Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones underated albums
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 21:02

IMO,Voodoo Lounge,Bridges to Babylon and to a lesser extent Steel Wheelsare very underated by most people.Here is my list of great songs culled from these albums:Mixed Emotions/Almost Hear you Sigh/Continental Drift/Slipping Away/Love Is Strong/Out of Tears/ The Worst/ Sweet hearts Together/Blinded By Rainbos/ Thru and Thru/Anybody Seen My Baby/Already Over Me/Out of Control/Saint of Me/Too Tight/How Can I Stop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-27 21:03 by Taylor1.

Re: Stones underated albums
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 27, 2020 21:07

No Security is often judged by its cover. It has a very interesting selection of songs on it and is soundwise one of the best-produced Stones live albums.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 27, 2020 21:50

My policy is, if it’s not highly rated, it’s underrated.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 21:56

GOATS HEAD SOUP is vastly underrated. A combination of songs that are funky, dark, beautiful and mysterious. GHS is a very mature album. It gets left in the shadow of EXILE and feels like the druggy excess of the '72 tour. Is it perfect? No. But the album provides some of the greatest Stones ballads of their career: 100 Years Ago, Coming Down Again, Angie, Winter, Through The Lonely Nights, even Tops and Waiting On A Friend which originated from the GHS sessions.

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: January 27, 2020 22:40

VL, SW, and Black and Blue are vastly underrated. A Bigger Bang is a little underrated.

PS:
Why do so many Stones albums have B alliteration?
Beggars Banquet, Black and Blue, Bridges to Babylon, A Bigger Bang. Hmmmmm???

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 27, 2020 22:42

Between the Buttons? Keith ackowledged that in an interview saying "we have a lot of be-be ones"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 27, 2020 22:46

Goat's Head Soup is damn near a masterpiece in my opinion. I remember playing the whole album for the first time thinking why don't I hear about this album more, or even at all. Voodoo Lounge is my favorite post Wyman record.

Date: January 27, 2020 22:53

Goats Head is great ,but that is from the golden era.I just think VL,BTB,are underrated by people who think the Stones didn’t produce great music after 1981.Even some of Mick’s solo stuff is underrated.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 22:56

Undercover, absolutely

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 27, 2020 23:14

VooDoo Lounge, Flowers, Decembers Children (not sure if this album is underrated but don't hear much talk about it)

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 28, 2020 00:37

MelBelli
My policy is, if it’s not highly rated, it’s underrated.
smileys with beer

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 28, 2020 03:55

My policy is, if it is not highly rated, it is for a very good reason.

Date: January 28, 2020 08:53

Their Satanic Majesties Request

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2020 09:49

I think a lot of folks are afraid not to follow the pack when it comes to rating albums... and tend to jump on band wagons, sometimes over praising or over slating certain albums in relative terms.

For some folks , the four albums from 68 to 72 are sublime...and rest seemingly rubbish.

Maybe a slight exaggeration of the truth .

We do, however, have a few brave folks, prepared to stick their heads above the parapet in praise of their much maligned favourites...usually to then receive a whole lot of flak ! grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 28, 2020 10:11

Chacho

thumbs up

Date: January 28, 2020 10:13

Chacho

Yep, and one of those reasons – if not the main reason – is the reason Spud mentioned in his post above: It's tough to challenge the «herd» smiling smiley

Date: January 28, 2020 11:04

DandelionPowderman
Chacho

Yep, and one of those reasons – if not the main reason – is the reason Spud mentioned in his post above: It's tough to challenge the «herd» smiling smiley

No. The main reason is that when choosing between Exile or Goat Head's Soup (and admittedly, there are good songs on GHS), 9 out of 10, you choose Exile. When choosing between Tattoo You and Undercover (and admittedly, there are good songs on U), 9 out of 10, you choose Tattoo You. When choosing between..., well, you get my drift.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 28, 2020 11:30

i'd say Undercover & Bridges to Babylon for studio stuff. Both have plenty of good songs that aren't necessarily played a lot. For live stuff i'd say No Security (if only Dave Matthews wasn't on it!).

Date: January 28, 2020 11:49

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Chacho

No. The main reason is that when choosing between Exile or Goat Head's Soup (and admittedly, there are good songs on GHS), 9 out of 10, you choose Exile. When choosing between Tattoo You and Undercover (and admittedly, there are good songs on U), 9 out of 10, you choose Tattoo You. When choosing between..., well, you get my drift.

