Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 20:36

GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
bye bye johnny
Keith doesn't live in Greenwich.
You are right,he lives in an adjacent town to Greenwichcalled Weston which is also bland suburbia.Located about an hours drive north of NYC. it’s even more boring than Greenwich.Its not on the Long Island Sound ,and it has nothing special in terms of topography.Nice upscale suburban community with no nightlifeNice little town,expensive.Pretty woods and foliage, but not like living on the Isle of Capri or the South of France

Bland suburbia...

Let's see. It's not far from Long Island Sound. Keith's home is surrounded by forests.
It's similar to where I live: across the lake from New Orleans, surrounded by trees and bayous and it's generally quiet.

Explain what's boring and bland and in comparison to what doesn't qualify as boring and bland for you.
Ive lived within 20 miles of Weston most of my life.It is not surrounded by forests.It has wooded areas but they are not forests.There is nothing that beautiful about the topography.No mountains,large lakes or ocean.It is not country living either as there is quite a lot of suburban development.Mostly upscale white people.No museums, nightclubs, or sports teams.The closest city is Stamford, about 10 miles away.And Stamford is a small city.Weston is great to raise kids or if you want a real upscale suburban existence, but it is boring.Its great like I said to raise your kids and wiz over to the local Starbucks, but not a wild place.Thinking of the guy throwing the tv out of the hotel room in CS Blues, I can’t picture him living there

So you're uptight and disappointed that Keith lives in the middle of nowhere.

I looked at it on Google Maps - tons of trees around. That's forest.

You have a skewed vision of what life is it seems. You describe what it doesn't have as if it's not the city.

How enlightening.

Gee, it's not a city.

Goddamn. Stop whining.
I think I’m more qualified than someone like you who has never been there to talk about what it’s like there.America has many spectacular places like the lands in Utah and California, beaches like the Big Sur, Floridaand Cape Cod . Great, exciting cities like NYC, Miami, SanFrancisco.Thats why international tourists flock to them.There are no tourists who flock to Weston or Fairfield County where it is located.There are no forests for hunters or tourists to look at beautiful mountains or lakes.Its bland upscale suburban living. Going to Starbucks or the ice cream shop is the big Saturday night event for most people.Again,a great place for families.Very wholesome.But if I had his money I’d live somewhere spectacularly beautiful like the Isle of Capri. You should really go to Weston and see for yourself ,before you judge my comments Im not upset he doesn’t live in the city. But it’s not a country estate really .Its pure upscale NYC suburbia.Which is great.It just strikes me as funny that the rock n roll King lives there.Next time you are in New York you and I will take a ride to Westonand hang out at the ice cream shop.Maybe Keith will be there

I've been all around New England and New York. I know enough, I've seen enough. I just don't understand why you're so disappointed. It's like your little hero has let you down. It makes zero sense. And you keep bringing up Starbucks etc, like that is some kind of barometer for culture - it's just a coffee place. For whatever reason you're using that as a gauge. It's fake.

If you had his money... you don't have his mindset or life experience. Money has nothing to do with it. There's probably very good reason for why it was decided to live there and it's clearly reason that you are not able to be cognizant of.
Im not disappointed and he’s not my little hero.And I bet I have more money than you think, but all I’m saying it’s a boring place.Im not questioning why he moved there.Im just saying it’s funny.If you lived here, which you obviously don’t, you would’ve,what’s that big word you used,be”cognizant” of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-01 20:38 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 1, 2020 20:41

Not sure why it matters so much where Keith lives, or why...shouldn't we be arguing over GHS deluxe bonus tracks or something relevant instead? lol

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: September 1, 2020 21:56

This is beginning to feel like I'm on Facebook or something. You two get a room or something who gives a f**K ??
Back to GHS has anyone gotten a shipping update or notice?

Posted by: biggzee ()
Date: September 1, 2020 22:21

quietbeatle
did anyone record that Planet Rock special?

mp3 and FLAC

Planet Rock Goat's Head Soup Special

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: September 1, 2020 22:33

georgelicks
Release Date: Friday August 28
2CD's with extra tracks

Source: 40x5 Tribute Bar
[m.facebook.com]
Every time I see this I am very funny!
JAJAJAJA!
a poor little bar wanting to throw away a scoop that has no sustenance

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 1, 2020 23:45

biggzee
quietbeatle

mp3 and FLAC

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 2, 2020 01:14

yes, back to GHS, and the expectations and possible ultimate disappointment.

