Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Ivan Kral
Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: February 3, 2020 10:04

ex- Patti Smith Group, Iggy Pop...

Re: OT: RIP Ivan Kral
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 3, 2020 11:28

RIP Ivan Král.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: February 3, 2020 13:43

A sad day here in Prague as Czech Born Musician Ivan Kral has passed....I saw him many times as he would return for Concert's...A friend of mine was in his band for a spell....Met him many times very cool guy....Last show i saw was in 2018....Peace

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 3, 2020 14:44

RIP Ivan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 3, 2020 15:42

Thats sad. He was the one who WROTE a lot of songs with her, especially on Radio Ethiopia.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 3, 2020 18:08

I was a fan of the Patti Smith Group. The first concert I ever saw at a club was the PSG at The Roxy. Kral had a real Rock Star vibe in person--not so much like all the Keith-wannabes out there at the time, but more like a Brian Jones sort of cool.

RIP

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 3, 2020 21:03

I just thought of this film made by Kral:
[www.youtube.com]

He also did another more popular film around the same time with Amos Poe called Blank Generation.

Night Lunch consisted of footage shot by Kral at various NYC shows during 1974-75. It's probably the first time a lot of the early New York Punk bands were ever documented on film, but there's also a lot of footage of mainstream acts playing live like Faces, Queen, Bowie, even George Harrison on his '74 Dark Horse tour.

I went to what might have been the only L.A. screening ever in 1976 at the Fox Venice theater (on a bill with Mad Dogs and Englishmen). The people who were there as Joe Cocker fans were bewildered, because it's really more like a home movie, shot in what looks like Super-8, and SILENT too. To make up for the lack of live sound, records of each group were played. I remember the footage of the Faces show had an out-of-sync "Too Bad" from A Nod Is As Good As A Wink playing behind it (and I'm certain that all the music was not licensed. Which is probably why this film never screened anywhere again)

There aren't any shots of the Stones in this trailer, but for some reason I thought it had footage of them during the TOTA in '75. Memory gets a little strange at times. I might have mixed up that impression with another memory of a guy I saw at the July 10 Forum Stones show who was shooting home movies with his camera up on a tripod that he held up over his head who kept running up the floor to get shots closer to the stage

As a portrait of those years, I always thought Night Lunch was important because it didn't view the roots of Punk as this separate either/or thing that was disconnected from Rock in general. Just because this new approach was developing didn't mean that you had to hate everything from before (which was kind of the idea that started in England a little later) Like Rock Scene magazine which documented the New York music world in print, for music fans it was all one big thing, and all good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-03 21:18 by loog droog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home