Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Wandering Spirit
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 31, 2020 16:22

The best Stones solo album. The only album that made me doubt if the Stones could top it, at the time it came out. I still like about every song on it, no filler at all in my opinion, I only hate that song with Kravitz on it, partly because I don't like his voice (although his collaboration on God Gave Me Everything was rather good, but that's another story).

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 31, 2020 19:19

[www.youtube.com]

Here is the Webster Hall performance - Chuck Leavell is playing with Jimmy Rip on guitar.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 31, 2020 20:20

DandelionPowderman
I thought it was fantastic for a long time. I still love the album, but with time I realised there is a good portion of filler on it (Mother Of A Man, Hang On To Me Tonight, Think, Put Me In The Trash). I like the energy of Wired All Night, but it's a pretty poor song.

Sweet Thing, Don't Tear Me Up and Evening Gown are fantastic. Perfection.

My thoughts exactly. It hasn't aged as well as I thought it might...but those 3 songs mentioned remain perfect.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 1, 2020 16:42

DandelionPowderman
I thought it was fantastic for a long time. I still love the album, but with time I realised there is a good portion of filler on it (Mother Of A Man, Hang On To Me Tonight, Think, Put Me In The Trash). I like the energy of Wired All Night, but it's a pretty poor song.

I agree with you that it is a fantastic album., but not so much on what is the filler ("Hang On To Me Tonight" is one my favorites and one of the rare examples in the last few decades of Mick singing a ballad and actually sounding vulnerable and sincere).

Rick Rubin pushed him in the right directions, knowing better than Mick what worked for him. (Including recording him on vintage equipment which Mick seemed bewildered with at the time)

You have to keep in mind that this was the year Jagger turned 50, and I think he was determined to really prove that he still "had it" as a recording artist.

And he did.

Part of me wishes that he could have released some this material with the Stones. (Like speculating what a great Stones album would have been with a single like "Take It So Hard" and other Talk Is Cheap songs) But I hate to admit that I don't think the arrangement of a song like "Don't Tear Me Up" would have been as good-- I can't imagine them in the 90's performing it with same controlled tension and dynamics.

A week or so ago I was going through stuff I had saved in the garage, and I came across the CD long box for the album. Originally I didn't want to toss it, as I thought it would be like throwing away a 45 picture sleeve back in the 60's. Does anybody know if people collect these things, or should I put it in the trash?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 2, 2020 01:30

To me WANDERING SPIRIT was Mick Jagger doing a Rolling Stones album, even a superb one, as a solo effort. That fact constitutes my only objection to it. Because as such, it makes me strangely and somehow disturbingly miss the band, despite its, in my opinion, very fine song material.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2020 17:01

loog droog
DandelionPowderman

I agree with you that it is a fantastic album., but not so much on what is the filler ("Hang On To Me Tonight" is one my favorites and one of the rare examples in the last few decades of Mick singing a ballad and actually sounding vulnerable and sincere).

Rick Rubin pushed him in the right directions, knowing better than Mick what worked for him. (Including recording him on vintage equipment which Mick seemed bewildered with at the time)

You have to keep in mind that this was the year Jagger turned 50, and I think he was determined to really prove that he still "had it" as a recording artist.

And he did.

Part of me wishes that he could have released some this material with the Stones. (Like speculating what a great Stones album would have been with a single like "Take It So Hard" and other Talk Is Cheap songs) But I hate to admit that I don't think the arrangement of a song like "Don't Tear Me Up" would have been as good-- I can't imagine them in the 90's performing it with same controlled tension and dynamics.

A week or so ago I was going through stuff I had saved in the garage, and I came across the CD long box for the album. Originally I didn't want to toss it, as I thought it would be like throwing away a 45 picture sleeve back in the 60's. Does anybody know if people collect these things, or should I put it in the trash?

I think I would defer to Mick in this instance, who might quite rightly say, "don't you put me in the trash".

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: February 2, 2020 17:08

Is there some outtakes from sessions of this record?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2020 16:14

It's aged funny for me. When it came out it was vibrant but it's really faded over the years. I still like the sneer of Put Me In The Trash, the 2 country songs, and Sweet Thing and Don't Tear Me Up, of course.

I still sing I've Been Lonely For So Long, I've always liked that one.

When GODDESS came out I found a new appreciation for WS but it also got me to really dig God Gave Me Everything.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 3, 2020 19:19

GasLightStreet

That's one I did like in the beginning but over time grew tired of it. For me, Out of Focus is far better!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: February 3, 2020 19:51

Any opinions about the new LP Half Speed remastered Edition?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 4, 2020 02:23

Too bad Mick didn’t save Don’t Tear Me Up,Wandering Spirit,Angel in My Heartfor Voodoo Lounge and dumped Brand New Car,Baby Break it Down and You Got Me Rockin.And Visions of Paradise is a great track he could have saved for a Biggef Bang

Date: February 4, 2020 03:33

LeonidP
GasLightStreet

That's one I did like in the beginning but over time grew tired of it. For me, Out of Focus is far better!

I managed to find the Out Of Focus CD single with the remixes etc. Such a goofy song for a single, although not as goofy as the title track. Obviously wasn't hit single - and it's very likely that a majority of the world has no idea it was a single.

Perhaps if he wanted a bit more attention Atlantic would've released Put Me In The Trash, which would've been a much better choice, really.

