Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Indoor or Outdoor Stones Concerts, and Your Problems With Either
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 30, 2020 17:29

I much prefer indoor concerts to outdoor events. Many years ago I saw The Grateful Dead outdoors, and before the main event came up, I wished I were dead in 100 degree weather and high humidity. More recently we saw the Stones at Churchill Downs and it rained almost constantly. The sound was very bad, and with not enough volume. This is sort of funny. We took with us two large black plastic bags which we placed over us with a hole for the head to poke through. Some girls asked us where we got them, and they then stole some from a storage shed. Suddenly there were many people using the bags to keep dry. Also, there were not nearly enough portable toilets to go around, and they were filthy.

On the other hand, the sound in indoor stadiums can be distorted as the sound bounces from one wall to the next.

Re: Indoor or Outdoor Stones Concerts, and Your Problems With Either
Date: January 30, 2020 17:40

I avoid outdoors shows in the heat/humidity peak of summer. Indoor shows I pick my favorite venues for previous good sound experience.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 30, 2020 17:46

Both have their pluses and minuses. Obviously an indoor show allows for a more controlled environment (temp control, protection from elements, etc.)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 30, 2020 18:20

As far as I am FOS, it doesn't make any difference to me.

C

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 30, 2020 19:35

Outdoor , Gillette Stadium in Foxboro Mass. and there lack/more like no security in the Pit section in front of the stage . I was assaulted and injured and had beverages dumped on me as well . All because I purchased a ticket to enjoy my favorite band . The individual who assaulted me , did not have there evening ruined . I did and suffered physically for it as well . Shame on Gillette Stadium ,to allow unruly fans to behave in this manner , when I was a paying customer with choices on where to SPEND my MONEY . Lesson learned - I have choices where to spend my money and that in a nutshell is my lesson learned . It's Really Simple -PEOPLE ,PLACES , AND THINGS .

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 30, 2020 19:38

TheGreek
Outdoor , Gillette Stadium in Foxboro Mass. and there lack/more like no security in the Pit section in front of the stage . I was assaulted and injured and had beverages dumped on me as well . All because I purchased a ticket to enjoy my favorite band . The individual who assaulted me , did not have there evening ruined . I did and suffered physically for it as well . Shame on Gillette Stadium ,to allow unruly fans to behave in this manner , when I was a paying customer with choices on where to SPEND my MONEY . Lesson learned - I have choices where to spend my money and that in a nutshell is my lesson learned . It's Really Simple -PEOPLE ,PLACES , AND THINGS .
Was this back in July??

I was at that show and found the crowd to be near somnambulant. I wasn't on the floor, but very close to it and didn't notice any rowdiness. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-30 19:40 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2020 20:03

Never had a problem with indoor Stones concerts (except *Vegas '16), and I prefer them over any outdoor venue.
That said, I've had some great experiences in stadiums and outdoor festivals, and if it's the only choice to see the Stones now then so be it.
Makes me yearn for the good old days of arenas and small clubs/theaters though...likely to never happen again, at least as far as tours go.
Still think the Stones might do a mini-run at Royal Albert Hall some day and/or a couple of small club/theater shows somewhere.
What's a bit odd is they haven't done any type of small show like that in quite some time...I think the last was the private billionaire show in 2016.

Date: January 30, 2020 20:13

keefriff99
TheGreek
Was this back in July??

I was at that show and found the crowd to be near somnambulant. I wasn't on the floor, but very close to it and didn't notice any rowdiness. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Yes , I believe it was July 7th 2019 , a date for me which will never be forgotten , and such a major disappointment and shock as well for this to happen at a Stones concert full of geriatric geezers like myself .This just does not compute , nor makes any sense as to the consumables that are consumed by our demographic and to be assaulted in this type of environment still leaves me bewildered and puzzled and I will never make any sense of this nonsense ever , not to mention the agonizing crap to deal with from it lest we forget about the relationships trashed and destroyed thusly from this debacle . I guess some cant see past there own nose and forget about someone sticking there head out as it could get knocked off as well . What a surprise it was from me walking out after a "Stones" show feeling physically hurt and bewildered at what had just transpired and lastly just feeling like I had been hit by a train , and not having any glee or glow from enjoying my favorite band .

