Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Will the Stones ever die?
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: February 2, 2020 18:57

bv
They will live on forever, like the sun and the moon.

Read Elijah Wald's How the Beatles Destroyed Rock'n'Roll for a sobering reminder about how it is IMPOSSIBLE to know which acts/songs will survive and be embraced by future generations. All we can say is that some of them will ... all else is conjecture.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 19:01

None of us will ever know, because we will all be dead then....

Re: Will the legend of The Rolling Stones live on ?
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: February 2, 2020 19:18

Nikkei
Irix
bv

And they'll be recited like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin ....

I see a flaw in this often repeated assumption. It's always referring to composers, who the interpreters of their works are is neglectable. The Stones, while certainly being composers in their own right, will never have interpreters doing faithful renditions of their works as sheet music. It's all about the recordings and those may or may not fade into distance

Spot on.

It's too early in the history of recorded music to predict accurately what will last. Historically, it was ALL about the composition, the song -- didn't matter who sang or performed it. The Beatles are probably the only pop act -- since they have been covered so often -- whose compositions may outlive them. Which records will last may be entirely a different story.

Whose body of work is most likely to be remembered, then? By the sheer numbers you'd say the Fab Four. But that's not been an accurate barometer before. What about a more 'cult' figure like David Bowie -- will future generations spawn Bowie acolytes who maintain the fervor of his vision? What about the songbook of The Grateful Dead? Those tunes are becoming Americana incarnated and one could imagine them being played a century from now in outdoor festivals before throngs of neo-Dead-Heads. Maybe someone in the future will decode a secret message in "Maggot Brain" or alien transmissions in the work of Roky Erickson's 13th Floor Elevators and they will instantly vault to the top of the heap.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 2, 2020 20:47

bv

The Stones may really live for ever, i.e. longer than the sun (only 5 billion years of life expectancy) because waves cross forever the universe.

Theoretically, aliens living farther than five billion light years from the London Palladium or the MSG should be able to convert in Stones fan after catching the dizzy audio or video broadcasting of Satisfaction on their TV set well after the sun has die.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 21:51

The Joker
bv

The Stones may really live for ever, i.e. longer than the sun (only 5 billion years of life expectancy) because waves cross forever the universe.

Theoretically, aliens living farther than five billion light years from the London Palladium or the MSG should be able to convert in Stones fan after catching the dizzy audio or video broadcasting of Satisfaction on their TV set well after the sun has die.

TV set? That's just a silly invention by humans winking smiley
They probably catch the sound of Satisfaction directly into their brains (or whatever they have) and "hear" and "see" it that way. We humans are just a silly bunch, who can't even keep our own globe proper ... We're only just so very lucky to still have the Rolling Stones around grinning smiley

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 2, 2020 22:02

Their legacy will live on.. but only for their 60s and 70s stuff I think. In the end it doesn't matter if they'd quit in 1975 or 2025. Paint It Black and Satisfaction will live on but not Streets of Love.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 2, 2020 22:16

As long as there's an archive vault, the chance of them fading away diminishes.

Consider that we are closing in on the 50th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix, who had about 3 1/2 years as a frontman and released three studio albums before he died. But the endless stream of archival releases helps keep him in the public eye, even where some of those releases aren't exactly worthy.

My guess is that there's enough material in the vault to allow the Stones to remain in the public eye through archival releases for decades to come, even without touching that part of the archives that ABKCO owns.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 2, 2020 22:34

Will the Stones ever die?

They will Tumbling Die. smoking smiley

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 2, 2020 22:41

LazarusSmith
Nikkei
Irix
bv

I see a flaw in this often repeated assumption. It's always referring to composers, who the interpreters of their works are is neglectable. The Stones, while certainly being composers in their own right, will never have interpreters doing faithful renditions of their works as sheet music. It's all about the recordings and those may or may not fade into distance

Spot on.

It's too early in the history of recorded music to predict accurately what will last. Historically, it was ALL about the composition, the song -- didn't matter who sang or performed it. The Beatles are probably the only pop act -- since they have been covered so often -- whose compositions may outlive them. Which records will last may be entirely a different story.

