Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 12, 2020 15:04

OpenG
Always thought Hide Your Love with the guitar call back to jagger;s vocals was like John Mayall with the Mick Taylor years.

Hide Your Love is one of my favorites..."come on, little man"

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 12, 2020 15:36

FrogSugar
Been slowwwwwwly perusing this thread, but don't remember seeing anything about a release date, is this for Xmas or for before the tour?

Mick talked about it in last week's tour announcement phoner with iHeartRadio's Jim Kerr. No release date was mentioned.

[iorr.org]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 12, 2020 16:17

liddas
24FPS
liddas
GasLightStreet

Plundered My Soul would be nowhere near as good as it is if the current Rolling Stones would've recorded it.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder

C

Thank God the Stones have never gone that route. I think I bought a Little Richard, and a Chuck Berry album years where they re-recorded their hits. Terrible.

I guess you missed the release of Stripped!

In any case, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Take the 1995 new Wild Horses. When the point of reference is the the Sticky Fingers version - the song that you have listened and loved for decades, the song that the radio played when you gave the first kiss or your pet died - well, you can't win!

But what if that Sticky Finger version was never released and bootlegged?

All of us here would be celebrating a late masterpiece!

Plundered is a completely different situation.

What was used is a recording that nobody had ever heard before of the band playing a basic chord progression years ago. No song, no solos, no trademark guitar riffs, no hook, no nothing.

What "makes" Plundered is the melody line, the vocals, the vocals arrangements and Taylor opening riff. All of which are new.

In this context to use an old recording "protooled" to adapt it to the new song sounds fake.

C

damn...I thought I really liked Plundered! Oh well. sad smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2020 16:32

treaclefingers
liddas
24FPS
liddas
GasLightStreet

Plundered My Soul would be nowhere near as good as it is if the current Rolling Stones would've recorded it.

C

Thank God the Stones have never gone that route. I think I bought a Little Richard, and a Chuck Berry album years where they re-recorded their hits. Terrible.

Take the 1995 new Wild Horses. When the point of reference is the the Sticky Fingers version - the song that you have listened and loved for decades, the song that the radio played when you gave the first kiss or your pet died - well, you can't win!

What was used is a recording that nobody had ever heard before of the band playing a basic chord progression years ago. No song, no solos, no trademark guitar riffs, no hook, no nothing.

What "makes" Plundered is the melody line, the vocals, the vocals arrangements and Taylor opening riff. All of which are new.

In this context to use an old recording "protooled" to adapt it to the new song sounds fake.

C

I do too!

C

Date: February 12, 2020 16:36

stickyfingers101
OpenG
Always thought Hide Your Love with the guitar call back to jagger;s vocals was like John Mayall with the Mick Taylor years.

Is that a quote from the song? Never heard that.

Date: February 12, 2020 16:38

Wouldn't it be something if out of all albums, it is GHS where the Stones finally get the reissue thing right?

Date: February 12, 2020 16:43

Palace Revolution 2000
Wouldn't it be something if out of all albums, it is GHS where the Stones finally get the reissue thing right?

Would be cool, although I'd say they were pretty much on the mark with the SF-release. That one was beautiful.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 12, 2020 16:54

How cool would it be if they included the Nicaraguan Benefit in LA or Perth 1973 in quality hi-fi stereophonic sound!?!?!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 12, 2020 16:55

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Would be cool, although I'd say they were pretty much on the mark with the SF-release. That one was beautiful.

It would be cool.. very excited for this!
Also agree about SF- this time I hope to not be listening to GHS live outside of the Fonda Theater though smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2020 17:15

TravelinMan
How cool would it be if they included the Nicaraguan Benefit in LA or Perth 1973 in quality hi-fi stereophonic sound!?!?!

A 1973 European gig would be much more logical, right?
I mean isn't there a better place to put a concert that includes HB and/or Mr. D than on a Ghs reissue? eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

Date: February 12, 2020 17:58

dcba
TravelinMan

I mean isn't there a better place to put a concert that includes HB and/or Mr. D than on a Ghs reissue? eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

I mean you’re right, but we already have Brussels.

I’m just holding onto a dream...

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 12, 2020 18:00

Palace Revolution 2000
stickyfingers101
OpenG

Is that a quote from the song? Never heard that.

Before the second solo. Though I always thought it was "come on my man"...

