Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 29, 2020 01:40

I dont even remember Can You Hear the Music (which probably means back in the day that song didnt make it onto the reel to reel tape I listened to more than the LP) but contrary to the sentiments so far, I thought Hide Your Love was one of the better tracks on the set, precisely because it was simple, great blues piano and Mick sounded in good form. Nice guitar parts too. Serious music well done.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2020 04:06

I love Can You Hear The Music and Hide Your Love, and would never think of replacing either.
If forced to replace one though, I'd have to pick Star Star and insert Save Me aka Criss Cross in it's place.
That said, I enjoy all of the the live versions of Star Star...far more than the studio version.

Posted by: westonkeef ()
Date: July 29, 2020 04:46

"Hide Your Love" is a great example of Mick Taylor elevating a track with his fluid phrasing and musianship.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2020 05:09

Hairball
I love Can You Hear The Music and Hide Your Love, and would never think of replacing either.
If forced to replace one though, I'd have to pick Star Star and insert Save Me aka Criss Cross in it's place.
That said, I enjoy all of the the live versions of Star Star...far more than the studio version.
Funny, I like Star Star live but I actually think there's something specifically amazing and lightning in a bottle about the studio version.

Date: July 29, 2020 05:21

There's nothing really special or "lightning in a bottle" about it imo as its basically a Chuck Berry tune with some sleazy Jagger lyrics.

Date: July 29, 2020 05:27

Hairball
There's nothing really special or "lightning in a bottle" about it imo as its basically a Chuck Berry tune with some sleazy Jagger lyrics.

Absolutely. There's just an energy about it that, I'd maybe argue, they never really captured again in the studio. There's a rollickingness that they never got back to because things were just too polished afterwards for the most part. I also think its an immature song and they ride such a fine line that they actually sell it and its not embarrassing. It could so easily be seen as aging stars (of course, they were only like 33 at the time, but 10 years into their career) still trying to be edgy but I thought they sold it in a way that it seemed genuine, and was so quintessential Stones. Honestly, I think of that and Crazy Mama usually in the same light. There's a couple simple songs that only they can really pull off and I think they do it great. But I've always really felt the energy of the studio version of Star Star. Its always been a highlight of the album for me for that reason. Ends it on a really strong note of "they're still the Stones."

Date: July 29, 2020 05:44

Never really put that much thought in to it to be honest as it was always my least favorite on GHS. Crazy Mama from Black and Blue on the other hand is great and have always loved everything about it.
I'd say there's at least several tunes on Some Girls that have about a thousand times more energy and unpolished "rollickingness" than the mediocre Star Star though - Whip, Lies, Respectable for example...
Emotional Rescue album has a few them as well - Summer Romance, Where the Boys Go, She's So Cold. Just my opinion, and it's all subjective, and I didn't intend to put that much thought in to it really, but there it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 05:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:24

RollingFreak
Hairball

Absolutely. There's just an energy about it that, I'd maybe argue, they never really captured again in the studio. There's a rollickingness that they never got back to because things were just too polished afterwards for the most part. I also think its an immature song and they ride such a fine line that they actually sell it and its not embarrassing. It could so easily be seen as aging stars (of course, they were only like 33 at the time, but 10 years into their career) still trying to be edgy but I thought they sold it in a way that it seemed genuine, and was so quintessential Stones. Honestly, I think of that and Crazy Mama usually in the same light. There's a couple simple songs that only they can really pull off and I think they do it great. But I've always really felt the energy of the studio version of Star Star. Its always been a highlight of the album for me for that reason. Ends it on a really strong note of "they're still the Stones."

IMO a perfect description of Star Star. The way it builds, the way it rolls to a rousing finale is pure genius and rarely, if ever, captured again. Ever noticed that the bass does not set in before the second verse? These little tricks are so incredibly effective. And, yes, a perfect album closer not least because it came as a surprize considering the mood of the rest of the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 09:25 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2020 09:35

Only The Stones could pull off StarFooooker ....
Just imagine Dylan tryin to do it ....

Ya tricks with fruit ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2020 10:17

OR even funnier imagine Springsteen
tryin ta do Star Foooooker .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 29, 2020 11:47

Rockman
Only The Stones could pull off StarFooooker ....
Just imagine Dylan tryin to do it ....

Ya tricks with fruit ....

Haha... one of those times 'oh yes, Bobby surely can write it - and we can't "Desolotion Row" - but want to hear him singing that...'grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 29, 2020 14:09

Remember the Super Deluxe CD Box deal of €19 on Amazon NL?
Price is now €104,30
[www.amazon.nl]

Date: July 29, 2020 15:48

Hairball
Never really put that much thought in to it to be honest as it was always my least favorite on GHS. Crazy Mama from Black and Blue on the other hand is great and have always loved everything about it.
I'd say there's at least several tunes on Some Girls that have about a thousand times more energy and unpolished "rollickingness" than the mediocre Star Star though - Whip, Lies, Respectable for example...
Emotional Rescue album has a few them as well - Summer Romance, Where the Boys Go, She's So Cold. Just my opinion, and it's all subjective, and I didn't intend to put that much thought in to it really, but there it is.

Yeah, I'd definitely take another listen to it. The songs on Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sound like paint by numbers rock songs. They work, but its a totally different energy. At no point do I ever think they're gonna go off the rails. Whip, Respectable, they are so completely in time and consistent the whole song. Great tracks, but entirely different feel. Same with the Emotional Rescue songs, but I just think those songs suck lol. There's only one song I really like on the whole of Emotional Rescue and its Down In The Hole.

Re: Blood transfusion on Criss Cross
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 29, 2020 17:09

Taylor1
LeonidP
Erik_Snow
I'll take Can You Hear The Music over just about all other GHS songs and outtakes, and especially Save Me, thank you

Agree, Can You Hear The Music is a great tune. However, I think I like Silver Train more.