Whose body of work is most likely to be remembered, then? By the sheer numbers you'd say the Fab Four. But that's not been an accurate barometer before. What about a more 'cult' figure like David Bowie -- will future generations spawn Bowie acolytes who maintain the fervor of his vision? What about the songbook of The Grateful Dead? Those tunes are becoming Americana incarnated and one could imagine them being played a century from now in outdoor festivals before throngs of neo-Dead-Heads. Maybe someone in the future will decode a secret message in "Maggot Brain" or alien transmissions in the work of Roky Erickson's 13th Floor Elevators and they will instantly vault to the top of the heap.

By 2050 rock music will no longer be a relevant musical force and most artists from the 1960s and 70's who are still popular today - including the Beatles and Stones - will be largely forgotten as their contemporary fans begin to die off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-02 22:41 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 3, 2020 00:11

In my opinion, I don't think they'll be forgotten. I think that as long as those of us on this site are alive and our children and their children are alive, the Stones will live one. I think the Stones are immortal. One day in music class or history class in some high school they'll be teaching kids about the great composer and philosopher Sir Mick Jagger or the wonderful artist Keith Richards. I'm very sorry if this has offended anyone. I was just curious.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: February 3, 2020 00:13

"You can't always get what you want" ~ Sir Mick Jagger

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 3, 2020 00:27

CJFP
In my opinion, I don't think they'll be forgotten. I think that as long as those of us on this site are alive and our children and their children are alive, the Stones will live one. I think the Stones are immortal. One day in music class or history class in some high school they'll be teaching kids about the great composer and philosopher Sir Mick Jagger or the wonderful artist Keith Richards. I'm very sorry if this has offended anyone. I was just curious.

you might have just now deeply offended a couple of philosophers

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 3, 2020 02:34

Nikkei
CJFP

you might have just now deeply offended a couple of philosophers

I had a very awkward professor once ask me if I've ever heard of the great philosopher Michael Jagger. Never heard him called a philosopher before! Kind of like it!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 3, 2020 02:57

time dilutes a legacy, but at least we have the technology to continue seeing them, otherwise they could be forgotten once those that lived at the same time had passed on, maybe in 100 years time people of that time wont really be interested in them, or that time had diverted from the truth as history has had the habit of being told differently, from my own perspective, the band will one day quit, and as long as im alive will continue to dig them as often as a i can for as long as i can.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2020 06:20

Their declining record sales are not exactly a hint but do reveal that the interest from their peer aged fan base have lost interest - rightfully so: when one is a bit particular and you haven't heard anything better than

- for some, nothing past STICKY FINGERS
- for some, nothing past Miss You
- for some, nothing past TATTOO YOU

then obviously another pious round of greatest hits compilations need to be doled out.

By 2027, 5 years after they, if they hang it up in 2022, the only way they'll be of any mind to anyone is if unreleased studio recordings are put out. Past that?

They'll probably be historically regarded as a band that shaped the concert industry (even in the same sentence with U2) where as The Beatles will always be remembered for their great songs and albums but not as much as well, if at all, by 2050. Hell, by then, if I'm still alive, I'll be 80 - think I'll give a shit about The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HELL NO!

No one will ever hear Paint It Black or Start Me Up in an elevator or a mall.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2020 06:32

Hell will there still be elevators or malls in 2050 ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2020 07:42

They retired after the 1997 tour, these guys are impostors, you know like the Temptations.

Date: February 3, 2020 07:58

….heck wait till my girl
finds out about this … along with
learnin her papa is a rolling stone
she's gonna be in a ball of confusion …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 3, 2020 08:02

>No one will ever hear Paint It Black or Start Me Up in an elevator or a mall.

Well, that is wrong, even today. I heard start me up in I think it was Rite Aid a month or so ago and I just heard JJF in Target or Raleys the other day. And I have heard Paint It Black in the past. People basically don't really get the songs, they just hum the melody. Or maybe its that I am in California.

Now if you want to say "Some Girls", I would have to admit you had me there.

jb

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: February 3, 2020 08:11

It might be comparable to classic music. Although it's some hundreds of years old, people still listen to Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Verdi etc.