Posted by: z ()
Date: February 12, 2020 18:57

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
z

Coming in from all channels..? What do you mean, DP?

Without listening I’m going to guess a stereo tape delay.

Yep, there’s tape delay ALL over this track. I never really noticed the sax beginning at 2:12. Some strange things going on with the vocals as well like at 0:46.

As far as other takes, they could be bleeding from microphones on the piano track rather than dedicated tracks of their own. Taylor may have overdubbed his final guitar part, but some of his basic track is in the keeper piano part, for instance.

The guitar track is wandering from left channel to right channel, and on one of the solos from center to left during the solo! The volume varies. That tells me there are more takes, splices and/or editing.

Great solos, but a weird listening experience.

Or the engineer went nuts with the pan pots. They were in Jamaica after all smoking smiley

I hear the guitar coming mainly from the left except for these points:
At 2:35 there seem to be a slight shift to the centre when the volume drops (if the guitar was recorded live and bled through other mics, altering the channel's volume may somewhat affect it's position within the stereo image);
Around 3:25 I think I hear another guitar coming from the centre (in addition to the one on the left);
At 3:35 there is a guitar lick coming from the right (a different track again).

Did I miss anything?

Date: February 12, 2020 19:04

z
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
z

Yep, there’s tape delay ALL over this track. I never really noticed the sax beginning at 2:12. Some strange things going on with the vocals as well like at 0:46.

As far as other takes, they could be bleeding from microphones on the piano track rather than dedicated tracks of their own. Taylor may have overdubbed his final guitar part, but some of his basic track is in the keeper piano part, for instance.

The guitar track is wandering from left channel to right channel, and on one of the solos from center to left during the solo! The volume varies. That tells me there are more takes, splices and/or editing.

Or the engineer went nuts with the pan pots. They were in Jamaica after all smoking smiley

At 2:35 there seem to be a slight shift to the centre when the volume drops (if the guitar was recorded live and bled through other mics, altering the channel's volume may somewhat affect it's position within the stereo image);
Around 3:25 I think I hear another guitar coming from the centre (in addition to the one on the left);

Did I miss anything?

You're spot on.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 12, 2020 19:05

TravelinMan
dcba
TravelinMan

I mean you’re right, but we already have Brussels.

I’m just holding onto a dream...

But Newcastle was also professionally recorded, and only some songs were released in mono. This would make a great disc.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 12, 2020 23:08

TravelinMan

That would be as cool as the Stones can get on record! The "down under tour" is one of the best IMO. It will blow the roof off! That's why it wont happen. I bet they'll release some GHS songs live, snd the rest will be studio outtakes...

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 13, 2020 00:45

dcba
TravelinMan

Absolutely. eg. London is real gem. And to release Brussels again as a proper and easy to get release - that would be cool too!

Date: February 13, 2020 02:53

DandelionPowderman
z
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
z

Did I miss anything?

You're spot on.

Yeah, from what I remember. During that last section (~3:30) Taylor is playing rhythm on the left (mixed lower), which I never paid attention to until we did this critical listening exercise. Haha

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2020 03:20

liddas
24FPS
liddas
GasLightStreet

C

C

It's not fake.

If that's the case then you think TATTOO YOU is fake, as are other tracks on other albums as well as other albums, like EXILE, all the way from BEGGARS BANQUET through UNDERCOVER - they all have either recordings from previous sessions they've finished (Slave, Tops, Waiting On A Friend are great examples) or/as well as songs recorded but worked on yet again and finished (Too Tough is a perfect example). Keith has stated that they work in chunks, get the tracks, put the medlody etc on later. WHEN doesn't matter.

When a song is finished a song is finished. The technology has ZERO to do with it. Mick Taylor's approach to Plundered was his approach. When it was done, sure, maybe in 1971 it would've been different, but I'm going to speculate that his approach in 2009 wasn't much different - it's the same person just doing what they do. Ronnie still plays guitar runs in SFTD these days as he did in the 1990s as he did on LOVE YOU LIVE.

