Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Tattoo You Side 2 vs. Talk Is Cheap Side 2
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2020 19:56

Worried About You
Tops
Heaven
No Use In Crying
Waiting On A Friend

vs.

How I Wish
Rockawhile
Whip It Up
Locked Away
It Means A Lot

TY2 is sublime balladry. I love the Stones in this mood/mode. Fantastic stuff. No Use In Crying may be their most underrated song.

TIC2 shows Keith's versitility with 3 rockers, a groove, and an acoustic ballad. How U Wish was most excellent on the TIC tour. Keith really enjoyed playing it. All smiles. Would have loved to have heard Mick sing Locked Away.

Which is better? Depends on the weather. Both are 5 stars, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

Re: Tattoo You Side 2 vs. Talk Is Cheap Side 2
Date: January 30, 2020 20:12

I'm with you all the way - both are excellent. However, I would place Rockawhile in the groove category as well smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 30, 2020 20:53

All these comparisons... I think about starting a thread comparing the b-side of their 3rd single with the complete a-side of the vinyl edition of their as yet unreleased new album once it gets released... dare I?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 30, 2020 21:39

Elmo Lewis
Worried About You
Tops
Heaven
No Use In Crying
Waiting On A Friend

vs.

How I Wish
Rockawhile
Whip It Up
Locked Away
It Means A Lot

TY2 is sublime balladry. I love the Stones in this mood/mode. Fantastic stuff. No Use In Crying may be their most underrated song.

TIC2 shows Keith's versitility with 3 rockers, a groove, and an acoustic ballad. How U Wish was most excellent on the TIC tour. Keith really enjoyed playing it. All smiles. Would have loved to have heard Mick sing Locked Away.

Which is better? Depends on the weather. Both are 5 stars, IMHO.

Your thoughts?

I love all the songs you listed, but couldn't tag one list as better than the other. The underlying futility of these comparisons is that the entire Rolling Stones catalog is underrated, including the big 4. It's a great problem, though.

Date: January 30, 2020 22:09

IMO Side 2 of TIC is one of the weaker sides in Keith's catalog. "How I Wish" is one of his best solo songs, and "Locked Away" is the distant cousin of "Lost & Lonely".
But the other 3 cuts are a bit wandering. "It means a lot" is a song that works only with Keith singing it. "Whip it up" is not too good. It surprised me when Keith chose to play it at some award show.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 30, 2020 23:11

Yeah I remember that live "Whip it Up", great version. Never got into Heaven(ain't trying haha) both musically and lyrically and for that reason TIC easily takes this match IMO.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 31, 2020 00:59

I'm not sure, but listening to side 2 of TY and then TIC and drinking a few beers sounds like an excellent way to unwind after a long week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 01:01 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 31, 2020 01:41

All of Tattoo You combined with all of Talk is Cheap would have made an excellent double album. smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2020 03:13

Both are great. For their own reasons.

As much as I love Keith's - Locked Away is exceptional, it's TATTOO YOU for me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 31, 2020 03:41

All solo albums by the group members fall far short of the former chemistry of the band itself. I never find myself hankering to listen to a solo cut. (Except for Bill's 'Je Suis un Rockstar' A guilty pleasure, and it's totally different from the Stones.) My favorite non-Stones Mick is 'Warring People' with Super Heavy, which is also a group effort. Even 'Take It So Hard' is a Stones B side at best.

Date: January 31, 2020 09:37

<Even 'Take It So Hard' is a Stones B side at best.>

Obviously, the Stones didn't think so, as they released a single the year after that was suspiciously similar (Mixed Emotions).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 31, 2020 09:54

Hairball
All of Tattoo You combined with all of Talk is Cheap would have made an excellent double album. smiling smiley

thumbs up ...and i add the great Stones album with the best songs of Wandering Spirit and Main Offender!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:03

"Worried About You" 10 out of 10
"Tops" 10 out of 10
"Heaven" 10 out of 10
"No Use In Crying" 10 out of 10
"Waiting On A Friend" 10 out of 10

vs.

"How I Wish" 10 out of 10
"Rockawhile" 10 out of 10
"Whip It Up" 8 out of 10
"Locked Away" 10 out of 10
"It Means A Lot" 10 out of 10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 10:04 by matxil.

Date: January 31, 2020 15:18

ryanpow
I'm not sure, but listening to side 2 of TY and then TIC and drinking a few beers sounds like an excellent way to unwind after a long week.

smileys with beerdrinking smileythumbs upsmoking smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 31, 2020 16:01

Not a very relevant comparison, I'd say. But anyway, TY wins over TIC:

WAY - 10
T - 10
H - 8
NUIC - 10
WOAF - 10

HIW - 7
R - 6
WIU - 4
LA - 7
IMAL - 5

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2020 16:01

GasLightStreet

It's TY for me too. And "Locked Away" is a bit generic to me. MNMistake is far better.