Date: February 4, 2020 05:59

LeonidP
GasLightStreet

Stand out track on a stellar album!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 4, 2020 22:22

Taylor1
Too bad Mick didn’t save Don’t Tear Me Up,Wandering Spirit,Angel in My Heartfor Voodoo Lounge and dumped Brand New Car,Baby Break it Down and You Got Me Rockin.And Visions of Paradise is a great track he could have saved for a Biggef Bang

That's exactly what I was always saying! Add Evening Gown, Out Of Focus, Sweet Thing and Keith's Hate It When You Leave to the list and imagine what Voodoo Lounge could have been if Jagger and Richards had not wasted their best songs at the time for solo albums that ensured that we could never hear these great songs live again after Webster Hall and Keith's MO tour.

It's all about songs and the best ones at the time were not used for the Stones, that's for sure. Voodoo Lounge could have been a great classic Stones album instead of the lame attempt to sound like the Stones with mostly second-rate song material that it really turned out to be.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 7, 2020 00:30

This has always been one of my favorite albums. I think it's sequenced very well, the songs are excellent, and Mick does some fine singing. I genuinely don't think there's a bum track on the whole thing. It's one of the few albums where I've never felt the need to make a re-sequenced and lightly edited version. There's a lot of variety in the music. It veers from country to rock to funk. Sweet Thing is awesome, IMHO. The title track is the best and really should have been a Stones song. They missed out on a winner right there.

I did discover that I have a promotional CD called "Mick Jagger's Wandering Spirit: The Interview" which allows you to make your own radio interview with Mick about the album! I wonder how rare it is?

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 22, 2021 23:30

I have listened to this album a couple of times to day. For the first time in a very long while. Remembered it as an album I did like a lot. Don`t know why I haven`t listened to it in such a long time... I have to say that, to me, it still stands out as a very good album. And, Sweet thing and Out of focus really fits well on a friday afternoon smileys with beer

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 23, 2021 14:18

Core-band with Jim Keltner? Hmm.

I liked the drumming on W. Spirit.But that was Curt Bisquera.
Keltner only did 1-2 songs.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: January 23, 2021 15:05

Best Stones related release since Some Girls. An absolute masterpiece.

Date: January 23, 2021 17:05

WorriedAboutYou
Best Stones related release since Some Girls. An absolute masterpiece.

I would say since Undercover, but the sentiment is the same.

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: January 24, 2021 19:56

[www.facebook.com]

Doug Wimbish says... :
"...there were 2 versions of Mick’s disc, Wandering Spirit, before the one the public knows. This is the band that recorded the first, in the house it was recorded in. @charliewattsofficial @mickjagger @jimmyrip @dougwimbish"

Does anyone have any info about this first version?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 24, 2021 20:31

Always thought this album and other Mick solo releases were lacking in something....there's no blood, sweat, and tears, and they have no balls. They're all sort of 'faux' imo.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 24, 2021 21:24

Hairball
Always thought this album and other Mick solo releases were lacking in something....there's no blood, sweat, and tears, and they have no balls. They're all sort of 'faux' imo.

the lacking thing is called Keith Richards…

Date: January 24, 2021 21:28

Duked
[www.facebook.com]

Doug Wimbish says... :
"...there were 2 versions of Mick’s disc, Wandering Spirit, before the one the public knows. This is the band that recorded the first, in the house it was recorded in. @charliewattsofficial @mickjagger @jimmyrip @dougwimbish"

Does anyone have any info about this first version?

I think those were the demo sessions. Yep, with Charlie as well.

Date: January 25, 2021 06:20

loog droog

I think I saw something last year or two years ago about some people that do collect those. I guess Google it? I dunno. Funny how those were supposed to help prevent theft... now people won't even take free CDs.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 25, 2021 10:34

2015 Version was remastered superbly and naturally in 44.1 kHz / 24Bit format.
It has evolved to something new.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 25, 2021 10:35

GasLightStreet
loog droog

I think I saw something last year or two years ago about some people that do collect those. I guess Google it? I dunno. Funny how those were supposed to help prevent theft... now people won't even take free CDs.
There is a certain market for long boxes. Some collectors consider those as an integral part of the release. Although, generally, they are not that prized as Japanese OBI. As usual for collecting, some long boxes have higher value than the others. So you should google or search ebay to figure out.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 25, 2021 11:09

A mix of the best songs of Wandering Spirit/Main Offender, would have been a great Stones album.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 25, 2021 11:34

KRiffhard
A mix of the best songs of Wandering Spirit/Main Offender, would have been a great Stones album.

Main Offender is already a very good album. Body Talks and Yap Yap could have been omitted, but the rest is good just as it is. No need to add anything else to it.

Date: January 25, 2021 15:01

matxil
KRiffhard

Main Offender is already a very good album. Body Talks and Yap Yap could have been omitted, but the rest is good just as it is. No need to add anything else to it.

Yap Yap has grown on me, actually. In the beginning I thought it sounded a bit like a boring Dire Straits-ish tune, but now I like it.

Running Too Deep / Will But You Won't, however, have cool sounds - but aren't really good songs, imo. And they have the same riff smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 25, 2021 16:37

matxil
KRiffhard

That is not the point. The point is that the best material on both albums combined could have formed a wonderful, yes, *great* Stones album compared to the uneven Voodoo Lounge - an album that could have added considerably to their recorded legacy, at least since Tattoo You.

Plus, it would have saved excellent song material from falling into obscurity instead of being tucked away on solo albums that virtually noone outside the hardcore fan base cares to listen anymore.

Combined with the best material from the Vooddoo Lounge sessions it could even have formed a wonderful double album....

...hell, they had a genuine later day-Exile in their hands and they blew it...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-25 16:43 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1091
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home