Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 7, 2020 22:50

Rocky Dijon
Don Was said of "Scarlet" when they were working on EXILE DELUXE, "It was a hit then, it's a hit now" leading people to believe it would be on the album. Maybe it was, maybe it will be on GOATS HEAD SOUP. We'll see this year with any luck.

What do you think he meant by it was a hit then it's a hit now when the it wasn't ever released? Some odd wording.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:00

buttons67
the way jagger worded it it seems the new album and the goats head soup re issue are 2 separate projects.

hopefully thats the case but if we do get a new album i cant see the GHS re issue being anything more than what is already there. hope im wrong.

be great to get a new album, a GHS re issue along the lines of exile or some girls re issue using outtakes and also a tour, and maybe another concert vaults thrown in.

There's no reason to reissue GHS (yet alone anything else) otherwise since UMe already had it out whenever that was, 11 years ago this May, without anything extra. The labels know to put some extras out. Of course, reissuing GHS is a moot point; hopefully there will be a stand alone album of the extra tracks like they did for EOMS, because the SOME GIRLS reissue was ridiculous.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:10

Why are you folks so down on the bonus tracks from Some Girls and EOMS? I think they are great and I know if they were issued on bootleg, people would be going absolutely nuts over them, especially in the quality they are on the official releases.

What specifically was wrong with the Some Girls set? were not the bonus tracks on a separate disk?

jb

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:17

It seems likely the GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue will be released before or during the tour dates like they did for STICKY FINGERS. They always have some sort of release to coincide with a tour in North America:

GRRR! - 50 & Counting Tour [2012]
STICKY FINGERS REISSUE - Zip Code Tour [2015]
HONK - No Filter Tour (North American Leg) [2019]
GOATS HEAD SOUP REISSUE - No Filter Tour (North American Leg) [2020]

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:29

JordyLicks96
It seems likely the GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue will be released before or during the tour dates like they did for STICKY FINGERS. They always have some sort of release to coincide with a tour in North America:

and I think Bridges to Bremen came out on opening day of US No Filter last summer (6/21)?

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:40

floodonthepage
JordyLicks96

and I think Bridges to Bremen came out on opening day of US No Filter last summer (6/21)?

I don't think they use the video releases as marketing products for the tours. Now they basically use compilations and album reissues to market the North American tours. HONK was released in April, which was supposed to be when the tour started before being delayed till June. So if the tour starts on May 8, the reissue will probably come out in early to mid May.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 23:59 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 8, 2020 00:36

It's always ranked near the top for me. Even with the muddy sound...the vibe, the atmosphere...I don't know, best way I can describe it.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 8, 2020 00:54

It's one of their best IMO. Totally underrated. Among their 3 best albums, with Sticky Fingers on top...

Date: February 8, 2020 01:04

jbwelda
Why are you folks so down on the bonus tracks from Some Girls and EOMS? I think they are great and I know if they were issued on bootleg, people would be going absolutely nuts over them, especially in the quality they are on the official releases.

What specifically was wrong with the Some Girls set? were not the bonus tracks on a separate disk?

jb

I liked the EOMS extra disc even though it was too short. The SG extra disc was full of mostly bland ridiculous blues songs - plus you had to buy the entire package with the destroyed SOME GIRLS albums included.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 8, 2020 01:08

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

jb

I liked the EOMS extra disc even though it was too short. The SG extra disc was full of mostly bland ridiculous blues songs - plus you had to buy the entire package with the destroyed SOME GIRLS albums included.

True Skippy..if you're gonna rape us at least include a blu-ray of a full 73 show for us!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 8, 2020 01:15

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Don Was said of "Scarlet" when they were working on EXILE DELUXE, "It was a hit then, it's a hit now" leading people to believe it would be on the album. Maybe it was, maybe it will be on GOATS HEAD SOUP. We'll see this year with any luck.

What do you think he meant by it was a hit then it's a hit now when the it wasn't ever released? Some odd wording.

