Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 11, 2020 02:50

maumau
best rolling stones video in ages, great director, explicit, really in tune with the stones that chose the tongue logo, fit perfectly the song. really enjoy the whole thing. bravo mick
Totally agree. There are so many great shots in that film. I went through it frame by frame, each one a work of art.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 11, 2020 03:28

Why on I Tunes does it list 12 tracks on the bonus cd but leaves the names of the 11th and 12th track empty

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 11, 2020 03:32

MrEcho
maumau
best rolling stones video in ages, great director, explicit, really in tune with the stones that chose the tongue logo, fit perfectly the song. really enjoy the whole thing. bravo mick
Totally agree. There are so many great shots in that film. I went through it frame by frame, each one a work of art.

Also agree completely.

Believe the director Diana Kunst, was best known as a photographer, who has directed some big name videos more recently. The actress/model Guindilla Ontanaya a good friend of hers I also believe.
Interesting how the video is described as a "video diary" in the credits..
"The Rolling Stones 'Criss Cross' - a video diary by Diana Kunst 2015 - 2020"
As well as how it was filmed "Shot on Kodak Film and developed by Cinelab London."
[metal-rock-punk-news.blogspot.com]

Not certain that would mean some of the shots go back as far as 2015 or not, but that's the way I'm reading it. Very artfully done, and while sexy, certainly not sexist in any way imo.
Directed by a woman, with really no male or female interaction in the video, except for the end where the two women run into the ocean. Very well done.
I would say that about their last three videos that come to mind, Ride "Em On Down, Ghost Town and this one have all been excellent.

Re: Criss Cross - out July 9, 2020
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 11, 2020 04:10

Chris Fountain
calipachangero
I can see hear why this was an outtake. I like several songs on Goats Head Soup, nevertheless think it was a bit of a lowpoint, but understandable after such high standard set with the trilogy of Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Hope something will be made available from Black and Blue shortly!

Agreed -nothing special with Criss Cross and some outtakes from B & B might prove favorable.

An album that consists of only 8 songs - one of them a cover and two that were 'inspired' (ie, co written) by Woody or Billy Preston yet which took them 17 months to put out doesnt strike me as a period where they were particularly bursting with creativity.

They already reworked two of the leftover songs ('Worried about you' and 'Slave'). Doubt there are too many more that were close to finished. The fact that almost everything on Tattoo You needed overdubs, new vocals or lyrics speaks volumes.

I think its pretty obvious by now from these reissues and the hundreds of studio bootlegs over the years that the Stones simply dont have a lot of finished original songs in their vaults. Thats why its hard to imagine them releasing a career-spanning box set of outtakes. It would require far too much work to make the songs presentable. Who's going to buy a few cds worth of guff like 'Petrol Blues' or Mick singing out of tune dummy lyrics. If they did a release like that it would mostly have to be alternate takes of released songs.

Whilst they might work on 20-30 songs for an album, in the vast majority of cases they only seem to finish what they're going to use. Which is understandable. The concept of reissuing expanded versions of albums didnt exist in the 60s and 70s. Why waste time and money finishing 20 songs when you're only going to need ten.

Most of the best unreleased finished songs that are in circulation are covers.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 11, 2020 04:32

Here's today's Japanese pre-order rankings.

Starting with the #1 Super Deluxe Box, GHS occupies No. 2, No. 4, No. 7 and No. 9.
Viva The Rolling Stones!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 11, 2020 05:00

gotdablouse
phelge
So last year I was lucky enough to hear Sgt Pepper in Dolby ATMOS at Abbey Road. I then got to interview Giles Martin, son of George, who'd mixed it. They then set up a room in Liverpool over Christmas for the public to hear it.
Giles said then he was working on a GHS Dolby ATMOS mix with Mick. The Pepper mix was the coolest thing ever. But you need a room with around 50 speakers to hear it properly ie a cinema (they had a special listening room set up at Abbey Road).
So I'm wondering where we can hear the Dolby ATMOS version of GHS? It would be spectacular!

