Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 2, 2020 15:31

Guys, has this died on the vine ? There seems no further news concerning this; any ideas ?

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 2, 2020 16:16

Taylor1
From1973,I would like to hear a great sounding Nicaraguan Benefit Concert, Melbourne 1973,and London 1973 shows.And instead of well circulated outtakes like You Should Have Seen her Ass,a box set of outtakes like the bootleg one for Satanic Majesties, the one that has multiple takes of songs like In Another Land, Fly My Kite, etc.

The only thing that the Nicaraguan Benefit and Melbourne have in common with GHS is 1973.

London 1973 would be a very nice surprise.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2020 20:16

Father Ted
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
The Stones don't care. That is the problem.

I've always had this theory that as long as the big money was coming in from touring, archive releases were not on their top priority list because they simply did not need the extra income they generate. With their future as a live band very much in doubt because of obvious reasons, this might change soon.

That's what is puzzling - they can easily afford to do some nice releases. Mick is so forward thinking and modern and yawn yawn yawn... such crap. He can't be bothered... he hates to look back.

The set lists are the obvious give away - and Mick can certainly be bothered to do all of that looking back.

It's too bad he needs $$$ to be motivated and not the art of the music. If he can't be bothered to at least nod his head 'yes' just for stuff to be released, why did he bother to record it in the first place?

But does the band want to spend money on paying someone to research their archives and dig out a few outtakes, get them cleaned up, go through the whole production process for what may be very little profit? I think return-on-investment is the reason behind this.

Look at the From The Vault series - mostly newer, PPV shows that likely require very little in the way of clean-up. Compare that to the rumoured Paris '76 show, which would require massive effort and spend to turn into a viable commercial release.

Apple Records could do it again and it would sell. ABBEY ROAD, SGT PEPPER and THE BEATLES deluxe reissues sold well.

At this point, to my understanding, it's up to UMe/UMG/Whatever they go by to do any kind of archival studio release(s). Which is accurate - it's not up to the Stones to decide, just to do, however awful, some "work", which is downright pathetic.

(Universal) asked me if there were any tracks (from Exile on Main Street) that hadn't been used, and I said, I doubt it very much. Secondly, I just couldn't be bothered - but they said, Please, will you look? I was quite surprised to find the tapes in such a good state. They all had to be baked in ovens (to) last forever.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

It seems that some archiving wasn't done well at the time of various sessions, especially based on this comment:

They just sent me hundreds of hours of multitracks to go through, which was the best gig ever. It was all mixed up. It was labeled by number code and it wasn't an accurate directory of what it was...For a Stones fanatic like myself, it was just a field day. It was just surprise after surprise... There's an Exile underground, and I wanted to give them some surprises too, not just better mixes of stuff they are familiar with.
- Don Was, 2010

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 2, 2020 21:26

tomcasagranda
Guys, has this died on the vine ? There seems no further news concerning this; any ideas ?

According to the same source quoted by Georgelicks (40x5 Tributo Bar), this release was delayed to September.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-02 21:53 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 2, 2020 23:19

>They all had to be baked in ovens (to) last forever.

Thats completely crazy. After you "bake" tapes, you have one run through the tape player to capture what is there. The baking is a process that resticks the magnetic medium to the backing film of the tape when the magnetic medium is otherwise flaking off the backing. It does NOT "preserve" the tapes much less make them "last forever".

You would think he would know more about this, either that or they are using some super duper secret magik processes.

jb

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 3, 2020 07:36

jbwelda
>They all had to be baked in ovens (to) last forever.

Thats completely crazy. After you "bake" tapes, you have one run through the tape player to capture what is there. The baking is a process that resticks the magnetic medium to the backing film of the tape when the magnetic medium is otherwise flaking off the backing. It does NOT "preserve" the tapes much less make them "last forever".

You would think he would know more about this, either that or they are using some super duper secret magik processes.

jb

I'm sure he meant the content after the transfer to last forever, not the actual tapes as a physical medium.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 3, 2020 14:00

GasLightStreet
Father Ted
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

I've always had this theory that as long as the big money was coming in from touring, archive releases were not on their top priority list because they simply did not need the extra income they generate. With their future as a live band very much in doubt because of obvious reasons, this might change soon.

