Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2020 10:36

Studio kinda cloudy …………

ROCKMAN

Date: February 25, 2020 10:41

In 1963 Jamaican Byron Lee purchased the
West Indies Records Limited (WIRL) studios from Edward Seaga….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 25, 2020 11:52

Quite .

Jamaican clouds don't necessarily have much to do with the weather.

Date: February 25, 2020 12:23

GetYerAngie
floodonthepage
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

It's the first intire album composed in the knowlegde that Beatles is not around anymore.

Interesting observation. I thought it was EOMS...

Some EOMS songs like "Loving Cup" date back to 1969.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

There's always an exception: Hide Your Love was started in 1970, wasn't it? smiling smiley

Date: February 25, 2020 13:02

Glimmers with Jimmy Miller
Dynamic Sound Studio Kingston Jamaica 1972 ……………………….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2020 13:03

"joint production"?

Huh huh huh... >grinning smiley< (sorry couldn't resist)

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 25, 2020 13:42

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
floodonthepage
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

It's the first intire album composed in the knowlegde that Beatles is not around anymore.

There's always an exception: Hide Your Love was started in 1970, wasn't it? smiling smiley

Yes, but after The Beatles split.

Date: February 25, 2020 13:54

GetYerAngie
DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
floodonthepage
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Yes, but after The Beatles split.

Good point! smiling smiley

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: February 25, 2020 14:00

Not sure if this has already been suggested before, but detailed and reliable recording infos can be found here:

https://aeppli.ch/tug.htm

Specifically for tracks recorded that were released on "Goats Head Soup":

https://aeppli.ch/Stones/TUG1970-1973Up.pdf

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 25, 2020 16:14

Rockman

Glimmers with Jimmy Miller
Dynamic Sound Studio Kingston Jamaica 1972 ……………………….

Look at that headline: “Armed Men Rob...”

Think that had something to do with Wyman?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2020 18:30

TIRED
Not sure if this has already been suggested before, but detailed and reliable recording infos can be found here:

Rocky, I looked at this, which is fantastic, for 1979 about Think I'm Going Mad and it says Bobby Keys but one of them "may be Ron Wood" so apparently officially no one knows who played saxophone on Think I'm Going Mad.

Additionally to that, they show no studio work done in 1981 for TATTOO YOU, which is strange seeing that there was work done in 1981, especially the final lead vocals for Start Me Up.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 25, 2020 19:48

GasLightStreet
TIRED

Rocky, I looked at this, which is fantastic, for 1979 about Think I'm Going Mad and it says Bobby Keys but one of them "may be Ron Wood" so apparently officially no one knows who played saxophone on Think I'm Going Mad.

Additionally to that, they show no studio work done in 1981 for TATTOO YOU, which is strange seeing that there was work done in 1981, especially the final lead vocals for Start Me Up.

I think all of "Neighbors" was done in '81

Date: February 25, 2020 21:08

Look at that headline: “Armed Men Rob...”

Yeah and it looks like a photo of Stones beside it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: February 25, 2020 21:19

Much of Tattoo You was Jagger doing vocal overdubs in Paris with the Stones mobile unit parked inside a warehouse. There was a great article about this a few years ago that detailed Mick's daily commute to the warehouse, the lack of heat and his desire to pull an album together before they set out on a new tour.

Date: February 25, 2020 22:15

Send It To me
GasLightStreet
TIRED

I think all of "Neighbors" was done in '81

There were no known band sessions in 1981.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 25, 2020 23:28

FlyoverStones
Much of Tattoo You was Jagger doing vocal overdubs in Paris with the Stones mobile unit parked inside a warehouse. There was a great article about this a few years ago that detailed Mick's daily commute to the warehouse, the lack of heat and his desire to pull an album together before they set out on a new tour.

Indeed. Chris Kimsey posted it. Very interesting read

[www.soundonsound.com]

Its quite amazing to think that in the period of six weeks that Mick and Chris took to finish the vocals for what turned out to be a hugely successful album, Keith didnt show up once, despite living a few miles away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-25 23:37 by Gazza.

Date: February 26, 2020 00:11

That's it, that's the one. Thank you so much for posting the link. I had lost track of it over the years. What a phenomenal read.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 26, 2020 03:07

Bill played bass much better on '73 Live Versions of Doctor D, than Mick Taylor played bass on the studio cut.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 26, 2020 03:14

Gazza
FlyoverStones

Indeed. Chris Kimsey posted it. Very interesting read

[www.soundonsound.com]

Its quite amazing to think that in the period of six weeks that Mick and Chris took to finish the vocals for what turned out to be a hugely successful album, Keith didnt show up once, despite living a few miles away.

Didn't Keith record new vocals for Little T & A in '81?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2020 03:20

Maybe he did, its hard to tell as the sessionography has a lot of guesswork. But if he did, then going by that article, he must have done so in New York, not Paris.

