Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Tattoo You Side 2 vs. Talk Is Cheap Side 2
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 11, 2020 09:51

Spud
lem motlow
... music that sounds like it was recorded through a fish tank filter doesn’t make it authentic.
The thread should have been Keith’s solo album compared to The Voodoo Lounge outtakes (and it still would lose, Charlie was owning that shit)

Do you think TIC is really that bad...?

Maybe its not the work of genius that some radical Keith disciples would have it...but It's a good album , with a really good sound to my ears.

It's not the Rolling Stones . It's different ....which is really rather the point isn't it ?

I know- and to be fair I hate all the Stones solo albums equally.i own them all and pick out the songs, there was the Great Stones single that got wasted-that’s the great Keith song that won’t be on a Stones album.
It’s pretty good music in the grand scheme of things but compared to an actual release by the band?
It’s like comparing side two of Ride a Rock Horse to a side of Who’s Next.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2020 09:58

Ride a Rock Horse ……
ooooowwww yeah that was a bad one …. crap cover too

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 11, 2020 10:17

dcba
liddas
Surprised to read how many do not like Steve Jordan's drumming and drum sound.

Love it.

The interaction between him and Keith is truly incredible. It is the main ingredient that makes the Winos a completely different beast than the Stones

Yeah the Winos have a "musicians' musician" side to their music that limits their appeal imo. Otoh the tones' grandness is universal.

And the interaction aka "groove locking" between Keef and Jordan is the reason why MO was full of grooves that pretended to be songs. How many true songs there are on MO : "999" "Wicked" and "Demon"?

Your forgot to mention the higlight of MO: "Hate It When You Leave". I also had to get used to the drumming on that one, though. It's not so much the style or even the sound, but how loud it is in the final mix. But at least in this particular song I have come to like it.

I don't like Big Enough, because 1) the sound is not funky 2) Keith cannot sing funk. You need a loud, powerful, "round" voice for that. For the same reason you don't want Tom Waits to sing Papa's Got A Brand New Bag, for example. 3) Actually, I don't really much like funk anyway.

Date: February 11, 2020 10:34

matxil
dcba
liddas
Surprised to read how many do not like Steve Jordan's drumming and drum sound.

Love it.

The interaction between him and Keith is truly incredible. It is the main ingredient that makes the Winos a completely different beast than the Stones

Yeah the Winos have a "musicians' musician" side to their music that limits their appeal imo. Otoh the tones' grandness is universal.

And the interaction aka "groove locking" between Keef and Jordan is the reason why MO was full of grooves that pretended to be songs. How many true songs there are on MO : "999" "Wicked" and "Demon"?

Your forgot to mention the higlight of MO: "Hate It When You Leave". I also had to get used to the drumming on that one, though. It's not so much the style or even the sound, but how loud it is in the final mix. But at least in this particular song I have come to like it.

I don't like Big Enough, because 1) the sound is not funky 2) Keith cannot sing funk. You need a loud, powerful, "round" voice for that. For the same reason you don't want Tom Waits to sing Papa's Got A Brand New Bag, for example. 3) Actually, I don't really much like funk anyway.

Of course he can. And BE really got new life on the road, where he developed the melody line in the verses. Made it an even stronger tune, imo.

Starts at 4:02

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 11, 2020 11:01

DandelionPowderman

Of course he can. And BE really got new life on the road, where he developed the melody line in the verses. Made it an even stronger tune, imo.

Nice link and they are great live, but still, BE does not convince me.
But it's okay, we all need a pee break during concert. With the Stones, it's during Angie.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 11, 2020 11:06

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Nice link and they are great live, but still, BE does not convince me.
But it's okay, we all need a pee break during concert. With the Stones, it's during Angie.

Thank god my prostate is still working well …

C

Date: February 11, 2020 11:08

grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 11, 2020 21:32

lem motlow
Elmo Lewis
lem motlow
Another classic IORR thread -discussing whether a bunch of Keith demos done with hack studio musicians is as good as a side of one of the best albums ever released by the greatest rock and roll band ever.
How many of you actually saw the fckng New Barbarians? I’m guessing not many.
I went to high school with a guy who played drums in bars on the weekend that was a better drummer than Steve Jordan.
Yeah,this is classic stuff- when I think of the greats it’s always Beck, Page , Clapton,Hendrix, Van Halen ,,, Wachtel.
Absolutely needs to be mentioned in the same breath as one of rocks greatest albums.

I saw the New Barbarians - and started this thread. eye popping smiley

And you’re admitting that? You saw Zig and Stanley Clark with Keith and I’m assuming you’ve seen Him with Bill and Charlie and somehow this pose fest comes off as something classic to you?
Being a cool looking black dude with his arm around Keith doesn’t make someone a great musician and music that sounds like it was recorded through a fish tank filter doesn’t make it authentic.
The thread should have been Keith’s solo album compared to The Voodoo Lounge outtakes (and it still would lose, Charlie was owning that shit)
I would expect more out of someone with enough knowledge of the music to have Elmo Lewis as a username.

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Obviously. Lem. you've been taste testing a little too much Tennessee whiskey. Cool nickname, though. drinking smiley

To each his own per musical taste.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home