Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NOLA Jazzfest Advice Needed
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 23:14

I have never been to a multi-day large music festival. Ideally would like to get to one in Europe for the experience, but I am also getting to an age where the bands at most festivals are not booked with people of my age in mind (DJs and rappers vocalizing over a pre-recorded backing track don't count as bands or live music to me).

I see the lineup of NOLA Jazzfest has a few days with many bands I like or would like to see (generally not the headliners). Considering going and have heard different takes on it. How is the site? How tough is it to get in and out of? Dealing with the elements? Sound or sightline issues? How tough is it to get food or drink? Is the price of a beer more than the GDP of some countries?

Appreciative of any advice.

Re: NOLA Jazzfest Advice Needed
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 31, 2020 23:34

Food and drink will be the least of your worries, many people go to Jazz Fest as much for the food as for the bands! I find it a more manageable fest than many, not least because it ends around 7 each day. Getting in and out can be a bit of an issue, and it's often necessary to find street parking and then walk--many hotels have shuttle buses, though. The weather can be iffy--rain is always possible in NOLA at that time of year, but the show goes on (unless there's dangerous weather). The main drawback for me is that in front of the main stages there are VIP sections that go across the entire area. So if you're not a VIP, even if you're on the rail there are still two sections of VIPs in front of you.

Date: January 31, 2020 23:39

Good info. I experienced my first huge VIP section this past summer. Got to the venue early to ensure I would be right at the stage for the general admission event. Got in and found the closest I could get to the stage was over 100 feet away as they had a huge VIP section. Definite disappointment. Thanks for the info!

Date: January 31, 2020 23:48

Yes, that aspect of it is a bummer, but Jazz Fest overall can be a fun experience, so still worth considering. Plus there are stages like the blues tent where the VIP thing doesn't apply. I guess it all depends what you want from it, really.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: February 1, 2020 01:28

I attended last years NOLA Jazzfest and really enjoyed it, there were at least half a dozen stages with all kinds of different music being performed all day so I never found myself bored and just waiting for the headliners. The crowd was one of the most diverse age mix festival audiences i've seen, and I think they book acts keeping all age ranges in mind. Surprisingly one of the few moans with my experience was the food and drink, while the quality of the food was fine with a decent amount of choice of local cuisine (and the lines weren't anything unusual) the serving sizes were unusually small and overpriced for what they were in my opinion. However my main complaint was the terrible portable toilets on site, having attended festivals in the UK, Australia and now the US, NOLA Jazzfest had the worst facilities i've ever seen at a festival, very unclean and I did not see any place to properly wash your hands after, only hand sanitizer stations outside. If I were to do Jazzfest again i'd look into the VIP tickets to see if that improved my experience.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 1, 2020 07:42

buffalo7478
I have never been to a multi-day large music festival. Ideally would like to get to one in Europe for the experience, but I am also getting to an age where the bands at most festivals are not booked with people of my age in mind (DJs and rappers vocalizing over a pre-recorded backing track don't count as bands or live music to me).

I see the lineup of NOLA Jazzfest has a few days with many bands I like or would like to see (generally not the headliners). Considering going and have heard different takes on it. How is the site? How tough is it to get in and out of? Dealing with the elements? Sound or sightline issues? How tough is it to get food or drink? Is the price of a beer more than the GDP of some countries?

I've been to a few prior to the hurricane. Best bet from then was to buy a round trip bus ticket which included entrance to the event. Buses will drop you right at the gate. We usually would catch them at the Superdome or at the Hard Rock Cafe. There will be a list of locations. They run non-stop during the event every half hour or so. You will be coming in late April early May after wintering up north with no sun, so either buy a nice Panama Jack hat at the French Market or bring one. You will need it and it can be very hot so lotion up or get burned. One year I went it rained 5 inches in few hours and it became a mud bowl. Do check out the Gospel Tent for a moving experience. Food at the festival is set up in stands like street festivals. Wander around check out the different stages. Plan your music from the schedule brochure. At night, Bourbon St. is where the action is. Get your fill of oysters early. Hit the Cafe du Monde in the French Market for breakfast.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2020 10:38

buffalo7478
I have never been to a multi-day large music festival. Ideally would like to get to one in Europe for the experience

If you're into metal/heavy music Hellfest is for you!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 1, 2020 16:50

The Sicilian
buffalo7478

I've been to a few prior to the hurricane.

