Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Will the Stones ever die?
Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 2, 2020 01:37

I know the title is very grim, but yes. Eventually the members of the greatest band in history will die (except Keith). But that's not what I mean, will the ROLLING STONES ever die? They say you dont really die until your name is spoken for the very last time. So what I'm wondering is, will they ever be forgotten? Will they be taught in school like Bach or Beethoven? They've been dead for 200+ years and everyone knows who they are! As long as I live, they will not die. If they will, when? 50 years? 100 years? 500? 1000???

Re: Will the Stones ever die?
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: February 2, 2020 02:18

I'd like to think they live long enough to celebrate their 60th anniversary with a farewell tour in 2022. It's only 2 years away, it's possible.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 2, 2020 02:34

CJFP
I know the title is very grim, but yes. Eventually the members of the greatest band in history will die (except Keith). But that's not what I mean, will the ROLLING STONES ever die? They say you dont really die until your name is spoken for the very last time. So what I'm wondering is, will they ever be forgotten? Will they be taught in school like Bach or Beethoven? They've been dead for 200+ years and everyone knows who they are! As long as I live, they will not die. If they will, when? 50 years? 100 years? 500? 1000???

Like the great vaudeville acts of the turn of the last century, they too will eventually be nearly completely forgotten.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 02:42

They’re legends. They’re part of music history—of Rock ‘n Roll, R&B....

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 2, 2020 02:54

dey gun be goners

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 2, 2020 03:14

Nikkei
dey gun be goners

Most certainly. As will we all...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 2, 2020 03:41

For better or worse, in 2320 they will be a part of the history of popular music in the 20th century, as will Dylan or the Beatles and many other people. They will certainly not be the musical heroes of the day then, but there is nothing wrong with that. But they might still get a glimpse of limelight in centuries to come, as did e.g. English songwriter and lutist John Dowland when Sting released an album of Dowland covers 400 years after the songs had been written.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 2, 2020 03:44

Eventually they will be a footnote in the great book of life only mentioned in relation to The Beatles who will have an entire chapter written for them.
In the meantime, the Stones are still alive and well -enjoy it while you can. thumbs up

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 04:43

No, but eventually members of the Stones will.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2020 05:03

Wow its a raw heading …..

Will the legend of The Rolling Stones live on ?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 2, 2020 05:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-02 05:51 by Tonstone.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 2, 2020 06:14

CJFP

Do you have to use the word "die"?

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: February 2, 2020 06:40

Cooltoplady
CJFP

Sorry if it's too harsh or too blunt. I guess just "fade" would work.
Do you have to use the word "die"?

Posted by: DeadHead4Ever ()
Date: February 2, 2020 08:38

They will never be taught in school.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 2, 2020 08:54

DeadHead4Ever

I know schools where they're already being taught, as part of "History of popular music" classes and such.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: February 2, 2020 09:00

Aquamarine
DeadHead4Ever

I know schools where they're already being taught, as part of "History of popular music" classes and such.

My history of Rock until 1970 textbook used IORR as the thesis.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: February 2, 2020 09:02

stone4ever
I'd like to think they live long enough to celebrate their 60th anniversary with a farewell tour in 2022. It's only 2 years away, it's possible.

Highly possible. What a way to go outsmileys with beer

75th reunion? Hmmmm, Mick and Keith would be 93ish Charlie would be....95?! wow

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2020 09:06

The Charles Watts School Of Style ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 2, 2020 09:08

They will fade out in the public consciousness. Most great artists do. Then, after a spell, they will rise again and be looked at with fresh eyes. They will be seen as great contributors to the English Musical Movement of the 1960s, second only to the Beatles. They will continue to be the choice of the masses. They will be listened to, and studied, long after we're bones.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 2, 2020 09:32

We all know how it's gonna go:

Date: February 2, 2020 10:46

Don't jinx things.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 2, 2020 12:40

They will live on forever, like the sun and the moon.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 13:06

It's Only Rock and Roll and can never die

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: February 2, 2020 14:57

On this planet... we'll see how things develop. In the afterlife? They have to be on most bands setlists every night (even if Keiths spirit will deem them rubbish ;-).

And seriosuly, no they will have left to many things to remember them for, to ever be forgotten.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 14:59

bv
very well said.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: February 2, 2020 15:21

The 50s 60s freaky musical uprising called Rock and Roll should have been dead already decades ago ... if you believed the then "experts". Our kids and grandkids (and some among us may already have a next spin off) grew up with rock and roll as having always been there (just like Beethoven and stuff). Rock and Roll will be part of musical history for Centuries to come (if we survive global warming among other possible disasters winking smiley) and so will be all the greats, including the Rolling Stones. Guys like Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly and other super talents who died early will be present more dominantly alongside people like Elvis, Chuck Berry, the Beatles, the Stones, etc. than currently, because the longer time proceeds, the more objective music analists will become. We are too much influenced by events that took/take place real time and as such pretty subjective.
So yes, also the Rolling Stones will be well "alive" long long after they've physically gone.
And don't forget ... music (radio waves) travels in time and will be detected lightyears from here in lightyears to come.
smileys with beer

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 2, 2020 18:10

I'm not willing to guess what music people will like in the future, but the band itself will not be forgotten. Given its cultural importance, even the most casual survey of the second half of the 20th Century will mention the music of the era, with specific mention of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Re: Will the legend of The Rolling Stones live on ?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 2, 2020 18:15

bv

And they'll be recited like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin ....

Re: Will the legend of The Rolling Stones live on ?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 2, 2020 18:29

Irix
bv

And they'll be recited like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin ....

I see a flaw in this often repeated assumption. It's always referring to composers, who the interpreters of their works are is neglectable. The Stones, while certainly being composers in their own right, will never have interpreters doing faithful renditions of their works as sheet music. It's all about the recordings and those may or may not fade into distance

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 2, 2020 18:51

"Will the Stones ever die?"

Nah! They sold their soul in 1968 but Satan is afraid to collect his due.
"This lot is too tricky for me... I'll pass!"

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home