That's what is puzzling - they can easily afford to do some nice releases. Mick is so forward thinking and modern and yawn yawn yawn... such crap. He can't be bothered... he hates to look back.

The set lists are the obvious give away - and Mick can certainly be bothered to do all of that looking back.

It's too bad he needs $$$ to be motivated and not the art of the music. If he can't be bothered to at least nod his head 'yes' just for stuff to be released, why did he bother to record it in the first place?

But does the band want to spend money on paying someone to research their archives and dig out a few outtakes, get them cleaned up, go through the whole production process for what may be very little profit? I think return-on-investment is the reason behind this.

Look at the From The Vault series - mostly newer, PPV shows that likely require very little in the way of clean-up. Compare that to the rumoured Paris '76 show, which would require massive effort and spend to turn into a viable commercial release.

Apple Records could do it again and it would sell. ABBEY ROAD, SGT PEPPER and THE BEATLES deluxe reissues sold well.

At this point, to my understanding, it's up to UMe/UMG/Whatever they go by to do any kind of archival studio release(s). Which is accurate - it's not up to the Stones to decide, just to do, however awful, some "work", which is downright pathetic.

(Universal) asked me if there were any tracks (from Exile on Main Street) that hadn't been used, and I said, I doubt it very much. Secondly, I just couldn't be bothered - but they said, Please, will you look? I was quite surprised to find the tapes in such a good state. They all had to be baked in ovens (to) last forever.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

It seems that some archiving wasn't done well at the time of various sessions, especially based on this comment:

They just sent me hundreds of hours of multitracks to go through, which was the best gig ever. It was all mixed up. It was labeled by number code and it wasn't an accurate directory of what it was...For a Stones fanatic like myself, it was just a field day. It was just surprise after surprise... There's an Exile underground, and I wanted to give them some surprises too, not just better mixes of stuff they are familiar with.
- Don Was, 2010

[timeisonourside.com]

I think they difference between Apple Records and Universal is that the Stones are very much still an active, touring band that turns huge revenues off the back of their endless tour, Apple Records only have the The Beatles archives as an income source. There's no such pressure on Universal to milk the archives (yet).

Date: July 4, 2020 21:18

Father Ted
GasLightStreet
Father Ted
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

- Mick Jagger, 2010

- Don Was, 2010

[timeisonourside.com]

I think they difference between Apple Records and Universal is that the Stones are very much still an active, touring band that turns huge revenues off the back of their endless tour, Apple Records only have the The Beatles archives as an income source. There's no such pressure on Universal to milk the archives (yet).

Yeah... I agree with that. To a point.

The issue is possibly simpler: The Beatles albums are vastly more popular than any most popular Stones album. So there's actual demand.

Think of it: the Stones' biggest selling LP was SOME GIRLS. The reissue tanked. I find that disheartening yet not surprising (considering what was put on it and what was left off - a magnificent screw up!).

If the Stones had done an anthology series like the Beatles... they would sell - but only to the hardcore Stones fans. That may be less true in 2020 than 1995.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 8, 2020 16:57

Tomorrow an announcent ?

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 8, 2020 16:58

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 8, 2020 17:06

"Givin’ me a X CRISS CROSS X mind ... tomorrow 2pm BST"

[www.Instagram.com]

Date: July 8, 2020 17:18

Out on September 4: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 8, 2020 17:20

GasLightStreet
Father Ted
GasLightStreet
Father Ted
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

- Mick Jagger, 2010

- Don Was, 2010

[timeisonourside.com]

Yeah... I agree with that. To a point.

The issue is possibly simpler: The Beatles albums are vastly more popular than any most popular Stones album. So there's actual demand.

Think of it: the Stones' biggest selling LP was SOME GIRLS. The reissue tanked. I find that disheartening yet not surprising (considering what was put on it and what was left off - a magnificent screw up!).

If the Stones had done an anthology series like the Beatles... they would sell - but only to the hardcore Stones fans. That may be less true in 2020 than 1995.

