Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Wandering Spirit
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 26, 2021 19:30

Wandering Spirit is utterly fantastic. Simple as that.

I've Got My Own Album to Do I always considered a bit of a lost Stones album, with IORR being dated the day it came out, and with B&B being too short and not that strong.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 27, 2021 01:11

Too much of Micks solo stuff IMO sounds like Stones without Keith, although a lot of it is great.I think Mick wanted to do more experimental stuff than Keith, but he also wanted to sell cds.It would have been interesting to have heard a collaboration with Brian Eno , like Eno did with Bowie and U2.But Keith would never work with someone like Eno.I think that is why Mick has had no interest in makinga Stones album in 16 years.If albums still sold he might have done one, but not just for artistic reasons.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: January 27, 2021 01:45

Mathijs
Wandering Spirit is utterly fantastic. Simple as that.

Agreed Mathijis apart from Talk is Cheap it's clearly the stand out Stones solo album. Lots of fast rockers, slow country / folk and funky songs like sweet thing.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 27, 2021 02:00

Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for Bill's album "Monkey Grip." I loved it because of it's unassuming nature. It was an album of songs that didn't try to be Stones songs or something new (like She's the Boss).

Dusted it off just a few nights ago. Faves are "I Wanna Get Me a Gun" and "What a Blow."

It was also the first solo Stones record I ever bought, so the whole concept was utterly new to me.

In no way a classic, ranks well below the best of any of the others, but I'll take it over Ronnie's 1234, Primitive Cool, I like it more than Main Offender.

T@3

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 27, 2021 03:11

i have what is probaly a stupid question but i just got an orginal copy of wandering spirit on vinyl and is it odd that a album this size is on just one record wouldn't something like this normaly be a double album

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2021 04:02

ProfessorWolf
i have what is probaly a stupid question but i just got an orginal copy of wandering spirit on vinyl and is it odd that a album this size is on just one record wouldn't something like this normaly be a double album

WANDERING SPIRIT is 54:05 long.

STEEL WHEELS is 53:03.

EXILE is 67:07 - double LP.

VOODOO is 62:08 - double LP.

BRIDGES is 62:27 - double LP.

BANG is 64:23 - double LP.

I don't know of a concrete rule for what justifies a double LP - regardless of format - but with vinyl, at least before the mid-1990s, not much wiggle room after 59 minutes for a single LP is probably a safe way to look at it. A compact disc with an album's worth of music on it is considered an LP, and in some cases, like PHYSICAL GRAFFITI, which is 82:59, it has to be on two CDs because it's too long for one (unless, of course, there was some editing done). EOMS, VL, BTB and ABB can each fit on one CD.

So that would mean the format doesn't necessarily determine what, time wise, is truly a vinyl double LP. I might be off a little but it seems that the recent rise in vinyl LPs has produced more double albums than what might be considered "before" even though... they aren't double LPs time wise.

Once SoundScan started taking note of units and not per-disc sales, perhaps the double LP, vinyl or CD, went out of favor.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 27, 2021 06:41

GasLightStreet
loog droog
A week or so ago I was going through stuff I had saved in the garage, and I came across the CD long box for the album. Originally I didn't want to toss it, as I thought it would be like throwing away a 45 picture sleeve back in the 60's. Does anybody know if people collect these things, or should I put it in the trash?

I think I saw something last year or two years ago about some people that do collect those. I guess Google it? I dunno. Funny how those were supposed to help prevent theft... now people won't even take free CDs.

I cut all mine up years ago and made sort of a cool looking collage piece for framing ... but I kind of which I kept them all intact.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 27, 2021 06:43

TeaAtThree
Call me crazy, but I have a soft spot for Bill's album "Monkey Grip." I loved it because of it's unassuming nature. It was an album of songs that didn't try to be Stones songs or something new (like She's the Boss).

Dusted it off just a few nights ago. Faves are "I Wanna Get Me a Gun" and "What a Blow."

It was also the first solo Stones record I ever bought, so the whole concept was utterly new to me.

