Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 4, 2020 09:37

Date: September 4, 2020 09:51

OMG...this is hot stuff!!!!!
I'm feeling good old vibes!!!

Hide your love (alt.)
[youtu.be]

100 years ago (piano demo)
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 4, 2020 09:54

Sounding pretty good. Nice that Brussels Affair is included on Spotify. I will pass on the physical versions this time, I'm good with streaming.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 4, 2020 10:17

Love the alternative Hide Your Love, too!

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: September 4, 2020 10:25

I'm loving the remix so far. DWMD, ST, CYHTM and SF's dynamics are greatly improved. More detailed vocals and instruments, punchier drums give them much more consistency.

Date: September 4, 2020 10:30

guezeg
I'm loving the remix so far. DWMD, ST, CYHTM and SF's dynamics are greatly improved. More detailed vocals and instruments, punchier drums give them much more consistency.

Finally a clean sound and a real drum thumbs up
Mick really shines!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 10:53

The piano version of 100 Years Ago - how nice it sounds! What a beautiful song!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:09

All the Rage, 100 Years Ago (Piano), Hide Your Love (Alt.) are must haves! The rest from the CD 2 is nice to have.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:13

Loving it, just loving it! 100 Years Ago piano, Mr. D instrumental, the rollicking All the Rage. And the album itself greatly improved.

That is some nice voodoo smiling smiley

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:17

All The Rage backing vid looks to be 1973 London/Brussels + some photos from Australia 1973.

[www.youtube.com]

Does this mean they got their hands on the BBC taping of the show in decent quality?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:20

guezeg
Guys, drink use the word 'dynamics' responsibly.
For this release there is virtually no dynamics. The record is brickwalled.

Old CBS CD has average DR11 with tracks in 10-12 range
Virgin CD has similar values (DR 10-12) but is a tad louder.
2009 remaster (the hated one) is DR6 with tracks in 5-7 range
2013 Japanese flat transfer DR10 (9-11)
2020 new mix DR6 (Silver Train DR4, Star, Star DR5). In places it is worth in terms of dynamics than 2009 remaster.

The fact that some instruments and/or vocals sound louder or can be heard more clear does not necessarily mean the record has better dynamic range. Punch and loudness, or better to say - brickwall is the proper term for this record, but not dynamics.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:21

Mick Tyalor, friends, Miick Taylor.
What a sound...

Date: September 4, 2020 11:27

pepganzo
Mick Tyalor, friends, Miick Taylor.
What a sound...

More treble than on the original album. Some of the flow / smoothness in his tone is lost, imo, especially on Winter.

But it's a matter of taste, and knitpicking. It sounds good smiling smiley

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:37

My bad ! I meant that more details and interactions between vocals, instruments and drums can be heard which make these mixes more lively.

A less compressed sound would be even better I guess.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: September 4, 2020 11:42

The extra material just shows how important Nicky Hopkins was. We all know his influence on Angie and Coming Down Again, but it seems like he maybe should have had some real song writing credit for 100 Years Ago (if that really is him playing piano on the demo as opposed to Billy Preston’s clavinet on the original recording). Also seems like the riff on Dancing With Mr. D was indeed a Hopkins piano riff and not a Keef guitar riff to begin with.

Date: September 4, 2020 11:52

ironbelly
guezeg

2020 new mix DR6 (Silver Train DR4, Star, Star DR5). In places it is worth in terms of dynamics than 2009 remaster.

The fact that some instruments and/or vocals sound louder or can be heard more clear does not necessarily mean the record has better dynamic range. Punch and loudness, or better to say - brickwall is the proper term for this record, but not dynamics.

It's perfectly possible that the mix is improved AND that the record is brickwalled because of the mastering, though (as might be the case here) smiling smiley

Date: September 4, 2020 12:07

The Glyn Johns Dancing With Mr. D must be the Taylorites' wet dream smiling smiley

He's really high in the mix there, although Johns takes "muddy" to a new level with this mix, imo.

Is there an acoustic guitar in the right channel on his mix of Heartbreaker, btw? I only hear the percussive elements of (what I think is) strumming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-04 12:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 4, 2020 12:08

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
guezeg

It's perfectly possible that the mix is improved AND that the record is brickwalled because of the mastering, though (as might be the case here) smiling smiley
Sure, instruments are better separated in terms left<->right but still... Everything is upfront and in your face. There is not breath and space in the record. You just hear everything at the same level, nothing is hidden.