As for the outtakes, I wouldn't want any of the original tracks replaced from back then, they are perfect now as just outtakes/add-ons.
. I wish they had put an instrumental version of Can You Hear the Music on the deluxe album.The album song sounds like it was cut down from a longer version.Also find Jagger marred the song at the end with his over singing and moaning

marred? Actually Mick's singing is ... to me anyway ... brilliant at the end of Can You Hear The Music!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:19

All this talk of Star Star....I’ll be right royally pi55ed off if ‘pu55y clean‘ is SABOTAGED the way the last remasters were. At the prices we’ve all paid for the deluxe BOXES, they’d better be clean BOXES, as in, unmuddled like they were in those last sacrilegious remasters.

Rod

Date: July 29, 2020 19:14

RollingFreak
Hairball

Yeah, I'd definitely take another listen to it. The songs on Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sound like paint by numbers rock songs. They work, but its a totally different energy. At no point do I ever think they're gonna go off the rails. Whip, Respectable, they are so completely in time and consistent the whole song. Great tracks, but entirely different feel. Same with the Emotional Rescue songs, but I just think those songs suck lol. There's only one song I really like on the whole of Emotional Rescue and its Down In The Hole.

You say I should definitely take another listen to Star Star? As if a million+ times since 1973 isn't enough to already know what I think of it?
Lol...yeah ok...maybe one or two more listens will change my mind this late in the game....

As for Star Star vs. Some Girls/ER tunes, I'd say the opposite is true - Star Star is the plodding paint by numbers Chuck Berry style tune, while the tunes off of Some Girls, and to a lesser extent the tunes from ER (those aren't my favorites either), are way more erratic, unpolished, out of control, off the rail, punk-influenced disasters about to happen. Could be the addition of Ronnie, or Mick's new punkish attitude, or for whatever reason - they sound young and fresh vs. the regurgitation of Star Star. You said it yourself - Star Star "could so easily be seen as aging stars..still trying to be edgy", and while you thought it was genuine, it seemed they were treading old tired ground and slapping on some sleazy lyrics to make it edgy. Definitely the weak link on GHS imo, and would have preferred Save Me aka Criss Cross in it's place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 19:16 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2020 19:20

Lol I've literally done nothing to be confrontational here so I shall end the conversation. I was only trying to be amenable. Obviously thats not possible in literally capacity. The snarkiness in the first paragraph is uncalled for and pointed and just not worth it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-29 19:22 by RollingFreak.

Date: July 29, 2020 19:23

Lol...I should have added a smiley face as I was in no way trying to be snarky or confrontational...sorry you took it that way.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 29, 2020 19:53

@#$%& is a great song about groupies, which sort of set the whole theme of Some Girls. Regardless of their age when they wrote it, it’s a kick ass song that touched on subject matter they hadn’t covered yet.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 29, 2020 20:38

Posted by: westonkeef ()
Date: July 29, 2020 04:46

"Hide Your Love" is a great example of Mick Taylor elevating a track with his fluid phrasing and musianship.

I always thought it was a throwback to MT's John Mayall days when he learned the art of playing back the recall and reponse to the vocal and piano.

Same thing with short and curlies on IORR

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 29, 2020 21:00

It’s nostalgia plain and simple. I was 11 when GHS came out. It was the first studio album I had of theirs. The videos being shown on Don Kirschners rock concert. I remember my brother saying “ it’s probably the last album because they’re old”. Been a stones junkie ever since.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2020 22:00

The beauty of Star Star is how it has a dumpy beginning that sounds like it's not capable of getting going... and then it does. And the sleazyness of it is great - they were getting to that point of finding some new ways to piss people off.

So what if it's Chuck Berry by numbers - aside from covering him, the only other song that they've ever done that I can think of in a true Chuck Berry vibe is the live version of IORR.

She Was Hot throws a nod to Chuck but it's far from Johnny B Goode etc.

Dump Angie for Criss Cross and add Through The Lonely Nights somewhere it's an even better album.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 29, 2020 22:07

GasLightStreet
they were getting to that point of finding some new ways to piss people off.

grinning smiley thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 30, 2020 07:33

Star Star / Starf*cker is indeed a great one! Kick ass riff, clever lyrics about a taboo subject matter for that time period.

Not just Steve McQueen, I just love so many of the lines here!

"Legs wrapped around me tight"
"gonna make you scream all night"

"can of tasty foam"
"Lead guitars and movie stars"
"tongue beneath your hood"

"heard about you Polaroids"

"you're gonna get John Wayne before he dies"

Such a classic!!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 10:21

Familiar yet subversive, profane and funny, Starskunker crashes GHS like an unwanted drunken guest. It’s brilliant self-parody…not a high degree of difficulty involved perhaps but a flawlessly executed cawk rock ditty, criminally underappreciated, but ultimately it skunks up the entire album. Or rather it simply doesn’t belong. It’s a shame they couldn’t have released it as just a single.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 30, 2020 11:40

I LUV the truly great rhythm work on Star Star. Keith shines on that.

Date: July 30, 2020 12:43

micawber

Taylor plays the rhythm guitar. Keith plays lead.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 30, 2020 13:16

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 13:16

DandelionPowderman
micawber

Taylor plays the rhythm guitar. Keith plays lead.
. But doesn’t Taylor overdub some lead lines toward the end of the song?

Date: July 30, 2020 14:10

OpenG

I always thought it was a throwback to MT's John Mayall days when he learned the art of playing back the recall and reponse to the vocal and piano.

Same thing with short and curlies on IORR

The beautiful "Noodling" throughout short and curlies is played by Keith. Took me years to discover it was not Taylor.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home