Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 157
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter USA/CA Tour 2020
Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 16, 2020 03:00

Kenny Chesney has rescheduled his stadium tour in 2021. He is 52 years old by the way.
“On Monday, tour organizers announced the rescheduled stadium dates for Chesney’s tour, which was postponed and ultimately pushed into 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
“As for Minnesota, the tour is scheduled to stop at U.S. Bank Stadium on Saturday, June 5.

[news.google.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2020 05:57

jbwelda
Having their touring days ended for them would probably be a blessing. No decision to be made, no need for internal arguments, its over and that's that, and out of our control. Perfect scenario for exiting stage left into the history books with perhaps a future possibility of a "we decided to do one more tour" or at least some specialty shows maybe telecast over the world, or perhaps a more extensive look at the vault and what it contains that could be made profitable.

And the reality is, immunity to viri comes from incidental contact such as on surfaces etc versus direct contagion people to people. People are freaking out right now but my bet is that by the end of the year most will be over this either from already having and surviving it, the overall level of immunity to the virus having risen sufficiently, and the possibility of a general vaccine (I doubt I would get one, just because it was developed in such a rush and panic, I don't know if I would trust it enough to consider it necessary).

The thing is: if the Stones plan and announce that any tour is their last, you can bet your bottom dollar getting tickets will not be near as easy as it was this last round. Every half interested "fan" will be clamoring for those tickets just to say they saw the last performances of the band. So many true fans who don't want to deal with the hassle because they have seen it all before plenty times will just let it go and all the cell phone waving hordes of half-fans will all beat down the doors to attend. I think I personally would pass. It would be a night for nostalgia and not necessarily for the music.

jb

None of that you say would surprise me.

All of that aside, as it has remained for years, I never have been a fan of anyone to travel more than 2 hours to see them so, on that note, New Orleans in 2019, a short drive, was a nice treat, more for the people I was with than me. Fortunately my expectations of the show, as a fan, song wise, was moot, and I was not disappointed: it was exactly as I expected. It was good. It wasn't great. It wasn't bad. It was memorable enough.

So there it is for this Stones fan. If they never play live again, oh well.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 16, 2020 14:55

Manofwealthandtaste
It would be interesting to know whether Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie have ever pondered, or even idly chatted, about how the Stones Live performances might end. I am sure that in their wildest dreams (or nightmares) they would not wish it to end in this way, having their touring career terminated for them. The optimist in me hopes there will be a way for the band to perform again, thus enabling them to stop as and when they wish, under their own terms.
Maybe it will be a 60th anniversary show or two in 2022 back in London where it all started.....

I think without a doubt neither they themselves nor us their fans would wish their touring life to end this way ... terminated abruptly because of this pandemic. A nightmare scenario for them - surely ? Lets hope all for a better outcome !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 16, 2020 18:19

paulywaul
Manofwealthandtaste
It would be interesting to know whether Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie have ever pondered, or even idly chatted, about how the Stones Live performances might end. I am sure that in their wildest dreams (or nightmares) they would not wish it to end in this way, having their touring career terminated for them. The optimist in me hopes there will be a way for the band to perform again, thus enabling them to stop as and when they wish, under their own terms.
Maybe it will be a 60th anniversary show or two in 2022 back in London where it all started.....

I think without a doubt neither they themselves nor us their fans would wish their touring life to end this way ... terminated abruptly because of this pandemic. A nightmare scenario for them - surely ? Lets hope all for a better outcome !

Surely they want to go out on their own terms, but if this is what ends their touring, it might be somewhat of a relief for them. They don't have to grapple over the ultimate decision, and can blame it on the covid.
The history books will always say they were bravely about to embark another tour whilst in their mid-'70's, until the world stopped in it's tracks due to the pandemic. Considering they've always said they will tour until they no longer can, this seems like a "happier" ending than them having to stop because one of them becomes unable to play or worst case scenario passes away. Whatever happens, I'm sure they're content with their 55+ year touring career right now, though 60 does have a nice ring to it. That being said, 2022 is not too far from now, and I imagine they'll be able to play a handful of shows somewhere to wrap it all up (I've always imagined/predicted Royal Albert Hall). I do have serious doubts they'll ever be able to play large stadiums again, but maybe one grand finale show at Wembley stadium (or any massive stadium) would be an appropriate ending. I know if I never see them live again, I'm completely content with the many shows I've seen over the years. In fact I could say the same about any band, but I do look forward to the day when I can go to live shows again, though only when it's safe and sound to do so. And no, I'm not talking about "drive-in" concerts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-16 18:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2020 19:02