Date: January 30, 2020 20:53

keefriff99
TheGreek
Was this back in July??

You were spot on in your description of the crowd as in Solider Field for the first 2 shows of the tour the crowds were quite enthusiastic and filled with joy and they expressed it with there cheers loudly from there lungs versus the lethargic gathering in Foxboro . Except for the individual I had the unfortunate luck of encountering that had a major attitude problem fueled by alcohol and whatever else they consumed . Which I have no issue what so ever from that as I am from that era of self indulgence ,with one exception -which was we were taught to KEEP OUR HANDS TO OURSELVES and not to use them as weapons . A shame as far as the choices that I have where to spend my $ . That in and of it self is the only power that I have and will exercise it as well !

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 30, 2020 21:08

Completely depends on where you live. Much less chance for high temps in many places in the world, so outdoor concerts can be very pleasurable.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 30, 2020 22:19

Unfortunately I've only seen indoor Stones shows at BC Place. Sound quality depends on where you're sitting. I was in upper bowl for AC/DC and it was terrible yet last summer for McCartney, I thought the sound was pretty decent, not very echoey.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 30, 2020 22:28

very simple: it never rains indoors and it's always dark indoors (with add to the atmosphere)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 02:24

depends on venues, saw u2 in 1987 at exhibition centre glasgow, its not a concert venue as such but a venue for conferences and other events, so atmosphere was good but if your sitting at the back could see little.

outdoor gigs i have been to are stones at murrayfield edinburgh in 1999 and hampden glasgow in 1990, both up in the stands, terrible atmosphere, would have been better watching on telly with headphones. both nights were cold although both were reported as warm evenings, were they hell, and it was summer, sometimes people overreact when they describe the weather in scotland, a sunny april day with temps of around 13 degrees can often be reported as a heatwave.

then 02 center to see the stones in 2007, better atmosphere it was, but nothing compares to outdoor gig in warsaw 2018, great stadium, was on the pitch, so could hear it louder and it was a nice warm evening

it all depends on may factors which is the best.

would love to have seen the stones in a pub setting though, that would be a great atmosphere.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2020 02:39

YEP! . sniffin' Ether before a show
will lead to problems …. wouldn't recommend
it unless ya wanna be last ta leave the arena …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2020 02:48

Indoor shows can have boominess but I'll take that over the wind changing the volume that you hear outside.

I've seen the Stones and U2 in the Louisiana Superdome (both of them twice), the Stones in the Silverdome in Pontiac, MI and at Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI (the first band to play the college football stadium) and the sound at Spartan Stadium, an outdoor stadium, was the worst sound I've ever heard - there were times the songs almost disappeared because of the wind.

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: January 31, 2020 03:12

Crazy negative thread title....but anyway...I have no issues with either Indoor or Outdoor...I'm just grateful we have any Stones shows at all - whether its in a tent or a Port-a-loo...it will be great and I would love to go to all of them!

I've never been to a bad stones show (I've seen 54 all around the world) or even one that has crap sound...because I get up early...I queue for GA shows and get to the front, or I buy decent tickets near the front...or I stay home if I cant afford to do either...

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 03:23 by rcfoxy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2020 04:54

rcfoxy
Crazy negative thread title....but anyway...I have no issues with either Indoor or Outdoor...I'm just grateful we have any Stones shows at all - whether its in a tent or a Port-a-loo...it will be great and I would love to go to all of them!

I've never been to a bad stones show (I've seen 54 all around the world) or even one that has crap sound...because I get up early...I queue for GA shows and get to the front, or I buy decent tickets near the front...or I stay home if I cant afford to do either...

What's that? You need someone to hold your hand? There's nothing OH MY GOD negative about the thread title.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: January 31, 2020 05:39

In my 30 years of concerts, I was probably more outdoor vs indoor but nowadays I much prefer indoor. I have even occasionally traveled farther to see an act indoor. I used to like amphitheaters when you could actually get near the stage for a reasonable price but now only the lawn is fan friendly and it really is a turnoff.

