Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 23, 2020 20:35

24FPS
I guess this would be the highest profile re-release that ABKCO doesn't own. (And ABKCO hasn't released any bonus cuts on BB and LIB reissues.) Although GHS is an admittedly weaker release than Exile or Some Girls. I'd be curious as to whether this is really happening. The 'bonus' EMOS and Some Girls was done when Mick had lots of time away from the road.

I doubt it was falsely quoted from Jagger by Q104.3. I just find it interesting we haven't heard anything else about it yet. Maybe it's going to be released later in the year rather than before the tour? Who knows at this point tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 23, 2020 23:09

JordyLicks96
24FPS
I guess this would be the highest profile re-release that ABKCO doesn't own. (And ABKCO hasn't released any bonus cuts on BB and LIB reissues.) Although GHS is an admittedly weaker release than Exile or Some Girls. I'd be curious as to whether this is really happening. The 'bonus' EMOS and Some Girls was done when Mick had lots of time away from the road.

I doubt it was falsely quoted from Jagger by Q104.3. I just find it interesting we haven't heard anything else about it yet. Maybe it's going to be released later in the year rather than before the tour? Who knows at this point tongue sticking out smiley
I wouldn’t say GHS is inferior to Some Girls.They are both excellent albums with different aims.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 24, 2020 01:26

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 24, 2020 02:28

24FPS

Uh... he's not exactly "busy" being on the road now - and hasn't been, overall, so plenty of time for... if, of course, he were to choose to be bothered.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 24, 2020 07:19

that pic above has to be one of the koolest photos of the stones ever

jb

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 24, 2020 09:29

Goats Head Soup is a masterpiece.
The album was recorded on a break between the 1972 tour and the 1973 tour, not exactly a downturn in the bands playing abilities.
The ignorance displayed in knocking a song like Angie to me is just unforgivable.
A beautiful collaboration between Mick and Keith that takes you back to Lady Jane,Blue turns to Grey and Wild Horses.
That guitar that almost talks - can you hear the music.. the heartfelt singing “where are all my friends, coming down again.,,wish I was out out in California.,,
Went out walking through the woods the other day..
Dancing with Death, silly fools thought the D was devil,good lord listen to the damn song.
Classic rockers like Starfckr and Silver Train.if they released this today you’d be drooling so much you’d be standing in a puddle.

Date: February 24, 2020 10:00

lem motlow
Goats Head Soup is a masterpiece.
The album was recorded on a break between the 1972 tour and the 1973 tour, not exactly a downturn in the bands playing abilities.
The ignorance displayed in knocking a song like Angie to me is just unforgivable.
A beautiful collaboration between Mick and Keith that takes you back to Lady Jane,Blue turns to Grey and Wild Horses.
That guitar that almost talks - can you hear the music.. the heartfelt singing “where are all my friends, coming down again.,,wish I was out out in California.,,
Went out walking through the woods the other day..
Dancing with Death, silly fools thought the D was devil,good lord listen to the damn song.
Classic rockers like Starfckr and Silver Train.if they released this today you’d be drooling so much you’d be standing in a puddle.

It's not a masterpiece. However, the best songs on GHS is up there with their best stuff ever. As an album it's natural to compare GHS with SF. Both have several slow and rather dreamy pieces of music that bring colour and set the vibe for their respective albums.

When comparing with SF it's evident for me that the rockers on GHS are not in the same league as the ones on SF. That goes for some of the ballads as well.

Rockers:

Brown Sugar vs. Dancing With Mr. D
Sway vs. Heartbreaker
Can't You Hear Me Knocking vs. Silver Train
Bitch vs. Star Star

Ballads:

Wild Horses vs. Coming Down Again
I Got The Blues vs. Angie
Moonlight Mile vs. Winter

Strong album, but not up there with SF, which IS a masterpiece, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 10:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: February 24, 2020 10:17

Personally I think GHS a notch down from the big four, but better than more or less anything else in the Stones catalogue. SG is also great, of course, but I prefer GHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 10:18 by walkingthedog.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 24, 2020 10:42

GHS was the initiation record for me - so for me it's a masterpiece and I have always felt it belonging to not the Big 4 but the Big 6 (including GYYYO also). It's true that Silver Train and Star*#%* can't compete with BS, but Star*#%* is fine deconstructive way of tungue in cheek wrestling with the rock-muse - Star*#%* is over the top and cool and minimalistic at the same time.

What is so fine about GHS in total is that it differs so much from EOMS. It's moody, it's a stones take on "beauty".

It's the first intire album composed in the knowlegde that Beatles is not around anymore.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 11:00

GetYerAngie

It's the first intire album composed in the knowlegde that Beatles is not around anymore.

Interesting observation. I thought it was EOMS...

Rod

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 24, 2020 11:44

If GHS was on par with the “Big 4”, we would have been discussing the “Big 5” all these years. Dandy laid it out pretty well above...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 24, 2020 12:13

GetYerAngie

What is so fine about GHS in total is that it differs so much from EOMS. It's moody, it's a stones take on "beauty".
Interesting! Imo Ghs is a very European record (classy subtile sometimes a bit too fragile) in the same sense as Eoms was an American record : energetic, loud, fast and at times lacking subtility.
The fact that Magritte was chosen for a single artwork says a lot... as well as the fact that Jagger chose "The Americans" photo[book] for Exile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 16:38 by dcba.