Which one? There have been several!

Date: February 1, 2020 16:56

ChrisMahavishnu
I attended last years NOLA Jazzfest and really enjoyed it, there were at least half a dozen stages with all kinds of different music being performed all day so I never found myself bored and just waiting for the headliners. The crowd was one of the most diverse age mix festival audiences i've seen, and I think they book acts keeping all age ranges in mind. Surprisingly one of the few moans with my experience was the food and drink, while the quality of the food was fine with a decent amount of choice of local cuisine (and the lines weren't anything unusual) the serving sizes were unusually small and overpriced for what they were in my opinion. However my main complaint was the terrible portable toilets on site, having attended festivals in the UK, Australia and now the US, NOLA Jazzfest had the worst facilities i've ever seen at a festival, very unclean and I did not see any place to properly wash your hands after, only hand sanitizer stations outside. If I were to do Jazzfest again i'd look into the VIP tickets to see if that improved my experience.

The Grandstand has bathrooms (and air conditioning) as well as the seating area for watching horse races that is a good spot to take a break if needed. There's also music in the coral.

The food portions - as expensive as some of the food is, keep in mind those vendors pay a TON of money to be there. I would think that has an influence on how much they give away.

The portolets, eh, New Orleans is a funky place. Sanitary and New Orleans are never said together.

Date: February 1, 2020 17:00

The Sicilian
buffalo7478

I've been to a few prior to the hurricane. Best bet from then was to buy a round trip bus ticket which included entrance to the event. Buses will drop you right at the gate. We usually would catch them at the Superdome or at the Hard Rock Cafe. There will be a list of locations. They run non-stop during the event every half hour or so. You will be coming in late April early May after wintering up north with no sun, so either buy a nice Panama Jack hat at the French Market or bring one. You will need it and it can be very hot so lotion up or get burned. One year I went it rained 5 inches in few hours and it became a mud bowl. Do check out the Gospel Tent for a moving experience. Food at the festival is set up in stands like street festivals. Wander around check out the different stages. Plan your music from the schedule brochure. At night, Bourbon St. is where the action is. Get your fill of oysters early. Hit the Cafe du Monde in the French Market for breakfast.

That bit in bold is to be ignored: the "action" is simplistic: people getting drunk and puking, getting robbed or stabbed or shot, all while paying higher than airport costs for shitty drinks that are either watered down or too spicy or just plain suck, like the vomit inducing hurricane.

There are plenty of other places to go. Bourbon St is to be avoided at all costs.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 1, 2020 18:12

The Frenchman Street area is the place to be for late night shows.

Date: February 1, 2020 18:28

Frenchmen St's scene has changed to the point that it's not where a lot of locals go anymore, it's been Bourbon Streeted. But there are still some good venues there for music - dba is one of them.

Date: February 1, 2020 20:42

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
buffalo7478

That bit in bold is to be ignored: the "action" is simplistic: people getting drunk and puking, getting robbed or stabbed or shot, all while paying higher than airport costs for shitty drinks that are either watered down or too spicy or just plain suck, like the vomit inducing hurricane.

There are plenty of other places to go. Bourbon St is to be avoided at all costs.

You mean New Orleans hasn't been gentrified yet?

I'm sure you know the place well, but you can't visit NO without hitting Bourbon St. Thousands of brave souls do. Not everyone goes there to get hammered. I wouldn't wander into the side streets but you have to use good judgement. Whenever I went there it was with someone who knew their way around. Exploring is best done in the afternoon.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 1, 2020 22:50

GasLightStreet
Frenchmen St's scene has changed to the point that it's not where a lot of locals go anymore, it's been Bourbon Streeted. But there are still some good venues there for music - dba is one of them.

