Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Tattoo You Side 2 vs. Talk Is Cheap Side 2
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2020 20:08

If we're talking great album sides, you need to go to Sticky Fingers, side 2. Or side 1 for that matter. Or any side of Beggar's ... Or Let It Bleed.

Neither of these albums/side2 are even in the same ballpark.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2020 20:24

LeonidP
If we're talking great album sides, you need to go to Sticky Fingers, side 2. Or side 1 for that matter. Or any side of Beggar's ... Or Let It Bleed.

For the sake of argument, I disagree. smiling smiley

I think the context has to be taken in to consideration - at the time of Tattoo You's release, I was 18 and preparing to see my first Stones shows.
I wore the album out completely prior to and after the concerts, and it was ingrained in my brain forever. The memories attached are priceless, and it all goes beyond the music itself.
When those other albums came out, I didn't have the same experience as I was too young.

BUT... if I had to look at it objectively and without any sentimentality, I think you're right - those albums are truly the greatest (as is Exile), and the music is indeed superior to the music contained on Tattoo You.
No argument there. smiling smiley

It's safe to say though - at least in my opinion - Tattoo You was the last truly great Stones album for a variety of reasons (musically, cohesiveness, etc.).
And no matter how you compare, as a whole it's better than Keith's Talk is Cheap, which most would agree is really the last great Stones related album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 20:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 4, 2020 20:33

Hairball
LeonidP

I think the context has to be taken in to consideration - at the time of Tattoo You's release, I was 18 and preparing to see my first Stones shows.
I wore the album out completely prior to and after the concerts, and it was ingrained in my brain forever. The memories attached are priceless, and it all goes beyond the music itself.
When those other albums came out, I didn't have the same experience as I was too young.

BUT... if I had to look at it objectively and without any sentimentality, I think you're right - those albums are truly the greatest (as is Exile), and the music is indeed superior to the music contained on Tattoo You.
No argument there. smiling smiley

It's safe to say though - at least in my opinion - Tattoo You was the last truly great Stones album for a variety of reasons (musically, cohesiveness, etc.).
And no matter how you compare, as a whole it's better than Keith's Talk is Cheap, which most would agree is really the last great Stones related album.

I certainly disagree. TIC was fine to hear when it was published. Afterwards it has just faded away. And it was actually quite a shock to hear that it was as weak as it was, when it was reissued as deluxe. To my ears Wandering Spirit and Goddess has aged far better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 22:50 by GetYerAngie.

Date: February 4, 2020 20:57

GetYerAngie
I certain disagree. TIC was fine to hear when it was published. Afterwards it has just faded away. And it was actually quite a shock to hear that it was as weak as was, when it was reissued as deluxe. To my ears Wandering Spirit and Goddess has aged far better.

Something went haywire with the quoting in your post above GetYerAngie, so just needed to isolate your quote (like a virus) as I would never want it associated with my name.

Date: February 4, 2020 21:39

Hairball
LeonidP

I think the context has to be taken in to consideration - ...

Even in context, there's still no comparison. TY, a very good album. As much as I love songs like Worried About You and Heaven (the others from side 2 are either just "good", or "so-so" for me) even those are not in the same ballpark as tracks from Sticky or Beggars.

I mean, as an example, if you have a choice between I Got The Blues and No Use In Crying, would you seriously consider the latter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-04 21:41 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 4, 2020 21:41

LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

Even in context, there's still no comparison. TY, a very good album. As much as I love songs like Worried About You and Heaven (the others from side 2 are either just "good", or "so-so" for me) even those are not in the same ballpark as tracks from Sticky or Beggars.

No argument here, but we're discussing these 2. Sticky and LIB are both nearly perfect - no real losers on either.

Date: February 4, 2020 21:45

Elmo Lewis
LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

No argument here, but we're discussing these 2. Sticky and LIB are both nearly perfect - no real losers on either.

Understood! I was just bringing up others as some are making statements such as TY side 2 being the all time greatest side ever by the Stones -- I can't let that go!!

... back to Hairball, yes, I do see your 'context' point more now that I think of my own context ... Some Girls was my first Stones, and I put that as my #5 Stones album, but I often see others that don't think much of it.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 4, 2020 22:10

Hairball
GetYerAngie
I certain disagree. TIC was fine to hear when it was published. Afterwards it has just faded away. And it was actually quite a shock to hear that it was as weak as was, when it was reissued as deluxe. To my ears Wandering Spirit and Goddess has aged far better.

Something went haywire with the quoting in your post above GetYerAngie, so just needed to isolate your quote (like a virus) as I would never want it associated with my name.

And what exactly do you mean by that?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 4, 2020 22:24

GetYerAngie
it was actually quite a shock to hear that it was as weak as was, when it was reissued as deluxe.

Yup this botched silly reissue was the death knell for the album.
"But the wooden box was nice!!!!" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 4, 2020 23:02

GetYerAngie
Hairball
GetYerAngie

Hairball, I got the same issue. Thanks for isolating

Date: February 5, 2020 00:11

LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

I mean, as an example, if you have a choice between I Got The Blues and No Use In Crying, would you seriously consider the latter?