Date: February 24, 2020 13:03

dcba
GetYerAngie

Interesting! Imo Ghs is a very European record (classy subtile sometimes a bit too fragile) in the same sense as Eoms was an American record : energetic, loud, fast and at times lacking subtility.
The fact that Magritte was chosen for a single artwork says a lot... as well as the fact that Jagger chose "The Americans" photo for Exile.

Yes, I think you are right about the dominating european feeling in contrast to EOMS.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 24, 2020 14:54

I feel like Exile is a 50’s album recorded in the early 70’s by a band in their twenties, while Goats Head is thoroughly a 70’s album. The clav is a quintessential 70’s keyboard.

I don’t consider Dancing With Mr. D a rocker, but a druggy, swampy, blues. Star, Heartbreaker, Silver Train, and the latter part of 100 Years Ago Rock much harder than Mr. D.

Date: February 24, 2020 16:33

Comparing Stones albums is like comparing apples and oranges. They're too different to compare.

As far as rating Rolling Stones albums...?

I just enjoy Rolling Stones albums. I'm glad their different. They each have their own vibe or vibes or sometimes they're songs put together on an album.

I love Goats Head Soup. I always did.

Date: February 24, 2020 16:38

lem motlow

Thanks for the insight. Why do you think the song is about death and not about the devil?

Date: February 24, 2020 16:40

TravelinMan
the latter part of 100 Years Ago Rock much harder than Mr. D.

Yes listen to the handful of live versions available on boots : the latter part hit audiences on the head very hard. And the (liberating) coda enhanced the violence of the previous section. thumbs up

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 24, 2020 18:37

bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Some EOMS songs like "Loving Cup" date back to 1969.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:18

I'd like to hear a couple of the boot versions of 100 years ago....anywhere i can find them easily?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 19:19 by two4fun111.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:19

I’ve always considered Goats Head Soup to be the Stones’ first true 70’s record. Sticky Fingers and Exile both being partly rooted in the tail-end of the 1960’s.

Date: February 24, 2020 19:30

two4fun111
I'd like to hear a couple of the boot versions of 100 years ago....

[www.youtube.com]

Imo they gave up too easily on this on this one as it could have become a "monster track". Maybe they came to the conclusion the "taking off" part was too similar to the middle part of Rambler...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 19:37 by dcba.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:43

exilestones
lem motlow

Thanks for the insight. Why do you think the song is about death and not about the devil?

“Will it be slow, or will it be fast.”

Plus all the ways he describes to die essentially. The graveyard. The black this and that. Set me free.

Date: February 24, 2020 19:52

"The bite of a snake, the sting of a spider".

Date: February 24, 2020 19:59

floodonthepage
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 24, 2020 20:18

GetYerAngie
floodonthepage
bitusa2012
GetYerAngie

Yeah, that's what I meant.

thumbs up

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: February 25, 2020 06:08

the upcoming tour video uses ''silver train" in the music bed...would think this means the reissue should be released around the tour?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 25, 2020 08:38

There's something wrong with the mix of GHS. It's not consistent. Some of the songs need a little sonic fleshing out.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 25, 2020 09:56

24FPS
There's something wrong with the mix of GHS. It's not consistent. Some of the songs need a little sonic fleshing out.

The whole sound of GHS is kind of veiled ...the sonic equivalent of those veiled faces on the cover/.

Exile is murky...but you can somehow listen through the fog and into the mix . GHS just won't drop into focus in that same way.

But after GHS, the mixes became almost too transparent ...with no sense of mystery to tax your ears and perception.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 25, 2020 10:12

dcba
two4fun111
I'd like to hear a couple of the boot versions of 100 years ago....

[www.youtube.com]

Imo they gave up too easily on this on this one as it could have become a "monster track". Maybe they came to the conclusion the "taking off" part was too similar to the middle part of Rambler...?

Vienna, as mentioned, 1 September
[www.youtube.com]

Mannheim, Eissporthalle, 3 September
[www.youtube.com]

These are the only concerts where 100 years ago was performed.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 25, 2020 10:14

I think 24fbs has it xactly right...GHS has an overall down in the mud sound compared to just about any other Stones LPs of the decade...most of them almost jumped out of the speakers at you while GHS droned on. I specifically remember when GHS came out, thinking it sounded pretty dull overall, even though it had some great tracks and over time that "dullness" actually accentuated the atmosphere of the music.

I attribute that to the recording at Dynamic Sound studio in Jamaica; although it was widely praised as the most advanced studio on the island, that actually meant it was pretty crappy by most standards of the day. I am not sure about this, and right offhand I don't recall if every track was recorded at Byron Lee's studio, but the record does just have this overall dull sort of sound. Maybe that comes from a flat sounding final mix, but I always kind of believed it was in the original multitrack tapes. Heads probably out of alignment slightly, tape speed variation due to unregulated power supplies and the power itself, "tweaked" mixing desks and other studio anomalies often found in Jamaican recording environments all could contribute to it.

It will be interesting to see if that improves from the inevitable brickwalling that will occur during the remaster. How have the prior reissues on cd sounded? I haven't rebought the album since my original issue copy. One might assume they will just use the most recently remastered version for the non-bonus material?

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home