Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7879808182838485868788...LastNext
Current Page: 83 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 7, 2020 18:26

I never had a goats head in soup, but I have had it from the grill (Easter in Greece), and it is delicious.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 7, 2020 18:32

I got the impression "they" did not say that, the writer of the article said that.

And I guess I am incorrect, I was always under the impression the tonic called Mannish Water was entirely different, in the country anyway. Maybe it was adopted for city people, but in the bush mannish water is a soup of herbs and roots.

jb

Posted by: wickerman ()
Date: September 7, 2020 18:52

Chris Fountain
Costs $1700.......

What costs that much?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 7, 2020 18:55

First impressions of GHS 2020 Deluxe..

I think having a totally new mix for the GHS 2020 album is definitely a huge plus for a re-release. It's a cool mix with many nuances not heard before.

Mr D 2020 is creepier with the wide separation of the back-up vocals - far left and far right. This may be the best Mr D?

100 Years Ago 2020 again has wide separation with Taylor's lead on top of the jam. I can hear that lead guitar like never before when is was a little blocked by other instruments in the mix. 100 Years Ago 2020 may not be as powerful as a mix as the original 1973 offering but it's great! A lot different.

The differences in these songs were very clear using headphones.

I'm not sure what I think of the rest of the GHS 2020 as I need to play it again and again. Star Star was cool and I finally like Can You Hear the Music in the 2020 mix. How could have never liked this song before and now it's soooo cool?

I believe the biggest gem of this album is the Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high-resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. The wide stereo separation is most likely designed for 5.1 surround sound. Maybe in a few years you can just purchase the 5.1 GHS 2020 for under $20?

The 10 bonus tracks I played six times! Can't get enough! Mr D bonus is way cool. Something totally different!

Heart breaker bonus is a real gem, especially the beginning. I think the released Heartbreaker was the right choice although I can see the argument for this outtake since it has some really cool intricate guitar work, especially in the very beginning! What a gem!

100 Years Ago bonus... if someone told me it's Jagger and Nicky Hopkins only, I'd think it would be worth releasing except for completest but I'd be wrong. I live 100 Years Ago and this piano demo is most enjoyable. Jagger is great and Hopkins is stunning. I can see Hopkins and Jagger wrote it. It's cool where it ends right before the jam. It shows what the rest of the band could do with it!

Hide Your Love bonus is my current favorite! I can feel/hear Mick's vocals get more intense as he builds from Taylor and Charlie. Mick is awesome in this unfinished version! Taylor sounds more like traditional Blues which is a prime example of how the Stones refined Taylor's guitar work. Taylor's jam is better here and the extra minute + of jamming is awesome! I'm not going to compare it to the normal version of Hide Your Love, even though it's similar, it's a whole other thing to me.

At first glance, Mr D atl mix bonus didn't do anything for me. Key elements of the song were buried but I'll get it more chances. May I just do't get it yet?

Silver Train bonus was most interesting. The original release is more powerful but this mix has some cool attributes. I particularly found interesting and cool is what's going on in the background behind the lead guitar solo! Way cool.

Scarlet is very cool to have. I think I like the remixes better. The War on Drugs mix adds a lot of Jagger vocals at the end giving it a cool ending. A cool beginning too and Jimmy Page's lead guitar is brought out on the War on Drugs mix but I'm not sure how much I like what they did to the verses making it sound bubblegum like, a little too pop.

Scarlet Killers mix is way cool. The beginning and end are a killers and Jac creation and works well. I'm not sure it Stones but it's definitely updated and doesn't sound like 1973 at all! One thing this song needed was someone to finish the beginning of the song in particular.

All The Rage is my other number one song right now. It's the epitome of a Rolling Stones song. It just sounds like StONES! I read Jagger just did the vocals this year but I'd never would have thought so. I like the video too. It looks and sounds like '73.

Criss Cross is great. I never really like the song before but I do now. Is the ending longer? It's way cool!

