Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 4, 2020 22:42

So glad they didn't alter this... sounds fantastic!!

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 22:42

I'm lissenig now smileys with beer

Star Star Brussel

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 4, 2020 22:50

MrEcho

Is the 2015 Japanese Brussels version (Marquee bonus) the same as the 2020 Brussels version?
Yes. Peak by peak.
At least there are no DR4 like on the newly remixed album.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / Goats Head Soup CD1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR6 0.00 dB -7.09 dB 4:52 01-Dancing With Mr. D.
DR6 0.00 dB -7.71 dB 3:58 02-100 Years Ago
DR7 0.00 dB -9.38 dB 5:54 03-Coming Down Again
DR6 0.00 dB -7.01 dB 3:27 04-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
DR7 0.00 dB -8.85 dB 4:32 05-Angie
DR4 0.00 dB -5.37 dB 4:26 06-Silver Train
DR6 -0.07 dB -6.83 dB 4:12 07-Hide Your Love
DR7 0.00 dB -8.23 dB 5:29 08-Winter
DR7 0.00 dB -9.01 dB 5:32 09-Can You Hear the Music
DR5 0.00 dB -6.41 dB 4:24 10-Star Star

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR6

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 22:52 by ironbelly.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 23:09

The new mix of Goats Head Soup, while taking away it's original murkiness at times, provides a much more clear listening experience in accordance to the lead vocals and instruments. I noticed a lot less reverb in the 2020 mix as well. The bonus material is a real treat. While we already know about 'Scarlet' and 'Criss Cross', 'All The Rage' is a catchy, cowbell-rocker with new vocals from Jagger. The instrumentals of 'DWMD' and 'Heartbreaker' give us an inside look at the recordings in Jamaica of how these two songs evolved into the songs they would become. The album lists the bonus 'Hide Your Love' as an alternate mix, but it is clearly an alternate version, one that is much more bluesy and hard-hitting than it's finished version counterpart. The Glyn Johns 1973 mixes of 'DWMD' and 'Heartbreaker' give us another look at how differently these songs could have sounded on the original album. The 'Silver Train' version on here sounds like it has early lead vocals too. Saving the best for last, the '100 Years Ago' piano demo gets the recognition of the standout bonus track. Nicky Hopkins plays a stunningly beautiful piano along with Mick's wistful and wonderfully sung vocals.

I'd rank the Goats Head Soup reissue at #1 of the 4 reissues released thus far. It's a whole new listening experience of the original album and gives us the best batch of bonus material of the 4 reissues. Plus, we get the entire Brussels Affair concert as an added bonus. Goats Head Soup is the most underrated Stones album in their long, extensive catalogue, and this reissue is the appreciation it rightfully so deserves.

JordyLicks96 Rating: 10/10

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 23:12 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2020 00:04

For another quick teaser I'm listening to Star Star via spotify on a laptop right now (though not w/proper headphones), and it seems Micks vocals have been pushed forward quite a bit.
Granted my laptop's not the most optimal listening device, but if all the standard tracks on the original album have the vocals so loud it might take some getting used to.
Will hold out for the rest until later when I have some peace of mind, and will listen w/headphones which make a world of difference - at least on my laptop they do..
Hopefully the vocals aren't as pronounced and up front as it seems, but if so can always fall back to the vintage original album...I've always liked the murkiness...

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: September 5, 2020 01:18

JordyLicks96
The new mix of Goats Head Soup, while taking away it's original murkiness at times, provides a much more clear listening experience in accordance to the lead vocals and instruments. I noticed a lot less reverb in the 2020 mix as well. The bonus material is a real treat. While we already know about 'Scarlet' and 'Criss Cross', 'All The Rage' is a catchy, cowbell-rocker with new vocals from Jagger. The instrumentals of 'DWMD' and 'Heartbreaker' give us an inside look at the recordings in Jamaica of how these two songs evolved into the songs they would become. The album lists the bonus 'Hide Your Love' as an alternate mix, but it is clearly an alternate version, one that is much more bluesy and hard-hitting than it's finished version counterpart. The Glyn Johns 1973 mixes of 'DWMD' and 'Heartbreaker' give us another look at how differently these songs could have sounded on the original album. The 'Silver Train' version on here sounds like it has early lead vocals too. Saving the best for last, the '100 Years Ago' piano demo gets the recognition of the standout bonus track. Nicky Hopkins plays a stunningly beautiful piano along with Mick's wistful and wonderfully sung vocals.