If you think it's fake then you know where you fit in, ha ha... with that kook who thinks something is a compilation album in the casual term of what a compilation album means, regardless of the fact that all albums are compilations, because none of the tracks are brand new band recordings.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 13, 2020 03:41

treaclefingers
liddas
24FPS
liddas
GasLightStreet

C

C

Never been wild about Stripped. None of it stands up to previous recordings. What 'makes' Plundered is Bill's rubbery, classic Stones' bass lines, and Charlie's rim shots. I doubt those two did 'new' work on the track.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 13, 2020 05:19

Quite odd there hasn't been any other news yet on the reissue other than from the initial interview from Q1043. The STICKY FINGERS reissue was announced alongside the Zip Code Tour. Wonder if this will coincide with the tour or if it'll be a release for later in the year.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 13, 2020 08:35

JordyLicks96
Quite odd there hasn't been any other news yet on the reissue other than from the initial interview from Q1043. The STICKY FINGERS reissue was announced alongside the Zip Code Tour. Wonder if this will coincide with the tour or if it'll be a release for later in the year.

Well, maybe they will announce something soon. It would be their very predictable modus operandi. They always have to come up with something passably novel, to play pretty early on in the show. Like when they did a couple numbers from Blue and Lonesome. They could play 'Angie', and '@#$%&' and pretend they're rarities. I don't know if they've played Angie recently, but Star and Heartbreaker have been played not long ago. I doubt they'd do anything really interesting like 'Coming Down Again,' or 'Winter'.

I think they cheated us by never doing 'Plundered,' or 'So Young' on recent tours, or ever.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:02

I'm a fan of Plundered and So Young, also Jump on top of Me. Would be great if they brought Mick T and Bill in for the project. Funny how the mind wanders when we start thinking of all the possibilities.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 13, 2020 09:08

TravelinMan

Except neither of those shows contained a single song from GHS

Date: February 13, 2020 10:07

24FPS
JordyLicks96

Well, maybe they will announce something soon. It would be their very predictable modus operandi. They always have to come up with something passably novel, to play pretty early on in the show. Like when they did a couple numbers from Blue and Lonesome. They could play 'Angie', and '@#$%&' and pretend they're rarities. I don't know if they've played Angie recently, but Star and Heartbreaker have been played not long ago. I doubt they'd do anything really interesting like 'Coming Down Again,' or 'Winter'.

I think they cheated us by never doing 'Plundered,' or 'So Young' on recent tours, or ever.

No Spare Parts was the SG reissue single. Love So Young, though.

Date: February 13, 2020 11:53

GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

If that's the case then you think TATTOO YOU is fake ...

If you think it's fake then you know where you fit in, ha ha... with that kook who thinks something is a compilation album in the casual term of what a compilation album means, regardless of the fact that all albums are compilations, because none of the tracks are brand new band recordings.

I didn't say the song is fake because of the mix of old and new. It is not a matter of principle. I said that to my ears - on these reissues only - the blend of "old" and "new" doesn't work.

It works perfectly well on tattoo you.

But for a reason: on Tattoo edits and overdubs were done to make the old parts sound new.

On the reissues it is the other way round. It's like one of those awful "relic" guitars.

In any case, at the end of the day, its just a matter of taste.

Plundered remains a great song!

C

Date: February 13, 2020 12:35

liddas
GasLightStreet

It's not fake.

If that's the case then you think TATTOO YOU is fake ...

I didn't say the song is fake because of the mix of old and new. It is not a matter of principle. I said that to my ears - on these reissues only - the blend of "old" and "new" doesn't work.

It works perfectly well on tattoo you.

But for a reason: on Tattoo edits and overdubs were done to make the old parts sound new.

On the reissues it is the other way round. It's like one of those awful "relic" guitars.

In any case, at the end of the day, its just a matter of taste.

Plundered remains a great song!

C

Weren't Mick's (and perhaps Pete Townshend's) vocals, some cowbell/percussion and Sonny Rollins' sax the only overdubs on TY?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 13, 2020 13:21

schwonek
dcba
TravelinMan

Absolutely. eg. London is real gem. And to release Brussels again as a proper and easy to get release - that would be cool too!

I'd love to get Brussels on CD. Bundling it with Marquee '71 on a Japan-only release made no sense at all.

Date: February 13, 2020 13:24

DandelionPowderman

Weren't Mick's (and perhaps Pete Townshend's) vocals, some cowbell/percussion and Sonny Rollins' sax the only overdubs on TY?

God knows.

But what counts more is what Kemsey / Clearmountain did with the original tracks. It is all in the mix: save maybe Tops, all the songs sound "new".

C

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 13, 2020 13:32

The important thing with Stones reissues is to keep your expectations low.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home