Hairball
paulywaul
Manofwealthandtaste

Surely they want to go out on their own terms, but if this is what ends their touring, it might be somewhat of a relief for them. They don't have to grapple over the ultimate decision, and can blame it on the covid.
The history books will always say they were bravely about to embark another tour whilst in their mid-'70's, until the world stopped in it's tracks due to the pandemic. Considering they've always said they will tour until they no longer can, this seems like a "happier" ending than them having to stop because one of them becomes unable to play or worst case scenario passes away. Whatever happens, I'm sure they're content with their 55+ year touring career right now, though 60 does have a nice ring to it. That being said, 2022 is not too far from now, and I imagine they'll be able to play a handful of shows somewhere to wrap it all up (I've always imagined/predicted Royal Albert Hall). I do have serious doubts they'll ever be able to play large stadiums again, but maybe one grand finale show at Wembley stadium (or any massive stadium) would be an appropriate ending.

Bravely! That's hilarious! All that hyperbole about their ages... all the journalists make it sound like the Stones themselves were lugging the amps around and putting up the stages... in their 70s!

On a serious note... you mentioned it might be a relief to them to not be able to go back out because of COVID - remember what Mick said about his doc telling him he was OK to go on tour last year and Mick was hoping that he could stay home?

Mick was probably more serious than kidding.

I can't remember who it was but I believe it was in the 2019 tour thread that said they had a weird feeling (paraphrasing) that Miami was the last Stones show ever.

I know it's a bit early to speculate such a thing about the Stones touring again. That aside, if they work on the new album for another year and a half they will be able to say they've been a band for 60 years if they release the new album on, gee, July 12, 2022... and never tour again, which at that point... it kind of seemed it was heading that way. I've never believed them, about dying on stage. That's just spew for the press.

Charlie has the most difficult job but it will be Keith's health that will stop The Rolling Stones from touring.

Date: June 16, 2020 20:51

paulywaul
Manofwealthandtaste

I think without a doubt neither they themselves nor us their fans would wish their touring life to end this way ... terminated abruptly because of this pandemic. A nightmare scenario for them - surely ? Lets all hope for a better outcome !

I'll just add a postscript to this. And it is that I really hope the Stones can end their touring career on their terms; that's the bottom line ! It's a bottom line I can relate to personally extremely well, if only for the fact that I am currently winding down/ending one career (so to say), as I gradually ramp up another - albeit more of a part-time one. I have spent 42 years spent doing one thing for a living, and my remaining years will be spent doing another ! But the key thing, is that I would like to end what it is I've been doing for those 42 years very much on my terms. In other words, I would like to be the one that says "that's it, I quit", rather than having the end brought on by circumstances entirely beyond my control.

Possibly the RS think much the same. Maybe (as Manofwealthandtaste himself ponders) the Stones have indeed perhaps had the conversation, if only in the form of an idle chat ? Maybe not ? When/where/how will it all end for us ? Yikes ! What a question ! But regardless of whether they've ever had the conversation or not, I very much doubt if any of them would be content to let sodding COVID-19 and the curtailment of large concert gatherings end it all for them ! I cannot for one moment entertain the idea that they'd be happy to let the present circumstances effectively end their touring life, and save them the trouble of having to themselves decide when/where/how ?

However it's supposed to end, surely not like that !!??

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 16, 2020 21:13

GasLightStreet
Hairball
paulywaul
Manofwealthandtaste

The history books will always say they were bravely about to embark another tour whilst in their mid-'70's, until the world stopped in it's tracks due to the pandemic. Considering they've always said they will tour until they no longer can, this seems like a "happier" ending than them having to stop because one of them becomes unable to play or worst case scenario passes away. Whatever happens, I'm sure they're content with their 55+ year touring career right now, though 60 does have a nice ring to it. That being said, 2022 is not too far from now, and I imagine they'll be able to play a handful of shows somewhere to wrap it all up (I've always imagined/predicted Royal Albert Hall). I do have serious doubts they'll ever be able to play large stadiums again, but maybe one grand finale show at Wembley stadium (or any massive stadium) would be an appropriate ending.

