Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Mick and Rae Dawn Chong
Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 4, 2020 00:53

There are some people here who need a reality check and to get over themselves.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 4, 2020 00:53

wonderboy
Ket
what do you mean 'using underage girls'? did you even read the 58 year old woman's reflection? do you think she was a victim? look I'm not saying having sex with an underage person is not wrong but please read HER statement.

It's just creepy. Forget that he's Mick Jagger for a minute. It's a creepy thing to do. And a 15-year-old girl really doesn't have the maturity or life experience to make a decision like that, that's why society has these unwritten rules about underage sex. And really we have no idea of what impact it may have had on her or her family.

Dear Wonderboy,

you and I do not agree on everything, yet I like your film "The Wonderboys".

Best regards

Windmelody

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 4, 2020 01:05

'And really we have no idea of what impact it may have had on her or her family'

oh we do! from her own statement. she is explaining she was not a victim and she did not tell Mick her age.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 4, 2020 01:08

wonderboy
Ket
what do you mean 'using underage girls'? did you even read the 58 year old woman's reflection? do you think she was a victim? look I'm not saying having sex with an underage person is not wrong but please read HER statement.

It's just creepy. Forget that he's Mick Jagger for a minute. It's a creepy thing to do. And a 15-year-old girl really doesn't have the maturity or life experience to make a decision like that, that's why society has these unwritten rules about underage sex. And really we have no idea of what impact it may have had on her or her family.

Actually, we do now what kind of impact it had on her. A POSITIVE ONE!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 4, 2020 01:13

Ket
'And really we have no idea of what impact it may have had on her or her family'

oh we do! from her own statement. she is explaining she was not a victim and she did not tell Mick her age.

In general, things like this are not good for the girl. It was interesting that she seemed bothered that Jagger will be upset at her for revealing this.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 4, 2020 01:16

please read her statement again

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 4, 2020 03:51

How many casting stones (Stones) on here wouldn't have done the same thing at the time?

In the words of Mick Jagger - "She Was Hot".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 4, 2020 04:08

nick
Rocky Dijon
While you're rounding up your fellow villagers with their torches so you can storm the castle, kindly remember these are criminals who took lots of illegal drugs and played with guns; have serial addictions to sex, drugs, and alcohol; and (yes) glorified their scandalous behavior as part of their image, in their lyrics, and in their artistic expression from cover art to tour inflatables to video images to advertising.

They are bad people doing what they please. That's the point. That means being unfaithful, sleeping with underage girls, playing with the occult, hanging with dangerous criminals, and behaving like moral degenerates. That's who they are. They don't apologize for being transparent.

If you've suddenly developed a moral compass that says The Rolling Stones are shameful people, don't tell it to fans on their messageboard. Go find Jesus or political correctness or whatever else makes you feel morally superior and stop listening to what offends you. You're no longer a fan. I salute your maturity and responsibility. Just please don't waste anyone's time here trying to convert them. Most of us knew what we were getting when we bought the ticket. The truth is, the bad behavior is a big part of why we love them.

As being a person of unsavory character myself, I was simply expressing that if you need to go to a little girl to get your rocks off then that's your thing and it's not mine. To say I can't express an opinion on it here (and you are) while you can express your opinion defending it is just your typical bloviating. I will still listen to their music, go to the shows and post here just like you. I have no interest in being morally superior, politically correct, religious, or mature it's just not my vice and I have every right to say it. Furthermore, anyone here that is wholesome and of good morals has the right to express their opinion too. If you don't like it, then you go somewhere else. There you see, I can be a friggin blowhard windbag just like you.

Are you Tomi Lahren? Kind of sounds like it.

You're beyond assumptive. In a plethora of ways.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 4, 2020 04:19

SomeGuy
Rocky Dijon
nick
As myself being a person of unsavory character, I was simply expressing that if you need to go to a little girl to get your rocks off then that's your thing and it's not mine. To say I can't express an opinion on it here (and you are) while you can express your opinion defending it is just your typical bloviating

You miss my point which since I apparently talk endlessly in an inflated fashion saying nothing of value (thank you for that) must be my fault.

Try two other viewpoints: We all know Keith was a junkie. That doesn't mean we're okay with people using heroin. We understood that when we became fans unless we're old enough to have been a fan before 1968. We're not scandalized to hear more junkie stories about him.

We all know about Bill and Mandy. That doesn't mean we're okay with underage sex, but we knew "Stray Cat Blues," "Summer Romance," and "So Young" and didn't imagine they were fantasizing. It was part of their lives.

They're outlaws. We don't hold them to society's standards. Sometimes they came close to being held to it by the Establishment, but most of us are glad they didn't do time and got off with wrist slappings. Some of us point out quite fairly that's the privilege of wealth and is unfair, but we didn't want the band broken up in 1967 any more than we did in 1977 or 1986. Whether we like to admit it or not, we're glad they're outlaws who got away with the crime even if we wouldn't be okay if it was us, our friends, our neighbors, our co-workers doing the same thing. It's the same mentality that made gangsters folk heroes. They transgress what we can't and it appeals to us and we try not to think about the consequences for those who were hurt by their actions.

