Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 5, 2020 11:03

Maindefender
dcba
Maindefender
glad to have the bonus tracks nonetheless

The very definition of "wasted opportunity" imo.
I mean KR has sessions with Don Covay in his vaults and he gives us a bunch of so-so covers and half-baked jams instead. Ouch!

What we got on EOMS was pretty much stuff we've heard as instrumentals, Aladin Song, Dancing In the Light, Pass The Wine....can you detail the KR Don Covay sessions a little?

No one outside VideoJames and maybe a few others had heard "Pass The Wine" before it was released on the Deluxe so it was a useful inclusion.

As for the alleged "KT Don Covay sessions", all we know is that Covay (and Womack) were apparently drafted in by Keith to "place" the vocals on tracks while Mick was busy elsewhere during the DW sessions. The only known "leak" being the 15' "Invitation" where Covay was mistakenly confused with...Mick for decades by even the best Stones outtakes experts ;-) Now since the Stones have everything they do recorded there is likely other stuff with Covay available in the "vaults".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 5, 2020 11:17

Irix
Father Ted

So is the GHS reissue confirmed officially?

Officially only in the sense of the announcement on 6-Feb-2020 - [iorr.org] .

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 5, 2020 12:38

gotdablouse
Maindefender
dcba
Maindefender

I mean KR has sessions with Don Covay in his vaults and he gives us a bunch of so-so covers and half-baked jams instead. Ouch!

What we got on EOMS was pretty much stuff we've heard as instrumentals, Aladin Song, Dancing In the Light, Pass The Wine....can you detail the KR Don Covay sessions a little?

No one outside VideoJames and maybe a few others had heard "Pass The Wine" before it was released on the Deluxe so it was a useful inclusion.

As for the alleged "KT Don Covay sessions", all we know is that Covay (and Womack) were apparently drafted in by Keith to "place" the vocals on tracks while Mick was busy elsewhere during the DW sessions. The only known "leak" being the 15' "Invitation" where Covay was mistakenly confused with...Mick for decades by even the best Stones outtakes experts ;-) Now since the Stones have everything they do recorded there is likely other stuff with Covay available in the "vaults".

Stand corrected, hopefully a couple Pass The Wine type surprises in August. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-05 15:05 by Maindefender.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2020 17:51

Maindefender
gotdablouse
Maindefender
dcba
Maindefender

Stand corrected, hopefully a couple Pass The Wine type surprises in August. Thanks

I've heard a few DIRTY WORK recordings but never heard Invitation as far as I recall.

Date: June 5, 2020 17:56

Am listening to it now.

Can hear why people might be confused (the 'You don't tell me' parts) but only if they're not listening.

Sounds like Ronnie on drums.

"Let the saxophone player play" and it's a guitar solo.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 5, 2020 18:01

GasLightStreet
Am listening to it now.

Can hear why people might be confused (the 'You don't tell me' parts) but only if they're not listening.

Sounds like Ronnie on drums.

"Let the saxophone player play" and it's a guitar solo.

...and then arrive Mick with "Winning Ugly" sad smiley

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: June 5, 2020 19:50

Winning Ugly is a great song with some electrifying lead from Keith...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 7, 2020 18:12

Maindefender
gotdablouse
Maindefender
dcba
Maindefender

Yes there might be stuff that we've never even heard of...the same outtakes lists have been making the rounds for decades ! I'm not sure where the first list of GHS outtakes was published (copyrights ?), anyone here know/remember? The last time any real new info was added was in VideoJames' book in 1997 but for "some reason" he shared zero info on the unknown songs he mentioned, only on those available on boots. And he didn't even mention "Plundered My Soul" that he later said here he had heard...probably because it was an untitled instrumental. In the case of GHS there are quite a few known titles that haven't circulated so let's hope we at least get all of these...if they exist !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 7, 2020 18:22

I hope the print for the GHS reissue is done a lot better than the STICKY FINGERS reissue - it's almost impossible to read.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: June 9, 2020 04:01

Would an Australian 1973show qualify for a Goats Head Soup reissue,since it was being recorded around the time of that tour.The afternoon Melbourne show has the band firing on all cylinders.But the sound of the bootleg is awful.Too bad their is no professionally recorded tape of that show since the band played great

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2020 04:04

..... me say YEAH ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 9, 2020 10:00

I don't know what I'm looking forward to more; the GHS reissue, or the new Dylan album, plus rumours of Infidels by Dylan being the next to get Bootleg Series treatment.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 9, 2020 11:46

tomcasagranda
I don't know what I'm looking forward to more; the GHS reissue, or the new Dylan album, plus rumours of Infidels by Dylan being the next to get Bootleg Series treatment.
I'm personally looking forward to a new stones album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2020 12:05

.... yep new Stones album ....
Its the main thing that'll keep me alive ....

well there is the well too ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: June 10, 2020 10:59

Whale
tomcasagranda

I prefer Goats Head Soup Re-issue. More interesting than a new album with boring songs like Living in a Ghost Town.

