Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones underated albums
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2020 17:37

Emotional Rescue is underated..

isn't it..?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 28, 2020 17:48

Black and Blue for me, the best one in the 3 studio LP's between Exile and Some Girls in my opinion.

Date: January 28, 2020 18:00

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Chacho
My policy is, if it is not highly rated, it is for a very good reason.

Yep, and one of those reasons – if not the main reason – is the reason Spud mentioned in his post above: It's tough to challenge the «herd» smiling smiley

No. The main reason is that when choosing between Exile or Goat Head's Soup (and admittedly, there are good songs on GHS), 9 out of 10, you choose Exile. When choosing between Tattoo You and Undercover (and admittedly, there are good songs on U), 9 out of 10, you choose Tattoo You. When choosing between..., well, you get my drift.

I see your point. It took me more than 20 years to appreciate TY more than Undercover, though winking smiley

So, actually that would make initially TY underrated. Just as Exile actually, which wasn't very well received at the beginning.
Side-B of Tattoo You is of course a bit of a surprise if you expect an album of rock songs: a complete side of soulful ballads with Heaven as an odd "psychedelic" one out. Its quality takes time to recogize but then shines forever. Whereas with U, there's great stuff on it, but its effect quickly fades off and there's too much on it which is just not good at all.

Feel On Baby is Undercover's "Heaven". I still love that album, btw smiling smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: January 28, 2020 18:05

I know Dirty work is often discussed and won´t get too much love, but I love it despite the 80s production. If it would be remixed and get rid of those reverb and drum sound it would be listed as one of the greatest stones-albums (compare Monumentary Lapse Of Reason in it´s original and the 2019-remix and you know what I mean)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 28, 2020 23:57

The Little 3

GHS
IORR
Black and Blue

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 00:19

its all about perception, one band can do an average album and the public think its great while another do a great album and the public think its just ok, its about whats expected, or how big the group is or how it sits with the normality.

other groups that i wont name could have made satanic, buttons, goats head soup or its only r and r. and they would have been considered legendary albums, but somehow the stones get panned for them.

those albums i mentioned are near classics in my opinion, even the poorly considered stones albums, steel wheels, voodoo, bridges and a bigger bang have a collection of very good to average to poor songs but so does every band have albums like this.

funny how the beatles and i mean every album and nearly every song is considered great, a lot of people cant bring thierselves to diss certain songs, its all about perception.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 00:31

My first answer after seeing the headline is Voodoo Lounge - I really like this album a lot and it seems to get beat up on sometimes. I liked it in '94 and I think it has aged well too.

For live I'd go with No Security - I made myself a live compilation of some favorites a few weeks back and chose tracks from a bunch of the recent vault releases and live albums after Still Life - I was surprised on how many I chose from NS.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 29, 2020 00:34

No Security is a great album but I didn't realize it was not highly rated.

I agree that Goats Head Soup and Undercover are much much better than the respect they get among fans (i.e., here).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 29, 2020 04:21

duke richardson

isn't it..?

I dunno. It's more of an eclectic Stones album, a bit of an oddball. It really is all over the place of an album, perhaps too much.

I certainly think IORR and BAB are exceptional albums, they're just not THE BIG FOUR level. Not sure if that means they're underrated.

I do have a love for NO SECURITY. Aside from the awful Dave Mattttthews being on Memory Motel and a rather dumpy Respectable and a rushed The Last Time, it's pretty solid album. Hell, even YGMR is pretty good - mainly because it's sped up and sung a bit differently, it doesn't have that slow clubbing over the head that the LP and VOODOO tour performances had.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: January 29, 2020 06:10

Goats Head Soup
Undercover
Voodoo Lounge

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 29, 2020 10:25

Ket
Black and Blue for me, the best one in the 3 studio LP's between Exile and Some Girls in my opinion.

I didn't care for it because it pissed me off. I loved what music was on there, especially the 'disco' cuts, including Melody. It angered me in 1976 that there were only 8 songs on it. It seemed such a ripoff. Listening to it now, it's pretty damn good. It makes me wish they'd guested other guitarists over the years. It worked great with Clapton on Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 29, 2020 10:25

GasLightStreet
I find the case of too much not good at all on UNDERCOVER to be absurd, which is no different than saying I Just Want To See His Face being an excellent track.

I agree with you that I Just Want To See His Face becomes good in context. As a separate song it's odd but nothing stellar. It just fits in.
With Undercover, however, it's not just that some songs are out of context (actually, the context of U is pretty clear) but some songs are - I find - really bad. Not bad as in "not stellar, only works in context" but bad as in "Gomper" or "Back to Zero" bad. There are four of them: "Wanna Hold You" is terrible. And then the last three: "Too Tough", "All The Way Down" (you seem to think one is good, the other not so much, personally, I can hardly remember the difference between them, they are throwaway rubbish to me) and obviously "Must Be Hell". Without those 4 songs, Undercover would have been a very good album because all the other songs are good in many different ways *and* fit in the overall "bleak, gloomy" context. So, it's not an underrated album but a flawed album. Which is a pity.

