Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:21

I doubt he LITERALLY means 'a couple' to be honest.

The 'limited super deluxe' edition that was briefly listed on Amazon Germany four weeks ago before being pulled referred to a 4-CD version.

I'd expect one disc of that to be the original album and one disc to be outtakes.

Going by the revisionist nature of past 'bonus discs', whether they'll all genuinely be from 1972-73 is another thing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2020 22:31

Gazza

The 'limited super deluxe' edition that was briefly listed on Amazon Germany four weeks ago before being pulled referred to a 4-CD version.

I'd expect one disc of that to be the original album and one disc to be outtakes.

Going by the revisionist nature of past 'bonus discs', whether they'll all genuinely be from 1972-73 is another thing.

I would hope he's being coy... I'm amazed he could be bothered, really.

Hopefully the bonus disc/album/material will be accurate to the GHS sessions.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 30, 2020 23:07

Gazza

Honestly, who really cares at this stage? I think it's clear by now that we won't get boatloads of outtake sets like from other artists from the Stones, so I'm happy with anything I can get from that time frame and won't complain if they throw in an IORR outtake or two - because it might take a loooong time before they touch this period again. And I'm not getting younger.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 30, 2020 23:20

Gazza

No, it said only: "Anzahl Disks/Tonträger: 4" -> Number of Discs/Sound carriers: 4 -- [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 1, 2020 00:58

retired_dog
Gazza

Honestly, who really cares at this stage? I think it's clear by now that we won't get boatloads of outtake sets like from other artists from the Stones, so I'm happy with anything I can get from that time frame and won't complain if they throw in an IORR outtake or two - because it might take a loooong time before they touch this period again. And I'm not getting younger.

You seam like the type that is never with anything.

Date: July 1, 2020 12:25

Cooltoplady
retired_dog
Gazza

You seam like the type that is never with anything.

Of course I'm "never with anything". What else?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2020 12:41

Gazza

The late 1972 Jamaican sessions seem to have been quite fruitful (in terms of quantity) so why not hope for the best?
And they have a joker in their sleeve : the early 1973 L.A. sessions that produced the (imo) absolutely great Windmill outtake and a bunch of primitive versions of the Ghs songs.

IORR regular Videojames has made sure the tapes from these 1973 sessions are now in the band's vaults, so... let's hope for the best! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 18:35 by dcba.

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: July 1, 2020 13:44

In the USA, Bull Moose had a placeholder listed for the super deluxe, for $142, so hopefully it’ll contain some juicy bits.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 1, 2020 18:22

Gazza

did anyone take a screenshot?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 1, 2020 18:40

Irix
Gazza

No, it said only: "Anzahl Disks/Tonträger: 4" -> Number of Discs/Sound carriers: 4 -- [iorr.org] .
That is why I expect
1CD = original album
1CD = bonus tracks
1LP = original album
1LP = bonus tracks
Number of discs = 4.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 1, 2020 18:41

slewan
Gazza

I didn't,but I've seen it...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 1, 2020 19:05

slewan

No, because there was nothing to see except 'Ltd.Super Del.Ed.', the release date 28-Aug-2020 and the Number of Discs. There was also no 2-Disc-Edition in the Amazon list.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: July 1, 2020 19:27

If the release date is 28-aug-2020, isn't about time with some official statement about it now?

Date: July 1, 2020 19:31

retired_dog
Gazza

You're not bothered by misrepresentation? Look at the EOMS and SG extra tracks - not even a scratch of the surface yet alone are true to their time - and look at, oh, The Beatles' ABBEY ROAD deluxe alone...

Nevermind the genius ANTHOLOGY series.

That's why people get discouraged etc. It shouldn't be difficult.

Date: July 1, 2020 20:10

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Gazza

You're not bothered by misrepresentation? Look at the EOMS and SG extra tracks - not even a scratch of the surface yet alone are true to their time - and look at, oh, The Beatles' ABBEY ROAD deluxe alone...

It doesn't matter what I want, I'm just realistic about what we - based on past experience - will most likely get.

I'm aware that fans of other artists were served the full meal, but the Stones always offered us a handful of rice until now when it comes to previously unreleased studio material.

Date: July 1, 2020 20:39

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Gazza

It doesn't matter what I want, I'm just realistic about what we - based on past experience - will most likely get.

I'm aware that fans of other artists were served the full meal, but the Stones always offered us a handful of rice until now when it comes to previously unreleased studio material.

