Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 157
Re: Bands Might Be RUSTY When Tours Resume
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 1, 2021 12:23

Probably, but that is a minor concern of mine. Showbusiness goes on anyway. In other forms. In half a year or so things will gradually get back to normal.
At least for most of us. Some things will have changed for ever though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-01 13:20 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 1, 2021 13:18

Stoneage
Probably, but that is a minor concern of mine. Showbusiness goes on anyway. In other forms. In half a year or so things will gradually get back no normal.

I agree. I do feel that there's going to have to be an element of 'living with the risk' to some degree. I'll be getting the vaccine next month, hopefully. Having had it, I'm fairly confident I'll have the courage to attend gatherings. Now, to persuade all those who won't vaccinate. It's going to be a tough sell to some, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-01 13:18 by Big Al.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 1, 2021 14:12

Stoneage
Probably, but that is a minor concern of mine. Showbusiness goes on anyway. In other forms. In half a year or so things will gradually get back to normal.

There probably won't be much getting back to normal for a very long time. This pandemic has knocked over the global economic apple cart and jumped all over the apples. Every one of us will be paying for this for decades to come.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 1, 2021 14:45

podiumboy
I really believe the concert/touring industry as we knew it to be is over. I believe we have already seen our last Rolling Stones gig, and probably the last large concerts period. Not even being a pessimist when I say this, I actually WANT to be wrong. But I feel like the evidence is not pointing to a return to normalcy, as far as large gatherings of people go.

Yours is probably not the most fashionable view, but it happens to be one that I largely share. I too believe that we might just have already seen our last Rolling Stones gig, and I agree with you that the evidence of the moment points to a return to normality (as we once knew it) still being a long way off. Perhaps too far off for this great band to ever again hit a stage somewhere on earth ? Having said that, I too am sincerely hoping I am wrong, but I need reasons to be a little more optimistic than I am currently. Those reasons mostly elude me at the moment ...

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Re: When Tours Resume
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 1, 2021 15:33

I too believe I may have seen my last Stones show, but would love to be wrong. All we can do is whatever we can to stay safe and, in doing so, keep others safe. We don't know what's around the corner in terms of variants, etc., and are very much in the scientists' hands (and, I'm afraid, the politicians) and vaccination programmes are underway, so there is positive movement. One thing's for sure - the Stones won't be the first big name band to get back out there on tour. Like I say, I do hope I'm wrong, but there are more important things in life just now than even a Stones show.

Loving the conjecture, though. It's the sort of conversation I'd be having in the pub if the pubs were open!

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: February 1, 2021 15:46

New Zealand is having concerts put on already.

see below:

[liveforlivemusic.com]

[www.castanet.net]

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: February 1, 2021 16:41

harleybla

see below:

[liveforlivemusic.com]

[www.castanet.net]

Right, but we can't possibly duplicate their level of success, especially at this point. Also, eventually they will have to open their borders... they can't just hide down there forever. When they do, it'll be covid season for them!!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 1, 2021 16:58

I’m sick of hearing people say things will never return to how they were before covid came along.Covid is more than likely here to stay but the magic of science gives us the tools to keep it at bay and it will not be a problem like it is now.
When vaccines are available for everyone then people will return to sports events,concerts etc and the pandemic will be history.
Doom and gloom merchants should think very carefully about the damage they are doing to kids mental health in spreading negative nonsense and making ridiculous predictions that life as we knew it before is over.

Nate

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 1, 2021 17:15

Nate
I’m sick of hearing people say things will never return to how they were before covid came along.Covid is more than likely here to stay but the magic of science gives us the tools to keep it at bay and it will not be a problem like it is now.
When vaccines are available for everyone then people will return to sports events,concerts etc and the pandemic will be history.
Doom and gloom merchants should think very carefully about the damage they are doing to kids mental health in spreading negative nonsense and making ridiculous predictions that life as we knew it before is over.

Nate

Sorry, not trying to be a "doom and gloom merchant", just voicing an honest opinion amongst other adults - i.e., not kids - about the chances of seeing the Stones tour again, given the possible timescales. I have every respect for science (and have a science degree), but magic it ain't.

Date: February 1, 2021 18:12

Nate

Nate

First of all, I would never say these things to a child. I have 2 young kids myself, so I get it. But I am talking to grown adults here, and I feel sugar coating things is pointless.

Just because you want things to go back to normal does not mean it will. I want that too. But the writing is on the wall. We are a VERY long way from allowing 50,000 people into a football stadium. By the time the science deems it SAFE, the concert/events industry, as we know it, is likely to crumble. Take a moment to really assess the situation as it is, not as you hope it will be. I don’t think it makes me a crazy conspiracy theorist to believe these things.