In no way a classic, ranks well below the best of any of the others, but I'll take it over Ronnie's 1234, Primitive Cool, I like it more than Main Offender.

T@3

It's easily my favorite of Bill's albums, but I wouldn't put it above any of the ones you listed above (1234, Primitive Cool, Main Offender). I would place it above She's the Boss though.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 27, 2021 09:48

GasLightStreet
ProfessorWolf

I don't know of a concrete rule for what justifies a double LP - regardless of format - but with vinyl, at least before the mid-1990s, not much wiggle room after 59 minutes for a single LP is probably a safe way to look at it. A compact disc with an album's worth of music on it is considered an LP, and in some cases, like PHYSICAL GRAFFITI, which is 82:59, it has to be on two CDs because it's too long for one (unless, of course, there was some editing done). EOMS, VL, BTB and ABB can each fit on one CD.

So that would mean the format doesn't necessarily determine what, time wise, is truly a vinyl double LP. I might be off a little but it seems that the recent rise in vinyl LPs has produced more double albums than what might be considered "before" even though... they aren't double LPs time wise.

Once SoundScan started taking note of units and not per-disc sales, perhaps the double LP, vinyl or CD, went out of favor.

And split up an album on two vinyl discs will improve the sound quality.

Date: January 27, 2021 10:04

Yesterday I got the test pressings of my band's album (it took forever making this, but that's a long story). One of the pre-requisites was that the album shouldn't be longer than 40 minutes (to obtain the best sound quality). My album was 44 minutes, but after listening to it several times, there is no lack in quality, luckily. The way to notice it, seemingly, is that the sound turns muddy/distorted toward the end of each side.

I think Todd Rundgren holds the record for squeezing in the most music on a single disc back in the day, with his album A Wizard, A True Star (it clocks in on 56 minutes).

Btw, Mick's Wandering Spirit is 53:58 long, according to Wikipedia.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 27, 2021 14:08

DandelionPowderman
Yesterday I got the test pressings of my band's album (it took forever making this, but that's a long story). One of the pre-requisites was that the album shouldn't be longer than 40 minutes (to obtain the best sound quality). My album was 44 minutes, but after listening to it several times, there is no lack in quality, luckily. The way to notice it, seemingly, is that the sound turns muddy/distorted toward the end of each side.

I think Todd Rundgren holds the record for squeezing in the most music on a single disc back in the day, with his album A Wizard, A True Star (it clocks in on 56 minutes).

Actually that Todd album only is his third longest: [en.wikipedia.org]

BTW: good luck with your new album! Even if you feel it took a while, you seem to work faster than another band well-known at this site...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2021 14:08

GasLightStreet

Seemingly both STEEL WHEELS and WANDERING SPIRIT reflect the times people started to construct albums in terms of CD. The albums started getting longer as there were more room in a singular CD. Vinyls were surely still pressed since there was still a market for them - but there were like rushed vinyl versions of CDs. And I think that's why they didn't want to release those as double albums, since the latter were not so good sellers. But the sound quality suffered. I think the worst example is the vinyl version of FLASHPOINT. According to Wiki the CD version is 76:12 minutes. The vinyl version lacks two cuts ("Cant Be Seen" and "Rock & A Hard Place"), which would mean - by a quick maths - that it runs something like EXILE in total! I recall the vinyl actually sounding clear and distinct for sure but rather thin and 'quiet'. Lacking some dynamics. It wasn't just a mix. (Besides, one needed to have a needle in a sharp condition!)

By the time of VOODOO LOUNGE the vinyl market was such marginal that only some vinyl diehards would buy them. And they would pay the price of double album to get a better sounding album. Plus the albums just had the habit of coming longer and longer (quantity over quality). The Stones - as usual - reflect very well the change of the times.

Traditionally the single Stones albums were something like 40-46 minutes (although the very early ones were just about over 30 minutes). There is one big exception: UK version of AFTERMATH, which goes over 52 minutes.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-27 14:25 by Doxa.