Date: February 26, 2020 09:39

Gazza
Maybe he did, its hard to tell as the sessionography has a lot of guesswork. But if he did, then going by that article, he must have done so in New York, not Paris.

Yep, supposedly they/Chris/Keith used three studios in New York: Atlantic Studios, Electric Ladyland Studios and Hit Factory & Power Station.

«Bulldog» (the working title), instrumental version, was recorded for ER in the Bahamas at Compass Point.

We don't really know for sure whether Keith added vocals after Compass Point, though. As you say, there's a lot of guesswork here.

Date: February 26, 2020 13:17

It would be great if the reissue had some outtakes, demos and rough instrumentals for us to hear the progression of the songs. Perhaps even some live cuts of rare songs.

I could swear I heard a live version of Worried About You from an Australian show in the mid 1970’s long before it appeared on Tattoo You.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 26, 2020 13:51

FlyoverStones
It would be great if the reissue had some outtakes, demos and rough instrumentals for us to hear the progression of the songs. Perhaps even some live cuts of rare songs.

I could swear I heard a live version of Worried About You from an Australian show in the mid 1970’s long before it appeared on Tattoo You.
El Mocambo is the answer winking smiley See DAC-117, Tracks 1 and 10.

Date: February 26, 2020 14:07

Date: February 26, 2020 16:11

It would be very interesting to hear any kind of outtakes of songs that we never have experienced in that way. Like "Coming Down Again", or "Angie".
Also e.g. I wouldn't mind knowing why Jagger, Keith or M. Chess and/ or J. Miller decided to include "Hide Your Love" in sequencing. I don't have any sessionography in front of me, but I can well imagine that HYL was one of those last minute recording jams, that comes along at the right minute, and is held in favor because it's the new baby. I wonder if GHS had been released 3 weeks later if "Criss Cross" had stayed included.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 26, 2020 16:14

Allegedly it was included because Ahmet Ertegun specifically asked for the inclusion of one of their piano blues that they tossed off as warm-ups to sessions. Story told by Jimmy Miller at some point.

Date: February 26, 2020 16:38

And HYL had been around since 1970, so they probably had hummed it a few times and knew it well smiling smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 26, 2020 18:00

TravelinMan
I feel like Exile is a 50’s album recorded in the early 70’s by a band in their twenties, while Goats Head is thoroughly a 70’s album. The clav is a quintessential 70’s keyboard.

I don’t consider Dancing With Mr. D a rocker, but a druggy, swampy, blues. Star, Heartbreaker, Silver Train, and the latter part of 100 Years Ago Rock much harder than Mr. D.

As much as I enjoy a lot of the tunes on Goats Head Soup, I always thought that Dancing with Mr D was one of the weakest openers of a Rolling Stone record. I sometimes wonder whether a different running order of songs would have elevated GHS status.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-26 18:01 by Sighunt.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 26, 2020 19:17

Sighunt
TravelinMan
I feel like Exile is a 50’s album recorded in the early 70’s by a band in their twenties, while Goats Head is thoroughly a 70’s album. The clav is a quintessential 70’s keyboard.

I don’t consider Dancing With Mr. D a rocker, but a druggy, swampy, blues. Star, Heartbreaker, Silver Train, and the latter part of 100 Years Ago Rock much harder than Mr. D.

As much as I enjoy a lot of the tunes on Goats Head Soup, I always thought that Dancing with Mr D was one of the weakest openers of a Rolling Stone record. I sometimes wonder whether a different running order of songs would have elevated GHS status.

I think it was a miscalculation on their part. It sounded great on stage in '73. Then again, Angie was the only other cut that would have been a strong opener. They usually kicked off albums with a rocker, and there were only a handful to choose from on GHS, with Dancing With Mister D being closest to being a single. I think it's one of the things that make a lot of Stones fans consider this album uneven. Angie is simply head and shoulders above anything else on the album. Kind of like the Undercover album. Undercover of the Night simply blows away the rest of the album, although GHS, overall, was a much stronger work than Undercover.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 26, 2020 21:27

24FPS
Sighunt
TravelinMan

I think it was a miscalculation on their part. It sounded great on stage in '73. Then again, Angie was the only other cut that would have been a strong opener. They usually kicked off albums with a rocker, and there were only a handful to choose from on GHS, with Dancing With Mister D being closest to being a single. I think it's one of the things that make a lot of Stones fans consider this album uneven. Angie is simply head and shoulders above anything else on the album. Kind of like the Undercover album. Undercover of the Night simply blows away the rest of the album, although GHS, overall, was a much stronger work than Undercover.

Criss Cross or Silver Train could have made acceptable openers. CC would have been a more than adequate live song on the '73 tour than Mr. D.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home