Bravely! That's hilarious! All that hyperbole about their ages... all the journalists make it sound like the Stones themselves were lugging the amps around and putting up the stages... in their 70s!

On a serious note... you mentioned it might be a relief to them to not be able to go back out because of COVID - remember what Mick said about his doc telling him he was OK to go on tour last year and Mick was hoping that he could stay home?

Mick was probably more serious than kidding.

I can't remember who it was but I believe it was in the 2019 tour thread that said they had a weird feeling (paraphrasing) that Miami was the last Stones show ever.

I know it's a bit early to speculate such a thing about the Stones touring again. That aside, if they work on the new album for another year and a half they will be able to say they've been a band for 60 years if they release the new album on, gee, July 12, 2022... and never tour again, which at that point... it kind of seemed it was heading that way. I've never believed them, about dying on stage. That's just spew for the press.

Charlie has the most difficult job but it will be Keith's health that will stop The Rolling Stones from touring.

I believe it was BV who suggested that Miami might have been their last show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 16, 2020 21:43

I don't think Miami 2019 was their last show. May be the last show on a major tour. Whenever there is a vaccine, in 1-2 or 3 years time, they should be able to play somewhere in UK. Not too much travel, except for Keith, and back to where it all began, in UK. That is just my personal thought.

Bjornulf

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: June 16, 2020 23:54

Aerosmith has rescheduled the tour in 2021. Why not the stones?

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: June 17, 2020 00:22

All due respect, BV, but I would not recommend putting all your eggs in the vaccine basket. Hopefully we'll get one. Another coronavirus (you may have heard of it) called SARS eventually and quickly just vanished. No effective vaccine was ever developed. Hopefully too this will all just...fade away. There is another viral illness called influenza (no relation to SARS-cov-2, aka coronavirus) that DOES have a vaccine and that >50% of the people I recommend it to will not take it. Still 500,000 die every season worldwide from the flu. Let's get on with life. Hopefully not too late for the Stones. Bad timing indeed. Hopefully there is a vaccine, but it's not exactly like polio, for instance. I know the virus is out there. I treat people with complications from it on a daily basis. I put on my N95 mask. I hope I don't bring it back to my wife who takes medicine that compromises her immune system. Some of my patients get sick and die. People die from a bunch of other things too. Way more people.

I swear I'll never say another word about this. But if I'm a guitar tech, and I keep hearing stuff about bad pickups, I'm gonna say "Don't buy it", right. I agree with your bylaws, BV. I want to talk Stones. Not politics or anything else. This is supposed to be an escape from an increasingly political world. Unfortunately there is an "information war" going on. Science has been infected with politics for years. Garbage in, garbage out. Desired outcomes are built into the system. More importantly, we might not ever be able to see our favorite band again.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 17, 2020 04:41

Has BV ever been wrong? I dont think so

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 17, 2020 05:09

Everything 2012 onwards was a bonus I suppose. They toured the world, visiting the major places and smaller places smiling smiley

Most people who went to see the Rolling Stones from 2012 to 2019 expected that to be their last time seeing them.

Besides, do they really want to keep going until it's embarrassing? People will always turn up but at one point it will be not good. A year gap from touring will show even more cracks IMHO. Keith's health etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-17 05:11 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 17, 2020 10:43

goingmad

Deep Purple and The Who also rescheduled to 2021, and they are in the same age group.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 17, 2020 11:44

bv
I don't think Miami 2019 was their last show. May be the last show on a major tour. Whenever there is a vaccine, in 1-2 or 3 years time, they should be able to play somewhere in UK. Not too much travel, except for Keith, and back to where it all began, in UK. That is just my personal thought.