I can't find the whole quote. If I recall correctly, he was saying how good "Scarlet" was and that it would have been a hit in the 1970s and would be now. Typical Don Was hyperbole. That's what keeps him employed, well that and his track record and continued standing in the industry as a producer and executive.

That's why people were expecting "Scarlet" on EXILE DELUXE and, if the "Following the River" rumor was correct, we already heard it. Of course it would be easier to believe it was "Plundered My Soul" I suppose. Anyway, we'll see if it and the other 5 tracks are on GOATS HEAD SOUP or not, particularly the titles which are sorta "new" to us.

Date: February 8, 2020 02:35

>The SG extra disc was full of mostly bland ridiculous blues songs

There is the difference: I happen to like most of those "bland ridiculous blues songs", but don't really see what is ridiculous about them.

>plus you had to buy the entire package with the destroyed SOME GIRLS albums
>included.

Not sure I get you here...I believe the some girls regular release came with the extra disk, didn't it? Two disks for basically the price of one?

And the "destroyed" some girls album? Again you got me...what is destroyed about it?

My only problem with any of this is I already have multi copies of the original on vinyl, again on cd, and didn't really need more. But...bonus tracks...I am in.

anyway, on with the show!

jb

Date: February 8, 2020 03:00

jbwelda

There is the difference: I happen to like most of those "bland ridiculous blues songs", but don't really see what is ridiculous about them.

>included.

Not sure I get you here...I believe the some girls regular release came with the extra disk, didn't it? Two disks for basically the price of one?

And the "destroyed" some girls album? Again you got me...what is destroyed about it?

My only problem with any of this is I already have multi copies of the original on vinyl, again on cd, and didn't really need more. But...bonus tracks...I am in.

jb

Disc one is SOME GIRLS and it's the UMe remaster, which means it's destroyed, brickwalled - unlistenable.

Disc 2 is a bunch of tepid blues, the cheeky Don't Be A Stranger, Claudine is a bore, So Young was already a B-side... they left off much better tunes.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 8, 2020 03:07

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

>included.

jb

Disc one is SOME GIRLS and it's the UMe remaster, which means it's destroyed, brickwalled - unlistenable.

Disc 2 is a bunch of tepid blues, the cheeky Don't Be A Stranger, Claudine is a bore, So Young was already a B-side... they left off much better tunes.

Well I loved the whole second disc, so, if you're saying there's much better than that still unreleased, bring it on!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 8, 2020 03:22

jbwelda
Why are you folks so down on the bonus tracks from Some Girls and EOMS? ...

I've read thru most the thread and I didn't get the vibe anyone was down on those deluxe releases.

My comment about not having faith they will do this right ... was based on the latest, such as Let It Bleed or Satanic, which had nothing extra. I love SG and EOMS deluxe, and just "like" the Sticky deluxe.

Date: February 8, 2020 03:40

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

I can't find the whole quote. If I recall correctly, he was saying how good "Scarlet" was and that it would have been a hit in the 1970s and would be now. Typical Don Was hyperbole. That's what keeps him employed, well that and his track record and continued standing in the industry as a producer and executive.

That's why people were expecting "Scarlet" on EXILE DELUXE and, if the "Following the River" rumor was correct, we already heard it. Of course it would be easier to believe it was "Plundered My Soul" I suppose. Anyway, we'll see if it and the other 5 tracks are on GOATS HEAD SOUP or not, particularly the titles which are sorta "new" to us.

How the hell does Was know? He helped them finish Following The River.

