Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2020 22:03

Hairball
Stoneage
Hairball
Like most Stones videos, this will be forgotten when all is said and done with just the song itself being the only thing that really matters.

I don't think all RS videos will be forgotten though. I kind of liked the TY videos. However unpretentious they were. But of course, the big rock/pop video era is gone. The MTV years.
And the Stones haven't been that active in making videos since the 90's. They seem to leave it to third party agencies to make videos since then.

Well I did say "most Stones videos" and not all of them, but really...aside from diehard Stones fans, in the big picture none of their videos will matter to anyone when all is said and done.

Nothing will matter when all is said and done. In the long run we're all dead, as Lord Keynes said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 22:41 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2020 22:06

Stoneage
Hairball
Stoneage
Hairball
Like most Stones videos, this will be forgotten when all is said and done with just the song itself being the only thing that really matters.

I don't think all RS videos will be forgotten though. I kind of liked the TY videos. However unpretentious they were. But of course, the big rock/pop video era is gone. The MTV years.
And the Stones haven't been that active in making videos since the 90's. They seem to leave it to third party agencies to make videos since then.

Well I did say "most Stones videos" and not all of them, but really...aside from diehard Stones fans, in the big picture none of their videos will matter to anyone when all is said and done.

Nothing will matter when all is said and done. In the long end we're all dead, as Lord Keynes said.

Yes this is true, but in reference to the world of the Rolling Stones and their historical legacy - videos will not be part of any discussion.

Date: July 11, 2020 22:14

Agree, Hairball. But it matters to us Stones fans. Here and now. Why would we otherwise be on this fan board?

Date: July 11, 2020 22:28

Yeah Stoneage, but I guess it matters more to some fans than it does to others which brings me back to my initial point which was who gives a crap.
I sure don't as it's basically a commercial that will have no relevance in the big picture, but evidently others care so much they will defend to the end.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 11, 2020 22:47

If the Rolling Stones commissioned it, put their name on it, and put it out, it is a release just like any other release, album, single, video, digital download. Therefore it is a legitimate piece of the Stones legacy, whether someone likes it or not, or attempts to ignore it or not. Videos will not be forgotten anymore than the songs will get forgotten. They may even persist longer. And if it is released under the Rolling Stones' name, they own it, and it owns them, as far as a legacy goes.

I am with GLS and others: does nothing for me aside from being something to look at that evidently our band wants us to see. It doesn't explain or even really reference the song, its basically a bunch of tits and ass, which is pretty much exactly what I have come to expect from the Rolling Stones. But it is evidently what "they" (not sure who exactly that might be) want us to see and I guess it does what they want it to do if we are discussing it.

Like with Ronnie's art, taking one persons support of the concept as being some slavish, slobbering fan boy BS is missing the point by a mile. But it is what I am coming to expect as well. Taste is not just a matter of what is good to the tongue.

jb

Date: July 11, 2020 23:02

The days of MTV are long gone when videos had some relevance and a place in the world.
Not sure what outlet plays videos or where you can even see them these days - they're pretty much useless and obsolete as far as I can tell.
Might be nice for some of the fans to look at and appreciate (or not), but other than that why bother? They usually detract from the song itself which is evident in this thread.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 11, 2020 23:08

There is this little thing called YouTube. Not to mention all the social media jungle.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2020 23:25

Hairball
Yeah Stoneage, but I guess it matters more to some fans than it does to others which brings me back to my initial point which was who gives a crap.
I sure don't as it's basically a commercial that will have no relevance in the big picture, but evidently others care so much they will defend to the end.

YouTube took away the cultural aspects of what music videos used to be, a cultural event, to various degrees: now it's all private.

So, yes, the videos don't matter. They don't! They could do a video of snakes having sex, or anything having sex, like 2 big breasted red headed whatevers, and who's going to ban it? NO ONE.

So what if Stoneage watched it and it's bothersome - it doesn't matter like it did in 1984.