I'd rank the Goats Head Soup reissue at #1 of the 4 reissues released thus far. It's a whole new listening experience of the original album and gives us the best batch of bonus material of the 4 reissues. Plus, we get the entire Brussels Affair concert as an added bonus. Goats Head Soup is the most underrated Stones album in their long, extensive catalogue, and this reissue is the appreciation it rightfully so deserves.

+1 thumbs up

Well... 11/10smoking smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 5, 2020 01:24

So would it be fair to say that DR-wise, it sucks? All three, the original release, the bonus tracks, and the Brussels recording? And by "original download", you mean the original download when the official Brussels was first offered? And that came in 9s and 10s, with one 11, on Angie, which makes sense because it goes from very soft sounds to Jagger nearly screaming into the mike.

What are DR specs for the original LP?

jb

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 5, 2020 01:27

JordyLicks96

thumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 01:32

JordyLicks96
Saving the best for last, the '100 Years Ago' piano demo gets the recognition of the standout bonus track. Nicky Hopkins plays a stunningly beautiful piano along with Mick's wistful and wonderfully sung vocals.

Doesn't sound like Nicky's playing. Too many plain chords. In fact it's more than one piano. Maybe Billy preston doing chords and Nicky on top? Four hands playing?

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Date: September 5, 2020 01:35

jbwelda
So would it be fair to say that DR-wise, it sucks? All three, the original release, the bonus tracks, and the Brussels recording? And by "original download", you mean the original download when the official Brussels was first offered? And that came in 9s and 10s, with one 11, on Angie, which makes sense because it goes from very soft sounds to Jagger nearly screaming into the mike.

What are DR specs for the original LP?

jb

I don ´t know the dynamic range of the new record, but it sounds fantastic.
To be clear, i ´m talking about the vinyl version.

Date: September 5, 2020 01:44

dandelion1967
JordyLicks96
Saving the best for last, the '100 Years Ago' piano demo gets the recognition of the standout bonus track. Nicky Hopkins plays a stunningly beautiful piano along with Mick's wistful and wonderfully sung vocals.

Doesn't sound like Nicky's playing. Too many plain chords. In fact it's more than one piano. Maybe Billy preston doing chords and Nicky on top? Four hands playing?

You hear more than one piano? Gonna have to take a harder listen to it. Nicky plays on the album version. Could this be Mick on Piano?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 5, 2020 02:00

Listening to CD1 in my car, it’s really improved. Damn this is fine sounding release. Mr. D. need not be murky, Jagger vocal phrases so much better. Could be the most beautiful album the Stones have made.

Mr. Martin please start working on IORR

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 5, 2020 02:50

The 2020 remix is Goats Head Soup pumped on air to the max. Not sure to hear where's the improvement...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 5, 2020 03:23

"sounds fantastic" is completely subjective and easily dismissed as anecdotal evidence. Dynamic range measurements do not lie. Thats what I was interested in, objective measurements and an analysis thereof.

thanks
jb

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 5, 2020 03:36

DrPete
Toru A
DrPete
Anyone heard the 2 Japanese bonus tracks yet?

Mick's sleepy vocal on 100 years ago is worth a listen.

I've come to realize Jim Horn's talent on this version of Can You Hear The Music.
Are they available for download anywhere or only if you buy the deluxe set from Japan?

100 YEARS AGO GLYN JOHNS 1973 MIX
4 minutes 17 seconds

CAN YOU HEAR THE MUSIC GLYN JOHNS 1973 MIX
5 minutes 32 seconds

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 03:42

JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96

You hear more than one piano? Gonna have to take a harder listen to it. Nicky plays on the album version. Could this be Mick on Piano?

i also hear two pianos
I know these are not always very accurate, but the youtube video list mick and Nicky on piano

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2020 05:13

JordyLicks96

I dig it, haven't played it very loud yet for mastering to be an issue. DWMD has more backing vocals in it, some howls; 100 Years Ago sounds great; Coming Down Again sounds great. Still getting through it and certainly some differences will come out just like the three Beatles albums did.