Wow that's interesting, don't believe it's ever been mentioned elsewhere before ! I must say I was a bit surprised when I saw the announcement for a 5.1 mix for GHS yesterday as there's only ONE Stones track available in 5.1 so far and that's "Sympathy for the Devil" that came out on an SACD at the time of the 2020 SACD rereleases as a "taster" I suppose although that mostly lead people to think that there 5.1 mixes on the actual SACD releases ;-)

Even without an Atmos system you can enjoy the immersive 5.1 audio with any "standard" 5.1 setup using a BD Player or PS4 or a PC Home Theater System.
don’t you mean 2002 instead of 2020 ?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 11, 2020 05:18

Gazza
I think its pretty obvious by now from these reissues and the hundreds of studio bootlegs over the years that the Stones simply dont have a lot of finished original songs in their vaults. Thats why its hard to imagine them releasing a career-spanning box set of outtakes. It would require far too much work to make the songs presentable. Who's going to buy a few cds worth of guff like 'Petrol Blues' or Mick singing out of tune dummy lyrics. If they did a release like that it would mostly have to be alternate takes of released songs.

Whilst they might work on 20-30 songs for an album, in the vast majority of cases they only seem to finish what they're going to use. Which is understandable. The concept of reissuing expanded versions of albums didnt exist in the 60s and 70s. Why waste time and money finishing 20 songs when you're only going to need ten.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and I tend to agree. Many people expect Tops and Waiting on a Friend to be released on an expanded Tattoo You, but I don’t see it. Why release a mix of an outtake with unfinished vocals? They ended up using those tracks and finishing them anyway. I’m not sure we’ll see Tattoo You released with alternates, although I’d welcome it. They could package it with an ‘81 show.

I think many of the bootlegged songs might not even be under their supervision anymore. These could be tapes that went “missing” and their current locations unknown.

People gave Jagger a lot of flack for the Exile outtakes saying songs didn’t stem from the Exile sessions, that’s true. Most of Exile didn’t stem from Exile sessions! I tend to think the instrumentals they finished were tapes pulled by Jimmy Miller to try and finish the album, and those cuts didn’t make it, but other songs like Sweet Black Angel did.

I could see a remix of It’s Only Rock N Roll, and would whole heartedly welcome it. I think Goats Head Soup sounds way better. I can see Through the Lonely Nights, Living in the Heart of Love, and possibly Drift Away being released with some other alternate mixes etc.

Bottom line, I kind of believe Jagger in that there probably isn’t much left that is ready for release. Why not release the alternate Dancing with Mr. D? Something is jacked up with the bootleg in the middle of it, maybe that’s on the tape and can’t be fixed?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 05:23 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: July 11, 2020 09:29

MisterDDDD
MrEcho
maumau

Also agree completely.

Believe the director Diana Kunst, was best known as a photographer, who has directed some big name videos more recently. The actress/model Guindilla Ontanaya a good friend of hers I also believe.
Interesting how the video is described as a "video diary" in the credits..
"The Rolling Stones 'Criss Cross' - a video diary by Diana Kunst 2015 - 2020"
As well as how it was filmed "Shot on Kodak Film and developed by Cinelab London."
[metal-rock-punk-news.blogspot.com]

Not certain that would mean some of the shots go back as far as 2015 or not, but that's the way I'm reading it. Very artfully done, and while sexy, certainly not sexist in any way imo.
Directed by a woman, with really no male or female interaction in the video, except for the end where the two women run into the ocean. Very well done.
I would say that about their last three videos that come to mind, Ride "Em On Down, Ghost Town and this one have all been excellent.

+1thumbs up
Beautiful video that catches the mood of the song and....hmmm... the 70s.

Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 11, 2020 10:28

bitusa2012
I like it. But the video? Now, I’m a red blooded male. But that’s crass from a band pushing into their 80s. Do they really think in 2020, that’s appropriate?

I'm far more shocked that once again Mick has decided to be "hip" and he asked a "hot" young "artist" to shoot this mess... I mean this video. Apparently she's an "acclaimed photographer and filmmaker". Well...

I hope she spent a good time travelling across the Usa at the expense of the band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 10:34 by dcba.

Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 11, 2020 12:12

dcba
bitusa2012
I like it. But the video? Now, I’m a red blooded male. But that’s crass from a band pushing into their 80s. Do they really think in 2020, that’s appropriate?

I'm far more shocked that once again Mick has decided to be "hip" and he asked a "hot" young "artist" to shoot this mess... I mean this video. Apparently she's an "acclaimed photographer and filmmaker". Well...

I hope she spent a good time travelling across the Usa at the expense of the band.