As I have said before, it was recorded in Jamaica in the early 70s. (I am sure lots of work was done afterward too.) Top flight 1st world recording equipment and techniques did not exist there during the time, even in the most exclusive (read: not reggae) studio on the island. The tapes sound like they do and I would caution about expecting miracles in the sound department.

Giles Martin or whoever will be able to do some improvements, possibly, but ultimately as mentioned by others so often in discussing new reissues, you will have to contend with "brickwall" mastering, and my guess is that the basic sound will remain the same as or very close to the original, though even more compressed and then turned up level wise. Which is not bad, the original I mean...although it is not state of the art it does have its own "sound" and tone, something I noticed from the beginning and hope is retained in this update.

My point though is to say, not to expect miracles, possibly it will sound a little better but probably not earthshakingly different. If you didn't like the sound before, you will probably not like the sound now. Again, I think the sound and ambiance of the original fit the material perfectly. Its a smoky, dense sounding mix and reeks of the time and place.

In fact, I would be interested in knowing what they had for masters to mix with. Did they have the actual 8 or 16 or 24 or whatever track tapes to use? Or are they working with mixed down masters, or possibly even just the final mix of the LP as it was back when originally released? Anyone have a link to semi technical information like that?

jb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 2, 2020 02:00

jbwelda

Giles Martin or whoever will be able to do some improvements, possibly, but ultimately as mentioned by others so often in discussing new reissues, you will have to contend with "brickwall" mastering, and my guess is that the basic sound will remain the same as or very close to the original, though even more compressed and then turned up level wise. Which is not bad, the original I mean...although it is not state of the art it does have its own "sound" and tone, something I noticed from the beginning and hope is retained in this update.

My point though is to say, not to expect miracles, possibly it will sound a little better but probably not earthshakingly different. If you didn't like the sound before, you will probably not like the sound now. Again, I think the sound and ambiance of the original fit the material perfectly. Its a smoky, dense sounding mix and reeks of the time and place.

That's all pure speculation. Wait until it's out. In exactly 37 hours from now you can hear the 1st snippets of GHS 2020 on iTunes (NZ-Store) - [Music.Apple.com] .

Date: September 2, 2020 02:43

Irix
jbwelda

That's all pure speculation. Wait until it's out. In exactly 37 hours from now you can hear the 1st snippets of GHS 2020 on iTunes (NZ-Store) - [Music.Apple.com] .

Well said...thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: September 2, 2020 04:01

Yeah thats all speculation. Lets talk about where Keith lives or something more relevant.

PS: this is not speculation.

"If you didn't like the sound before, you will probably not like the sound now."

Just wait and watch.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 05:23 by jbwelda.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2020 04:27

Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
GasLightStreet
Taylor1
bye bye johnny
Keith doesn't live in Greenwich.
You are right,he lives in an adjacent town to Greenwichcalled Weston which is also bland suburbia.Located about an hours drive north of NYC. it’s even more boring than Greenwich.Its not on the Long Island Sound ,and it has nothing special in terms of topography.Nice upscale suburban community with no nightlifeNice little town,expensive.Pretty woods and foliage, but not like living on the Isle of Capri or the South of France

Bland suburbia...

Let's see. It's not far from Long Island Sound. Keith's home is surrounded by forests.
It's similar to where I live: across the lake from New Orleans, surrounded by trees and bayous and it's generally quiet.

Explain what's boring and bland and in comparison to what doesn't qualify as boring and bland for you.
Ive lived within 20 miles of Weston most of my life.It is not surrounded by forests.It has wooded areas but they are not forests.There is nothing that beautiful about the topography.No mountains,large lakes or ocean.It is not country living either as there is quite a lot of suburban development.Mostly upscale white people.No museums, nightclubs, or sports teams.The closest city is Stamford, about 10 miles away.And Stamford is a small city.Weston is great to raise kids or if you want a real upscale suburban existence, but it is boring.Its great like I said to raise your kids and wiz over to the local Starbucks, but not a wild place.Thinking of the guy throwing the tv out of the hotel room in CS Blues, I can’t picture him living there

So you're uptight and disappointed that Keith lives in the middle of nowhere.