The videos for Criss Cross and Scarlet... WTF? I don't get it. Don't like'em either.

It's Sunday morning as I write this note and my doorbell just rang. It's DHL with my box from CD Japan!

This maybe the best reissue ever by anyone. I love so much, I'd have sex with it if I could! Scarlet...you breaking my heart...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-07 23:13 by exilestones.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 7, 2020 19:05

mike567
JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96
Saving the best for last, the '100 Years Ago' piano demo gets the recognition of the standout bonus track. Nicky Hopkins plays a stunningly beautiful piano along with Mick's wistful and wonderfully sung vocals.

Doesn't sound like Nicky's playing. Too many plain chords. In fact it's more than one piano. Maybe Billy preston doing chords and Nicky on top? Four hands playing?

You hear more than one piano? Gonna have to take a harder listen to it. Nicky plays on the album version. Could this be Mick on Piano?

i also hear two pianos
I know these are not always very accurate, but the youtube video list mick and Nicky on piano

Just read the review in Uncut magazine and they say it's Mick and Keith on the piano(s)...go figure.

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: September 7, 2020 19:26

Anyone on @#$%& before. To me it sounds like they have remixed on the censored version removing the censorship and as far as I remember that was originally a different version before the censor mix set in. Or is it just my mind and memory (I have lost my original original - it was worn out) that are puzzling me?

Mick - Goats Head Soup Interview
Date: September 4, 2020 19:15

[www.yahoo.com]

If Mick Jagger had his way, the "Goats Head Soup" album cover would've been a lot more literal.

Earlier this week, the Rolling Stones' Twitter account shared alternate artwork for the band's 1973 album, which will be re-released Friday. Among the prospective covers: A goat peering out from a simmering pot, nodding to the album's Jamaican origins. (It was mostly recorded in Jamaica, where the soup, known as "mannish water," is a delicacy.)

"The goat's head was my idea and it didn't really work out," Jagger tells USA TODAY. "The record company didn't like it, so we went with the more user-friendly portraits of the band in the end."

Interview: Mick Jagger talks first acting role in 19 years, assures he's 'fine' after heart surgery

"Goats Head Soup" was first released a year after "Exile on Main St.," which is now regarded as one of the Stones' best albums. "Goats" was met with mixed reviews from critics, but still managed to spawn a No. 1 hit in "Angie" on the Billboard Hot 100. The reissue features three lost songs by the legendary British rockers: "Criss Cross," "All the Rage" and "Scarlet," featuring Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.

Jagger, 77, called us up to chat about new music, lockdown and working with Page.

Question: Like 1972's “Exile on Main St.,” critics have started to come around on “Goats Head Soup” in recent years. What does the album mean to you?

Mick Jagger: I think there's some good things on it. It's quite varied. The lead-off track ("Angie") is a very wistful ballad with strings on it, and couldn't have been more different from what had come before on "Exile." The rest of the album is nothing like that – that's the only track that goes in that direction. You've got "Heartbreaker," a social comment that unfortunately is still a bit true these days. There's some Billy Preston-led stuff (like "100 Years Ago") and straight rock riffs like "Dancing with Mr. D." I don't really listen to the Stones albums as albums. I just listen to the songs individually, so I'm not sure where it stands.

Q: So if I'm correct, you recorded "Scarlet" with Jimmy Page in Keith Richards' basement?

Jagger: It was Ronnie (Woods') basement – I don't remember Keith ever having a basement. (Laughs.) I don't remember doing this particular version of it at all, but when I spoke to Jimmy, he remembered the session and talked me through it. And I said, "Yeah, OK. I believe you, Jimmy." So that one got out and dusted, and you know, it sounds good. I like the way Jimmy plays, and Jimmy and Keith play well together on that. I didn't do much to it – I added a little bit of percussion and did some vocals at the end of the track, when it starts to fade out. There's a bit more shouting at the end.