I really love the Stones but I don't like any new songs or any future albums. Nothing new, nothing special. Every time when I see a recent performance, I see; Charlie enjoys playing but prefers to stay at home and quit, Ronnie wants to give a private show and carries the guitar parts, Keith is only playing one or two licks and struggles when he sings and Mick is the only one full of energy but he's more of controlfreak right now.

I'm more of a 1964-1976 fan; raw power, energy, a real band those band.Don't shoot me. LOL

But no matter what...the Stones are my heroes. smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2020 23:05

DiamondDog7
Whale
tomcasagranda

I prefer Goats Head Soup Re-issue. More interesting than a new album with boring songs like Living in a Ghost Town.

I really love the Stones but I don't like any new songs or any future albums. Nothing new, nothing special. Every time when I see a recent performance, I see; Charlie enjoys playing but prefers to stay at home and quit, Ronnie wants to give a private show and carries the guitar parts, Keith is only playing one or two licks and struggles when he sings and Mick is the only one full of energy but he's more of controlfreak right now.

I'm more of a 1964-1976 fan; raw power, energy, a real band those band.Don't shoot me. LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's hilarious - you already know you don't like new songs or albums that have yet to be recorded yet alone released!

On a serious note, I could easily understand how someone wouldn't like their work past a certain date (album). For me, critically (as in, inventively) they ended with UNDERCOVER and REWIND and have ever since just been plodding along sounding like The Rolling Stones. I like whatever from whatever, some more than others, but I hardly listen to anything post-1983 in comparison to 1968-1983 specifically. I do listen to pre-1968 Stones, just not as much as.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: June 10, 2020 23:37

DiamondDog7
Whale
tomcasagranda

I wish I was a critical consumer. Unfortunately I'm not. I'm a happy child any time they release something. Be it a new song, be it another Vegas concert, be it a re-release...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 11, 2020 10:40

Whale
DiamondDog7
Whale
tomcasagranda

I wish I was a critical consumer. Unfortunately I'm not. I'm a happy child any time they release something. Be it a new song, be it another Vegas concert, be it a re-release...

Same. There's still a few From The Vaults releases sitting on the shelf in their wrappers. Some unkind fans would say they should stay like that grinning smiley

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: June 11, 2020 10:45

Whale
DiamondDog7
Whale
tomcasagranda

Well, then you might go for these "new" releases...

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: June 18, 2020 02:29

Noticed all the official Stones social media outlets posted the Dancing With Mr D video...hmmmm....gearing up ??

Date: June 18, 2020 10:18

quietbeatle
Noticed all the official Stones social media outlets posted the Dancing With Mr D video...hmmmm....gearing up ??

Hmmm... only on Facebook. So, no gearing up yet. ;-)

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: June 18, 2020 15:22

thought I saw it on IG too? No?

Date: June 18, 2020 16:41

quietbeatle
thought I saw it on IG too? No?

Nope. Nothing on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube. Just a random video post of Dancing with Mr. D on Facebook. That's all.

Trust me, I think you will notice when there's a GHS media campaign. But for now....still nothing yet.

Date: June 18, 2020 16:42

It's unlikely that they'll start a campaign before the holidays, when the album's due in late August?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 18, 2020 20:00

gotdablouse

As for the alleged "KT Don Covay sessions", all we know is that Covay (and Womack) were apparently drafted in by Keith to "place" the vocals on tracks while Mick was busy elsewhere during the DW sessions.

Nope I'm talking about the 1987 sessions :

"870300D late March - 8th April: KEITH RICHARDS. New York, Studio 900. Jamming, writing and recording of demos (about 40 ideas/tracks).

Musicians: KR (gtr, voc)/MT (gtr)/Steve Jordan (dr)/Bernie Worrell (keyb)/Don
Covay (bvoc)/& others".

I'd have much prefered hearing this than some uninspired MT guitar noodling.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 18, 2020 22:59

I've been out of this thread for a while. Is August a confirm date for the re-release?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 18, 2020 23:05

peoplewitheyes

I've been out of this thread for a while. Is August a confirm date for the re-release?

Not officially yet, but it was mentioned by georgelicks and Amazon.de - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 19, 2020 06:47

Great! Thanks Irix

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 21:43

No news huh?

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: June 30, 2020 22:06

rattler2004
No news huh?

This may be just as official as anything else:

And we got a reissue of Goats Head Soup with a couple of extra tracks. So I’m trying to finish off those extra tracks that were done at the time.”

[www.annarbors107one.com]

If it's gonna be 2 of 3 songs - basically a waste of time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home