I don't know. I can't see them performing in Birmingham as an example with an average ticket price of 300 £. The venue would never sell out. But that's what the prices would be like - at least; they have extremely high costs and wanna make some money nevertheless. Even in London I can't imagine more than three or four O2 shows. Ten British shows with prices like this, more expensive than 2019, some not selling well - I don't think that will happen.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 17, 2020 12:03

bv

If a vaccine becomes available, I could see them take a final bow in Hyde Park for a few shows. Obviously they have history there & there would a nice symmetry to it. Between the pandemic & resulting economic troubles, I don't see the big stadium tour being viable for them anymore. Who knows, maybe they will surprise us but "time waits for no one".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 17, 2020 12:27

All Back Ta Dartford .....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 17, 2020 13:06

bv

A dream ending that would indeed be ! Back in the UK, where it all began !

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: June 17, 2020 14:31

I still have a ticket for the SD gig...but would prefer they cancel and play in England, it was fun taking the Eurostar from Paris and bumming around London before the 2018 show I attended! (although visiting their house on Edith Grove was a waste of time and I regret not going to Bill's Sticky Fingers!)

Date: June 17, 2020 14:45

They normally reschedule missed shows so it shouldn’t be any different this time. If they’re not well enough to travel then they might not be able to perform on stage at that point either.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 17, 2020 19:30

Pollstar has had the Rolling Stones in their Top 10 "Trending Tours" for the last few days. Someone over there must think there is a rumor of rescheduled dates coming soon.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 17, 2020 21:59

Topi
goingmad

Deep Purple and The Who also rescheduled to 2021, and they are in the same age group.

....and in a year's time, they will all "reschedule" again (or cancel) if things are like they are now.

there is absolutely nothing guaranteed at this point and everybody knows that.

these bands will have to pay their lawyers & managers and whomever big $$ to deal w/ the headache if they have to "postpone" again

the Stones are smart to keep their cards close to their chest....no sense giving false hope or getting all tied up in legal-whatever-whatever early on when things remain so wildly unpredictable.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 18, 2020 08:10

Not sure how or if this will affect the Stones but its bad for the industry

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 18, 2020 09:31

stickyfingers101
Topi
goingmad

....and in a year's time, they will all "reschedule" again (or cancel) if things are like they are now.

there is absolutely nothing guaranteed at this point and everybody knows that.

these bands will have to pay their lawyers & managers and whomever big $$ to deal w/ the headache if they have to "postpone" again

the Stones are smart to keep their cards close to their chest....no sense giving false hope or getting all tied up in legal-whatever-whatever early on when things remain so wildly unpredictable.

You're exactly right in saying we don't know what 2021 looks like with the pandemic, but is rescheduling events (including the Olympics, the EURO 2020 and so on) "giving false hope"?

Of course plans will change if things are like they are now. That was not the point.

You also brought up the legal aspect. Legally, contractually, the Stones are still supposed to play this tour. They haven't cancelled it. Certainly, it's going to be more work for managers, insurance lawyers etc. if a rescheduled tour would need to be rescheduled again, but ultimately, the Stones are in the show business, not the show cancelling business. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-18 09:31 by Topi.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 18, 2020 11:08

daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Especially when you consider that without government intervention (in the US at least) a vast number of independent venues aren't going to be reopening. I can see a scenario where Live Nation & AEG swoop in & buy some of these at fire sale prices. Having those 2 companies in control of almost all of the live music isn't going to be good for anyone, artists or fans. There is a real lot of draconian stuff in that Rolling Stone article.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 18, 2020 11:35

The covid-19 pandemic is the biggest life changing pandemic since the 1918 pandemic, and the largest blow to the economy in ages. People do still walk around without masks in high-risk areas, making political statements. That is why this pandemic will stay alive many places in the world, for a long time, and that is why there will not be any Stones shows in large stadiums for a long long while.

Stadium shows and large football crowds are breeding places for virus. They can and should not happen. The reason why some countries like Spain, Italy and USA were hit hard was the fact that they were slow in stopping large crowds. Just an example:

LONDON (AFP) - The decision to let Liverpool's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid go ahead may have "led to 41 additional deaths" due to the coronavirus, the Sunday Times reported.

Jurgen Klopp's side faced the Spanish club in a second-leg last 16 tie at Anfield on March 11 in front of a crowd of some 52,000, with 3,000 visiting supporters in attendance.

The match was the last major football fixture played in England before the coronavirus lockdown.

