Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Date: February 13, 2020 13:46

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Weren't Mick's (and perhaps Pete Townshend's) vocals, some cowbell/percussion and Sonny Rollins' sax the only overdubs on TY?

God knows.

But what counts more is what Kemsey / Clearmountain did with the original tracks. It is all in the mix: save maybe Tops, all the songs sound "new".

C

Agreed, about the mix. They even got a Mesa Boogie-esque sound out of Slave smiling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 13, 2020 16:57

TornAndFried
TravelinMan
How cool would it be if they included the Nicaraguan Benefit in LA or Perth 1973 in quality hi-fi stereophonic sound!?!?!

Except neither of those shows contained a single song from GHS

We’ve already addressed that

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 13, 2020 22:56

DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

If that's the case then you think TATTOO YOU is fake ...

If you think it's fake then you know where you fit in, ha ha... with that kook who thinks something is a compilation album in the casual term of what a compilation album means, regardless of the fact that all albums are compilations, because none of the tracks are brand new band recordings.

I didn't say the song is fake because of the mix of old and new. It is not a matter of principle. I said that to my ears - on these reissues only - the blend of "old" and "new" doesn't work.

It works perfectly well on tattoo you.

But for a reason: on Tattoo edits and overdubs were done to make the old parts sound new.

On the reissues it is the other way round. It's like one of those awful "relic" guitars.

In any case, at the end of the day, its just a matter of taste.

Plundered remains a great song!

C

Weren't Mick's (and perhaps Pete Townshend's) vocals, some cowbell/percussion and Sonny Rollins' sax the only overdubs on TY?

There's an overdubbed guitar by Ronnie on "Start Me Up" but I believe that's it. I also think "No Use In Crying" was the only song on TY that was completed and didn't need any overdubbing.

Date: February 13, 2020 23:06

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

If you think it's fake then you know where you fit in, ha ha... with that kook who thinks something is a compilation album in the casual term of what a compilation album means, regardless of the fact that all albums are compilations, because none of the tracks are brand new band recordings.

I didn't say the song is fake because of the mix of old and new. It is not a matter of principle. I said that to my ears - on these reissues only - the blend of "old" and "new" doesn't work.

But for a reason: on Tattoo edits and overdubs were done to make the old parts sound new.

On the reissues it is the other way round. It's like one of those awful "relic" guitars.

C

There's an overdubbed guitar by Ronnie on "Start Me Up" but I believe that's it. I also think "No Use In Crying" was the only song on TY that was completed and didn't need any overdubbing.

That's news to me, that Ronnie went in and did an overdub in 1981. Interesting!

Do you have a quote, Jordy?

Date: February 13, 2020 23:43

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

No quote but just based on listening to the original basic track from '78 and the finished track on TY.

Here's the basic track from '78:

[www.youtube.com]

Here's the finished track with Ronnie's overdubbed guitar starting at (1:22) and again at (3:02):

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 13, 2020 23:57

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

No quote but just based on listening to the original basic track from '78 and the finished track on TY.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's the finished track with Ronnie's overdubbed guitar starting at (1:22) and again at (3:02):

[www.youtube.com]

This is not news to me, though. Thing is, Ronnie could have added the extra track in 1978 as well. There is nothing we have that says otherwise, as Ronnie and Keith have said they weren't involved in recording for the album in 80/81.

Date: February 14, 2020 01:11

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

This is not news to me, though. Thing is, Ronnie could have added the extra track in 1978 as well. There is nothing we have that says otherwise, as Ronnie and Keith have said they weren't involved in recording for the album in 80/81.

That is very true Dandelion! I'll see if I can find any info on it! smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2020 03:46

frankotero
I'm a fan of Plundered and So Young, also Jump on top of Me. Would be great if they brought Mick T and Bill in for the project. Funny how the mind wanders when we start thinking of all the possibilities.

I agree. That aside, perhaps it will kickstart the tires for a TATTOO YOU deluxe reissue next year since they're starting with the era that they drew from for TY, which would allow Mick to talk a lot of great fiction about what all was considered for TY...

Date: February 14, 2020 08:47

JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

That is very true Dandelion! I'll see if I can find any info on it! smiling smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2020 09:28

...okay we'll wait here ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2020 09:55

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2020 10:24

Isn't any multi-track recording that doesn't have all the parts recorded in one take a "fake" to some degree ?

You might say that folks are really just arguing about how long you're allowed to leave a track unfinished winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 14, 2020 11:48

Spud

You might say that folks are really just arguing about how long you're allowed to leave a track unfinished winking smiley

Good question! i'd ay 10 years, after that it's a travesty, not an overdub session.
Mick leave the ghs outtakes alone! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2020 13:55

DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

As far as is known, there only have been sessions guided by Jagger for vocals, sax and percussion. No guitar overdubs were done by Richards or Wood.