That's great that what you want doesn't matter. Meanwhile I'll hold the fact that they misrepresent their bonus material when telling people, friends, that it's not really from EOMS or SOME GIRLS.

What does that matter? I get where you're coming from - we have no control etc... but there's a thing called having a standard!

So, if you bought a car and was told it was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme and you didn't care... and you went to sell it and sold it as a 1970 Cutlass Supreme but was told by people it's not a 1970, it's a 1974 and no one will give you the money you want based on what you think, not caring, you still wouldn't care.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 1, 2020 20:55

I don’t really care when and where they pull the outtakes from, I just wish they did a better and more thorough job on the booklets. I’d like more information on recording dates and personnel, etc. The reissue booklet for Exile was a disgrace.

Date: July 1, 2020 21:58

TravelinMan
I don’t really care when and where they pull the outtakes from, I just wish they did a better and more thorough job on the booklets. I’d like more information on recording dates and personnel, etc. The reissue booklet for Exile was a disgrace.

Clearly The Beatles people care, the Stones people don't.

Date: July 1, 2020 23:54

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Gazza

That's great that what you want doesn't matter. Meanwhile I'll hold the fact that they misrepresent their bonus material when telling people, friends, that it's not really from EOMS or SOME GIRLS.

What does that matter? I get where you're coming from - we have no control etc... but there's a thing called having a standard!

So, if you bought a car and was told it was a 1970 Cutlass Supreme and you didn't care... and you went to sell it and sold it as a 1970 Cutlass Supreme but was told by people it's not a 1970, it's a 1974 and no one will give you the money you want based on what you think, not caring, you still wouldn't care.

A rather crude comparison, don't you think? We are not talking about car trade rip-offs here, it's about an archive GHS CD release with possibly one or two IORR outtakes thrown in. Through the magic of internet availability, you can actually even listen to the stuff before you shell out your hard-earned cash to buy any physical product.

Besides, I'm all up for "a high standart of standartness", but in case of the Stones it's better to be realistic to avoid major disappointments. I mean, if want to dream of a multiple CD set with the entire GHS sessions or the like go ahead, but chances are great that it will remain a wet dream until the cold reality sets in. That's exactly what happened to me when Some Girls deluxe was released, I knew what they could have done with all these fabulous SG outtakes and was therefore disappointed with what they actually did. Which was still nice to have, but not as great as it could have been. And nobody outside our hardcore fan base cared a shit, not even everybody here.

The same could be said about Exile and Sticky Fingers deluxe, although in the case of Sticky Fingers, it was partly made up by the excellent Roundhouse live tracks. But still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-01 23:55 by retired_dog.

Date: July 2, 2020 00:03

retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Gazza

A rather crude comparison, don't you think? We are not talking about car trade rip-offs here, it's about an archive GHS CD release with possibly one or two IORR outtakes thrown in. Through the magic of internet availability, you can actually even listen to the stuff before you shell out your hard-earned cash to buy any physical product.

Besides, I'm all up for "a high standart of standartness", but in case of the Stones it's better to be realistic to avoid major disappointments. I mean, if want to dream of a multiple CD set with the entire GHS sessions or the like go ahead, but chances are great that it will remain a wet dream until the cold reality sets in. That's exactly what happened to me when Some Girls deluxe was released, I knew what they could have done with all these fabulous SG outtakes and was therefore disappointed with what they actually did. Which was still nice to have, but not as great as it could have been. And nobody outside our hardcore fan base cared a shit, not even everybody here.

The same could be said about Exile and Sticky Fingers deluxe, although in the case of Sticky Fingers, it was partly made up by the excellent Roundhouse live tracks. But still...

Eh.... it was just a point about what you get and you're told one thing... and then you said it anyway!

Which was my point - the SG leftovers, of the actual 1977-78 tracks I only liked 3 of them. So instead of getting to the really good stuff they throw in EMOTIONAL RESCUE recordings?

Hence the crude Cutlass bit... WE WERE RIPPED OFF.

The shame of it isn't that nobody cared... who of any fans will be able to actually say anything ie be heard/taken seriously?

The Stones don't care. That is the problem.

Date: July 2, 2020 00:06

dcba
Gazza

The late 1972 Jamaican sessions seem to have been quite fruitful (in terms of quantity) so why not hope for the best?
And they have a joker in their sleeve : the early 1973 L.A. sessions that produced the (imo) absolutely great Windmill outtake and a bunch of primitive versions of the Ghs songs.