Yeah that's a tough choice for me- I love No Use in Crying and think it ranks amongst their best ever (seriously)- to put it one on one against I Got the Blues would be tough!
But not sure why you edited out and ignored the rest of my post as I clearly clarified everything!

"BUT... if I had to look at it objectively and without any sentimentality, I think you're right - those albums are truly the greatest (as is Exile),
and the music is indeed superior to the music contained on Tattoo You. No argument there".

And I even added a smiley face, so there you have it - when pitting those albums as a whole against Tattoo You, we agree!

GetYerAngie
Hairball
GetYerAngie

Certainly nothing personal - was just referring to the parts where you say Talk is Cheap is weak, and the blasphemous thought that Wandering Spirit and Goddess are better than Talk is Cheap.
Again, the quoting thing made it look like I said that, so wanted to clear it up - I don't ever want to be associated with saying any of that nonsense!

PS - I see now that you've since edited your earlier reply and fixed the quote, so much ado about nothing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-05 00:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2020 00:49

Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

Yeah that's a tough choice for me- I love No Use in Crying and think it ranks amongst their best ever (seriously)- to put it one on one against I Got the Blues would be tough!
But not sure why you edited out and ignored the rest of my post as I clearly clarified everything!

"BUT... if I had to look at it objectively and without any sentimentality, I think you're right - those albums are truly the greatest (as is Exile),
and the music is indeed superior to the music contained on Tattoo You. No argument there".

And I even added a smiley face, so there you have it - when pitting those albums as a whole against Tattoo You, we agree!

GetYerAngie
Hairball
GetYerAngie

Certainly nothing personal - was just referring to the parts where you say Talk is Cheap is weak, and the blasphemous thought that Wandering Spirit and Goddess are better than Talk is Cheap.
Again, the quoting thing made it look like I said that, so wanted to clear it up - I don't ever want to be associated with saying any of that nonsense!

PS - I see now that you've since edited your earlier reply and fixed the quote, so much ado about nothing.

Well Goddess may not be better, but come on, Wandering Spirit is. Shirley (that's right, I just called you Shirley) you agree with that?!

Come on, you strike me as a man of wealth and taste!

Date: February 5, 2020 01:19

To put it simply treaclefingers and without quoting a giant pyramid - the answer is NO.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 5, 2020 01:20

Hairball
To put it simply treaclefingers and without quoting a giant pyramid - the answer is NO.

gutted Shirley...just gutted!

Date: February 5, 2020 01:21

treaclefingers
Hairball

gutted Shirley...just gutted!

Shirley you shouldn't be!

Date: February 5, 2020 03:30

Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

And I even added a smiley face, so there you have it - when pitting those albums as a whole against Tattoo You, we agree!...

Sorry! I edited out because it was all I read, I was commenting on the first part -- I tend to browse at work and don't normally read entire posts!

Date: February 5, 2020 04:25

LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP
Hairball
LeonidP

And I even added a smiley face, so there you have it - when pitting those albums as a whole against Tattoo You, we agree!...

Sorry! I edited out because it was all I read, I was commenting on the first part -- I tend to browse at work and don't normally read entire posts!

In that case, all I see is "sorry" and the rest of your post is meaningless. winking smiley Apology accepted lol...

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 5, 2020 07:40

Besides ‘Waiting on Keith’ side 2 of TY is no better than either side of Goat’s Head – overall TY is way overrated. But Keith is a bum singer so while TIC will always be the best solo effort by a Stone (it baffles the hell out of me that so many people gush over Wandering Spirit - I tend to think they have low IQs) it’s hard to understand why this thread was started.

Having said that, if one were to replace ‘Whip It Up’ and ‘It Means A Lot’ with TISH and ‘Make No Mistake’ side 2 of TIC would be supreme quality.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 5, 2020 10:47

LeonidP

Tough call, they are both very good.
But No Use In Crying is definitely more fun. Mick Jagger is having a ball on that one. Also, the rhythm and the guitar-licks are more interesting on No Use In Crying, so I think overall I would listen to that one first. But, I Got The Blues is a pleasure to listen to, sure.

Date: February 5, 2020 10:55

Swayed1967
Besides ‘Waiting on Keith’ side 2 of TY is no better than either side of Goat’s Head – overall TY is way overrated. But Keith is a bum singer so while TIC will always be the best solo effort by a Stone (it baffles the hell out of me that so many people gush over Wandering Spirit - I tend to think they have low IQs) it’s hard to understand why this thread was started.

Having said that, if one were to replace ‘Whip It Up’ and ‘It Means A Lot’ with TISH and ‘Make No Mistake’ side 2 of TIC would be supreme quality.

Mick without Keith and Charlie: you get some good melodies but bad groove-less rockers with lousy guitars, and a lot of fake-emotional ballads. Wandering Spirit becomes unlistenable because of that.
Keith without Mick and Charlie: you get some good - sometimes great - soul ballads, not so good drums, and mediocre rockers where the guitars are good but the voice mostly isn't adequate. Keith's solo albums, as long as you don't expect greatly sung rock songs, have genuine gems and a number of absolute misses (especially the failed attempts at funk).

