Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 30, 2020 14:16

If they ever tour again, they should replace IORR with StarFacker

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 30, 2020 14:51

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
micawber
I LUV the truly great rhythm work on Star Star. Keith shines on that.

Taylor plays the rhythm guitar. Keith plays lead.
. But doesn’t Taylor overdub some lead lines toward the end of the song?

I don’t think he overdubs anything, it sounds like he just throws some tasty low register licks in.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 30, 2020 14:52

bitusa2012
All this talk of Star Star....I’ll be right royally pi55ed off if ‘pu55y clean‘ is SABOTAGED the way the last remasters were. At the prices we’ve all paid for the deluxe BOXES, they’d better be clean BOXES, as in, unmuddled like they were in those last sacrilegious remasters.

I didn't pay much for a deluxe box, 19 euros. So I can't go too wrong whatever the case may be.

plexi

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2020 15:04

Father Ted

I don't know what it is but I think they always play better Chuck Berry originals than their own pastishes of those. Especially with "Little Queenie" they just can do no wrong. But they have very rarely played those any longer, not even when Chuck died.

Like listening to BLUE & LONESOME - is it like that that stuff is so strongly build in their DNA that it just comes so naturally out of them. Being inspired but still with a certain humble and respecting attitude.

Surely there has been some cool versions both of "Starbucker" and "Only R&R", especially during classical 1973/75/76/78 tours, but I have always felt that they haven't ever been able to treat those gems right live - or to find a road version working great enough. Especially Jagger has had difficulties to know how to deliver them. For example, I always find his ways of singing/shouting the choruses a bit flat. Those parts that I always have found so capturing in the studio originals (when SCREAMING THE POINT!!). In one thread someone posted a rather recent version of "Star Star" - which wasn't any strong version in any sense of the word - but even there Jagger just couldn't stay in a key during the chorus. Not a big thing, but for some reason that always hurts my ear...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 15:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 15:18

They should try to play IORR in the tempo of the studio version,especially since Jagger is obsessed for 30 years with recreating the studio versions live.They have never played IORR live like the studio version,except on the IORR sailor video, Which I think used the studio song backing track.Maybe it sounds too much like Bang the Gong

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 15:40

Just like to say I enjoyed James Olcott’s article about goats head soup. I’m very much in the camp of finding out about the merits of the album, the arguments and discussion for the album were very well put.i went away and registered to the album... I enjoy 100 years ago, heartbreaker and star star hide your love and silver train as well. Can’t really get Dancing with mr D. Other tracks more than make up for it. I don’t have a copy of Brussels affair ... so I am tempted .. but very expensive for the reissue. I wonder if there is a cost effective way of getting hold of Brussels affair. Anyway, very good article thanks..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2020 15:52

Taylor1
They should try to play IORR in the tempo of the studio version,especially since Jagger is obsessed for 30 years with recreating the studio versions live.They have never played IORR live like the studio version,except on the IORR sailor video, Which I think used the studio song backing track.Maybe it sounds too much like Bang the Gong

The closest version to the original studio one has been the one with Foo Fighters in SNL (2012). But I think that is pretty revealing: Mick seemingly is not comfortable with that low (E) key (for example, even during the first verse starts to sing an octave higher, and does a lot of 'funny' sounding things along the way), and probably not even with the slow tempo. But I think the chorus works there might fine. More power there. Better than with the 'Berry versions' in B with the Stones. To me it sounds like that Mick appreciates more the verses part - suiting better for his voice - and emphasizes it more by the cost of the chorus (in where the backing singers - and the audience! - since 1989 are helping him).

But like pointed out in thread, it is interesting that it is one of (rare) songs that still has a 'road version' different to the originals.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 15:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:15

Taylor1

That was a new recording of IORR used for the video.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:20

GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Album and video versions are completely different songs for me. They've got nothing in Common but the Lyrics. I would love an official release of that Version.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:43

hockenheim95
GasLightStreet
Taylor1

Album and video versions are completely different songs for me. They've got nothing in Common but the Lyrics. I would love an official release of that Version.

There's no documentation of them recording this but they did, most likely, obviously, just prior to the filming, perhaps at the end of the IORR sessions because it is nothing like the album version and the guitars are not... very good.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 3, 2020 00:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-03 14:00 by exilestones.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 3, 2020 02:44

exilestones
Goats Head Soup [SHM-SACD] [Limited Release]

Catalog No. UIGY-9581
JAN/ISBN 4988005857330
Product Type SACD SHM

Super Audio CD (SACD) disc is not compatible with regular CD player or drive. This disc format is compatible only with SACD player.

[Special Priced 100 SHM-SACD Reissues] Uses the 2011 DSD master based on UK original analog tape. Originally released in 1973.
Reissue features the high-fidelity SHM-SACD format (fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on
standard CD players).

In this series, the following albums are from the band: "Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)," "Their Satanic Majesties Request,"
"Beggars Banquet," "Through The Past. Darkly (Big Hits Vol.2),""Let It Bleed," "STICKY FINGERS," "Exile On Main St.," "Goats Head Soup,"
"It's Only Rock 'n Roll," "Black And Blue," "Love You Live," "Some Girls," "Emotional Rescure," "Tattoo You,"
"Still Life (American Concert 1981)," "Undercover," and "Dirty Work."

Please note that this special priced reissue does not feature the cardboard mini LP sleeve previously featured. Instead, it comes housed in a jewel case.
Comes with a description and lyrics.

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]
This is old SHM-SACD release from 2014. It has nothing to do with current reissue.

