Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 27, 2020 03:44

never mind, I finally realized what was being demonstrated. Duh.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-27 07:32 by jbwelda.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2020 03:47

LOL either I never knew or I forgot but I guess I didn't realize they played Star Star on the 1981 tour! The first Boulder show, then San Diego and both Los Angeles shows, Seattle, both San Francisco shows and Orlando.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 27, 2020 04:04

GasLightStreet
LOL either I never knew or I forgot but I guess I didn't realize they played Star Star on the 1981 tour! The first Boulder show, then San Diego and both Los Angeles shows, Seattle, both San Francisco shows and Orlando.

Right.
In L.A. he changed the line to, "giving head to Jack Nicholson" since Steve McQueen had just died the previous year.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 27, 2020 06:40

Sorry, GasLightStreet, I meant the Universal remaster. That's the one with the horribly mangled overdub.

T@3

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 27, 2020 07:26

GasLightStreet

This was second night Seattle.. sings "get back to Seattle" second time through the verse.
Was there for both ... fantastic shows! Love back to back shows.. setlists generally always get better for night two cool smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 27, 2020 08:52

GasLightStreet
LOL you obviously don't know otherwise!

My English sometimes fail me, what I meant is that she's slightly crouching for an innocent pee, nothing wrong in that

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2020 09:07

She's cute and full of life ....
Let the girl run free ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 27, 2020 09:14

I Wish They Put The Videos Of Cris Cross directors cut,And Scarlet On Goats Head Release.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 27, 2020 10:03

GasLightStreet

...a fine guitar inro.. not too usual.!!

Blood transfusion on Criss Cross
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 28, 2020 12:36

It came to my mind lately that the reason they left this great track off Gouts Head Soup, might be te sentence:
“I think I need a bloodtransfusion”
I can think that Keith might be a bit fed up with this word Blood transfusion by that time.

Re: Blood transfusion on Criss Cross
Date: July 28, 2020 12:39

Think of this song on that album and some other outtakes, and like Tops and Wating On My/A Friend and they left off the to me not like able songs HYL and CYHTM? What a killer album this would be!!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileythumbs up

Date: July 28, 2020 12:44

I'll take Can You Hear The Music over just about all other GHS songs and outtakes, and especially Save Me, thank you

Date: July 28, 2020 12:53

Well that’s alright! Everyone may have their own taste and opinion smiling smiley
I respect yours, not everyone has the same taste luckily! Some like the mother, others like the daughter. Some like both!!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 15:07 by Christiaan.

Date: July 28, 2020 12:57

But Erik_Snow what do you think of my thinking that that sentence might be the reason to left off Criss Cross?

Date: July 28, 2020 13:08

Sorry you'll have to ask somebody else, I'm thinking about something completely different at the moment.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 28, 2020 13:26

Remember reading in one of the threads that Criss Cross might have been left out because it's somewhat similar to Silver Train? This is just off the top of my head - too lazy to search winking smiley

Date: July 28, 2020 14:07

Topi I read that too somewhere. To lazy too to look for it....

Date: July 28, 2020 14:16

In any case, I don't believe that piece of lyrics had anything to do with the song being excluded from the final album. Especially considering the whole thing about the "blood change" was a joke by Keith himself that turned into this little myth.

It could even be Keith's own lyrics for all we know.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 14:44 by Topi.

Date: July 28, 2020 15:04

Okay Topi !! Thanks

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 28, 2020 16:04

Hopefully the instrumentals(Heartbreaker, Mr. D.) will be extended and decidedly different, something really cool...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2020 17:11

Christiaan
It came to my mind lately that the reason they left this great track off Gouts Head Soup, might be te sentence:
“I think I need a bloodtransfusion”
I can think that Keith might be a bit fed up with this word Blood transfusion by that time.

Well, I could easily imagine that it is Keith who came up with that expression at the time. He had just made headlines with it - and it is one of those evergreen myths surrounding him still - and he just wanted to have fun with it while it was still fresh... My interpretation assumes that the song derives from the late 1974 sessions (and had nothing to do with GOATS HEAD SOUP).

But I don't think that's the reason for dropping the song from (upcoming) Stones releases. Probably they just forgot about it (Keith's condition in 1974...), or didn't like it enough, or discovered that it wasn't something to fit for BLACK AND BLUE (which was a kind of new fresh start for the band, after having lost Taylor). Or later for TATTOO YOU, for example.

EDIT: Censored for having confused it with "Scarlet"...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 17:53 by Doxa.

Date: July 28, 2020 17:31

Doxa, Criss Cross actually stems from the late 1972 GHS sessions in Jamaica, but Keith was treated in Switzerland earlier that year. (Before the US tour) He apparently cracked the "blood change joke" at Heathrow Airport.

And Criss Cross was indeed considered for GHS, even so much so that it appeared on a tracklisting published by Rolling Stone magazine before the album's release.

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

(Also see pages 16 and 20 of this thread)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-28 17:49 by Topi.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 28, 2020 17:50

True, Topi! I somehow confused "Criss Cross" with "Scarlet" haha! I have listened both probably too much lately so I cannot distinguish them any longer....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 28, 2020 18:26

Erik_Snow
I'll take Can You Hear The Music over just about all other GHS songs and outtakes, and especially Save Me, thank you

Agree, Can You Hear The Music is a great tune. However, I think I like Silver Train more.

As for the outtakes, I wouldn't want any of the original tracks replaced from back then, they are perfect now as just outtakes/add-ons.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 19:47

I had purchased the 2LP version from udiscoverMusic but really want the version with the 7" 'Scarlet' single. So I sent an email requesting a refund and they got back to me about 5 days later saying I'll be refunded in 7-10 business days. So for anyone wanting to switch their purchase, shoot them an email and I'm sure they'll refund you!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 20:39

LeonidP
Erik_Snow

Agree, Can You Hear The Music is a great tune. However, I think I like Silver Train more.

As for the outtakes, I wouldn't want any of the original tracks replaced from back then, they are perfect now as just outtakes/add-ons.
. I wish they had put an instrumental version of Can You Hear the Music on the deluxe album.The album song sounds like it was cut down from a longer version.Also find Jagger marred the song at the end with his over singing and moaning

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 28, 2020 21:39

I really enjoy the idea of adding bonus CDs to reissues of those old great albums of the 70s and (maybe) 80s, but in all honesty (I know a lot of those "newly" selected bonus tracks for a long, long time) to me those tracks will always be second choice. Somehow the band didn't think they were worth more attention at the time.
But having said that to me some of those "second choice" songs well deserved to be on the album(s) at that time. Among them are f.i. "Cops and Robbers" and "Drift Away". They were perfectly well finished songs and fully deserved the label "Rolling Stones songs". I from time to time listen to those many never released songs and enjoy them, but .... ever so often I say to myself " yeah, I understand why they didn't make it on an album in those days and sorry guys, Criss Cross Man is one of them.
Still, as an old, bold, grey haired fan, today I enjoy listening to those polished, soon to be released, bonus tracks, as I do to those EOMS and SG bonus tracks. We're so blessed!
smileys with beer

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 28, 2020 21:43

I love Goats Head Soup But never cared for Can You Hear the Music. I’m thinking that Can You Hear the Music will sound cool in 5.1.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2020 00:55

Can You Hear The Music and Hide Your Love are the two songs on the album I wish were replaced.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 29, 2020 01:30

RollingFreak
Can You Hear The Music and Hide Your Love are the two songs on the album I wish were replaced.

I love GHS, but I agree. CYHTH is the sort of song that has promise but never goes anywhere. HYL, apart from Mick T's playing is just a bog standard tune.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home