Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Stones underated albums
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2020 15:38

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet
I find the case of too much not good at all on UNDERCOVER to be absurd, which is no different than saying I Just Want To See His Face being an excellent track.

I agree with you that I Just Want To See His Face becomes good in context. As a separate song it's odd but nothing stellar. It just fits in.
With Undercover, however, it's not just that some songs are out of context (actually, the context of U is pretty clear) but some songs are - I find - really bad. Not bad as in "not stellar, only works in context" but bad as in "Gomper" or "Back to Zero" bad. There are four of them: "Wanna Hold You" is terrible. And then the last three: "Too Tough", "All The Way Down" (you seem to think one is good, the other not so much, personally, I can hardly remember the difference between them, they are throwaway rubbish to me) and obviously "Must Be Hell". Without those 4 songs, Undercover would have been a very good album because all the other songs are good in many different ways *and* fit in the overall "bleak, gloomy" context. So, it's not an underrated album but a flawed album. Which is a pity.

I'd say Emotional Rescue is an underrated album. It's obviously not their best but it doesn't have any bad songs on it (but that's because I actually like "Indian Girl") and some (not many, but some) very good ones.

Ehhhhhh, there's nothing as bad as Gomper or Back To Zero on UNDERCOVER to my ears. Dated, sure, but not as bad.

All The Way Down moves along, has a good melody, funny lyrics, some great singing by Mick, it's basically a Stones-by-numbers track that's decent. There's certainly nothing outstanding about it.

Too Tough is weird, it's a bit jarring, and even though it's a tune they started on in 1975 they could've left it off for something better.

Wanna Hold You... I've gone through phases of liking it, not liking it, but never thinking much of it. It is rather nowhere.

It Must Be Hell - Mick's delivery is hilarious but the riff... at least they didn't recycle something everyone would know, like Start Me Up or Brown Sugar, but taking Soul Survivor and Honky Tonk Women and putting new words over those is weak (regardless of Mick's excellent vocal work).

Well, there's quite a lot of HTW in there as well on the verses winking smiley

LOL yeah... but that's the other part of the song. Although it's a rather down the middle kind of HTW gate, perhaps more like the 1978 and 1981-82 long intro wonk that they did of HTW, the lifting of Soul Survivor's chorus for the main riff was the main point.

Some people say The Cult lifted Start Me Up for Love Removal Machine. They didn't, it's just kind of similar. Barely. However, the Stones lifted from Soul Survivor twice (It Must Be Hell, Rock And A Hard Place) AND ripped off The Cult's Love Removal Machine (ha ha) with Rock And A Hard Place.

Funny how no one complains that Sad Sad Sad is just Brown Sugar inverted.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2020 16:30

I went through a phase, around the time of SHE'S THE BOSS and DIRTY WORK, where I was so disappointed with those albums, I listened to IORR dozens of times a day for about 3 months (on my Walkman). There was something about Til The Next Goodbye, Time Waits For No One, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Short And Curlies and Fingerprint File that grabbed me.

None of those are any kind of Jumpin' Jack Flash/Gimme Shelter/Brown Sugar/Tumbling Dice quality songs - they're mostly more mysterious and so different.

Which is probably why I love UNDERCOVER so much...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2020 16:30

Ragus Nworb is Brown Sugar inverted. drinking smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 30, 2020 22:08

Sad Sad Sad sounds like no more words by berlin

Date: January 30, 2020 22:18

The one album that probably gets the least attention of all their records is No.2. IMO "No2" is much better than "12x5". Those two are hardly ever mentioned.
But underrated also implies that it is a good record. And the first album is by far my favorite of the first 5 albums. So I'd say that their first album is the most underrated.

I'm not clear why the first 5 albums "Hitmakers, No2, Now!, Out of our Heads, December's Children' and the "Got Live" receive so little consideration on these pages.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 30, 2020 22:59

ryanpow
Yer Blues sounds like Heartbreak Hotel.Please please me was a rip off of a pop song of the time.Michele lifts the melody of a Vivaldi Concerto.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 30, 2020 23:13

Taylor1
ryanpow
Yer Blues sounds like Heartbreak Hotel.Please please me was a rip off of a pop song of the time.Michele lifts the melody of a Vivaldi Concerto.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-30 23:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: February 7, 2020 01:35

Black And Blue is the first one that pops into mind. It's just a nice, friendly little album.

Voodoo Lounge is underrated. There are a few weak tracks. On a playlist, I would cut Out Of Tears, Brand New Car, Sweethearts Together, and Blinded By Rainbows. (I can listen to the others but I always skip Out Of Tears.) Moon Is Up is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I also really love I Go Wild, Sparks Will Fly, and Mean Disposition.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: February 7, 2020 04:52

The ones mentioned most on another forum I am on are as follows:

Between The Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Goats Head Soup
Black And Blue
Emotional Rescue

Goats Head Soup is my favorite of these.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 18:40

Interesting thread but I feel that IORR hasn’t been mentioned much. I really got into it... it is quite often slated but I think it is quite strong.
If you can’t rock me, ain’t too proud to beg, time waits for no one,luxury and dance little sister.
I really enjoyed it.. there is a sense of humour to if you can’t rock me... also a favourite is luxury..
Funnily enough I think iorr song is less good.. it makes sense live though.

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 18:44

The drummer thinks he is dynamite.... he is!!

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 18:53

I'm going to stand up for Dirty Work.
Sleep Tonight, One Hit, Too Rude, Winning Ugly and Fight are all good Stones songs to my ears - the only questionable part to me is the production.
They should remix it and re-release it without all the 80s synths and snares, along with some of the outtakes (of which we all have many). Could be a hit of a deluxe-edition! smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home