Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 6, 2020 00:59

Taylor1
They should try to play IORR in the tempo of the studio version,especially since Jagger is obsessed for 30 years with recreating the studio versions live.

That's a rather exaggerated claim. JJF does not have the intro as it does on the studio cut, there are solos in songs that don't exist on the studio cut and you mention IORR being in a different key. They reworked 19th Nervous Breakdown in 2005 as major departure from the original. The Last Time had a more rock vibe when they did it in 1997-98. They only brought it back to that original vibe a couple times in 2012.

To our ears they may sound like mirror copies of the studio versions since we've heard them on stage so many times but I doubt any casual fan would agree if they heard literally any live version of any song. What you are describing falls more in line with what Paul McCartney does with his band. Not only do they duplicate the studio versions, they will keep the same guitar tones and sonic aesthetic as the original recordings. That is not how the Stones work at all.

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 6, 2020 01:21

What cracks me up is they see fit to censor "pussy" but what about all the "@#$%&"s going on? Of course they censored the title or the Stones self-censored themselves on the title, but to obscure the p word while leaving the numerous f bombs really doesn't make sense...not to mention lines like "giving head to Steve McQueen".

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 02:20

How many under 30 year olds know who Steve McQueen was.Maybe some know John Wayne.

Date: August 6, 2020 02:25

At the time the song was released, pretty much all of them (us).

jb

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: August 6, 2020 03:03

Taylor1
How many under 30 year olds know who Steve McQueen was.Maybe some know John Wayne.

Wasnt he the director of 12 Years a Slave

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 6, 2020 03:16

Isn’t there a photo ofWyman having dinner with McQueen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 03:17 by Taylor1.

Re: censored "STAR STAR" on new GHS release?
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 6, 2020 09:56

TIRED
Not sure this has been discussed in this forum already...

There was a Stones release of STAR STAR some years ago in which the part "keep your pussy clean" was overdubbed in such a way that the words could hardly be heard.

Can we expect the same mutilation in the new GHS release?

What's the general opinion on such alterations of past Stones songs?

Some of the lyrics in UNDER MY THUMB were also changed during the No-Filter tour, I wonder what/who led to that regrettable decision.

Bending to political correctness somehow contradicts the freedom the Stones always stood for.

They should urgently overdub 'Stray cat blues" on GYYO where Jagger sings about sex with a 13-year-old girl.... Does it really match the present political correctness?

I never understood why they overdubbed any lyrics when one of the Rolling Stones' striking features was promoting sexual liberties. But today as most fans have aged with the Group it seems quite embarassing, doesn't it?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2020 10:28

it seems quite embarassing, doesn't it?

No ... why is it embarrassing ???

ROCKMAN

Re: censored "STAR STAR" on new GHS release?
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 6, 2020 16:26

saltoftheearth
TIRED
Not sure this has been discussed in this forum already...

There was a Stones release of STAR STAR some years ago in which the part "keep your pussy clean" was overdubbed in such a way that the words could hardly be heard.

Can we expect the same mutilation in the new GHS release?

What's the general opinion on such alterations of past Stones songs?

Some of the lyrics in UNDER MY THUMB were also changed during the No-Filter tour, I wonder what/who led to that regrettable decision.

Bending to political correctness somehow contradicts the freedom the Stones always stood for.

They should urgently overdub 'Stray cat blues" on GYYO where Jagger sings about sex with a 13-year-old girl.... Does it really match the present political correctness?

I never understood why they overdubbed any lyrics when one of the Rolling Stones' striking features was promoting sexual liberties. But today as most fans have aged with the Group it seems quite embarassing, doesn't it?

It’s a social commentary, not a personal fantasy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-06 16:27 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 6, 2020 17:41

Thank you. Thank you very kindly.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 7, 2020 03:29

NilsHolgersson
Taylor1

Wasnt he the director of 12 Years a Slave

chortle

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 7, 2020 10:50

Rockman
it seems quite embarassing, doesn't it?

No ... why is it embarrassing ???

As usual Terry is SPOT ON! Why would sex be embarrasing? I will get my rocks off until the day I die, even if it means I have to go to extreme measures (not gonna elaborate more on the subject thoughgrinning smiley

Date: August 7, 2020 10:55

They just fade Maxeeeeeee
The mother-in-laws just get em ... tone em down .... hhhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2020 10:57

Rockman
They just fade Maxeeeeeee

You could say that again Terry!!!!smileys with beer

Date: August 7, 2020 10:59

okay .... if you insist

they just fade Maxeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2020 11:19

Hehehehe winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 7, 2020 20:18

Can we expect another sneak preview single release prior to Sept. 5th?
Maybe they're gearing up to unleash All the Rage....
Hope so..........................thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2020 21:37

With Google getting rid of Google Play Music and making people transfer their music library to YouTube Music, unlike with Google Play Music, in order to just listen to your purchased or downloaded or uploaded music you will have to pay a monthly fee for no commercials.

