Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 101
Re: Criss Cross - out tomorrow
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 02:30

EasterMan
Why was this song often called "Criss Cross Man" by bootleggers when Mick is singing Criss Cross Mind?

Bootleggers thought he was saying "Man" when it was actually "Mind." Guess they didn't really look into the lyrics when it was first discovered. The actual title of the song is just "Criss Cross."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2020 03:32

MAF
Got a mail: Something's cooking...
Criss Cross Trailer
Video drected by Diana Kunst

Sounds like they might have messed up the bass on the new recording. I hope they didn't replace Bill, that's usually the best part of these 'bonus' cuts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2020 03:46

TravelinMan
thomashanck
did they cut out mick taylor's wah-wah ?

Good question. Could be a different take than what was released? Or maybe they dropped it out at certain parts, I guess we’ll find out.

My first thought was: Billy Preston would love this mix.

Hmmm yeah...that's part of what I referred to as it sounding cleaned up or given a facelift...that, and the overall vibe sounds awfully sterilized.
Please don't tell me they've erased Mick Taylor out of history?!!! If so, they f*cked it all up, but at least they didn't give it new Mick vocals - at least not that I can tell...
Seems Keith's guitar sound has been messed with...a bit wimpy sounding, but could be because I'm listening on laptop speakers.
I can imagine Mick attempting to edit/update the sound on his computer to give it that brand new state of the art vibe while indirectly losing it's balls in the process....

*I remember first hearing the boot of this tune way back when, and was blown away and baffled that it was never released...hope I get a similar impression now as I did then...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 9, 2020 05:44

Hairball
TravelinMan
thomashanck

Good question. Could be a different take than what was released? Or maybe they dropped it out at certain parts, I guess we’ll find out.

Hmmm yeah...that's part of what I referred to as it sounding cleaned up or given a facelift...that, and the overall vibe sounds awfully sterilized.
Please don't tell me they've erased Mick Taylor out of history?!!! If so, they f*cked it all up, but at least they didn't give it new Mick vocals - at least not that I can tell...
Seems Keith's guitar sound has been messed with...a bit wimpy sounding, but could be because I'm listening on laptop speakers.
I can imagine Mick attempting to edit/update the sound on his computer to give it that brand new state of the art vibe while indirectly losing it's balls in the process....

*I remember first hearing the boot of this tune way back when, and was blown away and baffled that it was never released...hope I get a similar impression now as I did then...

Boy, jumping at Mick by the first glimpse of a short clip on low-fi speakers... don't you think you're a bit early this time?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 9, 2020 05:50

24FPS
MAF
Got a mail: Something's cooking...
Criss Cross Trailer
Video drected by Diana Kunst

Sounds like they might have messed up the bass on the new recording. I hope they didn't replace Bill, that's usually the best part of these 'bonus' cuts.

If it’s a GHS recording, then there’s only about a 50% chance (at best) Wyman played on it in the first place.

Date: July 9, 2020 05:53

Hairball
TravelinMan
thomashanck

My first impression was the Richards guitar occupied a small footprint in the mix. That’s neither positive nor negative, just an observation. I’m still pumped about this release!

Date: July 9, 2020 05:58

*edit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 06:00 by Hairball.

Date: July 9, 2020 12:46

Sounds great to my ears. The bootleg had no dynamics whatsoever. Everybody were giving 100 percent constantly. No wonder a professional mix would balance it a bit.

Was the wah wah Taylor, btw, or Preston's keyboard?

EDIT: Not removed, and it's Preston. 2 Keith guitars and clavinet with wah wah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 9, 2020 13:02

HMN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 9, 2020 13:59

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:01

edit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 16:01 by pepganzo.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:03

It's on Spotify

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:04

on Itunes

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:07

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:14

Sounds Great!
Smokin' hot video as well spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:14

I think there are some redone vocals...if so done very well

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:47

brown sugar riff in there, but i like it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:49

snarf2014
I think there are some redone vocals...if so done very well

Yes, the lower vocal at 2:18 doesn't sound familiar, or those around 2:40, would have to compare with the booted versions.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:50

It's a bit different here and there...but I never really liked the outtake much, and this release doesn't really change it for me.

Mathijs

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:53

Thank You!

Date: July 9, 2020 16:56

DandelionPowderman
Sounds great to my ears. The bootleg had no dynamics whatsoever. Everybody were giving 100 percent constantly. No wonder a professional mix would balance it a bit.

Was the wah wah Taylor, btw, or Preston's keyboard?

EDIT: Not removed, and it's Preston. 2 Keith guitars and clavinet with wah wah.

Sounds like Taylor on bass.

Date: July 9, 2020 16:57

I hate the expression, “It is what is”, but I’ll make an exception in this case: it’s a Rolling Stones outtake.

Apart from the Stones-Can-Do-No-Wrong Brigade, I think we can see why it wasn’t included on GHS. It’s simply not that good and there’s a taste of Brown Sugar released only two years earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-09 17:15 by SonofHarlemShuffler.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 9, 2020 16:58

Yes, not much of a song really. I like the attitude, but that´s it. Radio stations won´t go nuts over this.

Date: July 9, 2020 17:00

I think it sounds great. I'm very pleased to have a professionally released version of this "classic" boot.

Date: July 9, 2020 17:03

Also, I never really heard the baritone (?) sax throughout.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:13

I liked it. Definitely an improvement on the bootlegged versions.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:24

Natlanta

And some All Down The Line

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:34

Natlanta

Sure it is.

The song is ok, nothing amazing, at least for me

Date: July 9, 2020 17:35

Full tune sounds impressive w/headphones - much better than the short snippet I heard yesterday with just laptop speakers. But it's also more evident now that the tune drags on and meanders a bit aimlessly -
that's part of the charm for me (at least it was with the bootleg), but maybe that's the reason they never released it - it was simply never finished properly. Overall it's a bit anticlimactic considering the boot has been widely available for many years now, and I doubt a 50 year old outtake that's been tinkered with and sterilized will make any sort of splash, but nice of them to release it officially. Would prefer some brand new tunes though....

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 9, 2020 17:54

love the loooong jamming coda, it sounds way much better than the bootlegs. love it

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home