Liverpool-Atletico football match linked to '41 additional' coronavirus deaths: Report

They should not have allowed that game. They should not have allowed any large crowds in March this year. Mardi Gras New Orleans should have been canceled. But money rules, so we will see many local outbreaks, still no large crowds allowed. Luckily the political leaders are not that stupid, even if some individual seems to think that they are eternal, well they are selfish, but not eternal.

CDC: Mardi Gras quickened spread of coronavirus in Louisiana; canceling was never recommended

You do not have to be clairvoyant to see there will be no large crowds any time soon. It is just basic science. People will die in thousands if there are large crowds. The Stones tour concept is large crowds. Sure they could perform in front of just 200, but I can't see them doing that, with band and crowd wearing masks. We are living in strange days, just don't forget:

The virus is still here, and it will not go away. EBOLA, SARS, MERS, HIV/AIDS, they are all different, more fatal, still no vaccine, but so many don't care about COVID-19, that is why it will still be around, all over the world, also in Beijing China, and in New Zealand, places where they have 100 times more virus protection than other places.

Bjornulf

Date: June 18, 2020 11:48

bv
The covid-19 pandemic is the biggest life changing pandemic since the 1918 pandemic, and the largest blow to the economy in ages. People do still walk around without masks in high-risk areas, making political statements. That is why this pandemic will stay alive many places in the world, for a long time, and that is why there will not be any Stones shows in large stadiums for a long long while.

Stadium shows and large football crowds are breeding places for virus. They can and should not happen. The reason why some countries like Spain, Italy and USA were hit hard was the fact that they were slow in stopping large crowds. Just an example:

LONDON (AFP) - The decision to let Liverpool's Champions League match against Atletico Madrid go ahead may have "led to 41 additional deaths" due to the coronavirus, the Sunday Times reported.

Jurgen Klopp's side faced the Spanish club in a second-leg last 16 tie at Anfield on March 11 in front of a crowd of some 52,000, with 3,000 visiting supporters in attendance.

The match was the last major football fixture played in England before the coronavirus lockdown.

Liverpool-Atletico football match linked to '41 additional' coronavirus deaths: Report

They should not have allowed that game. They should not have allowed any large crowds in March this year. Mardi Gras New Orleans should have been canceled. But money rules, so we will see many local outbreaks, still no large crowds allowed. Luckily the political leaders are not that stupid, even if some individual seems to think that they are eternal, well they are selfish, but not eternal.

CDC: Mardi Gras quickened spread of coronavirus in Louisiana; canceling was never recommended

You do not have to be clairvoyant to see there will be no large crowds any time soon. It is just basic science. People will die in thousands if there are large crowds. The Stones tour concept is large crowds. Sure they could perform in front of just 200, but I can't see them doing that, with band and crowd wearing masks. We are living in strange days, just don't forget:

The virus is still here, and it will not go away. EBOLA, SARS, MERS, HIV/AIDS, they are all different, more fatal, still no vaccine, but so many don't care about COVID-19, that is why it will still be around, all over the world, also in Beijing China, and in New Zealand, places where they have 100 times more virus protection than other places.

Cannot really argue with what you say BV. All in all, a pretty dire prognosis really ... !

Date: June 18, 2020 11:50

daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Grim reading ! I can imagine this will go down like a lead balloon with most, if not all, artists

Date: June 18, 2020 14:21

paulywaul
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Grim reading ! I can imagine this will go down like a lead balloon with most, if not all, artists

This is better than nothing.
Lockdown Blues.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com] With Carlos Santana.

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: June 18, 2020 14:40

Well folks, honestly. It is over for THE ROLLING STONES. They are 77 years old. Next year they will be 78. I do not think a man of 78 year old will be rocking on stage. That will be too much for an old body. THE WHO and DEEP PURPLE are in early 70s, that is 72, 73 years. However when people crosses 75 it is an old age.

Performing at 78 years for two hours is tough.

Date: June 18, 2020 14:43

TheflyingDutchman
paulywaul
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

This is better than nothing.
Lockdown Blues.

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com] With Carlos Santana.

Try as I might (and indeed I really really really have tried) to listen to and to appreciate jazz ... I just don't get it/feel it. It simply doesn't do it for me !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 157

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home