I hear you. My friends that live in NOLA have said the same thing.

But during Jazzfest, seems like most of the good late night shows are in the Frenchman St. area. Maison is also a good venue, if its not too crowded.

Have heard the French Quarter Fest is also a good time to visit.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 3, 2020 04:57

Fest is at a horse racing track and features 12 stages spread all over the grounds. The food is excellent (hmmm... crawfish Monica). Check out local acts on the big stages early in the day and in the tents. Forget the VIP scene. Be among the people in the mud and stink and rain. Just prepare for whatever's thrown your way and don't whine. Avoid scuzzy Bourbon Street. See live music at night all over town.

Date: February 3, 2020 05:59

spikenyc
GasLightStreet

I hear you. My friends that live in NOLA have said the same thing.

But during Jazzfest, seems like most of the good late night shows are in the Frenchman St. area. Maison is also a good venue, if its not too crowded.

Have heard the French Quarter Fest is also a good time to visit.

When I lived in the French Quarter I loved the FQFest. I've been back a few times recently but it's gotten extremely popular and crowded. It's become the appetizer for Jazz Fest - some artists play Jazz Fest, same with the food vendors.

FQF, regardless of it gotten so big, is still the better bet regarding ambience - you can take a break and go anywhere.

Date: February 3, 2020 06:05

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
buffalo7478

You mean New Orleans hasn't been gentrified yet?

I'm sure you know the place well, but you can't visit NO without hitting Bourbon St. Thousands of brave souls do. Not everyone goes there to get hammered. I wouldn't wander into the side streets but you have to use good judgement. Whenever I went there it was with someone who knew their way around. Exploring is best done in the afternoon.

A lot of locals have bitched about NO being gentrified yet do nothing about it. Which is slightly interesting considering a water bill now is a third of a house note. Too many problems quagging the city.

I know plenty of people that visit and never go to Bourbon Street. Only some of the side streets are a problem around 2AM or so... especially during certain times of the year.

Date: February 3, 2020 06:06

ab
Be among the people in the mud and stink and rain. Just prepare for whatever's thrown your way and don't whine. Avoid scuzzy Bourbon Street.

Great advice, eye rolling smiley tourists love Bourbon Street. After spending the day at the music festival who wants to sit in a club watching more music and hipsters? Time to party, bar hop and people watch.

Date: February 3, 2020 06:26

The Sicilian
ab
Be among the people in the mud and stink and rain. Just prepare for whatever's thrown your way and don't whine. Avoid scuzzy Bourbon Street.

Great advice, eye rolling smiley tourists love Bourbon Street. After spending the day at the music festival who wants to sit in a club watching more music and hipsters? Time to party, bar hop and people watch.

You need to get out more. During Jazz Fest the night time shows are huge and some go on until sunrise. People love live music in New Orleans.

Bourbon St is not what you think.

Date: February 3, 2020 07:09

GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
ab

You need to get out more. During Jazz Fest the night time shows are huge and some go on until sunrise. People love live music in New Orleans.

What is it then? Is it that bad? So if all the tourists avoid Bourbon then where are they going? I haven't been there in quite a while, but I have visited many times. It was always packed, lots of cops, drunks, and shady people too. Look, I didn't grow up on a farm or in the suburbs, I come from the inner city. I see things from a different perspective. I think I understand what you're trying to say.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 3, 2020 07:28

….drink plenty of water ….

ROCKMAN

Date: February 3, 2020 15:42

The Sicilian
GasLightStreet
The Sicilian
ab

What is it then? Is it that bad? So if all the tourists avoid Bourbon then where are they going? I haven't been there in quite a while, but I have visited many times. It was always packed, lots of cops, drunks, and shady people too. Look, I didn't grow up on a farm or in the suburbs, I come from the inner city. I see things from a different perspective. I think I understand what you're trying to say.