If that's still being long-winded and devoid of meaning, I can't help you. For what it's worth, while I may have responded to your post immediately before mine, I was directing it to the outrage of many, not one. Yes, it was wrong of Mick. No, we shouldn't be surprised. Yes, it was wrong of Keith with Quincy Jones' underage (according to her) daughter. No, we shouldn't be surprised. And on and on. It's what they do. They had the opportunity, the power, and the notoriety to do what would have been unthinkable had they not been stars. We might tell ourselves we wouldn't have made the same terrible mistakes, but we can't honestly know that not having the same circumstances in which to choose.

I strongly disagree with this, Rocky, if I may chime in here.

No, it is not surprising, but no, it is also not something we should appreciate in them, just as gangsters are not folk heroes. The criterium, for me, is about hurting other people. Doing heroin isn't the same as abusing children or murdering people. The 'bad' part of the Stones had everything to do with their rebellious attitude against stupid drug laws, oppressive social standards and conservative bourgeois ways of living in the 50s and 60s, and nothing with hurting people.

Has anyone alive ever said that the Stones have hurt them?

You know, the awful songs aside. Have any of the Stones abused any children or murdered anyone? Times change. It's one thing to go, Oh it's Mick Jagger, of COURSE it's true!

In the 2020 world if enough people choose not to believe it then... it's not true. And in 3 days it will be forgotten.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 4, 2020 04:29

Ket
please read her statement again

smoking smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 4, 2020 04:50

GasLightStreet

Are you Tomi Lahren? Kind of sounds like it.

You're beyond assumptive. In a plethora of ways.

How much Tomi Lahren do you watch to make an "assumptive" comment like that? Doesn't she have a political show? We're not gonna go there.

I wasn't even going comment in this thread until Torn and Fried was cool with it as long as it was consensual. Then "There you go again" Dijon starts chirpin about people that didn't approve are preaching, attempting to convert people and should go elsewhere.

Here's assumptive for ya: I fully expect one your classic Gas Light(ing) responses along the lines of "My opinion is right, your's is wrong" as they all are.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2020 04:55

Wonder why Rae Dawn's spilling the beans after all these years- maybe she's getting ready to sell a book?
Reminds me of when MacKenzie Phillips was in the news talking about her and Mick's adventures.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 4, 2020 05:13

Hairball
Wonder why Rae Dawn's spilling the beans after all these years- maybe she's getting ready to sell a book?
Reminds me of when MacKenzie Phillips was in the news talking about her and Mick's adventures.

Nah. I think she just made a comment in the course of an interview about her life and it became a minor new story. She doesn't have enough notoriety to publish an autobiography.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 05:18 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 4, 2020 05:56

schillid
Rocky Dijon
If you want wholesome performers, then listen to The Carpenters.

I love The Carpenters...

Gotta get me some more carpenters...love'em.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: February 4, 2020 06:51

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
Rocky Dijon
nick
As myself being a person of unsavory character, I was simply expressing that if you need to go to a little girl to get your rocks off then that's your thing and it's not mine. To say I can't express an opinion on it here (and you are) while you can express your opinion defending it is just your typical bloviating

You miss my point which since I apparently talk endlessly in an inflated fashion saying nothing of value (thank you for that) must be my fault.

Try two other viewpoints: We all know Keith was a junkie. That doesn't mean we're okay with people using heroin. We understood that when we became fans unless we're old enough to have been a fan before 1968. We're not scandalized to hear more junkie stories about him.

We all know about Bill and Mandy. That doesn't mean we're okay with underage sex, but we knew "Stray Cat Blues," "Summer Romance," and "So Young" and didn't imagine they were fantasizing. It was part of their lives.

They're outlaws. We don't hold them to society's standards. Sometimes they came close to being held to it by the Establishment, but most of us are glad they didn't do time and got off with wrist slappings. Some of us point out quite fairly that's the privilege of wealth and is unfair, but we didn't want the band broken up in 1967 any more than we did in 1977 or 1986. Whether we like to admit it or not, we're glad they're outlaws who got away with the crime even if we wouldn't be okay if it was us, our friends, our neighbors, our co-workers doing the same thing. It's the same mentality that made gangsters folk heroes. They transgress what we can't and it appeals to us and we try not to think about the consequences for those who were hurt by their actions.

If that's still being long-winded and devoid of meaning, I can't help you. For what it's worth, while I may have responded to your post immediately before mine, I was directing it to the outrage of many, not one. Yes, it was wrong of Mick. No, we shouldn't be surprised. Yes, it was wrong of Keith with Quincy Jones' underage (according to her) daughter. No, we shouldn't be surprised. And on and on. It's what they do. They had the opportunity, the power, and the notoriety to do what would have been unthinkable had they not been stars. We might tell ourselves we wouldn't have made the same terrible mistakes, but we can't honestly know that not having the same circumstances in which to choose.

I strongly disagree with this, Rocky, if I may chime in here.