"It Means A Lot" is horrible and dated with its rap-like "groove" and "Whip It Up" is one of these harmless open G songs Keith can write in his sleep. It sounds quite poor compared to "Take It..."

Date: January 31, 2020 16:07

Worried About You 9/10
Tops 9/10
Heaven 10/10
No Use In Crying 8/10
Waiting On A Friend 10/10

How I Wish 10/10
Rockawhile 7/10
Whip It Up 10/10
Locked Away 10/10
It Means A Lot 9/10

Date: January 31, 2020 16:57

DandelionPowderman
Worried About You 9/10
Tops 9/10
Heaven 10/10
No Use In Crying 8/10
Waiting On A Friend 10/10

How I Wish 10/10
Rockawhile 7/10
Whip It Up 10/10
Locked Away 10/10
It Means A Lot 9/10

46/50 to 46/50 looks like a tie!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 31, 2020 17:34

Worried 10/10
Tops 10/10
Heaven 6/10
No Use 6/10
Waiting 10/10

How I Wish 9/10
Rockawhile 8/10
Whip 8/10
Locked 10/10
Means A Lot 8/10

*Bonus round:
Talking Heads, Heaven 20/10

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 31, 2020 18:52

I am surprised that someone thinks that leight weight Talk Is Cheap (side 2) could go just one round agaisnt heavy weight Tattoo You (side 2). That isn't a fair match.

Date: January 31, 2020 18:59

dcba
GasLightStreet

It's TY for me too. And "Locked Away" is a bit generic to me. MNMistake is far better.

"It Means A Lot" is horrible and dated with its rap-like "groove" and "Whip It Up" is one of these harmless open G songs Keith can write in his sleep. It sounds quite poor compared to "Take It..."

Whip It Up is standard tuning.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2020 19:01

dcba
GasLightStreet

HAHA. What I really like about Locked Away is the backing vocals. Yeah, sure, it's a bit down the middle, music wise, but it's sweet.

It Means A Lot is just noise. Never liked it, never will, it's got some kind of forced reggae thing going on that fails fantastically; it doesn't fit. Whip It Up is, ha ha, Stones by numbers - no better than Love You Too Much or Too Tight - not much to it, although it's got some decent wonk in it, and the tone of his guitar is quite entertaining. That aside, it never makes any playlists, where as Take It So Hard, Struggle and How I Wish have been listened to for years.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 31, 2020 19:12

The thing that's kind of ironic about Mick and Keith's solo stuff is that on the one hand you think, "Imagine how good this would have been if they both we're on it", but on the other hand, they needed space away from the other in order to create it in the first place.

Date: January 31, 2020 19:44

I really like Keith's chordal lead at the end of "It Means A Lot". The lyrics too.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 31, 2020 20:05

Good lord almighty. Tattoo You Side B every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Talk is Cheap is actually my favorite Stones solo record, but it doesn't hold a candle to any side or angle of Tattoo You, imho.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 1, 2020 03:04

I'll go w/ Keith ... songs like Whip It up and How I Wish are killer!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 1, 2020 04:53

Stones …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 1, 2020 05:14

Are you joking? Compare one of the most perfect and legendary album sides of world's greatest rock band at their prime to some secondary side product of one Rolling Stone? Or is there some kind of 'Keith Richards is The Rolling Stones' presuppostion in the question?

There is a difference between a show highlight and a piss break, and that's the difference in quality between TATTOO YOU and TALK IS CHEAP B-sides (or whatever sides). In TATTOU YOU any bloody note, word, sound, nuance is nothing but a perfection, The Stones in their very top form, but the b-side of TALK IS CHEAP is basically a bunch of simple children songs both in lyrically and melodically put through sloppy jamming with the hopeful idea if the output might turn up be something like unique. Sure there is a keithrichardsian 'feel' the True Beliveres with their acquired taste might recognice, but for the the rest of the people - with some sort of reasonable taste and judgment - it all will be 'what a fvck this boring shit is?'... None of Jaggerian focus, or wit or swagger or sex, nor wattsian minimalism, precise and swing, or any of keithrichardsian actual genious in melodies or riffs is present ... just listen all that tasteless noisy drumming, weak guitar sounds, non-finished song sketches, half-baked riffs, lousy vocals, over-all laziness, terrible production... huh!

But like I said there must be some sort of metaphyhysical rule that 'Keith Richards is The Rolling Stones' to get the comparison in some sort of acceptable level (the rule I never have grasped).

Is the next comparing the c-side of EXILE to b-side of MONKEY GRIP or GODDESS IN DOORWAY or something?

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-01 05:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 1, 2020 06:07

Love Talk is Cheap, but come on...TY all the way.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 1, 2020 06:56

Stones no doubt.

So whats next...comparing Exile side four to Primitive Cool side one?
Now there's a conversation...

EDIT: Just read Doxa's post all the way through (which I rarely do), and see he said something similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-01 07:01 by Hairball.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home