Bourbon St is usually packed with tourons, not people in town for music, although some probably do go to Bourbon. Bourbon gets shown on TV during Saints games because it generally has people. There are other places that are shown but Bourbon gets it the most. Seems to be some kind of silly standard. Watch a Bears game and there will inevitably be a shot or two of Rush St. However, it's an assumptive thing that people going to New Orleans flock to Bourbon St - they don't.

Anyone going to New Orleans for a reason does not go to Bourbon St (unless, of course, they feel like it). They are either told by friends not to go or maybe they went one time and realized how stupid it is.

The part that's funny about it is the lower part of Bourbon is the busy part. The first 3 or 4 blocks have restaurants and is loaded with all kinds of bars. The further up you go it changes a little bit - less restaurants, more t-shirt shops, bars. Just below middle Bourbon, lower Bourbon starts to get into what is locally known as the Fruit Loop. Just past all of that it's mostly residential and quiet.

Duval St in Key West is similar. People say "AVOID LOWER DUVAL, IT'S JUST BOURBON STREET!!!", to which, naturally, I had to see what the fuss was all about because of the comparison. It is similar in terms of "the action"... but I found it amusingly charming. There's nothing sinister to lower Duval as there is to lower Bourbon. But it has the same deal - it's not Key West and there's plenty of other places to go and see.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 3, 2020 18:42

I was there last year with my wife. No worries at all - great place. Book a hotel, rent a car, you can park most places for free if you do not mind walking a few 100 meters.

Getting in and out was quick - no big waiting-line. Lots of eating places, selling drinks - both cash and card. Toilet facilities also good.

They have 2 big indoor places with music where you can sit down. Buddy Guy played indoors. The Stages are well distributed and not to far to walk and the sound from the different stages doesn't disturb one or the other act.

We were lucky - only one day raining. The weather is the only worry. If it poors down every day, it is not funny - it will messy. But that counts for all festivals

Date: February 4, 2020 01:48

Speaking of the weather, I was there the year after Katrina (the whole festival area had been under about ten feet of water) and the weather was nice, except it started to rain just as Robert Plant was singing When the Levee Breaks--that was a chilling moment.

Date: February 4, 2020 03:42

I worked in a restaurant in the late 1990s. It was a lot of fun.

However, one thing I noticed about tourists vs locals was... tourists asked for bottled water because they didn't trust the tap water, yet drank sweet tea, coffee, ate the bread and all the meals.

I nor anyone else bothered to point out to them that everything but the bottled water was made with Mississippi River water.

Bottled water in New Orleans (and throughout Louisiana, Mississippi and most likely Alabama and parts of Florida) is generally Abita and Kentwood, in terms of local, and it's all bottled in... Atlanta, GA.

Which means... it's Atlanta tap water.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 4, 2020 05:43

Aquamarine
Speaking of the weather, I was there the year after Katrina (the whole festival area had been under about ten feet of water) and the weather was nice, except it started to rain just as Robert Plant was singing When the Levee Breaks--that was a chilling moment.

I had the opposite experience. In 2013, it rained for five days straight from first weekend Sunday to second weekend Thursday. Then Patti Smith hit the Gentilly Stage, stepped to the front of the stage, and gazed out at the crowd in the mud, with her arms out front palms up. The rain stopped within a few minutes. And her set was epic.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 4, 2020 16:11

The food , the music , the people ! What's not to love ? and it doesn't even have to be Jazz Fest as the Crescent City is a wonder 365 days a year !

Date: February 4, 2020 16:37

Thanks for the amazing advice! I got a lot out of this! Love this site!

Have been to NOLA once, spent 5 minutes on Bourbon St then headed to Frnchman's St and to The Maple Leaf. Esp thanks for the bus info. Last thing I want to deal with driving and parking and then driving back to a hotel after what will hopefully be a long day.

I have friends that are going to FQF and sing its praises as more fun/more authentic than Jazzfest...I just cannot make it that weekend.

Kind of a 'bucket list' item to et to some large multi-day festivals. Hoping to start with this one.Thanks for all the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1935
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home