Double CD showed up but I'm not sure when I'll ever listen to it. Strictly on that note it may've been a waste of money. Maybe one day if I ever get a proper stereo system I'll give it a listen. This may be the last CD release I ever buy.

Date: September 5, 2020 05:16

mike567
JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96

i also hear two pianos
I know these are not always very accurate, but the youtube video list mick and Nicky on piano

Listened to it again and yup I hear two pianos!! I'd definitely say it's Mick and Nicky on piano

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: September 5, 2020 06:10

Finally someone lifted the shipping blankets off my speakers, and I can hear beautiful lp in all its glory! Hey, how many times has Mick rhymed money with honey? Star Star whoa! The solo is incredible.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 06:16

JordyLicks96
mike567
JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96

i also hear two pianos

Listened to it again and yup I hear two pianos!! I'd definitely say it's Mick and Nicky on piano

Same trick on Live with me: Russell on bass, Hopkins on top

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 07:36

JordyLicks96
mike567
JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96

i also hear two pianos

Definitely two pianos. Liner notes in the 2cd version state piano: Nicky Hopkins and Mick Jagger

Rod

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 5, 2020 08:36

Maindefender
Listening to CD1 in my car, it’s really improved. Damn this is fine sounding release. Mr. D. need not be murky, Jagger vocal phrases so much better. Could be the most beautiful album the Stones have made.

Mr. Martin please start working on IORR

I agree thumbs up

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 08:46

GasLightStreet
I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album but not Through The Lonely Nights (which apparently is not on Spotify, not sure about wherever else sans YouTube) - or anything else for that matter. Seems like a no brainer.
I agree, it is ridiculous. How did EverythingITTGold not find a spot on Some Girls deluxe? And, I haven't read the whole thread to see if anyone has a thought, but, as great as this package is, and it is fantastic, none of the newly unearthed material is better than Fast Talking, Slow Walking, imo.

Nonetheless, what a thrilling time. In a world of crazieness, this and Ghost Town, will really frame up this time in my mind.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 5, 2020 09:52

GasLightStreet
I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album

Where? I can't finnd them on my physical 2 CD version.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: September 5, 2020 10:12

wiredallnight
GasLightStreet
I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album

Where? I can't finnd them on my physical 2 CD version.

They should be on disc 2 (track 11 and 12) on the super deluxe 4 disc set. I didn't receive the physical discs yet, but I've seen, that they are downloadable via Amazon, if you bought the 4 disc set. Also available as a complete download set here: [www.qobuz.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-05 10:18 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: September 5, 2020 10:21

How many versions are there?!Deluxe edition is only with vinyls, no CD's?!?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 5, 2020 10:34

I hear there's an "Idiot edition" at rollingstones.com for 350 euro which is basically the single CD but you'll recieve a Fanclub DVD at a later point

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-05 10:38 by Erik_Snow.

Date: September 5, 2020 10:38

jbwelda
"sounds fantastic" is completely subjective and easily dismissed as anecdotal evidence. Dynamic range measurements do not lie. Thats what I was interested in, objective measurements and an analysis thereof.

thanks
jb

I really don’t like to have an dispute here.
In my opinion the DR is an important hint, if an record is sounding good.

There are many King Tubby and Lee Perry records in my collection with an really miserable dynamic range, and they sound like...mmmh...this music should sound (imho).

Maybe there are folks out there, who like the sound of RHCP „Californication“, i think it´ s an really bad production with an horrible DR.
What i want to say is, that there is no objectivity in listening to music.

I don’t know the DR of the new GHS Record.
The DR of the 2018 version, done by Miles Showell, is 11, just like a 1979 pressing (i have to trust here the dynamic range database).

The new version sounds to my ears (completely subjective of course) much better. Fantastic cool smiley

Date: September 5, 2020 10:45

mailexile67
How many versions are there?!Deluxe edition is only with vinyls, no CD's?!?

I wouldn’t call it deluxe edition, they say it´s a 4 LP Set....
No CDs and, what really hurts, no bookletconfused smiley

With last years „Abbey Road“ - Edition it was the same...äh....annoyance.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 5, 2020 10:46

mike567
JordyLicks96
dandelion1967
JordyLicks96

i also hear two pianos

Many articles the week prior to the release stated Keith playing on one end while Mick was at the other side.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home