Waiting On A Friend is one of the best things the Stones ever did, and certainly better than most on Goat's Head Soup. All in all, Tattoo You is of the same level as Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed and Exile, and Sticky Fingers (the latter I always find the least fantastic of those 5). The weakest link on TY is Hang Fire, but, oh well.

Date: February 5, 2020 12:12

matxil

Mick without Keith and Charlie: you get some good melodies but bad groove-less rockers with lousy guitars, and a lot of fake-emotional ballads. Wandering Spirit becomes unlistenable because of that.
Keith without Mick and Charlie: you get some good - sometimes great - soul ballads, not so good drums, and mediocre rockers where the guitars are good but the voice mostly isn't adequate. Keith's solo albums, as long as you don't expect greatly sung rock songs, have genuine gems and a number of absolute misses (especially the failed attempts at funk).

thumbs up

Date: February 5, 2020 15:16

Swayed1967

Errr, this thread was started because I (and apparently lots of other people) love these albums.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2020 15:20

dcba
matxil

thumbs up

Yes, the failed attempt at funk (Big Enough) was so bad even Bootsie and Maceo couldn't save it. BE and "Struggle" are the reasons Side 2 is better, IMHO.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2020 17:46

Elmo Lewis
dcba
matxil

thumbs up

Yes, the failed attempt at funk (Big Enough) was so bad even Bootsie and Maceo couldn't save it. BE and "Struggle" are the reasons Side 2 is better, IMHO.

Yes. And I consider "Body Talks" as "funk" (I don't know what it is really), so that was the other failed attempt I had in mind.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 5, 2020 18:10

Surprised to read how many do not like Steve Jordan's drumming and drum sound.

Love it.

The interaction between him and Keith is truly incredible. It is the main ingredient that makes the Winos a completely different beast than the Stones despite the fact that the two bands have in common a large chunk of DNA.

Also surprised to see Big Enough criticized. It's an outstanding album opener. It doesn't resemble JB's funk style? So what? It is what it is, and it sounds great.

C

Date: February 5, 2020 18:29

liddas

Love it.

The interaction between him and Keith is truly incredible. It is the main ingredient that makes the Winos a completely different beast than the Stones

Yeah the Winos have a "musicians' musician" side to their music that limits their appeal imo. Otoh the tones' grandness is universal.

And the interaction aka "groove locking" between Keef and Jordan is the reason why MO was full of grooves that pretended to be songs. How many true songs there are on MO : "999" "Wicked" and "Demon"?

Date: February 5, 2020 18:43

liddas

Love it.

The interaction between him and Keith is truly incredible. It is the main ingredient that makes the Winos a completely different beast than the Stones despite the fact that the two bands have in common a large chunk of DNA.

Also surprised to see Big Enough criticized. It's an outstanding album opener. It doesn't resemble JB's funk style? So what? It is what it is, and it sounds great.

C

Agreed.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 5, 2020 18:52

dcba

And the interaction aka "groove locking" between Keef and Jordan is the reason why MO was full of grooves that pretended to be songs. How many true songs there are on MO : "999" "Wicked" and "Demon"?

I would add Eileen, Yap Yap and Hate it when you leave. And probably Words of Wonder too.

But why consider the rest "grooves that pretended to be songs", and not "grooves that are songs"?

Even without considering James Brown, how many great groves that are great songs have the stones recorded?

What's the difference between Miss You, Hot Stuff, Fingerprint File, Slave, just to name a few, and Body Talks?

C

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 11, 2020 09:03

Elmo Lewis
lem motlow
Another classic IORR thread -discussing whether a bunch of Keith demos done with hack studio musicians is as good as a side of one of the best albums ever released by the greatest rock and roll band ever.
How many of you actually saw the fckng New Barbarians? I’m guessing not many.
I went to high school with a guy who played drums in bars on the weekend that was a better drummer than Steve Jordan.
Yeah,this is classic stuff- when I think of the greats it’s always Beck, Page , Clapton,Hendrix, Van Halen ,,, Wachtel.
Absolutely needs to be mentioned in the same breath as one of rocks greatest albums.

I saw the New Barbarians - and started this thread. eye popping smiley

And you’re admitting that? You saw Zig and Stanley Clark with Keith and I’m assuming you’ve seen Him with Bill and Charlie and somehow this pose fest comes off as something classic to you?
Being a cool looking black dude with his arm around Keith doesn’t make someone a great musician and music that sounds like it was recorded through a fish tank filter doesn’t make it authentic.
The thread should have been Keith’s solo album compared to The Voodoo Lounge outtakes (and it still would lose, Charlie was owning that shit)
I would expect more out of someone with enough knowledge of the music to have Elmo Lewis as a username.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 11, 2020 09:25

lem motlow
... music that sounds like it was recorded through a fish tank filter doesn’t make it authentic.
The thread should have been Keith’s solo album compared to The Voodoo Lounge outtakes (and it still would lose, Charlie was owning that shit)

Do you think TIC is really that bad...?

Maybe its not the work of genius that some radical Keith disciples would have it...but It's a good album , with a really good sound to my ears.

It's not the Rolling Stones . It's different ....which is really rather the point isn't it ?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home