Date: July 11, 2020 23:31

Maybe if they do a BLACK AND BLUE deluxe with extra tracks they'll include some UNDERCOVER leftovers.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2020 00:17

A nice surprise the release of "Criss Cross"! We knew that the GHS Reissue will be released in autumn (didn't we?), but this one came out of blue. Another effect of corona? Anyway, I like their recent habit of doing things without a bigger hype before.

To me they have done a fine job with "Criss Cross". There is certain charm in the rough bootleg versions, but, however, this polished version serves my ears better in the long run. More dynamics. The song itself sounds a bit light-weight, but c'mon: the early 70's Stones couldn't do much wrong. Great elements there, and it exactly sound like the Stones used to sound like back then. The distinctive (and nowadays called classical) Stones sound meeting funk. The guitar riff surely isn't Keith's finest hour and doesn't ask too much creative imagination, but it serves the funky simplicity the song is based on rather well. I guess the tune sounds a bit 'underdeveloped' but I don't think they thought so but saw it as a finished business; it is what it is, relies on its funky character, not much offering musical structure in terms of more chords or melody - even though probably doesn't quite meeting its aim. They tried something similar with "Dancing With Mr. D" - to make a hot dance number from very simple musical elemests - to make your ass move on (however, it works best on the jam part of "100 Years Ago", and later, in "Hot Stuff"). Funk is a rigour form of music: the distinction between exciting and repitive/tiresome is a slight one. To think the cut in its own context: this dance funk is one of the new experimental directions in trying to develop further their wholly matured signature style and sound they had excelled by the time of EXILE. Now it probably doesn't sound as experimental for them as it did back then. Or probably it already did (since not releasing it then): things like, say, "Brown Sugar" shining a bit too obviously through; they were still too captured by their own sound (which now is great news though haha). The whole GOATS HEAD SOUP album has the feel of 'look, now we try to do something different', but they didn't quite managed to do it - be it good or bad.

My ears tell me that Jagger did some over-dubs to the latter part of the song, but it works nicely and sounds coherent in the context. I am not ready to go that far to figure that thing out yet - at the moment I am just enjoying the result.

But jeez, musically the Stones were pure sex, sex, sex back then! Nobody sounds like them. I absolutely love that sound and, of course, this release!

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 00:37 by Doxa.

Date: July 12, 2020 00:39

Doxa
A nice surprise the release of "Criss Cross"! We knew that the GHS Reissue will be released in autumn (didn't we?), but this one came out of blue. Another effect of corona?

No, just UMe telling Mick, you have to do something if you're not going to release a new album.

Remember what Mick said about BLUE AND LONESOME?

Probably the record company said, Well, the other (album)'s never gonna come - we might as well put this one out. I don't blame 'em. I probably would have done the same thing. 'Cause: Now I got something, might as well put it out.

The "Now I got something" is these old tracks that you need to finish... so yeah, get off yer can't be bothered arse and DO SOMETHING, because "the other album's never gonna come" out.

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: July 12, 2020 01:21

Jagger: "Probably the record company said, Well, the other (album)'s never gonna come - we might as well put this one out. I don't blame 'em. I probably would have done the same thing.
'Cause: Now I got something, might as well put it out."

Interesting. So the record company had already in 2016 given up hope about a new album? Instead they released a collection of blues covers since that was the only hope of releasing anything at all.
And here we are in 2020, still hoping for a new album..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 01:36 by Stoneage.

Date: July 12, 2020 01:29

About videos: Of course they are not as important as they were in 1984, or even 1994. That doesn't mean they are of no importance at all. Why would they else pay this ad agency
a couple of hundred thousand dollars (or whatever the cost is...) to put out this video? The video is still used as a marketing tool.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 12, 2020 01:46

GasLightStreet
Doxa
A nice surprise the release of "Criss Cross"! We knew that the GHS Reissue will be released in autumn (didn't we?), but this one came out of blue. Another effect of corona?

No, just UMe telling Mick, you have to do something if you're not going to release a new album.

Probably the record company said, Well, the other (album)'s never gonna come - we might as well put this one out. I don't blame 'em. I probably would have done the same thing. 'Cause: Now I got something, might as well put it out.