Q: Paul Mescal from Hulu's "Normal People" stars in the "Scarlet" video. Have you watched that show?

Jagger: Oh, yeah, I watched "Normal People." Yeah, yeah. It was good. It was funny and poignant and a very successful show in the U.K. Very enjoyable.

Q: You've talked a lot about "Scarlet" and "Criss Cross" in the leadup to this release, but what's the story behind "All the Rage?"

Jagger: I think we recorded that in Jamaica. It's lots of Mick Taylor playing some very nice guitar, Keith does his intros, and there weren't really any finished vocals on it. It was just me trying to figure something out. We probably did it a couple times and then never finished, so it was never released. So when the record company said they wanted to release this album, they sent me these three tracks. Because the mixes sounded so horrible, I had to get the master tracks and see what was there really.

When I did the vocals (for the reissue), I tried to get the feel of the period. I listened to some of the other tracks and tried to get a feel for what I was sounding like (back then) because otherwise it doesn't fit in right. But I like ("All the Rage"). The whole band plays really well on it, and Mick is pretty standout.

Q: In the process of putting together this reissue, did you discover more unfinished Stones material that you’d like to get out there at some point?

Jagger: I only listened to stuff pertaining to this album. I didn't listen to any other stuff. Every Stones album has stuff that's not finished or was for some reason left by the wayside. In retrospect, some of them are great, some of them are medium, some of them should be left alone forever. (Laughs.) And there are some good things. I mean, "Criss Cross" was a really good track that was finished. I don't know why it wasn't used on the (original) album. But there's lots of things that were in the vault that are still to come out.

Q: How's the new album coming along?

Jagger: I'm doing a lot of writing and I finished off a lot of tracks that we recorded. We'll see how it goes when we get together. The last (six) months, it's been quite hard to get together and studios aren't really open much. But we hope to get together soon and get on with it. I would really like if it was finished by the end of the year.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 7, 2020 20:10

UK albums midweek chart Friday/Sunday sales:

Declan McKenna bids for No.1 albums finish
Ben Homewood
by Ben Homewood
Monday, Sep 7th 2020 at 6:00PM

The Official Charts Company Midweek Sales Flash is in and Declan McKenna is the early leader in the albums race.

McKenna has 7,438 sales for Zeros so far and his closest challenger is The Rolling Stones’ reissue of their 1973 album Goats Head Soup (6,823 sales). Pop Smoke’s Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon (2,550 sales), Nines’ Crabs In A Bucket (2,402 sales) and Hurts’ Faith (2,219 sales) complete the Top 5.

[www.officialcharts.com]

Very low sales if we see all the promo around it, yet enough for a Top 2 debut next Friday.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 7, 2020 20:46

Steen G
Anyone on @#$%& before. To me it sounds like they have remixed on the censored version removing the censorship and as far as I remember that was originally a different version before the censor mix set in. Or is it just my mind and memory (I have lost my original original - it was worn out) that are puzzling me?

The censored version hasn't been out for years. It's not on the Virgin Remaster.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 7, 2020 20:49

The earlier version of Hide Your Love is sweet.

Date: September 7, 2020 21:09

Good to hear Keith kicking off the alternate Hide Your Love and Heartbreaker, as well as his acoustic on the latter in the Glyn Johns-mix.

This lays the 'Keith was absent during the GHS-sessions' to rest once and for all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-07 22:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 7, 2020 22:34

Dan thinks Hide Your Love bonus track doesn't sound like an early mix. He suspects that it is a tour rehearsal. I think he may be right. It doesn't sound like an early version.

He also thinks Dead Flowers bonus from Sticky Fingers Deluxe is a tour rehearsal.

Date: September 7, 2020 22:38

it's a different version, not an early mix.

Sounds like Taylor is searching for the phrases he would play on the studio version to me.