Thank God for Mick being hip, we are soooooo damn lucky. We’ll get the Stones Black Star when it’s time but it isn’t today

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 11, 2020 12:46

Gazza
Chris Fountain
calipachangero
I can see hear why this was an outtake. I like several songs on Goats Head Soup, nevertheless think it was a bit of a lowpoint, but understandable after such high standard set with the trilogy of Let it bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Hope something will be made available from Black and Blue shortly!

Agreed -nothing special with Criss Cross and some outtakes from B & B might prove favorable.

An album that consists of only 8 songs - one of them a cover and two that were 'inspired' (ie, co written) by Woody or Billy Preston yet which took them 17 months to put out doesnt strike me as a period where they were particularly bursting with creativity.

They already reworked two of the leftover songs ('Worried about you' and 'Slave'). Doubt there are too many more that were close to finished. The fact that almost everything on Tattoo You needed overdubs, new vocals or lyrics speaks volumes.

. I would love something like the Satanic Majesties bootleg box , where you have multiple takes of In Another land.Or what Yoko did with the Imagine album where you have multiple takes of songs from that album.Right now there is preparation to release a new Let it Be movie with previously unreleased stuff.To be creative you could have isolated tracks as well.There were like 75 takes of Tumbling Dice .What happened to them? Moonlight Mile was possibly cut down from 8 minutes.Maybe there are alternate Let it Bleed takes with Brian and Ry Cooder.Then there must be still better sounding live concerts from this era like London 1973 in the vaults.The Stones recorded and filmed all 4Texas shows in 1972.Where are they? None of this would sell to the casual fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 12:47 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 11, 2020 12:56

We are done with the recording in Kingston.
Mick and Keith will be heading to France. Taylor is to New York and Charlie is to London.
I am heading back to London ahead of them as my kid is coming back from boarding school for the Christmas holidays.
See you in Budokan.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: July 11, 2020 13:19

StonedRambler
Man, those who are complaining about the video here. Have you ever listend to the lyrics of you favourite band's music? Starfckr, Under My Thumb, Some Girls, Brown Sugar and now Criss Cross? I mean the Stones are not really role models of political correctness. They are what they are and that's what you have to accept with that band. With a new song that video might have been a bit strange in my opinion but as the song is from 1972 when almost every song was either about sex or drugs this video is quite fitting

thumbs upcool smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 11, 2020 14:00

StonedRambler
Man, those who are complaining about the video here. Have you ever listend to the lyrics of you favourite band's music? Starfckr, Under My Thumb, Some Girls, Brown Sugar and now Criss Cross? I mean the Stones are not really role models of political correctness. They are what they are and that's what you have to accept with that band. With a new song that video might have been a bit strange in my opinion but as the song is from 1972 when almost every song was either about sex or drugs this video is quite fitting

And the video is created in 2020. It’s crass from a bunch of 80yos

Rod

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 11, 2020 14:24

Taylor1 - I personally would LOVE to hear 75 takes of Tumbling Dice

(as long as I've got a stack of cold beers and a decent supply of smoke)

smileys with beersmoking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 11, 2020 15:23

video is nice...tune is like a Stones knock off...it reminds me a lot of the NY Dolls....just sayin'...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 11, 2020 16:51

Keep in mind: The Stones were in their late 20s when they wrote CRISS CROSS. It is not a new song, just a new video. So not a video by some guys in their 80s but by some guys in the 20s or 30s.

Date: July 11, 2020 18:16

I look at it more as a video made by a woman in her late 20's that captures the spirit of the song and the band in their late twenties and the era as well.

This line from her bio one of her other videos also describes her work on this.
"Whether creating films for fashion brands, skate companies, or banks, Diana is equally at home finding the unique personalities that fuel those narratives."

Bravo.

"At 26, Diana Kunst has already earned industry recognition winning multiple awards including a Silver Lion for her ‘Fashion to be Free’ film for Daviddelfin. Diana was also included in the 2015 Cannes Young Director Official Selection.

After graduating from the prestigious Escuela de Arte La Palma in Madrid with a bachelor’s degree in fine art photography, Diana decided to continue with her studies in cinema, television, and photography, dropping out three months before finishing to pursue her experiments in film, shooting underground performances in Madrid and London.

Although Diana’s work is guided by her roots as a still photographer, where light, framing and composition are carefully considered, ultimately her focus is on story and characters. Whether creating films for fashion brands, skate companies, or banks, Diana is equally at home finding the unique personalities that fuel those narratives. Her background as a stills photographer shines through in her work with her mastery of light, framing and composition, which she expertly uses in tandem with deftly portrayed characters and storylines.