Date: September 4, 2020 12:10

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
guezeg

Sure, instruments are better separated in terms left<->right but still... Everything is upfront and in your face. There is not breath and space in the record. You just hear everything at the same level, nothing is hidden.

Not only are they placed, panned and separated better, but Martin has also worked with the instruments' tone.

Date: September 4, 2020 12:24

I'm pretty sure this mix will be awesome on vinyl.

Date: September 4, 2020 12:29

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
guezeg

Not only are they placed, panned and separated better, but Martin has also worked with the instruments' tone.
Sure. Tonality of the instruments is different.
But still... That strange muddy (and a bit mystic) sound is gone. I am not sure I want to have all in my face. And for sure I do not want to hear some screams that were hidden in the old mix winking smiley. BTW, the beginning of Coming Down Again is very strange. Bass on the same level as other instruments and then you got extremely loud PUSHSHSHSFFFF from Charlie. Not natural at all. Or at best very different from what we heard for 47 years.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: September 4, 2020 12:50

I'm wondering if the 100 years ago demo/piano version has 2020 vocals? Or is it genuine 1973?

Date: September 4, 2020 13:07

Hmmm...
Was it posted here already?
It seems that Glyn Jones 1973 mix has channels swapped left<->right with respect to the original album.
Another interesting point - static from Mick Taylor's guitar in Heartbreaker around 1.50-1.55. There are two static/electrical contact 'scratch' sounds. There are present on old CBS CD and on bonus Glyn Jones 1973 mix but cleared for all other editions and are missing on bonus instrumental.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: September 4, 2020 13:56

DandelionPowderman

Yes it is drinking smiley

Todays CDs or other digital formats are very frequently so brickwalled, that it is no fun for me listening to those crappy mastered music.
One or two songs...ok, but the whole CD/Download in one piece...nope.

Back in the days, i guess in 2018, a good friend of mine was at my home for our regularly listening session (twice a month).
We were listening to Elvis Costellos "Look now" record, it´s a great sounding piece of vinyl.
A few days later he bought the CD.
A few weeks later he bought himself an record player, and stopped buying CDs (he owns about 6000eye rolling smiley) -except for some Jazz und CDs from small labels.

I would never say that all the records sound good or are better than the CD Version (how could i, don´t know them all), there are good sounding CDs out there, but the possibility that the record sounds better is really high.

When started the brickwalling thing - late 90s?

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 4, 2020 14:03

Great stuff here. Loving it so far.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: September 4, 2020 14:27

ironbelly

But still... That strange muddy (and a bit mystic) sound is gone. I am not sure I want to have all in my face. And for sure I do not want to hear some screams that were hidden in the old mix winking smiley. BTW, the beginning of Coming Down Again is very strange. Bass on the same level as other instruments and then you got extremely loud PUSHSHSHSFFFF from Charlie. Not natural at all. Or at best very different from what we heard for 47 years.

That´s what confused me when i listended for the first time to Dancing with Mr D on the new record.
But very quickly i get used to the new sound and i really like it.

Date: September 4, 2020 14:32

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
guezeg

Sure. Tonality of the instruments is different.

Taylor's bass was always too loud in the intro there.

Btw, listening to the vinyl right now, and it sounds spectacular thumbs up

Date: September 4, 2020 14:34

dubclub
DandelionPowderman

Todays CDs or other digital formats are very frequently so brickwalled, that it is no fun for me listening to those crappy mastered music.

Back in the days, i guess in 2018, a good friend of mine was at my home for our regularly listening session (twice a month).
We were listening to Elvis Costellos "Look now" record, it´s a great sounding piece of vinyl.
A few weeks later he bought himself an record player, and stopped buying CDs (he owns about 6000eye rolling smiley) -except for some Jazz und CDs from small labels.

I would never say that all the records sound good or are better than the CD Version (how could i, don´t know them all), there are good sounding CDs out there, but the possibility that the record sounds better is really high.

Early 2000s.

I second that. The vinyl sounds excellent thumbs up Listening right now.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 4, 2020 14:43

DandelionPowderman
dubclub
DandelionPowderman

Early 2000s.

I second that. The vinyl sounds excellent thumbs up Listening right now.

Actually it started even earlier - with Oasis first albums. Another well known brickwalled album is Californication released in 1999.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 4, 2020 15:01

Just got my 2 cd copy, listening to it now. Love it! All the Rage! The piano version of 100 Years Ago is a gem

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7071727374757677787980...LastNext
Current Page: 75 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1972
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home