No, it is not surprising, but no, it is also not something we should appreciate in them, just as gangsters are not folk heroes. The criterium, for me, is about hurting other people. Doing heroin isn't the same as abusing children or murdering people. The 'bad' part of the Stones had everything to do with their rebellious attitude against stupid drug laws, oppressive social standards and conservative bourgeois ways of living in the 50s and 60s, and nothing with hurting people.

Has anyone alive ever said that the Stones have hurt them?

You know, the awful songs aside. Have any of the Stones abused any children or murdered anyone? Times change. It's one thing to go, Oh it's Mick Jagger, of COURSE it's true!

In the 2020 world if enough people choose not to believe it then... it's not true. And in 3 days it will be forgotten.

I think I already said something along those lines earlier.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: February 4, 2020 07:12

Rocky Dijon
schillid

I love The Carpenters...

I thought Karen had a perfect voice, but her brother was a cheesy hack when it came to harmonies and string arrangements.

Weird Al performing "Close to You" at The Apollo Theater in Harlem was a sublime moment that all should expereince.

Used to hear the Carpenters in the 70s as a youngster, but now as an oldster that's one major act I've never gone back to listening to; kind of over-rated -- every song they recorded, someone else before them did it better.

Dusty Springfield, Close To You: [www.youtube.com]

Walker Brothers, Hurting Each Other: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 4, 2020 07:28

Lurv Sonic Youth's cover of Superstar …….........….

Loneliness is such a sad affair
And I can hardly wait to be with you again
What to say to make you come again?
Come back to me again and play your sad guitar

Don't you remember, you told me you loved me baby?
You said you'd be coming back this way again baby
Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh baby
I love you, I really do ……………………………..S.A.G.

ROCKMAN

Date: February 4, 2020 07:40

As a ten year old in 5th grade in '73 , our teacher forced our class to sing this song every morning.
She was a true quack of a teacher, but admit I kind of liked the song then and still do now - in fact I liked most Carpenters songs .smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 07:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 4, 2020 07:50

Hairball
As a ten year old in 5th grade in '73 , our teacher forced our class to sing this song every morning.
She was a true quack of a teacher, but admit I kind of liked the song then and still do now - in fact I liked most Carpenters songs .smiling smiley

I was in 3rd grade in '73...for us on occasion, it was "Sing" - which was also heard on Sesame Street. My cousin had the "Now and Then" album; played the heck out of it whenever we would visit.

I liked most Carpenters songs as well. Karen's voice was really something.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 4, 2020 07:53

Tozer the art teacher use ta
catch me flippin thru Stones books in class …. said he liked jaggers hair

ROCKMAN

Date: February 4, 2020 07:59

Jah Paul
Hairball

I was in 3rd grade in '73...for us on occasion, it was "Sing" - which was also heard on Sesame Street. My cousin had the "Now and Then" album; played the heck out of it whenever we would visit.

I liked most Carpenters songs as well. Karen's voice was really something.

My older sister had a greatest hits album around that time, but my first true memory of them is hearing Close To You repeatedly on the radio in the summer of '70.
"On the day that you were born the angels got together, and decided to create a dream come true..." - such a nice tune (written by Burt Bacharach). smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 4, 2020 08:04

I remember all those innocent songs. We also had one about a lonely petulia in a onion patch, all he did was cry all day. Ah, the childhood days. My 5th grade teacher loved Mick in 1975. I wasn't a fan yet, but I was rather a Beatles fan.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 4, 2020 08:09

Hairball
My older sister had a greatest hits album around that time, but my first true memory of them is hearing Close To You repeatedly on the radio in the summer of '70.
"On the day that you were born the angels got together, and decided to create a dream come true..." - such a nice tune (written by Burt Bacharach). smiling smiley

I remember after I heard the news of Karen's passing in '83 (coincidentally, February 4th), I played my old "Yesterday Once More" single - a nostalgic song listened to in a nostalgic context...ten years after its release. Back then, ten years felt like a lifetime - now it's a blink of an eye!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 4, 2020 09:14

This entire thread is a send up with fans acting like dipshits who don’t understand rockers banging young girls and pretending they like the Carpenters,right?
You guys get so ironic sometimes it’s hard to follow.

Date: February 4, 2020 09:20

Haha this thread took quite a detour....grinning smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 4, 2020 09:30

Maybe we can change it into the youngster took advantage of the old guy. Damn kids, haha.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 4, 2020 11:48

Rockman
Chong explained.

“I knew I had the power to pick and choose whatever man I wanted.
I was keen to have every experience I could.”

Much like Marianne...

"I want to experience everything."

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 4, 2020 12:07

Tried to post a picture but failed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 12:08 by Captain Teague.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 4, 2020 12:41

Hairball

When I was 11 in 1971, our teacher had us singing Lord of the dance, The Age of Aquarius and Blowing in the wind.................and to think, my father wanted me to follow him into the army, he had no chance after that 'education'...................grinning smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 4, 2020 12:49

frankotero
Maybe we can change it into the youngster took advantage of the old guy. Damn kids, haha.

LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-08 20:26 by keithsman.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1325
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home