Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2020 16:39

glimmertwin1

Honestly i can't stand this compression any more.

if you rip the CD to Flac files and play them with VLc you can kind of undo the damage : open the EQ tool of Vlc and decrease the premap level by 10 15 20 dB's. The music will be quieter.
I've done it wit AC/DC's "Black Ice" and it really makes the music less abrasive.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 8, 2020 17:43

glimmertwin1
What to expect ? Shitty sound:

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Perhapse they will reach DR 4 this time with the bonus disc being even louder.

I'm with you on that one .

Not all re-masters have been too bad though.

The Abbey Road boxed set and the BB are very good on vinyl.

[...and, as an aside, the new Main Offender re-release is better than I expected in this respect.]

[The first Abbey Road Exile was too loud though.
I suspect that a better flat digital transfer was used by Miles Showell for the one in the later boxed set...and he showed pretty good taste in his efforts with all of them ]

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: February 8, 2020 17:46

A cd of live performances including the rare songs (100 Years Ago/Silver Train) essential for this release please!

Date: February 8, 2020 17:51

TSMR, BB, LIB remasters all sound excellent.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 8, 2020 18:18

I look forward to the deluxe, which I exspect to be like Exile and Some Girls (so I really for som good video extras too). And i could dream of a box for hard core fans like us containing not only the Brussels Affair, but the London shows and other - like Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue-box set (14 cds). And a book with lots of the great photos from that tour of Europe.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 8, 2020 18:21

I didn't spring for the TSMR or LIB re-issues.

They were a bit too rich for my pocket.

Why can't there always be the option of just the remastered LP, with no fancy extras or packaging...and for sensible money.

I'm sure the increased sales would offset the presumably huge margins on the fancy packages.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 8, 2020 19:30

Spud
I didn't spring for the TSMR or LIB re-issues.

They were a bit too rich for my pocket.

Why can't there always be the option of just the remastered LP, with no fancy extras or packaging...and for sensible money.

I'm sure the increased sales would offset the presumably huge margins on the fancy packages.

I'm pretty sure LIB has just the remastered vinyl album.

Date: February 8, 2020 19:52

Yep, LIB is sold as a single album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 8, 2020 23:27

YEP LIB is sold as single album....
But its cool ta have the Deluxe just layin
on ya kitchen table near the jam jar when ya friends drop by ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 8, 2020 23:40

Supposed to be one of Mick's favorite albums so maybe he'll make sure extra care goes into this.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 8, 2020 23:49

Mick Jagger soon after the release of GHS:

“I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it... I guess it comes across that I’m more into songs. It wasn’t as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn’t like some of the things. There’s more thought to this one. It was recorded all over the place over about two or three months. The tracks are much more varied than the last one. I didn’t want it to be just a bunch of rock songs.”

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 9, 2020 14:57

Date: February 9, 2020 15:13

JordyLicks96
Mick Jagger soon after the release of GHS:

“I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it... It wasn’t as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn’t like some of the things. There’s more thought to this one. The tracks are much more varied than the last one. I didn’t want it to be just a bunch of rock songs.”

Wow that's as close as a total destruction of EOMS as you can get! eye popping smiley
Basically Mick stomps on Keef's baby. I guess the axeman didn't start WW III simply because he was heavily "sedated" (with junk) at the time.

Otherwise... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 9, 2020 16:38

I have a feeling they will put the Brussels concert in this set. If so, hope there's some video.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 9, 2020 17:19

I'm hoping that the other 73 recorded shows are released or at least the other Brussels show than what was already released

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 9, 2020 17:33

There must be some fottage from '73. The band had big plans for filming the Japan shows. We already have seen evidence that several shows was partly filmed.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 9, 2020 17:39

There's so much they can do here. Fingers are crossed they put out something we can really love!

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: February 9, 2020 17:44

Deep down under stuff or fórum show would be great smileys with beer

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 9, 2020 18:41

glimmertwin1

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Unless the GHS reissue comes with an extra disc of (reasonable) outtakes I fear it won't get any better than the 1994 Virgin release. Soundwise and also regarding the reproduction of the cover art.

Date: February 9, 2020 19:18

DrPete
I'm hoping that the other 73 recorded shows are released or at least the other Brussels show than what was already released

Or maybe a UK show? Some of them were profesionally taped. C'mon Micky luv give a tip of the hat to Newcastle! >grinning smiley< (ideally the 2nd show which remains totally unreleased...).