I'd say Emotional Rescue is an underrated album. It's obviously not their best but it doesn't have any bad songs on it (but that's because I actually like "Indian Girl") and some (not many, but some) very good ones.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 29, 2020 10:27

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Chacho

Yep, and one of those reasons – if not the main reason – is the reason Spud mentioned in his post above: It's tough to challenge the «herd» smiling smiley

No. The main reason is that when choosing between Exile or Goat Head's Soup (and admittedly, there are good songs on GHS), 9 out of 10, you choose Exile. When choosing between Tattoo You and Undercover (and admittedly, there are good songs on U), 9 out of 10, you choose Tattoo You. When choosing between..., well, you get my drift.

I see your point. It took me more than 20 years to appreciate TY more than Undercover, though winking smiley

So, actually that would make initially TY underrated. Just as Exile actually, which wasn't very well received at the beginning.
Side-B of Tattoo You is of course a bit of a surprise if you expect an album of rock songs: a complete side of soulful ballads with Heaven as an odd "psychedelic" one out. Its quality takes time to recogize but then shines forever. Whereas with U, there's great stuff on it, but its effect quickly fades off and there's too much on it which is just not good at all.

Feel On Baby is Undercover's "Heaven". I still love that album, btw smiling smiley

I don't inmediately see the connection between "Feel On Baby" and "Heaven" but I love both songs deeply. On Undercover, "Feel on Baby" and "Tie You Up" are the highlights. On Tattoo You all songs (except for Hang Fire) are highlights, but Heaven is certainly a high-highlight.

Date: January 29, 2020 10:58

matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Chacho

I don't inmediately see the connection between "Feel On Baby" and "Heaven" but I love both songs deeply. On Undercover, "Feel on Baby" and "Tie You Up" are the highlights. On Tattoo You all songs (except for Hang Fire) are highlights, but Heaven is certainly a high-highlight.

That hypnotic feel. Both are dreamy soundscapes, musically. Maybe even more so with the long version of Feel On Baby.

Both are great showcases of experimentalism from the Stones, imo.

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: January 29, 2020 13:59

Totally agree. I might put Time Waits for No One in that group of esoteric jams that have a vibe evoking an era.

As noted above by Elmo, the Little 3 in the early seventies have many gems. And others noted that an average Stones album (and I should not use “average” since I love them all) would be a mega hit for a wannabe American band.

I think what is so great about the Stones is that they are true artists. The albums reflect the times they were created within. You can watch and hear the progression of their music and style over the years.

But to the question at hand, I tend to lean on Emotional Rescue when I think of a Stones album that appears underrated. The odd mix of styles but clear sound is refreshing and evocative of the late seventies and a transition from Some Girls to the thunder of Tattoo You with Start Me Up and the mega tour that followed. The ghost like album art also helps give the album an aura. We had to wait several years to hear those songs live which made them feel like old friends when we did in 1981.

Date: January 29, 2020 15:22

matxil
GasLightStreet
I find the case of too much not good at all on UNDERCOVER to be absurd, which is no different than saying I Just Want To See His Face being an excellent track.

I agree with you that I Just Want To See His Face becomes good in context. As a separate song it's odd but nothing stellar. It just fits in.
With Undercover, however, it's not just that some songs are out of context (actually, the context of U is pretty clear) but some songs are - I find - really bad. Not bad as in "not stellar, only works in context" but bad as in "Gomper" or "Back to Zero" bad. There are four of them: "Wanna Hold You" is terrible. And then the last three: "Too Tough", "All The Way Down" (you seem to think one is good, the other not so much, personally, I can hardly remember the difference between them, they are throwaway rubbish to me) and obviously "Must Be Hell". Without those 4 songs, Undercover would have been a very good album because all the other songs are good in many different ways *and* fit in the overall "bleak, gloomy" context. So, it's not an underrated album but a flawed album. Which is a pity.

I'd say Emotional Rescue is an underrated album. It's obviously not their best but it doesn't have any bad songs on it (but that's because I actually like "Indian Girl") and some (not many, but some) very good ones.

Ehhhhhh, there's nothing as bad as Gomper or Back To Zero on UNDERCOVER to my ears. Dated, sure, but not as bad.

All The Way Down moves along, has a good melody, funny lyrics, some great singing by Mick, it's basically a Stones-by-numbers track that's decent. There's certainly nothing outstanding about it.

Too Tough is weird, it's a bit jarring, and even though it's a tune they started on in 1975 they could've left it off for something better.

Wanna Hold You... I've gone through phases of liking it, not liking it, but never thinking much of it. It is rather nowhere.

It Must Be Hell - Mick's delivery is hilarious but the riff... at least they didn't recycle something everyone would know, like Start Me Up or Brown Sugar, but taking Soul Survivor and Honky Tonk Women and putting new words over those is weak (regardless of Mick's excellent vocal work).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 29, 2020 15:25

Rokyfan
No Security is a great album but I didn't realize it was not highly rated.

thumbs up Me neither

Date: January 29, 2020 15:32

To get to the thread title, is there a Stones LP that is very skinny? There are several. Their first bevy of releases pre-BUTTONS sans AFTERMATH run from between 28 and 39 minutes long.

