Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: March 30, 2020 21:21

I remember liking Mickboy”s remaster of the album. It wasn’t so muddy.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 30, 2020 21:46

I enjoyed Mickboy's work, but invoking his remasters used to incite a lot of strong feelings around here. Though the most enjoyable were the reactions if you called them remixes.

Date: March 30, 2020 23:48

I hope someone here can give me an answer about this.

I just noticed when I put my album on the turntable that both sides say side two. I can see that one side has another label underneath it but I am reluctant to peel it off to see what it says.

Anyone else seen or heard of this.

I haven't played the album much since I got the CD years ago but I just had the turntable serviced and thought I'd crank a few albums on it.

Since there are others on here with much more knowledge of this sort of thing can someone give me a little insight on this please.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2020 00:11

Collectors item ….. probably worth
millions if ya can find a double label collector ….

Trouble is they usually still live at home with
their mum and have very little contact with the outside world ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 31, 2020 00:20

''and have very little contact with the outside world ….''

Isn't that most of us right now, Rocky?

smileys with beer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 31, 2020 00:25

georgemcdonnell314

I just noticed when I put my album on the turntable that both sides say side two. I can see that one side has another label underneath it but I am reluctant to peel it off to see what it says.

It's a manufacturing fault - there was a wrong label in the pressing machine. It's a frequently seen error with Vinyl in general: the same label appears on both sides, or the labels are reversed, or there are two labels off-center on the same side. Such errors can make the LP worth less because collectors could see them as flawed rather than unusual or unique - [www.Goldminemag.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-31 00:40 by Irix.

Date: March 31, 2020 16:03

Thanks for everyone who gave input to the album misprint.

The original album sounds better than the CD.

Date: March 31, 2020 16:23

Rocky Dijon
I enjoyed Mickboy's work, but invoking his remasters used to incite a lot of strong feelings around here. Though the most enjoyable were the reactions if you called them remixes.

Same here. I liked them, but I guess they have been surpassed easily nowadays. My old Mickboy Cds have also rotted.
Mickboy and Sister Morphine boots are always the ones that send folks into fits LOL.

Date: March 31, 2020 16:55

Just dug my ol’ Mickboy’s remaster. Still sounded good and luckily hasn’t rotted.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 31, 2020 20:24

Irix
georgemcdonnell314

It's a manufacturing fault - there was a wrong label in the pressing machine. It's a frequently seen error with Vinyl in general: the same label appears on both sides, or the labels are reversed, or there are two labels off-center on the same side. Such errors can make the LP worth less because collectors could see them as flawed rather than unusual or unique - [www.Goldminemag.com] .
Actually, with CDs the story is a bit different. A few weeks ago this Hotel California target CD with 'twisted' label was sold for no less than $255

while CDs with normal label rarely went over $20

But here two factors came into play - misprinted 'target CD' and Eagles.
And I do not want to bring here those West German 1st generation of PDO pressed Beatles CDs that had some minor misprints winking smiley

Date: March 31, 2020 22:46

Thanks Irix. The memories behind the album make it worth a lot to me!

Irix
georgemcdonnell314

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 1, 2020 01:21

>Mickboy and Sister Morphine boots are always the ones that send folks into fits

I remember Mickboy and have some of his cds, he made me some specials too back then. But what would throw people into fits about them? And Sister Morphine, I seem to remember that label and some groundbreaking release or maybe two on the label but again what gets people up on them?

Just wondering...

jb

Date: April 1, 2020 14:28

ironbelly
Irix
georgemcdonnell314

Actually, with CDs the story is a bit different. A few weeks ago this Hotel California target CD with 'twisted' label was sold for no less than $255

while CDs with normal label rarely went over $20

But here two factors came into play - misprinted 'target CD' and Eagles.
And I do not want to bring here those West German 1st generation of PDO pressed Beatles CDs that had some minor misprints winking smiley

I don't have any Eagles albums, and esp. not that one. So looking at that tracklist I am amazed how many big hits were on there. That thing was loaded.
I want to say the producer's name out loud.

Date: April 1, 2020 15:48

jbwelda
>Mickboy and Sister Morphine boots are always the ones that send folks into fits

I remember Mickboy and have some of his cds, he made me some specials too back then. But what would throw people into fits about them? And Sister Morphine, I seem to remember that label and some groundbreaking release or maybe two on the label but again what gets people up on them?

Just wondering...

jb

Nothing big. Not everyone liked Mickboy's work feeling it was counterfeit to treat them as if they were remixes. Likewise there were people that thought Sister Morphine simply stole their releases from other bootleggers and claims of superior sound were simply fans believing the hype.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 1, 2020 18:26

I hope they include:

You Should Have Seen Her Ass (what a jam)

Alternate Dancing With Mr. D

Waiting On A Friend (maybe something interesting exists)

Separately (This would be cool with new Jagger vocals)

Fast Talking Slow Walking

All of these:

After Muddy & Charlie, English Rose, First Thing, Four and IN, Give Us a Break, Man-Eating Woman, Miami, Zabadoo (that is if these are actually from GHS sessions)

Anything and everything we don't know about!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-01 18:28 by TravelinMan.