Diana’s campaigns for Gucci, U.S. Polo and Le Chatueau evoke the unique spirit of each brand, setting the standard for more stellar work to come."
[www.freethebid.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 18:17 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:03

Curious if anyone else is wondering if the alternate mixes of Silver Train, 100 Years Ago and Hide Your Love are simply going to be the versions that ended up on the Acetates CD?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:13

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:18

The video is interesting but it's rather boring, actually: it could be used for any music. It does nothing with or for the song.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:19

MisterDDDD
Bravo.

Totally agree.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:40

GasLightStreet
The video is interesting but it's rather boring, actually: it could be used for any music. It does nothing with or for the song.

agree

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2020 20:10

Not sure what all the commotion is about over a video - really...who gives a crap.

Whether it's great or not (I think it's nice), never paid too much attention to videos by any band as I prefer to let the music do the talking.
Sure sometimes they might add something, while other times they can be a distraction, but I would never think they actually make or break a song.
Seems a waste of time to either criticize and bash or defend and over-praise like a cheerleader when the only thing that should matter is the song itself.
Like most Stones videos, this will be forgotten when all is said and done with just the song itself being the only thing that really matters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2020 20:29

GasLightStreet

It's basically a commercial. Could have been used to sell anything. Clothes, beer, cars, whatever. What creates the interest is the half naked model running around. Not exactly a new trick in the book.
Which could have created some criticism if it wasn't for a) a rock band b) or had a wider circulation. In this case I think they will get away with it. I don't think The Rolling Stones had much to do with the video.
But Sir Michael must have seen it anyway. He is not the Stones CEO for nothing...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:20

Hairball
Like most Stones videos, this will be forgotten when all is said and done with just the song itself being the only thing that really matters.

I don't think all RS videos will be forgotten though. I kind of liked the TY videos. However unpretentious they were. But of course, the big rock/pop video era is gone. The MTV years.
And the Stones haven't been that active in making videos since the 90's. They seem to leave it to third party agencies to make videos since then.

Date: July 11, 2020 21:25

Hairball
Not sure what all the commotion is about over a video - really...who gives a crap.

Whether it's great or not (I think it's nice), never paid too much attention to videos by any band as I prefer to let the music do the talking.
Sure sometimes they might add something, while other times they can be a distraction, but I would never think they actually make or break a song.
Seems a waste of time to either criticize and bash or defend and over-praise like a cheerleader when the only thing that should matter is the song itself.

Lol.
Makes little sense tbh and post seems designed more to bash people (shocked face).

OF COURSE the video should be discussed as an official release, like all their other videos and everything else they put out artistically.
Like it, don't like it.. think it's tawdry/inappropriate or artistic and relevant, opinions on releases etc are kinda what we do here.. winking smiley

Date: July 11, 2020 21:46

Stoneage
GasLightStreet

It's basically a commercial. Could have been used to sell anything. Clothes, beer, cars, whatever. What creates the interest is the half naked model running around. Not exactly a new trick in the book.
Which could have created some criticism if it wasn't for a) a rock band b) or had a wider circulation. In this case I think they will get away with it. I don't think The Rolling Stones had much to do with the video.
But Sir Michael must have seen it anyway. He is not the Stones CEO for nothing...

Yep it's basically a commercial - really no point for some to get so worked up and defensive over it, but that's not surprising as some will approve and defend anything the Stones release.
Whether it's Ronnie's crayon drawings or a video commerical to promote a 50 year old tune, it's all fantastic!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:51

MisterDDDD
Diana is equally at home finding the unique personalities that fuel those narratives[/i]

so the personality that fuel the narrative of "Criss Cross" is a vulgar chick with hairy armpits?
Damn, I would have much preferred a montage of 72-73 photos! drinking smiley

Date: July 11, 2020 21:54

Stoneage
Hairball

I don't think all RS videos will be forgotten though. I kind of liked the TY videos. However unpretentious they were. But of course, the big rock/pop video era is gone. The MTV years.
And the Stones haven't been that active in making videos since the 90's. They seem to leave it to third party agencies to make videos since then.

Well I did say "most Stones videos" and not all of them, but really...aside from diehard Stones fans, in the big picture none of their videos will matter to anyone when all is said and done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 21:54 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home