I have to travel at least three hours to see most major concerts. I almost always drive home after the show. Fog, rain or snow late at night is enough concern. If I'm going to make the trip, I at least want the concert part of it to be in a controlled environment.

Luckily, out of my dozen or more Rolling Stones concerts I never had a weather issue. Rain has come close but except for a sprinkle always stayed away. And at least half were outside.

This tour I'm eyeing Atlanta to see their new dome. If I'm lucky enough to see two St. Louis would probably be it. Their dome is old but it's better than being outside there in June.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 31, 2020 09:56

For any venue...all depends on the view & the sound from your "seat" in the house .

And then , all shows have their own unique vibe.

That said...some large indoor arenas have such a bad acoustic as to almost ruin the sound, regardless of where you're sitting or standing.

Given the choice I suspect most folks would ideally see the band in a theatre...but aside from that vary rare opportunity, and in my experience, outdoor stadia are a safer bet than cavernous indoor arenas.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 31, 2020 10:26

keefriff99
an indoor show allows for a more controlled environment (temp control, protection from elements, etc.)

And a better more refined setlist with "deep" cuts? Remember 2002-03! smileys with beer

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 31, 2020 13:22

At open air concerts, it's difficult to determine whether you raised the roof or not, which is an advantage to certain performers

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 14:40

I have been lucky in all the years that I have seen any concert,sure there my be someone who has had a lot to drink etc,the ONE thing that I do have a issue is are people with cell phones,or as I call them crack pipe phones,why do I call them that?,they never put them down,so I think that I say this for a lot of concert goers,please put your crack pipe down and enjoy the show.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 15:53

Indoor shows lack all of the theatrics of the outdoor shows, which is what I love most about the whole experience.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 31, 2020 21:13

I was at that show at Foxboro, THE GREEK, and I'm sorry to hear what you went through. I didn't see any disturbances but I wasn't in the PIT and I was focused on the stage. I happen to HATE STADIUM SHOWS because it can be a free for all....crazies come out of the woodwork, way too much DRINKING, and it seems people come to stadiums just to get loaded...that means idiots crawling over you 100 times in 2 hours to go on BEER RUNS, and chances are you WILL get beer dumped on you..the focus is not the music. I LOVE arenas! You see less drunks, more security and I love the sound. Not to mention you can have awful weather..we lucked out on July 7 at Foxboro, it was a beautiful night. The crowd was NOT ASLEEP but I can say that I've seen crowds that were more involved!! I find it hard to participate unless I'm right up front so another thing that SUCKS about stadiums...if you're up in the rafters, you really don't feel as much a part of the show! The Stones seem to be in just for the $$$ these days or they'd be adding a few arenas!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 31, 2020 21:32

I don't mind outdoor concerts in smaller venues (Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, for example), but I "retired" from stadium shows years ago (The Police in 2007 was the last one - and I only went because I had never seen them)...distant seats, plus crowd/traffic issues are among the reasons I don't do it anymore.

When I saw the Stones at the Rose Bowl in '94, a girl one row behind us got hit in the head by a bottle during the second song of the show...she was bleeding and had to leave. We spent the rest of the concert looking behind us every other minute in case another projectile was headed our way. Although I attended a couple of stadium shows after that (Stones in '97 and '02), it was kind of a turning point for me...just too many knuckleheads out there sometimes.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 23:01

I have only seen the Stones in stadium-sized venues, whether indoor or outdoor. I would love to catch a smaller venue, but that is not going to happen.

The venue matters to me for most every show. I've skipped several because while I loved the band, I did not want to deal with the chronic horrible sound of the venue. Now in my less tolerant older years, I find myself debating whether to go to certain club shows that may not have the headliner come on till 11 pm on a weeknight, or a venue where I know traffic will be a nightmare afterward (Darien Lake Amphitheater). Am I becoming the crotchety old @#$%& at shows that I used to mock when I was 16??!!

Posted by: northernale1 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 23:05

OUTDOOR
or arena is what I prefer

large football stadiums are boring, but I will go and enjoy myself if thats where they are playing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home