Every February I go to a work related conference/convention. It attracts 300,000 visitors annually. Of course it was cancelled this year. But look beyond what we can see in front of our faces. How many years do you think it will really take before 300,000 people can converge on one spot over the course of a week? At some point, it won’t even make sense to continue to kick the can down the road and keep rescheduling things that aren’t going to happen. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I probably will never attend that event again, especially when it’s something that can really just be replaced online.

I’d love to be wrong, but I really think time will prove me right. The new normal is already here, and no vaccine is going to change that.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 1, 2021 18:27

harleybla

see below:

[liveforlivemusic.com]

[www.castanet.net]

Yes, but people from New Zealand took their medicine early and a large swath of their population isn't flat out stupid. In America this in how we do things to beat Covid. Just be aware, it only takes one of the idiots noted below who get on a plane to New Zealand to start the spread.

Anti-vaccine protest briefly shuts down Dodger Stadium vaccination site
[news.yahoo.com]

Date: February 1, 2021 20:24

daspyknows
harleybla

see below:

[liveforlivemusic.com]

[www.castanet.net]

Yes, but people from New Zealand took their medicine early and a large swath of their population isn't flat out stupid. In America this in how we do things to beat Covid. Just be aware, it only takes one of the idiots noted below who get on a plane to New Zealand to start the spread.

Anti-vaccine protest briefly shuts down Dodger Stadium vaccination site
[news.yahoo.com][/quote

Apps have already been developed to show digital proof of vaccination this along with the vaccines themselves are the key to opening borders to allow people to travel again.Some airlines have already announced no vaccine no boarding and many countries will implement the same system so anti vaxxers will be extremely restricted in where they can go.

Nate

Re: If/When Tours Resume
Posted by: pjb ()
Date: February 1, 2021 20:58

Yes but everyone who gets off a plane goes into two weeks isolation at quarantine hotels .We are getting infected people comming over but they are tested three times over the fortnight then if clear are let out to the general public .100,0000 plus people have entered last six months .New Zealand

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: February 1, 2021 21:03

RE concert report 76 cases through out nz they are all in the quarantine systen .No cases in the community lousy reporting

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 2, 2021 00:31

Nate

Nate

Agreed. Older people often turn into pessimists. Young people need to hear from optimists.
It is possible that bands of 70-year-old men might no longer be able to tour the world, appearing before 10s of thousands of fans, many of them traveling from far distances, all creating a massive energy footprint and possibly spreading all kinds of bugs.

But live music will carry on. Probably smaller, probably more local. Probably more attuned to the fans.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2021 00:35

Keef will move Shepard's Pie ta Vegetarian Pie .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 2, 2021 05:01

Aquamarine
1. The reason you should care if you've had a vaccine and the people around you haven't, is that you could still transmit the virus to them even if you don't have it yourself.

I don't mean to sound callous but assuming these folks had the opportunity to be vaccinated and declined, is it really our responsibility to protect them from their own stupidity?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2021 05:23

Nate
I’m sick of hearing people say things will never return to how they were before covid came along.

Since that's what got us to COVID you should be glad they're saying that.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 2, 2021 07:20

kovach
Aquamarine
1. The reason you should care if you've had a vaccine and the people around you haven't, is that you could still transmit the virus to them even if you don't have it yourself.

I don't mean to sound callous but assuming these folks had the opportunity to be vaccinated and declined, is it really our responsibility to protect them from their own stupidity?

No but the more virus that is out in the wild the more it will mutate potentially making vaccines less effective.

Date: February 2, 2021 07:39

daspyknows
kovach
Aquamarine

No but the more virus that is out in the wild the more it will mutate potentially making vaccines less effective.

I’d bet everything I own on there being a variant that is invincible to the vaccine. And then we’ll be back at zero.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 2, 2021 07:52

kovach
Aquamarine

See, I'm not making that assumption. Very few people have had that opportunity yet.

But even if they have, I'm still not interested in either killing them or overburdening hospitals which have struggled enough.

Date: February 2, 2021 12:28

kovach
Aquamarine

The vast majority of people will have zero interest in living under restrictions in order to protect idiots who didn’t want to help themselves.
Here in the U.K. at the moment the virus is killing many people every day and I personally know two people who died from it in the last two weeks.I follow all the rules I don’t have people around to my house to visit I don’t visit other people’s houses the only place I go to visit is the supermarket but once everyone who wants a vaccine has had one there isn’t a hope in hell that I will be following those rules if still in place.
Idiots who deny the existence of the virus or other equally stupid conspiracy theories should be left to take their chances.

Nate

Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter USA/CA Tour 2020 - postponed
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 2, 2021 12:53

In the context of the Stones resuming touring as they did before - No. The problem will be with countries that have failed to control the virus or can't afford the vax. While the poorer countries aren't always part of the touring schedule, once you reopen international travel and trade, then you open up the possibility of reinfection. So is there a solution?

One avenue would be to only tour countries where there's a high percentage of vaccinated people AND the country does not permit travel to/from hot zones.