IORR regular Videojames has made sure the tapes from these 1973 sessions are now in the band's vaults, so... let's hope for the best! grinning smiley

Yeah, sure, Videojames will save our souls... As far as I'm aware, not any of all the projects he talked about have actually materialized so far, so talk is cheap and action is the word.

Date: July 2, 2020 00:18

GasLightStreet

I've always had this theory that as long as the big money was coming in from touring, archive releases were not on their top priority list because they simply did not need the extra income they generate. With their future as a live band very much in doubt because of obvious reasons, this might change soon.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 2, 2020 00:26

Thats exactly what I was going to say as well. When the touring stops, the serious mining of the archive will begin. They need product, at least the record company needs product. My question would be just how "deep" is this supposed "archive". Could well be mighty shallow, which would lead to what we see now.

The other thing is, on the positive side, you have a captive audience sitting at home with limited live entertainment options, why not cater to that and rush release what you can, at least digital stream format? Seems like a no-brainer for a sure money maker to me. It must not be or it would be being done, and its not like the Stones organization seems to be one to not miss an opportunity to sell 40$ t shirts and stuff.

I am surprised to not have seen a tongue logo with a mask on yet.

jb

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 01:52

There will also be the usual 1cd, 2cd, 1lp and 2lp editions.

Date: July 2, 2020 10:10

retired_dog
GasLightStreet

I've always had this theory that as long as the big money was coming in from touring, archive releases were not on their top priority list because they simply did not need the extra income they generate. With their future as a live band very much in doubt because of obvious reasons, this might change soon.

That's what is puzzling - they can easily afford to do some nice releases. Mick is so forward thinking and modern and yawn yawn yawn... such crap. He can't be bothered... he hates to look back.

The set lists are the obvious give away - and Mick can certainly be bothered to do all of that looking back.

It's too bad he needs $$$ to be motivated and not the art of the music. If he can't be bothered to at least nod his head 'yes' just for stuff to be released, why did he bother to record it in the first place?

Date: July 2, 2020 10:11

jbwelda
Thats exactly what I was going to say as well. When the touring stops, the serious mining of the archive will begin. They need product, at least the record company needs product. My question would be just how "deep" is this supposed "archive". Could well be mighty shallow, which would lead to what we see now.

The other thing is, on the positive side, you have a captive audience sitting at home with limited live entertainment options, why not cater to that and rush release what you can, at least digital stream format? Seems like a no-brainer for a sure money maker to me. It must not be or it would be being done, and its not like the Stones organization seems to be one to not miss an opportunity to sell 40$ t shirts and stuff.

I am surprised to not have seen a tongue logo with a mask on yet.

jb

You're not looking!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 2, 2020 10:41

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
GasLightStreet

That's what is puzzling - they can easily afford to do some nice releases. Mick is so forward thinking and modern and yawn yawn yawn... such crap. He can't be bothered... he hates to look back.

The set lists are the obvious give away - and Mick can certainly be bothered to do all of that looking back.

It's too bad he needs $$$ to be motivated and not the art of the music. If he can't be bothered to at least nod his head 'yes' just for stuff to be released, why did he bother to record it in the first place?

But does the band want to spend money on paying someone to research their archives and dig out a few outtakes, get them cleaned up, go through the whole production process for what may be very little profit? I think return-on-investment is the reason behind this.

Look at the From The Vault series - mostly newer, PPV shows that likely require very little in the way of clean-up. Compare that to the rumoured Paris '76 show, which would require massive effort and spend to turn into a viable commercial release.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 2, 2020 11:43

dcba
Gazza

never heard windmill, just searched youtube and found this one with Taylorhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrGK6dl9gE

And this one without Taylor but sounds same basic take? [www.youtube.com]

Is there anymore but with clearer Taylor?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 2, 2020 12:57

From1973,I would like to hear a great sounding Nicaraguan Benefit Concert, Melbourne 1973,and London 1973 shows.And instead of well circulated outtakes like You Should Have Seen her Ass,a box set of outtakes like the bootleg one for Satanic Majesties, the one that has multiple takes of songs like In Another Land, Fly My Kite, etc.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 2, 2020 13:17

Taylor1
From1973,I would like to hear a great sounding Nicaraguan Benefit Concert, Melbourne 1973,and London 1973 shows.And instead of well circulated outtakes like You Should Have Seen her Ass,a box set of outtakes like the bootleg one for Satanic Majesties, the one that has multiple takes of songs like In Another Land, Fly My Kite, etc.
And a check on 256 Gazillion Dollars atop winking smiley.
Be reasonable. The best you can get is Brussels 1973 or 8-10 well known outtakes.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home