The "Now I got something" is these old tracks that you need to finish... so yeah, get off yer can't be bothered arse and DO SOMETHING, because "the other album's never gonna come" out.

[timeisonourside.com]

Well, could be (that they release whatever or anything to make their record company happy because they owe them - and us - a new album of originals)), but I was referring to the actual timing of these new releases (no matter who calls the shots). Without corona we wouldn't probably seen the release of "Living In A Ghost Town" by now (ever?). They now released "Criss Cross" two months before the album. Sounds a quite long gap for promoting an album. I don't know, maybe they follow the example of Bob Dylan here, and start giving us singular songs off the album long prior its release. Is that a new marketing strategy (a 'new normal') or a procedure people quickly created due to extraordinary times? That now - when people can't go to concerts, etc. - is a good time to release whatever stuff you have in the can. People's ears are more open than usual.

As far as I have understood the release of GHS in fall was decided prior corona crisis. But had we lived in normal times, and the Stones touring US now, would we have seen such an early release of "Criss Cross"?

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 01:50 by Doxa.

Date: July 12, 2020 02:10

Stoneage
About videos: Of course they are not as important as they were in 1984, or even 1994. That doesn't mean they are of no importance at all. Why would they else pay this ad agency
a couple of hundred thousand dollars (or whatever the cost is...) to put out this video? The video is still used as a marketing tool.

Not sure why they would pay and ad agency so much money to make a video either - especially when this generic/standard version also released by the Stones seems to do the same job.
Classic tongue, title of tune, and ROLLING STONES in bold, and no distractions...I'd argue this version does the job even better and lets the listener use their imagination vs. being spoonfed imagery.

Though to be sure, I'm not censoring or criticizing the tits and ass version - as I said before it's nice, just sort of an unnecessary distraction to the tune itself imo.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2020 02:39

Sorry if I missed this but has there been any official confirmation that Page is featured on 'Scarlet' or has it just been a case of people assuming it because 1) he and Keith worked on a song of that title at one time and 2) some chancer on youtube uploaded a video claiming to be this track and scores of fans of both bands fell for it

I see even supposedly reputable music pages running stories about this collaboration coming out but I dont recall seeing anything from the Stones.

Date: July 12, 2020 02:52

Rolling Stone cites a press release which I assume is from the Stones and/or Universal...

“The layered guitar textures of ‘Scarlet’ make for a track that’s as infectious and raunchy as anything the band cut in this hallowed era,” reads a press release.
“As well as Jimmy Page guesting alongside Mick and Keith on the track it also features on bass Rick Grech of Blind Faith fame…"

GHS - Scarlet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 02:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 12, 2020 02:57

to say that video is not relevant now because mtv days are long gone means not being in touch with reality. the reality of youtube being a main vector of music i mean.that does not mean a stones video is relevant today. but if visualization is all that matters, i do think with criss cross video they hit the mark. up to date without being stereotypical. last time it happened maybe was gondry on like a rolling stone or mick's video for lets work. but those were the eighties indeed.

if only an ounce of the boldness of the video could make in the new music we could expect something really grooving

if not, i am really happy with criss cross
smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 03:06 by maumau.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 12, 2020 04:18

schillid

thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 12, 2020 05:19

Hairball
Rolling Stone cites a press release which I assume is from the Stones and/or Universal...

“The layered guitar textures of ‘Scarlet’ make for a track that’s as infectious and raunchy as anything the band cut in this hallowed era,” reads a press release.
“As well as Jimmy Page guesting alongside Mick and Keith on the track it also features on bass Rick Grech of Blind Faith fame…"

GHS - Scarlet

That sounds pretty official then. Thanks. I guess its that post-IORR session then with a few modern overdubs by Mick.

Posted by: NastyHabits ()
Date: July 12, 2020 07:09

Good song. Maybe it would be a better closing rocker in GHS than "Star Star", which I've always found a bit plastic and forced.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 12, 2020 07:11

Hairball
Not sure what all the commotion is about over a video - really...who gives a crap.