Date: August 3, 2020 13:16

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2020 13:36

.....save me

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 3, 2020 14:32

....save me

It's so bad that pic wouldn't even make the album cover of Exile on Main Street.

Date: August 3, 2020 19:19

Chris Fountain
....save me

It's so bad that pic wouldn't even make the album cover of Exile on Main Street.

Too funny!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 4, 2020 10:28

Doxa
But they have very rarely played those any longer, not even when Chuck died.

- Doxa

Chuck's dead??????????????? Who's going to be their musical director?????? Oh....wrong Chuck.... ;-)

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2020 11:48

Now come Chris .... you know we all have bad hair days .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 5, 2020 14:59

Doxa
Father Ted

I don't know what it is but I think they always play better Chuck Berry originals than their own pastishes of those. Especially with "Little Queenie" they just can do no wrong. But they have very rarely played those any longer, not even when Chuck died.

Like listening to BLUE & LONESOME - is it like that that stuff is so strongly build in their DNA that it just comes so naturally out of them. Being inspired but still with a certain humble and respecting attitude.

Surely there has been some cool versions both of "Starbucker" and "Only R&R", especially during classical 1973/75/76/78 tours, but I have always felt that they haven't ever been able to treat those gems right live - or to find a road version working great enough. Especially Jagger has had difficulties to know how to deliver them. For example, I always find his ways of singing/shouting the choruses a bit flat. Those parts that I always have found so capturing in the studio originals (when SCREAMING THE POINT!!). In one thread someone posted a rather recent version of "Star Star" - which wasn't any strong version in any sense of the word - but even there Jagger just couldn't stay in a key during the chorus. Not a big thing, but for some reason that always hurts my ear...grinning smiley

- Doxa

The live IORR has always been a horrid pseudo-Berry number and a reinstated Starbucker would probably end up the same, but I'm tired of hearing IORR. It's a shame that the road version of IORR never even tried to replicate the studio intro. Maybe you're right and they should just ditch both of them and try Bye Bye Johnny instead.

Date: August 5, 2020 15:15

TravelinMan
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
micawber

I don’t think he overdubs anything, it sounds like he just throws some tasty low register licks in.

Where in the song is that? I can't remember any lead lines from Taylor at all.

Date: August 5, 2020 15:17

Father Ted
Doxa
Father Ted

- Doxa

The live IORR has always been a horrid pseudo-Berry number and a reinstated Starbucker would probably end up the same, but I'm tired of hearing IORR. It's a shame that the road version of IORR never even tried to replicate the studio intro. Maybe you're right and they should just ditch both of them and try Bye Bye Johnny instead.

It didn't really sound like a Berry-number in 1975/76, though.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 5, 2020 17:31

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
micawber

In the outro. I'm probably thinking of the live version, actually. I don't think I've listed to the studio version in a while.

censored "STAR STAR" on new GHS release?
Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: August 5, 2020 17:07

Not sure this has been discussed in this forum already...

There was a Stones release of STAR STAR some years ago in which the part "keep your pussy clean" was overdubbed in such a way that the words could hardly be heard.

Can we expect the same mutilation in the new GHS release?

What's the general opinion on such alterations of past Stones songs?

Some of the lyrics in UNDER MY THUMB were also changed during the No-Filter tour, I wonder what/who led to that regrettable decision.

Bending to political correctness somehow contradicts the freedom the Stones always stood for.

Re: censored "STAR STAR" on new GHS release?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:01

Ahh, political correctness, how much do we love thee? Wouldn't want the folks out there in the Twitterverse going "Tsk! Tsk!" would we?" I am very aware of the iniquities that exist in the world, but changing art, music or whatever to accommodate some kind of movement is wrong to me. Better to use the art, the music, the book, as an educational tool in terms of how life and thoughts about various things can change. Now, I'm thinking, "I'm going a bit off base regarding this topic and some won't like what I said" but this is precisely what I'm saying. If one has created a piece of work that others may find controversial, discuss it and use that piece of work to enlighten your views whether you're the creator of it or the questioner.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 5, 2020 18:10

TIRED

Some of the lyrics in UNDER MY THUMB were also changed during the No-Filter tour,

So...there actually was a Filter on that tour??

Were there more changes than what they already did in '81? That year the "girl who had me down" became a "woman."

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 5, 2020 19:19

I remember when being "politically correct" was actually a compliment and something to strive for. That before the terminally politically incorrect seemed to have hijacked the term for their own uses and turned it into a slur.

Just because its a conspiracy, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
jb

Date: August 5, 2020 20:24

TIRED
Not sure this has been discussed in this forum already...

There was a Stones release of STAR STAR some years ago in which the part "keep your pussy clean" was overdubbed in such a way that the words could hardly be heard.

Can we expect the same mutilation in the new GHS release?

What's the general opinion on such alterations of past Stones songs?

Some of the lyrics in UNDER MY THUMB were also changed during the No-Filter tour, I wonder what/who led to that regrettable decision.

Bending to political correctness somehow contradicts the freedom the Stones always stood for.

I love the overdubbed Star Star. The overdubbing sounds really cool.

I grew-up with that version.

Date: August 5, 2020 20:36

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
micawber

In the outro. I'm probably thinking of the live version, actually. I don't think I've listed to the studio version in a while.

I'm with you on the live version smiling smiley

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 5, 2020 23:59

Does anyone know the dimensions of the deluxe box set? 10"x10"?, 12"x12"?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 6, 2020 00:45

thkbeercan

Does anyone know the dimensions of the deluxe box set?

3CD+BR: 12.2"x13"x1.73" - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] ,

4LP: 13"x13"x1.3" - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home