I used to think AmazonMusic was a joke because it's limited but suddenly it's looking better - I'll be able to listen to my purchased music there without commercials. I didn't need the album again but at this point I'll take it. I have the Virgin reissues stored on Google but now it will be a pain in the ass to not only listen to them but to even find them in the app - the app is horrible.

I bought the 2 disc reissue of GHS via Amazon. That comes with a free download. Well, as far as I know it does. The only time that has not happened was with Keith's TALK IS CHEAP reissue. Not sure what happened there, I've never been able to find out.

Date: August 8, 2020 00:45

You only get a free download if it is noted on the page with the item. Those are most if not all the music Amazon itself handles, but if you are ordering from a third party through Amazon, most of the time there is no download available.

In the case of pre-orders, the download may become available at or near the time of actual release, but again if its from a third party, probably not.

I used to really love that feature of Amazon: getting to download and hear your purchase, albeit in mp3 format, right when you order it, making the actual merchandise kind of redundant when it actually arrives. I have several recent purchases still sealed because of this very feature.

Now they want you to download and keep up to date their little music platform spyware malware BS "app", that then wants to make itself king of your domain. At that point I quit using it to download purchases, preferring instead to just wait out the delivery.

jb

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 8, 2020 01:35

Interesting with the Amazon download option.. if it indeed comes with one.
Never messed with Amazon music, but apparently my prime membership includes some kind of free access, but looks like free access is easy to get regardless.

I still have an old Mac w a built in cd/dvd player that I fire up rarely, only to add a cd to my Apple Music library. Most of my new cd's I play one time and then utilize the digital copy. Like to have a physical copy, and a good way to keep it near mint.

I notice no single LP with the 7 " Scarlet option available through Amazon, They do list MP3 as an option for $28.49.. assuming that means a digital download will also come with, but hard to say..

Amazon Options for the Super Deluxe...
Streaming
Unlimited

MP3
$28.49

Audio CD
$149.98

Vinyl
$107.99

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: August 8, 2020 06:04

Anybody think that the 7" will eventually be available as a stand alone? I'm holding out hope because it seems that none of these Stones vinyl exclusives ever sell out.

I was hoping to save a few $$$ on this release since I already have a copy of Brussels (pounced on the $150 Brussels Affair box a few years back....) so I don't need to buy a deluxe GHS set.

I ordered the 2-LP clear vinyl version of GHS before the 7" combo was announced. Not interested in buying another copy of the same main album just to get the 7".

Whaadya think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-08 06:04 by Roscoe.

Date: August 8, 2020 07:13

I think I agree with you Roscoe, the part about not wanting to buy another copy to get the 7". Probably it will see a separate release. Maybe with something on the B side, which still kinda pisses me off that its blank (oh excuse me, etched) on the one currently offered.

jb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2020 12:35

GHS 2020 Digital Download, 37 Tracks (incl. Brussels Affair) - Track #11 will be: "Scarlet (feat. Jimmy Page) - [The War On Drugs Remix]" - [Music.Apple.com] .

Track #12 is still unknown (but could be feat. Jimmy Page too). So unfortunately no Japanese Bonus ....

Date: August 9, 2020 18:20

The War On Drugs Remix??? Seriously?

These people have totally lost the plot. @#$%& your stupid remix with the idiotic title. You lost the war, remember?

jb

Date: August 9, 2020 18:44

jbwelda

These people have totally lost the plot. @#$%& your stupid remix with the idiotic title. You lost the war, remember?

jb

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Date: August 9, 2020 19:26

jbwelda

jb

Really?
Not sure which side of this "war on drugs" you are putting them on,
but by nearly every measure, these cats won. Not every battle, mind you cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2020 19:30

Irix
GHS 2020 Digital Download, 37 Tracks (incl. Brussels Affair) - Track #11 will be: "Scarlet (feat. Jimmy Page) - [The War On Drugs Remix]" - [Music.Apple.com] .

Track #12 is still unknown (but could be feat. Jimmy Page too). So unfortunately no Japanese Bonus ....

Lame.

Date: August 9, 2020 23:51

I am not sure which side of the "war on drugs" they are putting this on, to be honest. It is just, as Hairball puts it, lame. And I haven't even heard it yet.

jb

Date: August 10, 2020 00:25

I thought it was the guy in War On Drugs who remixed it?

Date: August 10, 2020 02:00

jbwelda
I am not sure which side of the "war on drugs" they are putting this on, to be honest. It is just, as Hairball puts it, lame. And I haven't even heard it yet.

jb

"lame" from those who either haven't heard it or know it's origin.
Seems fair winking smiley

I think Dandy's right.. Grammy winning (Best Rock Album) band (that I've never heard of) War On Drugs must have some connection it seems.
Pretty certain it's not a nod to Nixon or Reagan's failed programs. eye rolling smiley

Not like posters try to be negative, So I'm told.
Lame.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home