Date: April 1, 2020 18:32

Rocky Dijon
jbwelda

Just wondering...

jb

Nothing big. Not everyone liked Mickboy's work feeling it was counterfeit to treat them as if they were remixes. Likewise there were people that thought Sister Morphine simply stole their releases from other bootleggers and claims of superior sound were simply fans believing the hype.

Wasn't it more like they were running the files through a sound filter and presented them as masters? It's been a while, I don't remember. I'm pretty sure SM was accused of doing that.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 1, 2020 19:06

DandelionPowderman

Wasn't it more like they were running the files through a sound filter and presented them as masters?

yeah they were running other labels' releases through a loud metallic painful "remaster" then claiming their version was the best ever. eye rolling smiley

Cool Cool Hand (the label's sound "wizard") should have been named Arthritic Butcher! >grinning smiley<

Date: April 1, 2020 23:39

I often find that to be the case...a lot of people drink the kool aid instead of keeping an objective stance about something, particularly something subjective like supposed sound quality. I remember that happening a lot with "best ever sound" boot Stones releases. I would be all excited and then when I heard them (after buying what I already had a handful of versions of) I thought, "Fk, ripped off again!" Or, "man I got to get some new <insert component here..speakers, cartridge (in vinyl days), pre-amp, etc> because I don't hear much difference between this supposedly 'improved' version and what I already had".

One I found this NOT to be true of, and it didn't have anything to do with SM, was the RSVP version of Beggars Banquet...but I wrote off the spectacular sound to having listened to 10th gen sub masters on the original releases for years, so when you got a close to master gen release it sounded really great in comparison.

That said I am going to dig out some SM cds (maybe I only have one and I don't recall the one that made the big splash back then) and revisit them. Or it. Or whatever.

What was their "groundbreaking" title again?

jb

Date: April 2, 2020 08:37

So, not to go even further off the topic at hand, but I was just going through my boot cds and came across the mickboy ones, which still appear to play fine, but also the sister morphine release I was trying to remember. It was that double door show at the club in Chicago i think it was, and you are right, real metallic sound to it, too heavy hand on the processing I think. So many memories...

jb

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 2, 2020 13:09

TravelinMan
I hope they include:

All of these:

After Muddy & Charlie, English Rose, First Thing, Four and IN, Give Us a Break, Man-Eating Woman, Miami, Zabadoo (that is if these are actually from GHS sessions)

thumbs up

Date: April 2, 2020 13:49

I don't agree that all SM releases went through that process. I knew the main guys, and am sure that for a good while that was not the case.
Regardless, this thread made me recall the great, heated discussions upon new CD releases. The tours were still happening live. There was still a reasonable number of labels. In other words, you were able to keep kind of an overview of what was going on.
That was a great time during the B2B and then the '99 tour. There was a website..Hendrik, and he' would give good feedback.
Also, I remember all the artwork was a big deal.

Date: April 2, 2020 19:35

Yes, the artwork...but I don't buy sizzle, I buy the steak. Good artwork often obscures the lack of quality steak at the core of the matter.

jb

Date: April 2, 2020 19:54

For me, Mickboy's work was interesting. There were some SM titles I thought were terrific, some not. I didn't have a problem with Cool Cool Hand myself. There were labels like Swingin' Pig, Vigotone, Sister Morphine, Invasion Unlimited, and several others that I sought out actively in those days.

Date: April 3, 2020 00:26

Palace Revolution 2000

SM’s or Mickboy’s?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: April 3, 2020 10:16

KRiffhard
TravelinMan
I hope they include:

All of these:

thumbs up

Please...NO NEW vocals/lyrics by Jagger!!

MJ destroyed a beautiful solid instrumental like 'So Divine' (Aladdin Story) on Exile. Those lyrics were awful and he sang it bad.
Let's keep Separatly instrumental. Such a beautiful track.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 3, 2020 15:46

So Divine is not a beautiful song it’s a boring dirge withthe Paint It Black riff

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 3, 2020 16:06

DiamondDog7
KRiffhard
TravelinMan
I hope they include:

All of these:

thumbs up

Please...NO NEW vocals/lyrics by Jagger!!

MJ destroyed a beautiful solid instrumental like 'So Divine' (Aladdin Story) on Exile. Those lyrics were awful and he sang it bad.

I hope they include it either way, get Taylor some songwriting credit.

Date: April 3, 2020 17:13

DiamondDog7

Too late. Taylor already wrote and added lyrics and vocals in the 1990s for his solo release of the song.

Date: April 3, 2020 17:18

TravelinMan

I hope they include it either way, get Taylor some songwriting credit.

On a related note, Ronnie actually gets songwriting royalties for two tracks on SOME GIRLS DELUXE while the sleeve only credits him for "When You're Gone." BMI shows he is also credited as a co-writer on "Do You Think I Really Care?"

Date: April 3, 2020 17:27

padre69
Palace Revolution 2000

SM’s or Mickboy’s?
I mean like the artwork of all the boots period. There were some sites that displayed only the artwork.

LOL I know for a fact that I bought some boots based entirely on the cover shot. Some covers were just so cool, I just knew it was going to be a good disc. There was a (I think) Dog'n Cat release that had a 1970 shot of Live Jagger with his head tilted sideways at a crazy angle. That was one.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home