I looked at it on Google Maps - tons of trees around. That's forest.

You have a skewed vision of what life is it seems. You describe what it doesn't have as if it's not the city.

How enlightening.

Gee, it's not a city.

Goddamn. Stop whining.
I think I’m more qualified than someone like you who has never been there to talk about what it’s like there.America has many spectacular places like the lands in Utah and California, beaches like the Big Sur, Floridaand Cape Cod . Great, exciting cities like NYC, Miami, SanFrancisco.Thats why international tourists flock to them.There are no tourists who flock to Weston or Fairfield County where it is located.There are no forests for hunters or tourists to look at beautiful mountains or lakes.Its bland upscale suburban living. Going to Starbucks or the ice cream shop is the big Saturday night event for most people.Again,a great place for families.Very wholesome.But if I had his money I’d live somewhere spectacularly beautiful like the Isle of Capri. You should really go to Weston and see for yourself ,before you judge my comments Im not upset he doesn’t live in the city. But it’s not a country estate really .Its pure upscale NYC suburbia.Which is great.It just strikes me as funny that the rock n roll King lives there.Next time you are in New York you and I will take a ride to Westonand hang out at the ice cream shop.Maybe Keith will be there

I've been all around New England and New York. I know enough, I've seen enough. I just don't understand why you're so disappointed. It's like your little hero has let you down. It makes zero sense. And you keep bringing up Starbucks etc, like that is some kind of barometer for culture - it's just a coffee place. For whatever reason you're using that as a gauge. It's fake.

If you had his money... you don't have his mindset or life experience. Money has nothing to do with it. There's probably very good reason for why it was decided to live there and it's clearly reason that you are not able to be cognizant of.
Im not disappointed and he’s not my little hero.And I bet I have more money than you think, but all I’m saying it’s a boring place.Im not questioning why he moved there.Im just saying it’s funny.If you lived here, which you obviously don’t, you would’ve,what’s that big word you used,be”cognizant” of that.

YAWNNNNNNN.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2020 04:28

Hairball
Not sure why it matters so much where Keith lives, or why...shouldn't we be arguing over GHS deluxe bonus tracks or something relevant instead? lol

I dunno. I guess he's eternally bored.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 09:06

Thank you so much for the link to the Planet Rock Special!! smileys with beer

Great to hear a little bit of the early instrumentals for "Dancing With Mr. D" and "Heartbreaker."

The early "DWMD" instrumental is VERY different to how the finished version would end up. It sounds like a very upbeat jam, with a prominent slide guitar, horns and far from the brooding funk song it would become. In fact, it sounds much more in line of something that came from EXILE.

The "Heartbreaker" instrumental is an early workout of the song being done on an acoustic guitar, with horns and Billy's clavinet. The basic rhythm of the finished track is coming into fruition.

The "DWMD" instrumental comes on at (4:35)
The "Heartbreaker" instrumental comes on at (18:25)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 09:10 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 10:55

GasLightStreet
hockenheim95
The question is what was his job. Was he engaged to improve the original mix or was it his job to do a completely new and modern mix? We will hear on Friday

A new mix is a new mix. There's no way to improve the original mix. That would require a board with memory and to my knowledge that didn't exist in 1973.

It wouldn't be surprising if there is a little more clarity with Giles' mix.

Technically you are right but of course Mick can say "it should sound like the old mix but with improved sound" or he could say "here are the original tapes. Now you can play with it however you like and create something completely new"

Date: September 2, 2020 13:11

hockenheim95
GasLightStreet
hockenheim95
The question is what was his job. Was he engaged to improve the original mix or was it his job to do a completely new and modern mix? We will hear on Friday

A new mix is a new mix. There's no way to improve the original mix. That would require a board with memory and to my knowledge that didn't exist in 1973.

It wouldn't be surprising if there is a little more clarity with Giles' mix.

Technically you are right but of course Mick can say "it should sound like the old mix but with improved sound" or he could say "here are the original tapes. Now you can play with it however you like and create something completely new"

Right, “make it sound like it’s a 2020 release.“ Honestly I never considered GHS their best but now that we’ve been able to look beyond the veil could reconsider...thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 2, 2020 13:48

biggzee
quietbeatle

mp3 and FLAC

smileys with beer Thanks!