BTW, who's Dan? smiling smiley

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 7, 2020 22:53

You can hear Mick calling out chord changes like he does on a lot of early versions of songs. I would say this 'Hide Your Love' is definitely an early version.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: September 7, 2020 23:01

Dan, Can, the lavatory man.

Date: September 7, 2020 23:39

Dan is a Stones Fan Extraordinaire and a good friend. He's not on IORR.

"He also thinks Dead Flowers bonus from Sticky Fingers Deluxe is a tour rehearsal."

Dan says the Dead Flowers bonus (Sticky Fingers Deluxe) is very electric like a live version. it's a live arrangement.

Dan said his first impression of Hide Your Love bonus - "The way their playing like a live performance arrangement, fully developed with whole band and very aggressive. It's as a live performance, not a laid-back, lazy studio run through.

I had thought the Stones refined Taylor's playing for a more subtle album but I think Dan has it right. Dan said, "If they went from the Hide Your Love bonus to version that showed-up on the album, then they went the wrong direction!"

Do we have a list of the songs rehearsed foe the '73 tour of Europe? Do we have recordings to compare Hide You Love rehearsal? I'd bet we'd find this version of Hide Your Love.

Date: September 8, 2020 00:03

JordyLicks96
You can hear Mick calling out chord changes like he does on a lot of early versions of songs. I would say this 'Hide Your Love' is definitely an early version.

Yeah, he says "G!"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:04

Just curious, does anybody know if the Japan set has all the text, like in the extra book, in Japanese? I've never ordered a Japan release but thinking about it in the future but that would be a deal breaker if I can't read anything in the exclusive books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 00:06 by shadooby.

Date: September 8, 2020 00:08

Chris Fountain
I'm surprised out differently Dancing with Mr. D sounds-

Me too! I think the new mix gives it a whole new approach, very different.

I wonder if the 2020 stereo mix is a stereo fold down of the 5.1 mix?

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:16

Books are in English, not Japanese.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:23

shadooby
Just curious, does anybody know if the Japan set has all the text, like in the extra book, in Japanese? I've never ordered a Japan release but thinking about it in the future but that would be a deal breaker if I can't read anything in the exclusive books.
This strongly depends on edition.
Most have normal booklets in English and extra (usually black and white) booklet in Japanese.

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:34

ironbelly
shadooby
This strongly depends on edition.
Most have normal booklets in English and extra (usually black and white) booklet in Japanese.

The question is about the books in the super deluxe editions: language is English, not Japanese.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-08 00:37 by snarf2014.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:35

Thanks. Very cool set, worth $150? Meh. I still prefer the 1994 Virgin's as far as the original album goes, just my 2 cents.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:55

DandelionPowderman
Good to hear Keith kicking off the alternate Hide Your Love and Heartbreaker, as well as his acoustic on the latter in the Glyn Johns-mix.

This lays the 'Keith was absent during the GHS-sessions' to rest once and for all.

Just the first day. smiling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 8, 2020 00:59

I think the original Hide Your Love on GHS is the early version from the Sticky Fingers sessions. The alternate take sounds like they recorded it in Jamaica and probably relearned it. Ultimately, they preferred the earlier, raw take more and added overdubs.

Date: September 8, 2020 01:03

TravelinMan
I think the original Hide Your Love on GHS is the early version from the Sticky Fingers sessions. The alternate take sounds like they recorded it in Jamaica and probably relearned it. Ultimately, they preferred the earlier, raw take more and added overdubs.

Could be, judging by Taylor's guitar sound.

Date: September 8, 2020 01:08

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 8, 2020 01:19

TravelinMan

I definitely agree with this. I compared the guitar playing from Taylor on "Sway" to his guitar on "Hide Your Love" and the styles are VERY similar. Recorded at Olympic in October 1970.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: September 8, 2020 03:18

Anybody have the two Japanese extra tracks to share yet?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 8, 2020 03:31

..... I can whistle 'em for ya ......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7879808182838485868788...LastNext
Current Page: 83 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home