Date: January 27, 2021 14:13

Thommie
DandelionPowderman

Actually that Todd album only is his third longest: [en.wikipedia.org]

BTW: good luck with your new album! Even if you feel it took a while, you seem to work faster than another band well-known at this site...

grinning smiley

Date: January 27, 2021 14:18

Doxa
GasLightStreet

Seemingly both STEEL WHEELS and WANDERING SPIRIT reflect the times people started to construct albums in terms of CD. The albums started getting longer as there were more room in a singular CD. Vinyls were surely still pressed since there was still a market for them - but there were like a vinyl versions of CDs. And I think that's why they didn't want to release those as double albums, since the latter were not so good sellers. But the sound quality suffered. I think the worst example is the vinyl version of FLASHPOINT. According to Wiki the CD version is 76:12 minutes. The vinyl version lacks two cuts ("Cant Be Seen" and "Rock & A Hard Place"), which would mean - by a quick maths - that it runs something like EXILE in total! I recall the vinyl actually sounding clear and distinct for sure but rather thin and 'quiet'. Lacking some dynamics. It wasn't just a mix.

By the time of VOODOO LOUNGE the vinyl market was such marginal that only some vinyl diehards would buy them. And they would pay the price of double album to get a better sounding album. Plus the albums just had the habit of coming longer and longer (quantity over quality). The Stones - as usual - reflect very well the change of the times.

Traditionally the single Stones albums were something like 40-46 minutes (although the very early ones were just about over 30 minutes). There is one big exception: UK version of AFTERMATH, which goes over 52 minutes.

- Doxa

It's been a while since I listened to it, but wasn't Mean Disposition omitted for the VL vinyl version? I wonder why they did that? Why stimulate people to buy cds, when it was by far the most preferred media already in 1994?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-27 14:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2021 14:29

Dandie, I don't know about the vinyl version of VOODOO LOUNGE. Never had it (actually it would take years for me even to know that there is a vinyl version of it...).

If true - wouldn't it be like a message: 'hey you last mohicaans - don't you understand the vinyl era is over?'grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-27 14:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 27, 2021 15:41

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
GasLightStreet

Seemingly both STEEL WHEELS and WANDERING SPIRIT reflect the times people started to construct albums in terms of CD. The albums started getting longer as there were more room in a singular CD. Vinyls were surely still pressed since there was still a market for them - but there were like a vinyl versions of CDs. And I think that's why they didn't want to release those as double albums, since the latter were not so good sellers. But the sound quality suffered. I think the worst example is the vinyl version of FLASHPOINT. According to Wiki the CD version is 76:12 minutes. The vinyl version lacks two cuts ("Cant Be Seen" and "Rock & A Hard Place"), which would mean - by a quick maths - that it runs something like EXILE in total! I recall the vinyl actually sounding clear and distinct for sure but rather thin and 'quiet'. Lacking some dynamics. It wasn't just a mix.

- Doxa

It's been a while since I listened to it, but wasn't Mean Disposition omitted foion".r the VL vinyl version? I wonder why they did that? Why stimulate people to buy cds, when it was by far the most preferred media already in 1994?

That is correct. I am a vinyl buyer and listener. And I have not got " Mean Disposition". I have hardly heard it. But it was included in a later rerelease of the vinyl album. In 2010 I now read. However, I did not buy that album version. So I am still without " Mean Disposition".

Date: January 27, 2021 16:03

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
GasLightStreet

- Doxa

It's been a while since I listened to it, but wasn't Mean Disposition omitted foion".r the VL vinyl version? I wonder why they did that? Why stimulate people to buy cds, when it was by far the most preferred media already in 1994?

That is correct. I am a vinyl buyer and listener. And I have not got " Mean Disposition". I have hardly heard it. But it was included in a later rerelease of the vinyl album. In 2010 I now read. However, I did not buy that album version. So I am still without " Mean Disposition".

I bought the cd in 1994. Didn't get the vinyl until round 10 years ago. IMO, it's one of the stronger tracks on VL.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 27, 2021 19:10

Doxa
There is one big exception: UK version of AFTERMATH, which goes over 52 minutes.

