Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:03

Brickwalling to some extent has been going on since all the way back to the last mid-century; they just couldn’t get away with it like they can on CD. People have always wanted their music louder than the next artist.

Many early CDs were straight transfers, so one of the main culprits on CD was “remastering” old albums. The idea gave new life to a record, and didn’t include the cost of a label paying for a new recording.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:21

Too bad theres not another version of Angie or Winter on the rarities disc, I love those songs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:40

Digital Deluxe-Edition: [www.HighResAudio.com] says "Sampling-rates Mixed in 24bit" - but has currently no further explanations about that.

Sounds like that Brussels Affair is not really HiRes 96kHz/24bit (but upsampled). HRA's quality assurance gives btw a HiRes-Guarantee: [www.HighResAudio.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 15:45 by Irix.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:44

gimme_shelter
I'm wondering if the 100 years ago demo/piano version has 2020 vocals? Or is it genuine 1973?

I love that it's hard to tell smiling bouncing smiley lol Mick sounds the same in 2020 and 1973

Date: September 4, 2020 15:52

NilsHolgersson
gimme_shelter
I'm wondering if the 100 years ago demo/piano version has 2020 vocals? Or is it genuine 1973?

I love that it's hard to tell smiling bouncing smiley lol Mick sounds the same in 2020 and 1973

It's clearly from 1972.

Date: September 4, 2020 15:55

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
dubclub
DandelionPowderman
I'm pretty sure this mix will be awesome on vinyl.

Yes it is drinking smiley

Todays CDs or other digital formats are very frequently so brickwalled, that it is no fun for me listening to those crappy mastered music.
One or two songs...ok, but the whole CD/Download in one piece...nope.

Back in the days, i guess in 2018, a good friend of mine was at my home for our regularly listening session (twice a month).
We were listening to Elvis Costellos "Look now" record, it´s a great sounding piece of vinyl.
A few days later he bought the CD.
A few weeks later he bought himself an record player, and stopped buying CDs (he owns about 6000eye rolling smiley) -except for some Jazz und CDs from small labels.

I would never say that all the records sound good or are better than the CD Version (how could i, don´t know them all), there are good sounding CDs out there, but the possibility that the record sounds better is really high.

When started the brickwalling thing - late 90s?

Early 2000s.

I second that. The vinyl sounds excellent thumbs up Listening right now.

Actually it started even earlier - with Oasis first albums. Another well known brickwalled album is Californication released in 1999.

It's not exactly the same, though. The real loudness war started later. If you compare What's The Story with St. Anger, I think you'll find a remarkable difference.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:55

Anyone heard the 2 Japanese bonus tracks yet? Everything else sounds amazing

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:57

Love the instrumentals...

When they return to live concerts would be perfect warm up music just prior to them hitting the stage.. followed by All The Rage as an opener cool smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 4, 2020 16:03

love HYL alt mix, it sounds like a different take of the song, brilliant

Date: September 4, 2020 16:05

maumau
love HYL alt mix, it sounds like a different take of the song, brilliant

Was just going to post similar... fantastic!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 4, 2020 16:10

KRiffhard
guezeg
I'm loving the remix so far. DWMD, ST, CYHTM and SF's dynamics are greatly improved. More detailed vocals and instruments, punchier drums give them much more consistency.

Finally a clean sound and a real drum thumbs up
Mick really shines!
[youtu.be]

Please give Giles (or whoever) a copy of IORR and Gimme Some Neck to work on over the Labor Day weekend.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 4, 2020 16:12

DrPete
Anyone heard the 2 Japanese bonus tracks yet?

Mick's sleepy vocal on 100 years ago is worth a listen.

I've come to realize Jim Horn's talent on this version of Can You Hear The Music.

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 4, 2020 16:16

DandelionPowderman
NilsHolgersson
gimme_shelter

It's clearly from 1972.

i love the track so much! but is it really from 1972/73?
the piano sounds very modern - comparing to the other piano sounds on "goats heads soup". maybe both, piano & vocal, from 2020? what do you think?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:02

NilsHolgersson
Too bad theres not another version of Angie or Winter on the rarities disc, I love those songs

Keith's Switzerland "rehab tapes"...winking smiley

Date: September 4, 2020 17:04

Damn, not picking up the 2CD until tonight. Ahhhhhh

Date: September 4, 2020 17:10

Maindefender

Damn, not picking up the 2CD until tonight.