The ideal format for this reissue would be :
- cd1 Ghs album with a bunch of outtakes to fill the disc to the brim.
- cd2 a complete live show from 73.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 19:23 by dcba.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 9, 2020 20:09

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 9, 2020 20:37

doitywoik
glimmertwin1

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Unless the GHS reissue comes with an extra disc of (reasonable) outtakes I fear it won't get any better than the 1994 Virgin release. Soundwise and also regarding the reproduction of the cover art.
Some would say that 2013 Japanese flat transfer sounds even better - UICY-40021. It is SHM, comes with OBI and extra art, you know winking smiley.

Date: February 9, 2020 20:54

doitywoik
glimmertwin1

[dr.loudness-war.info]

This is coming from The Stones, hence there will be extra disc(s).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 21:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: February 9, 2020 22:36

mtaylor
Bring Mick Taylor on.

I second that! I love that he was brought in for the EOMS reissue for Plundered My Soul. He made that track truly shine!

thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 10, 2020 01:36

>It wasn’t as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn’t
>like some of the things. There’s more thought to this one. The tracks are much
>more varied than the last one. I didn’t want it to be just a bunch of rock
>songs.”

exactly the kind of quote I expect out of Sir Mick, Like a bunch of rock songs would be bad...instead lets give em Emotional Rescue and Indian Girl (later, I know). Although I like GHS, it pales to albums full of a bunch of rock songs, and its clear who the instigator is. Some times I really wonder about that guys taste in music. Like McCartney needed Lennon to hold back the maudlin vaudevillian tendencies, Jagger needs Richards to rein in his worst instincts.

jb

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 10, 2020 06:49

jbwelda
Like McCartney needed Lennon to hold back the maudlin vaudevillian tendencies, Jagger needs Richards to rein in his worst instincts.

LOL!

I never fully warmed to GHS. I'd say it's an OK album but not a great one. (Today of course we would be happy if they came up with an album of similar quality...) But the outtakes I heard sound very interesting so I'm hoping there will be a bunch of good ones.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 10, 2020 07:46

doitywoik
jbwelda
Like McCartney needed Lennon to hold back the maudlin vaudevillian tendencies, Jagger needs Richards to rein in his worst instincts.

LOL!

I never fully warmed to GHS. I'd say it's an OK album but not a great one. (Today of course we would be happy if they came up with an album of similar quality...) But the outtakes I heard sound very interesting so I'm hoping there will be a bunch of good ones.

I totally agree.

Date: February 10, 2020 07:52

The outtakes are great for GHS. GHS is a fine album. It's flawed but so what? When compared to the previous four albums, that's stiff competition. The only thing better than GHS that succeeded it was Some Girls.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 10, 2020 08:16

GHS is nowhere near being 'one of their three greatest albums'. That's why everyone was let down. GHS followed four of their greatest studio albums, and their greatest live album. It's got a real uneven mix. (Don't know if they can fix that). There are a few great songs, but a few clunkers too, or ones that simply don't rise to the Golden Age Stones level.

I would love to hear bonus tracks, along the lines of the EOMS and SG projects. Just hearing the real Stones rhythm section is a treat for me. Which is why I love Plundered My Soul, and So Young. (Though I understand that was issued earlier?) The studio Stones ended over three decades now. Steel Wheels was their swan song. All that's left is to see what's still in the vault.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 10, 2020 12:36

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Again, put it down to speculation only unless mpj200 or Soldatti confirm.

The list was: All the Rage, Save Me, Scarlet, Fragile, Tropical Disease, Separate Ways.

If this is credible, there are either more outtakes or some alternate versions because there will be at least ten tracks on the Rarities disc.

I would imagine THE BRUSSELS AFFAIR with its otherwise difficult to market cover art will be one of two additional discs in the deluxe version.

This gives me hope for a TATTOO YOU deluxe reissue.

This is strictly based on what I've found - some of it could be/probably is wrong but whatever:

Aside from what was released in 1981 of what Kimsey dug up for TY, that potentially leaves, loosely,

14 tracks from 1972

6 tracks from 1975

35 tracks from 1977

and

10 tracks from 1979

That excludes tracks recorded for GHS but released on IORR as well as a B-side and one track on a Japanese sountrack; recorded for BAB but released on TY; recorded for SG but released on ER and TY and, of course, recorded for ER but released on TY as well as a B-side in 1983.

With so many extras laying around over a seven year period, it would make more sense to do a box that brings the best of them together which isn't tied to any particular album. Something closer to Dylan's Bootleg Series 1-3 or Springsteen's Tracks would be ideal.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home