Yep The Beatles still have a huge mass market appeal the Stones can only dream of! That said. do the same casual Beatles fans who bought the '1' compilation go on to buy any of the expensive reissue sets? Seems like a risky investment if you don't know the original albums intimately.

I'd love the Stones offer a physical format audio-video anthology for us fanatics and a cheaper digital/streaming package too. I'm not interested in photos and other bits of tat - give a decent book and plenty of unreleased content and I'll be a happy fan.

Date: July 8, 2020 17:20

Holy crap!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2020 18:56

Cristiano Radtke
Out on September 4: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Thanks, Cristiano. Hopefully that TBC placeholder will be updated with an official announcement soon.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: July 8, 2020 19:32

There will be a CD, Double CD and a Super Deluxe CD Box (3CD) released.
On Vinyl it´s very similar: LP, 2 LP and a 4 LP Super Deluxe Version.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 8, 2020 19:34

[www.facebook.com]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 8, 2020 19:53

Date: July 8, 2020 20:00

Tracklist for the outtakes CD:

Rarities&Alternative Mixes

1. Scarlet

2. All The Rage

3. Criss Cross

4. 100 Years Ago (Piano Demo)

5. Dancing With Mr D (Instrumental)

6. Heartbreaker (Instrumental)

7. Hide Your Love (Alternative Mix)

8. Dancing With Mr D (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

9. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) – (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

10. Silver Train (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

Brussels Affair will also be included . More info here (in French): [news.leportale.com]

Re: Goatre Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:04

"Scarlet"? God damn, where did they find this reportedly lost outtake? thumbs up

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:05

Cristiano Radtke
Tracklist for the outtakes CD:

Rarities&Alternative Mixes

1. Scarlet

2. All The Rage

3. Criss Cross

4. 100 Years Ago (Piano Demo)

5. Dancing With Mr D (Instrumental)

6. Heartbreaker (Instrumental)

7. Hide Your Love (Alternative Mix)

8. Dancing With Mr D (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

9. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) – (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

10. Silver Train (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix)

Brussels Affair will also be included . More info here (in French): [news.leportale.com]

I'm really excited about Scarlet. There has been so much praise by those who heard it.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:05

Also worth noting the 4 CD Box Set/4 LP Vinyl Box will have the complete Brussels Affair show!! Can't wait for September 4th!!!!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:07

Something’s cooking…

[twitter.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:12

MisterDDDD

Do I hear a little bit Brown Sugar?confused smiley

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:21

"And to drink...Scarlet O'Hara Cocktail, apparently a favourite with Jimmy Page."

eye popping smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:51

Something’s cooking….

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2020 20:52

All this hype for 3 outtakes plus 4 different mixes, 2 instrumental versions and a piano demo of songs that were on the album. Plus a show (albeit a great one) that has now been officially available for nine years.

Christ, and I thought the 'Sticky Fingers' deluxe was underwhelming.

I know there was a lot of songs listed for these sessions and its understandable they dont want to put out stuff that might be nothing more than a rough demo, but surely they have reasonably listenable versions of 'Waiting On A Friend' and other tracks

On the plus side. 'All The Rage' is a new title on me.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: July 8, 2020 21:03

I noticed Brussels vinyl is on 4 sides now, the previous version was 5 sides.

With the Brussels box set version MR and YCAGWYW had their own sides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-08 21:04 by jabhead.

Date: July 8, 2020 21:24

Gazza
All this hype for 3 outtakes plus 4 different mixes, 2 instrumental versions and a piano demo of songs that were on the album. Plus a show (albeit a great one) that has now been officially available for nine years.

Christ, and I thought the 'Sticky Fingers' deluxe was underwhelming.

I know there was a lot of songs listed for these sessions and its understandable they dont want to put out stuff that might be nothing more than a rough demo, but surely they have reasonably listenable versions of 'Waiting On A Friend' and other tracks

On the plus side. 'All The Rage' is a new title on me.

This is Mick not being bothered.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 8, 2020 21:32

Plus we'll hear Criss Cross tomorrow, that leaves 2 outtakes for September. Let's just totally bum out everyone..........

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home