Mathijs

Date: February 14, 2020 15:07

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
JordyLicks96
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

C

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

As far as is known, there only have been sessions guided by Jagger for vocals, sax and percussion. No guitar overdubs were done by Richards or Wood.

Mathijs

Didn’t you say there were acoustic guitar overdubs on Waiting on a Friend that weren’t used?

Date: February 14, 2020 15:34

Spud
Isn't any multi-track recording that doesn't have all the parts recorded in one take a "fake" to some degree ?

No.

Date: February 14, 2020 16:03

Spud

I don't know if the Stones did any take splicing but The Beatles did, the only exception being what they did with Lennon's piano demo songs.

There are no rules. When it's done it's done. How doesn't matter.

Date: February 14, 2020 16:12

TravelinMan

Didn’t you say there were acoustic guitar overdubs on Waiting on a Friend that weren’t used?

There are no WOAF tracks with an acoustic guitar on it, that's a fairy tale. There's only three versions with the same electric guitar track. And if there's a boot with an acoustic, it's never been revealed/ released/traded yet, but still in the vaults.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-14 16:21 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 14, 2020 16:30

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

There are no circulating WOAF tracks with an acoustic guitar on it, that's a fairy tale. There's only three versions with the same electric guitar track. And if there's a boot with an acoustic, it's never been revealed/ released/traded yet, but still in the vaults.

Date: February 14, 2020 16:35

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

There are no circulating WOAF tracks with an acoustic guitar on it, that's a fairy tale. There's only three versions with the same electric guitar track. And if there's a boot with an acoustic, it's never been revealed/ released/traded yet, but still in the vaults.

What's the difference?

Date: February 14, 2020 17:10

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

What's the difference?

The main difference is that inner-circle collectors tell things about certain tracks, but they're not willing to share the stuff to prove it smoking smiley

Date: February 14, 2020 17:16

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

What's the difference?

The main difference is that inner-circle collectors tell things about certain tracks, but they're not willing to share the stuff to prove it smoking smiley

Has there ever been any kind of confirmation about that inner-circle collectors having things like what ended up being released on EXILE with a completely different version of Signfying? There may be more tracks like - completely different from the bootlegs.

Date: February 14, 2020 17:54

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

What's the difference?

Yes, I know, not even willing to trade them to inner-circle collectors (whoever they are) for good money. grinning smiley

Date: February 14, 2020 18:08

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

What's the difference?

Has there ever been any kind of confirmation about that inner-circle collectors having things like what ended up being released on EXILE with a completely different version of Signfying? There may be more tracks like - completely different from the bootlegs.

As far as WAOF is concerned: I approached several hardcore collectors about the subject and none of them ever came up with an acoustic guitar on it.

If there's a WAOF version with an acoustic on it, which I doubt, it's still in the vaults. I cannot imagine Jagger/ Richards or Chris Kimsey shared them with good friends. That's not the way it goes. Besides, I cannot imagine Taylor got payed in any way for a song he doesn't play on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-14 18:19 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 14, 2020 18:25

There’s definitely an acoustic on the basic tracks. It might be bleeding into a mic, or it might be mixed very low. The giveaway is that it’s playing a different rhythm than the electric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-14 18:25 by TravelinMan.

Date: February 14, 2020 18:32

TheflyingDutchman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

What's the difference?

As far as WAOF is concerned: I approached several hardcore collectors about the subject and none of them ever came up with an acoustic guitar on it.

If there's a WAOF version with an acoustic on it, which I doubt, it's still in the vaults. I cannot imagine Jagger/ Richards or Chris Kimsey shared them with good friends. That's not the way it goes. Besides, I cannot imagine Taylor got payed in any way for a song he doesn't play on.

He was paid for Tops.

Date: February 14, 2020 20:31

DandelionPowderman

He was paid for Tops.

What's your source, an official reference, or do you have a link please, DP?

Date: February 14, 2020 20:33

TravelinMan
There’s definitely an acoustic on the basic tracks. It might be bleeding into a mic, or it might be mixed very low. The giveaway is that it’s playing a different rhythm than the electric.

Damn, post that track.thumbs up

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 14, 2020 23:00

Maybe Taylor played bass on WOAF,since Bill seemed to be missing in action for a lot of the sessions.

Date: February 14, 2020 23:35

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He was paid for Tops.

What's your source, an official reference, or do you have a link please, DP?

Insider info. No proof or quote. Just passing what I was told.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home