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: September 2, 2020 14:55

From something called Culture Sonar ...

"Goats Head Soup is the band’s greatest tribute to the soul idiom, a love letter to the blues music that so captivated them and a riveting showcase of Mick Jagger’s vocal abilities at their most zestful and anarchic."

[www.culturesonar.com]

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: September 2, 2020 15:01

the new giles martin mix sounds great.
listen to the "planet-rock-special".
clear & dark at the same time.
fantastic sound of drums & bass.
great job!

and what a pleasure to have such a different "dancing with mr.d" - great slide work by mick taylor, horns.....like an outtake from exile!

Date: September 2, 2020 15:36

The lead vocals are higher in the mix.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 2, 2020 15:50

FoolToCry

and what a pleasure to have such a different "dancing with mr.d" - great slide work by mick taylor, horns.....like an outtake from exile!

Really sounds great!!
As does the instrumental of Heartbreaker.. looking forward to both.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: September 2, 2020 16:10

Thanks so much! Awesomeness

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 2, 2020 18:34

Just from that episode I think they sound great as well. Silver Train must have been a tough one though. The intro to the instrumental of Heartbreaker is captivating.

I like that Jagger said Taylor played a great bassline on Criss Cross, yet their credits are still messed up, c’mon Universal!!

Jagger also said he played the “other guitar” on Criss Cross. He didn’t sound fully sure of himself though haha.

Everyone says Stu is on Scarlett...where!?

Date: September 2, 2020 18:41

Dare I ask who's playing acoustic on Bonus disc Heartbreaker? Yes I dare...smiling smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 2, 2020 18:48

I listened to planet rock and the drums especially on 100 years ago really strode out so very curious about the new mix

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 19:37

ChrisL

"Goats Head Soup is the band’s greatest tribute to the soul idiom, a love letter to the blues music that so captivated them and a riveting showcase of Mick Jagger’s vocal abilities at their most zestful and anarchic."

[www.culturesonar.com]
This guy says Taylor was more of a writer than guitarist on GHS.That Taylor was a writer of Winter .Taylor played steel guitar on Dancing With Mr D? He also says his acoustic guitar stands out on Angie.I can barely hear his guitar on Angie.And he says Taylor plays “wah wah pedal” on Heartbreaker. Is any of that accurate?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 19:42 by Taylor1.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 2, 2020 19:38

Maindefender
Dare I ask who's playing acoustic on Bonus disc Heartbreaker? Yes I dare...smiling smiley

It's ok to ask as long as you don't mention his name!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 2, 2020 20:03

Taylor1
ChrisL

[www.culturesonar.com]
This guy says Taylor was more of a writer than guitarist on GHS.That Taylor was a writer of Winter .Taylor played steel guitar on Dancing With Mr D? He also says his acoustic guitar stands out on Angie.I can barely hear his guitar on Angie.And he says Taylor plays “wah wah pedal” on Heartbreaker. Is any of that accurate?

The Taylor wah wah statement is still open to debate as their might be some very subtle wah wah sprinkled within various parts, and back when the album was released Keith himself said Taylor played wah wah.
How much, how little, or if there's actually any at all is one of those questions we may never get the full answer to as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how much GHS "is a love letter to the blues music" as the writer states though, unless he's referring mainly to the bluesy Hide Your Love.
Yeah there's other hints and traces of bluesiness here and/or there (after all it's their roots), but to say the album is a "love letter" to the blues?
And is GHS really their "greatest tribute to the soul idiom"? In what ways? Maybe Coming Down Again and Winter have some soulful shades,
along with other hints here and/or there throughout, but is the album as a whole really their "greatest tribute" to the genre?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 20:05 by Hairball.

Date: September 2, 2020 20:04

Taylor1
ChrisL

[www.culturesonar.com]

No. But his 12-string on Angie is audible. He's strumming, though.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 2, 2020 20:43

Probably confusing steel with slide guitar.

Date: September 2, 2020 21:56

TravelinMan
Probably confusing steel with slide guitar.

Indeed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home