In the meantime you can listen to it for free on Spotify: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:10

The 2 CD booklet 4 pages or so more than standard CD booklet; do you get the 2CD booklet as part of the Deluxe CD boxset?

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:30

It is difficult to get the cd in Mexico.

I will se if I find it somewhere this weekend

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:38

Did I miss it?

STONES COPY BEATLES AGAIN!

Anyone?

LOL!

Date: September 4, 2020 17:40

I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album but not Through The Lonely Nights (which apparently is not on Spotify, not sure about wherever else sans YouTube) - or anything else for that matter. Seems like a no brainer.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:41

I must say I’m loving this release. All the alt and instrumental tracks are such a pleasure to hear. I’m just driving around playing in my car. Thank you Rolling Stones for such a great gift and look into the music in this wonderful way.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:42

Piano version of 100 Years Ago is just mind blowing. STUNNING.

HIDE YOUR LOVE Alternate just rocks out. Adore it. Charlie is spectacular!

Glad this has come thru.

Note just want my deluxe boxes with Brussels vinyl.

Rod

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 4, 2020 17:54

GasLightStreet
I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album but not Through The Lonely Nights (which apparently is not on Spotify, not sure about wherever else sans YouTube) - or anything else for that matter. Seems like a no brainer.

[open.spotify.com]

Date: September 4, 2020 17:59

Irix
Maindefender

Damn, not picking up the 2CD until tonight.

In the meantime you can listen to it for free on Spotify: [iorr.org] .

Yes, but at work can't appreciate it properly. Thanks to all for the awesome build-up to this release and opinions upon release, especially something that is getting mostly favorable reviews.....Jagger states he'd like to have new album complete by year's end, here's to 2021 smileys with beer

Date: September 4, 2020 18:00

Blueranger
GasLightStreet

[open.spotify.com]

Where did that come up? Is it on their page? EDIT: ehhh, it's not playable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 18:01 by GasLightStreet.

Date: September 4, 2020 18:05

GasLightStreet

I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album but not Through The Lonely Nights (which apparently is not on Spotify, not sure about wherever else sans YouTube) - or anything else for that matter.

It was released on the IORR-Single: Wikipedia. Still available in the Singles-Box-Set (1971-2006): [Music.Apple.com] .

Date: September 4, 2020 18:20

Irix
GasLightStreet

I am a bit disappointed that 2 remixes of Scarlet are on the album but not Through The Lonely Nights (which apparently is not on Spotify, not sure about wherever else sans YouTube) - or anything else for that matter.

It was released on the IORR-Single: Wikipedia. Still available in the Singles-Box-Set (1971-2006): [Music.Apple.com] .

LOL I know where it's from, I meant, on Spotify. I entered the song name and nothing came up. Seeing that page for that release and how it's not playable, well, it's not playable.

Date: September 4, 2020 18:24

The Rolling Stones
@RollingStones
UK fans… Introducing the LTD Goats Head Soup 2020 Stones Pantone Red LP!

Extremely limited run with only 500 available online now Tongue Goat Bowl with spoon

Grab your copy while you can

[the-rolling-stones.lnk.to]

[twitter.com]

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 18:24

All the Rage is a cookin' groove; has that sleazy Stones rhythm and boogie. Loved it as a bootleg with rough Mick vocal but even more so now with an actually great 2020 Mick vocal

The video with '73 super 8mm clips (I think?) is wonderful. That was the very first thing I sought out this morn on YouTube.

My local record store here usually not great with new releases, had 3 of the 4 sets (standard CD, 2 CD, 4 LP set, but missing the one I wanted, the CD deluxe. Ordered it from TowerRecords Dublin so toward end of next week hopefully it shall arrive.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 18:29

Hide your Love (alternate) is the best 5 mins and 18 seconds of music that I've heard all year

And All the Rage just reinforces for me that Goats Head Soup was my favourite Stones album of all time (it helps that I was 19 when it came out) but this album has everything that made them the greatest

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home