If they'd've finished Following The River in 1971, or in 1972 in Los Angeles, with Jimmy Miller it would've sucked because it sucks. Not everything they did with Jimmy Miller was great. There's that Paint It Black wannabe song, whatever it's called, So Divine - that sucks. I get some things are left alone at the time because they don't like them or they're not good enough or whatever but thinking EVERYTHING they did is great is a load.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 8, 2020 04:08

About the "Scarlet" song, Jimmy said :

I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called "Scarlet." I can't remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album" -- Jimmy Page (1975)

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 8, 2020 04:34

Great album. Absolutely fantastic. Start to finish. I hope they include some of the original TY tracks from that time. Like the original WOAF!! That would be so cool. Can't wait. How soon are we getting this thing?? I'd say pre tour.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 8, 2020 05:39

rollmops
About the "Scarlet" song, Jimmy said :

I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called "Scarlet." I can't remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album" -- Jimmy Page (1975)

Rockandroll,
Mops

This song has to come out....>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-08 05:40 by Maindefender.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 8, 2020 06:54

Prepare to be disappointed. Standard procedure

Date: February 8, 2020 08:16

I guess it all depends where you set your expectations. For years, decades really, all we have gotten are worse sounding "remasters" with nothing extra. Now the extras are flowing, or at least trickling, out, and I kind of like it. I got no expectations to pass this way again.

jb

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 8, 2020 08:27

jbwelda
I guess it all depends where you set your expectations. For years, decades really, all we have gotten are worse sounding "remasters" with nothing extra. Now the extras are flowing, or at least trickling, out, and I kind of like it. I got no expectations to pass this way again.

Compared to other bands such as The Beatles and Bob Dylan, the Stones reissues are pretty weak.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-08 19:01 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 8, 2020 10:00

jbwelda

jb

thumbs up

The SG bonus disc for me stands on its own feet as a very good album.

I love it.

What's wrong with it, for some of those "in the know", is that it maybe doesn't have the tracks they thought should be on it, or it had tracks that they though weren't appropriate because they weren't strictly speaking from the SG sessions.

None of that matters to me . It's probably one of my favourite albums...and for me , for an album that you can't buy on vinyl.... that's saying a lot !

Whatever finds it's way onto bonus releases, you'll never please everybody with the content.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 8, 2020 11:00

GasLightStreet
Claudine is a bore

Huh? The sole problem about its inclusion is v1 (the slow long one with an incredibly dark vibe) should have been included too! It's the same song with two entirely different arrangements = another proof of the band's huge talent.

I think we'll get both versions of "Claudine" around 2045-2050 when the expanded 5-cd SG pack is released! grinning smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 8, 2020 11:24

Hairball

Very cool!!! thumbs up If I were living in an English-speaking country I'd almost feel tempted to prepare a few cans, place them in a supermarket shelve and see what happens ...

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: February 8, 2020 12:02

Maybe Kooyong Tennis Center on film? Wasn't there a short clip in Crossfire Hurricane..?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 8, 2020 13:32

jbwelda

jb

Keep bringing the Studio remasters, they are all we have. I also don’t understand all the complaints but who cares really

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 8, 2020 13:40

I’ve got a feeling that the instrumental that sounds like it has elements from Till the Next Goodbye thatis on the Nicky Tapes might be on this new Goat Heads soup release .Maybe with new vocals by Mick.Also the greatSeparately track ,although Taylor already released it with vocals.Personally I’d be happy with soundboard releases of 100 Years Agoand Silver Train from Vienna 1973 and other live tracks from the 1973 tour.Of course , if there are unheard tracks like Scarlet and outtakes of songs like Heartbreaker Can You Hear The Musicand Star Starthat would be great too.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 8, 2020 15:03

ironbelly
One should keep in mind that Brussels Affair 1973 (2CD) was re-issued two times in vanishing quantities as a part of the box and as Japanese Ward Records bonus to Marquee 1971. This one is the easiest choice because they do not need to do extra work. Everything is ready. No need to mess with outtakes. As far as I remember original GHS suppose to come as half studio / half live album. So they can present it this way.

I support that. Brussels is certainly one of the greatest live recordings ever, and as much as I love it I do not want to spend such a lot of money on the Japanese Edition - this is beyond my limits. If it were a GHS Bonus at a reasonable price I would certainly buy it.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: February 8, 2020 15:31

What to expect ? Shitty sound:

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Perhapse they will reach DR 4 this time with the bonus disc being even louder.

Honestly i can't stand this compression any more.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home