I see your point. It took me more than 20 years to appreciate TY more than Undercover, though winking smiley

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 28, 2020 11:54

mailexile67
Undercover, absolutely

Yes.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 28, 2020 13:43

Black and Blue and Goats Head Soup are two of my all time favorites and both underrated imo.
Part of it may be the era one grew up in. Both of these were the first Stones albums I was able to discover and purchase myself as opposed to hearing my brothers collection etc. cool smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 28, 2020 13:51

Even the The Rolling Stones No 2 is underrated.

Date: January 28, 2020 15:01

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman
Chacho

I see your point. It took me more than 20 years to appreciate TY more than Undercover, though winking smiley

So, actually that would make initially TY underrated. Just as Exile actually, which wasn't very well received at the beginning.
Side-B of Tattoo You is of course a bit of a surprise if you expect an album of rock songs: a complete side of soulful ballads with Heaven as an odd "psychedelic" one out. Its quality takes time to recogize but then shines forever. Whereas with U, there's great stuff on it, but its effect quickly fades off and there's too much on it which is just not good at all.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2020 15:30

I find the case of too much not good at all on UNDERCOVER to be absurd, which is no different than saying I Just Want To See His Face being an excellent track.

But that's why context is important. There's no accounting for taste - otherwise, everyone would love their worst LP of all time.

GOATS HEAD SOUP being viewed as "the album after EXILE" is probably convenient yet critically GHS has been getting more love recently.

In a critical personal view, I've always thought GHS and U were underrated but could understand why U hasn't gotten the admiration: it's too different; it confronts what the Stones should sound like for people that are BB-EOMS obsessed. It doesn't have a truly big song on it.

In the case of someone liking U and someone saying it sucks, there is no "more for me, then". It just is what it is. However, there is the element of missing something, and that is that U is a greatly produced album with a lot going on. Which may be all that it really is. It really has some of Jagger's greatest vocal work. There is a lot going on with the production, a lot of interesting sounds. It's possible that U is the most produced Stones album ever.

There are some stellar songs (She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, All The Way Down) but the obvious trendiness of the time (Undercover Of The Night, Too Much Blood, Too Tough) and some good ol' Mick Jagger sneer going on (Pretty Beat Up, It Must Be Hell) can't save the album, although quite dense in its audiosphere, from feeling a bit hollow: it is a bit limp on some meat (and they certainly had other songs they could've finished that didn't ring cheap of a retread of a song 11 years old).

I love it. But I understand why it will never be considered one of the great albums and why it will never truly be underrated.

GHS on the other hand...

Date: January 28, 2020 16:08

She Was Hot is one of the Stones best rockers.Side one is really good onUC.But Pretty Beat Up,Must Be Hell,and Too Much Blood,All the Way Down are pretty mediocre.Also,the album cover is terrible.If it had a better album cover psychologically I might like it better.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 28, 2020 16:16

The 1989-2005 albums in general; fine albums all and definitely worthy as part of their catalogue. Written off by many as excuses to tour, I always felt that undersold what fine albums they actually are.

My top two though without a doubt: Black and Blue and Undercover. Undercover, from very first hearing summer '95 during the Wembley shows, I have loved. To this day it is one of my favourites.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 28, 2020 16:25

Decembers Children

Between the Buttons

Sat Majesties Request

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 28, 2020 16:52

MisterDDDD
Black and Blue and Goats Head Soup are two of my all time favorites and both underrated imo.
Part of it may be the era one grew up in. Both of these were the first Stones albums I was able to discover and purchase myself as opposed to hearing my brothers collection etc. cool smiley

Black & Blue, for sure! I love it, but there seems to be many that don't!

I love GHS too but don't consider it underrated as I don't see this one really being bashed that one very often.

Overrated? Dirty Work! As bad as it is, the fact that even a minute few think it is worthwhile has me put it in the "overrated" category.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 28, 2020 17:07

Out of Our Heads.

Can't say for sure if it's underrated but it seems at least to be forgotten.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 28, 2020 17:12

Nikkei
No Security is often judged by its cover. It has a very interesting selection of songs on it and is soundwise one of the best-produced Stones live albums.

I actually love that cover

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home