- Doxa

I’ve often wondered: as it’s not a double-LP release, isn’t the sound a little compressed? If a new release today, it’d probably be stretched to two discs.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 28, 2021 00:17

Wandering Spirit is by far Micks best solo effort. Anyway his others aren’t bad at all. I especially like Primitive Cool. Mainly because of pretty strong songwriting and musicianship.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: January 28, 2021 02:20

DandelionPowderman

LOL what I saw was 54:05!

Date: January 28, 2021 02:30

Keith commented on how Thru And Thru had gotten some attention and that it closed VOODOO.

Apparently he considers the vinyl edition as "the album" and doesn't refer to the CD version of the album. Mean Disposition is a good blues rocker but flat in comparison to Jump On Top Of Me or I'm Gonna Drive.

Aside from that abomination Charmed Life, anyone know of any other tracks recorded for WANDERING SPIRIT?

Date: January 28, 2021 12:22

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Maybe there's a difference between the first and second edition?

Date: January 28, 2021 12:25

GasLightStreet
Keith commented on how Thru And Thru had gotten some attention and that it closed VOODOO.

Apparently he considers the vinyl edition as "the album" and doesn't refer to the CD version of the album. Mean Disposition is a good blues rocker but flat in comparison to Jump On Top Of Me or I'm Gonna Drive.

Aside from that abomination Charmed Life, anyone know of any other tracks recorded for WANDERING SPIRIT?

There is some different things (compared to what they use to do with their rockers) going on in Mean Disposition (the "hit and run / loaded gun"-parts). I like the 50s feel of it, the drive.

Jump On Top On Me is a very standard country-rocker, but I like it. It's a good one. I'm Gonna Drive is a bit boring, imo.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 28, 2021 12:27

Last night I listened to the CD "Mick Jagger live at Webster Hall". Haven't done for years and was amazed about Mick's vocal performance. That's truly a great concert, the sound was fantastic, the band was great and Mick seemed to be focussed on his singing.

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: January 28, 2021 14:38

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Todd Rundgren's Initiation clocks in at 68:11.

Date: January 28, 2021 14:47

walkingthedog
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

Todd Rundgren's Initiation clocks in at 68:11.

Yep, but it came out later than Wizard. Maybe I should have written «held» the record smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-28 20:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 28, 2021 20:21

wow didn't think i'd get that big a response just thought it was odd that it wad a single disc when the new release has 2

my copy of wandering spirit sounds great with no inner groove distortion and thats with a cart from the early 60's (ADC point 4 with a original ADC r6-e bonded elliptical 4x9 stylus
tracking at 1.5 grams on my pioneer pl-560 turntable) i also have a original voodoo (british import) & steel wheels bought from
the same shop as wandering spirit and they sound great too

also to Meise i also can't believe mick's vocal performance at websters most notably on rip this joint especialy when you compare it to his performance of the same song a year or so later i say it was his best version of that song since 73 would love to see websters hall released on vinyl

Date: January 29, 2021 04:47

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

There is some different things (compared to what they use to do with their rockers) going on in Mean Disposition (the "hit and run / loaded gun"-parts). I like the 50s feel of it, the drive.

Jump On Top On Me is a very standard country-rocker, but I like it. It's a good one. I'm Gonna Drive is a bit boring, imo.

LOL it just starts so... hazy. It's a nice thumper though. I dunno. I like it. But I like Jump On Top Of Me Better.

Date: January 29, 2021 04:53

ProfessorWolf
wow didn't think i'd get that big a response just thought it was odd that it wad a single disc when the new release has 2

Some people here dig details of things. I'm a bit of an edit freak and can wander off into being a gearhead in aspects of something used for recording, generally musician gear. The single/double album thing is interesting. The culture of the song compilation has evolved over the last 80 years thanks to formats changing, or perhaps, being added to, subtracted, added back, minimized, etc.

And... there wasn't really much going on last year and it's oozed into 2021.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 14, 2023 13:32

I really like the mix of the song they use in this video, but it's not on Spotify.. it's more groovy than the album version

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home