The same will apply to bands such as Stones, Beatles, Doors, Who, ABBA … all time classics never to be completely forgotten.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 3, 2020 08:58

Rockman
….heck wait till my girl
finds out about this … along with
learnin her papa is a rolling stone
she's gonna be in a ball of confusion …..

I think I saw them with Bill looking for gem stones on that reality show in Australia.

Date: February 3, 2020 09:48

…. Reality show ….
never seen one …. are they real ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: February 3, 2020 10:08

Being a historian I must say that we simply do not know if the Rolling Stones will be remembered 100 or 200 years from now by a broader audience.Of Course there will always be some aficionados but it could be a very, very small number after those who actually lived through the Stones era (e.g: WE!) hwill have passed away.

History shows that it will me more or less an accident. There were very, very famous people in the past who were forgotten after a generation. And there were others who remained popular. And there were even others who got rediscovered after decades or even centuries of having passed into oblivion. I mean, how much music do we listen to from the 1920s or 1930s? If there are cover versions, yes. But if there are none, who is aware of even the biggest stars from that period?

We even do not know if Elvis Presley will be hugely popular after those who grew up with him have passed away. My children who are in their 20s certainly know of him but I am not aware that they listen to his music. And they have a father who occassionally plays his music…
I do not want to be negative really but this is what history evidence shows.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 3, 2020 12:06

TornAndFried
LazarusSmith
Nikkei
Irix
bv

Spot on.

By 2050 rock music will no longer be a relevant musical force and most artists from the 1960s and 70's who are still popular today - including the Beatles and Stones - will be largely forgotten as their contemporary fans begin to die off.

2050 is only 30 years ahead ...
In the mid 60s (so more than half a Century ago!) "experts" were convinced that Rock n Roll was a soon to die out phenomenon. Ah, here we are 55 odd years down the road. Good music will not die out. Elvis died 43 years ago and he is still "alive and kicking". The Beatles are solid history for 50+ years now and only read the IORR threads cool smiley.
Nah, my guess is that in 2050 there will be all kinds revival events when maybe even your grandchildren may pick up a guitar and play those amazing 20st Century rock n roll songs together with hologram Rolling Stones (and other greats). And the grandchildren of the individual Stones will be special guests ...
smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2020 14:28

georgie48

hologram Rolling Stones

I really truly hope Mick and the guys have put down on paper their will not to ever reincarnate in the form of holograms.
That would be so gross... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: February 3, 2020 14:44

I do believe some artists body of work will be played in concert regularly for ages to come, by scholars and admirers as well as professional ensenbles such as orchestras. Amomg the music I expect to be newly interpreted and still being played for decades at least are the songs of
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Bob Dylan
and to a lesser extent
The Who
David Bowie
The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Prince

I'm not so sure about the Rolling Stones. All of the above mentioned people's work has been performed by "third parties" over the past few years.

Date: February 3, 2020 15:11

jbwelda
>No one will ever hear Paint It Black or Start Me Up in an elevator or a mall.

Well, that is wrong, even today. I heard start me up in I think it was Rite Aid a month or so ago and I just heard JJF in Target or Raleys the other day. And I have heard Paint It Black in the past. People basically don't really get the songs, they just hum the melody. Or maybe its that I am in California.

Now if you want to say "Some Girls", I would have to admit you had me there.

jb

Well that's rather posh, innit? I guess I'm not in those stores enough. I haven't been to Target since 2018.

Date: February 3, 2020 15:12

Rockman
Hell will there still be elevators or malls in 2050 ???

Elevators will be amazing. Malls... there will still be a couple - Minnneeesooootahhh and Florida.

Date: February 3, 2020 15:15

Papo
I do believe some artists body of work will be played in concert regularly for ages to come, by scholars and admirers as well as professional ensenbles such as orchestras. Amomg the music I expect to be newly interpreted and still being played for decades at least are the songs of
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Bob Dylan
and to a lesser extent
The Who
David Bowie
The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Prince

I'm not so sure about the Rolling Stones. All of the above mentioned people's work has been performed by "third parties" over the past few years.

Led Zeppelin...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 3, 2020 15:18

GasLightStreet
Papo
The Beatles
Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Bob Dylan
and to a lesser extent
The Who
David Bowie
The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Prince

Led Zeppelin...

Queen
Elton John

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home