Whether it's great or not (I think it's nice), never paid too much attention to videos by any band as I prefer to let the music do the talking.
Sure sometimes they might add something, while other times they can be a distraction, but I would never think they actually make or break a song.
Seems a waste of time to either criticize and bash or defend and over-praise like a cheerleader when the only thing that should matter is the song itself.

Indeed. Agreed.

plexi

Date: July 12, 2020 07:18

The video is okay I guess. Reminded me of a couple of girls I met when I was young. They're usually in their third abortion by age 20.

Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 12, 2020 07:26

MisterDDDD
Sounds Great!
Smokin' hot video as well spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Charismatic girl, though I'd have chosen one slightly more gracile.

A fan on this board a couple years ago started a thread asking: "What's the best unreleased Stones song?" I answered with two: Criss Cross and Still a Fool. Glad to see Criss Cross is now "official."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 10:22 by Title5Take1.

Date: July 12, 2020 08:56

Doxa
GasLightStreet
Doxa

[timeisonourside.com]

Well, could be (that they release whatever or anything to make their record company happy because they owe them - and us - a new album of originals)), but I was referring to the actual timing of these new releases (no matter who calls the shots). Without corona we wouldn't probably seen the release of "Living In A Ghost Town" by now (ever?). They now released "Criss Cross" two months before the album. Sounds a quite long gap for promoting an album. I don't know, maybe they follow the example of Bob Dylan here, and start giving us singular songs off the album long prior its release. Is that a new marketing strategy (a 'new normal') or a procedure people quickly created due to extraordinary times? That now - when people can't go to concerts, etc. - is a good time to release whatever stuff you have in the can. People's ears are more open than usual.

As far as I have understood the release of GHS in fall was decided prior corona crisis. But had we lived in normal times, and the Stones touring US now, would we have seen such an early release of "Criss Cross"?

- Doxa

It wouldn't surprise me if they would've released Criss Cross a month after the tour had it happened. GHS deluxe was gonna come out, right, so if COVID hadn't've done what it's done, no LIAGT, it would've just been a summer without anything except the tour (nothing about the powder on the finger HONK because... no one remembers it anyway) and the supposed upcoming ATLANTIC CITY ie FTV release(s).

The Stones - more likely UMe - probably make these decisions then take 6-9 months to get it together ("bother" Mick). Maybe longer. At this point both make sense, of course, regarding any kind of reissue material, which is something UMe can count on versus, oh, I dunno...

I started thinking about how many blues the Stones have recorded during their sessions - they've probably got enough material for 10 albums. Undoubtedly the band, er, Mick and Keith, don't or can't remember any of it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 12, 2020 09:57

NastyHabits
Good song. Maybe it would be a better closing rocker in GHS than "Star Star", which I've always found a bit plastic and forced.

Really I always thought it was an "exercise in open G" that goes nowhere... like "I'm Going Down" but this one's better than CC.

Date: July 12, 2020 10:32

dcba
NastyHabits

Really I always thought it was an "exercise in open G" that goes nowhere... like "I'm Going Down" but this one's better than CC.

It's a bit generic, yes. But it's a better and tighter band performance than "I'm Going Down". I think it could sound great if they had worked a little harder on the song for release at the time (and put some more effort in the lyrics, etc.).

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: July 12, 2020 11:23

a lot of money to spend winking smiley

i like the cassette and the t-shirts !

[www.bravado.de]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 12, 2020 12:49

NastyHabits
The video is okay I guess. Reminded me of a couple of girls I met when I was young. They're usually in their third abortion by age 20.

Mick (who called the shots on this one) would take it as a compliment as 20 yo girls (with or without abortions) are his target (from a marketing pov).

We the menopausal/andropausol IORR crowd are exactly the people he doesn't want to target. Mick wants young people at his shows hence this trendy vid.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 12, 2020 13:50

Apologies if this has been brought up but I'm being lazy & don't want to read whole thread. Listened to "Criss Cross" yesterday. It's ok but the guitar part sure sounds a real lot like "Brown Sugar" to me. That being said, pretty good song. I can see why it didn't make the final cut of GHS though.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home