The other issue is the band themselves and whether it will be possible to obtain medical clearance and insurance given their ages. How much risk are they prepared to take (and afford)?

As British citizens, the Stones could conceivably do a UK-only tour in 2022.

I don't see a return to "normal" international travel for a few years.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 2, 2021 14:38

Father Ted
In the context of the Stones resuming touring as they did before - No. The problem will be with countries that have failed to control the virus or can't afford the vax. While the poorer countries aren't always part of the touring schedule, once you reopen international travel and trade, then you open up the possibility of reinfection. So is there a solution?

One avenue would be to only tour countries where there's a high percentage of vaccinated people AND the country does not permit travel to/from hot zones.

The other issue is the band themselves and whether it will be possible to obtain medical clearance and insurance given their ages. How much risk are they prepared to take (and afford)?

As British citizens, the Stones could conceivably do a UK-only tour in 2022.

I don't see a return to "normal" international travel for a few years.

Insurance issues aside, the only country the band has a tour on the books for right now is the US (and one Vancouver gig).

Given that...tickets already sold, not a large influx of international travelers needed to fill the stadiums, it seems the most viable option for the band returning to touring is to complete the US tour they have on the books. If they are unable to get this off the ground in late summer/fall '21, then it makes sense that a 60th scaled down UK tour, or handful of anniversary concert(s) would be likely instead.

Vaccinations are moving fairly quickly now here, and for the first time yesterday, vaccinations outnumbered positive cases reported. A light at the end of the tunnel no doubt, with a lot more to do, but my money (literally and figuratively) is on No Filter NA '21, still happening most likely in the fall.

U.S. Hits Pandemic Milestone With More Vaccinated Than Cases
More Americans have received at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine than have tested positive for the virus, an early but hopeful milestone in the race to end the pandemic.
As of Monday afternoon, 26.5 million Americans had received one or both doses of the current vaccines, according to data compiled by the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker. Since the first U.S. patient tested positive outside of Seattle a year ago, 26.3 million people in the country have tested positive for the disease, and 443,000 have died, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
The U.S. has been administering shots at a faster daily rate than any country in the world, giving about 1.34 million doses a day, according to data gathered by Bloomberg. While the rollout stumbled in its early days, in the six weeks since the first shots went into arms almost 7.8% of Americans have gotten one or more doses, and 1.8% are fully vaccinated.
“It’s worth noting that today, for the first time, the data said that more people were vaccinated than were reported as newly diagnosed cases,” said Paula Cannon, a professor of microbiology at the University of Southern California’s Keck School of Medicine. “That’s worth celebrating. I’m all for that win.”
[www.bloomberg.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2021 20:16

podiumboy
daspyknows
kovach
Aquamarine

I’d bet everything I own on there being a variant that is invincible to the vaccine. And then we’ll be back at zero.

Dread the thought of "back to zero" and don't think it will get that bad, but there are already new mutations that have the ability to reinfect those who have had covid and have antibodies which could be deemed obsolete in the face of the new variants. And we haven't even seen the full magnitude or tidal wave of these new cases that are being talked about by various experts - the worst is still yet to come they say. And the vaccine itself...glad it's here, but the stumbling blocks, delays, deniers, overall effectiveness, booster shots, etc., etc., etc....it's quite the quagmire at the moment with many more unanswered questions and mysteries to be solved.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 2, 2021 21:15

kovach
Aquamarine

that depends whether you believe health care is a right (or not).

to the post: bands will be fine....rehearsals are there for a reason.

Date: February 2, 2021 23:37

stickyfingers101

I'm not opening that Pandora's Box!

Date: February 2, 2021 23:53

Aquamarine
kovach
Aquamarine

See, I'm not making that assumption. Very few people have had that opportunity yet.

But even if they have, I'm still not interested in either killing them or overburdening hospitals which have struggled enough.

OK, I thought we were talking down the road when realistically everyone has had the opportunity.

For the record I have no interest in killing anyone either. And I'm all for taking care of those in society that by no fault of their own are unable to care for themselves. I'm not as tolerant of able-bodied people who can take care of themselves but won't.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 3, 2021 00:58

kovach
stickyfingers101

I'm not opening that Pandora's Box!

hahahahaha!

me neither!

however, I will say that "paying for people's stupidity" is a lot more common than it needs to be...

I mean...I assume part of my ticket-cost pays for the medical tent at the concert....that's usually filled w/ examples of "made stupid decisions" by the end of the night...winking smiley

oh well.

More thoughts on the post: hopefully when this is over the Stones will rehearse more (re: if they are rusty)....

More Rehearsals = more lurking around the rehearsal studio exit looking to score picks from Keith!

hot smiley

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: February 3, 2021 07:06

After MONTHS of waiting, StubHub just emailed me that my refund for the canceled San Diego show has processed! Will take 3-5 days to show on my credit card. As it was a pricey pit ticket, I am relieved to get my money back.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 157

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1288
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home