Which album did the Stones not eat much on?

DECEMBER'S CHILDREN wins the Stones Most Underated Albums with the shortest running time of all albums released, 29:04.

All others they ate more.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 29, 2020 15:33

duke richardson

isn't it..?

Yes, on this forum, it is underrated. Why, I don't know.

In reality, at the time of it's release, with the youth of that time (age 15-30), it was incredibly popular.

And it has always been one of my top 7 Stones albums.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 15:36

Voodoo lounge is tepid best. I do not think it is under rated at all. In fact it is not a very good album. With some of their worst songs on it like brand new car and that stupid jugular song or they try to sound like James Brown but they sound like a horrible bar band! Horrible lyrics.
Bridges to Babylon I feel is very underrated, that is a fantastic album. Very well produced, great writing, and the band is sounding great albeit with a lot of session musicians playing. It’s only rock ‘n’ roll for me is also a very underrated album often discounted and maligned.

Date: January 29, 2020 15:41

GasLightStreet
matxil
GasLightStreet

Ehhhhhh, there's nothing as bad as Gomper or Back To Zero on UNDERCOVER to my ears. Dated, sure, but not as bad.

All The Way Down moves along, has a good melody, funny lyrics, some great singing by Mick, it's basically a Stones-by-numbers track that's decent. There's certainly nothing outstanding about it.

Too Tough is weird, it's a bit jarring, and even though it's a tune they started on in 1975 they could've left it off for something better.

Wanna Hold You... I've gone through phases of liking it, not liking it, but never thinking much of it. It is rather nowhere.

It Must Be Hell - Mick's delivery is hilarious but the riff... at least they didn't recycle something everyone would know, like Start Me Up or Brown Sugar, but taking Soul Survivor and Honky Tonk Women and putting new words over those is weak (regardless of Mick's excellent vocal work).

Well, there's quite a lot of HTW in there as well on the verses winking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 29, 2020 15:46

Bridges

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 29, 2020 22:32

duke richardson

isn't it..?

I like ER, but to me it's like a lot of 80's music. It sounds great and feels fun when you turn it on, but then it starts to wear off after a few songs. It's like empty calories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-29 22:34 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 29, 2020 23:39

Voodoo sounds amazing but the songs are a bit weak.

Steel Wheels has great songs but sounds a bit weak.

Bridges is uneven and has poor production but has great highlights song-wise.

Black & Blue is great but short and lacks a BIG HIT - weird to think they had Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend, & Slave sitting on a shelf when they put it out.

Goats Head Soup is truly great and underrated.

Bigger Bang is truly great and underrated.

Emotional Rescue was a misfire, except for about 3-4 tracks.

Dirty Work is underrated because, although it isn't great, One Hit is amazingly good and Winning Ugly, Harlem Shuffle, Had With You & Too Rude are all really solid.

Undercover is truly great and underrated.

Between the Buttons is truly great and underrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-29 23:42 by Send It To me.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 30, 2020 00:00

Send It To me
Voodoo sounds amazing but the songs are a bit weak.

Steel Wheels has great songs but sounds a bit weak.

Bridges is uneven and has poor production but has great highlights song-wise.

Black & Blue is great but short and lacks a BIG HIT - weird to think they had Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend, & Slave sitting on a shelf when they put it out.

Goats Head Soup is truly great and underrated.

Bigger Bang is truly great and underrated.

Emotional Rescue was a misfire, except for about 3-4 tracks.

Dirty Work is underrated because, although it isn't great, One Hit is amazingly good and Winning Ugly, Harlem Shuffle, Had With You & Too Rude are all really solid.

Undercover is truly great and underrated.

Between the Buttons is truly great and underrated.

I can take a pretty good guess as to what one of them is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-30 00:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rara ()
Date: January 30, 2020 00:39

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 11:08 by rara.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2020 00:49

Spud
I think a lot of folks are afraid not to follow the pack when it comes to rating albums... and tend to jump on band wagons, sometimes over praising or over slating certain albums in relative terms.

For some folks , the four albums from 68 to 72 are sublime...and rest seemingly rubbish.

Maybe a slight exaggeration of the truth .

We do, however, have a few brave folks, prepared to stick their heads above the parapet in praise of their much maligned favourites...usually to then receive a whole lot of flak ! grinning smiley

I'm flummoxed. If I agree with you, am I now jumping on the bandwagon?

Posted by: terry ()
Date: January 30, 2020 01:34

Out of our Heads

Between the buttons

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 30, 2020 03:00

Everything up to Between the Buttons.

The early records get relatively little attention on fansites.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 30, 2020 04:43

Gazza
Everything up to Between the Buttons.

The early records get relatively little attention on fansites.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home