Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ronnie and Keith on watches
Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 18:57

The FT had an interview with Ronnie at the weekend -- search Google News (Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood on the satisfaction of painting Bremont watch dials). Interesting comment from Keith on why he doesn't wear a mechanical watch on stage.
I remember an eBAY auction for a gold Rolex (Cellini?) that was said to have been owned by Keith. The seller posted a photo of him wearing it.

Re: Ronnie and Keith on watches
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 20:27

I am curious as to why Keith doesn't wear a watch on stage?!

My guess would be because Charlie keeps the time!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 27, 2020 21:34

chrism13

Re: Keith...probably because as Chong once said: "I'm not into time, man"

I think it was from the skit "Cruisin' w/ Pedro de Pacas"

man...I wore that cassette out in High School.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: January 27, 2020 22:06

chrism13

Greatest IORR post ever!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 27, 2020 23:46

How many singers or musicians actually do wear a watch on stage?

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 28, 2020 04:01

I was under the impression Keith was really into watches; had been known in the past to actually wear one on each wrist; and once got himself out of a predicament when he was in a broken down speedboat by paying the boat owner who towed him to shore by giving the owner his gold Rolex.

However, it is true he never wears a watch on stage. I do not know why on that one.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 28, 2020 04:14

>once got himself out of a predicament when he was in a broken down speedboat by
>paying the boat owner who towed him to shore by giving the owner his gold Rolex.

He got taken. Boaters routinely tow disabled craft back to port as a matter of courtesy to and empathy with fellow boat owners (there but for the grace of God go I), or as a potentially life saving act. Either Keith didn't give a crap about the watch and just gave it to him as unnecessary reciprocation, or he got fleeced because of his celebrity. First world problem for sure.

Personally I would just ask for an autograph and maybe a photo. But I guess that's why I am poor and wear a Seiko.

jb

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-28 08:03 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 28, 2020 04:19

drwatts
chrism13

Greatest IORR post ever!

Charlie doesn’t want Keith to be Out Of Time

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2020 05:04

…. Keith scored Clapton's watch
in an argument/bet over something about Prince …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 28, 2020 05:26

This story has nothing to do with watches but rather, cigarette lighters. In 1999 I was working with long-time backline tech Chuch McGee getting the band gear ready for the upcoming No Security tour. At the end of the day I was driving Chuch back to his hotel in Manhattan and he asked me to drop him off at Tiffany & Co jewelry store on Fifth Avenue. He was picking up an order of gold-plated cigarette lighters for Keith and Ronnie in anticipation of the upcoming tour. Although starting with a case of 12 by the end of the tour there would usually only be one or two lighters left. Keith would give them away or people would take one as a souvenir, etc. and they would just all disappear. By the way these lighters cost about $1000 each.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-28 05:53 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: January 28, 2020 05:30

TornAndFried
This story has nothing to do with watches but rather, with cigarette lighters. In 1999 I was working with long-time backline tech Chuch McGee getting the band gear ready for the upcoming No Security tour. At the end of the day I was driving Chuch back to his hotel in Manhattan and he asked me to drop him off at Tiffany & Co jewelry store on Fifth Avenue. He was picking up an order of gold-plated cigarette lighters for Keith and Ronnie in anticipation of the upcoming tour. He said that although starting with a case of 12 by the end of the tour there would usually only be one or two lighters left. They would be given away or people would walk off with one as a souvenir and they would just all disappear. By the way these lighters cost about $1000 each.

TornAndFried...thumbs up

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: January 28, 2020 05:44

Hmm, maybe Clapton said he liked Prince which made Keith angry, he knocked him out and took his watch to remind him to never again talk such bollocks?

On a more serious note, I saw McLaughlin a couple of times, he always came on stage wearing his watch but before he started to play he took it off and put it on his water table or else, and when the show was over he put it back on before he left the stage. Maybe that's the secret of speedy guitar playing: take off our watch! Have you ever seen a long-haired, well-tattooed, naked-torsoed speed metal guitar player play with his Rolex or Triple Split around his wrist?

Date: January 28, 2020 06:07

Electrical current and metal on human skin do not really mix. Maybe Keith's experience in Sacramento circa 65 taught him that.

jb

Date: January 28, 2020 06:10

jbwelda
Electrical current and metal on human skin do not really mix. Maybe Keith's experience in Sacramento circa 65 taught him that.

jb

Bullocks. Keith has worn a thick silver bracelet and metal rings for decades.

Date: January 28, 2020 07:21

its not "bullocks" but you got me there.

Just saw an antiques roadshow where a guy who bought a Rolex oyster chrono back in the 70s, at the base exchange, for 340$ or something, he had the original receipt. Had never worn it, had all the original packing, still had the seal on the back of the watch. Guess what it was appraised for.

500,000 to 700,000 USD.

the guy feigned fainting but if it were me, I probably would have actually fainted right there. I do believe when you bring in something like this with extreme value, they tell you ahead of time to make sure you don't faint on-camera.

so, depending, that watch from Keef might be worth a pretty penny even without the connection. They said a normal one of this model ("Paul Newman" I think they called it) without the paperwork and having been worn were bringing near 400,000 USD. Unbelievable but true.

Edit to add: in the Roadshow case, the guy not only had warranty and some other card there, it was all blank paperwork, never filled in and never registered. According to the appraiser, those two paper items alone would bring at least a thousand USD, because they could be filled in to use with any "orphan" Rolex watches out there and thereby increase their value exponentially.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-28 08:34 by jbwelda.

Date: January 28, 2020 08:10

jbwelda
its not "bullocks" but you got me there.

Just saw an antiques roadshow where a guy who bought a Rolex oyster chrono back in the 70s, at the base exchange, for 340$ or something, he had the original receipt. Had never worn it, had all the original packing, still had the seal on the back of the watch. Guess what it was appraised for.

500,000 to 700,000 USD.

the guy feigned fainting but if it were me, I probably would have actually fainted right there. I do believe when you bring in something like this with extreme value, they tell you ahead of time to make sure you don't faint on-camera.

so, depending, that watch from Keef might be worth a pretty penny even without the connection. They said a normal one of this model ("Paul Newman" I think they called it) without the paperwork and having been worn were bringing near 400,000 USD. Unbelievable but true.

jb

"Bullocks" was a strong word perhaps but no offense intended.

Date: January 28, 2020 08:30

No worries man, no offense taken.

I do have to agree with you on what you said about wearing jewelry all the time. The problem comes if by chance something is not wired correctly, which I don't think happens very often these days. And I doubt jewelry would be the culprit in that case anyway so I was, in effect, full of it. You merely pointed out the obvious. And I have to thank you for that.

jb

Date: January 28, 2020 08:49

The introduction of wireless microphones and guitar systems has made electric shock from an un-grounded cable a thing of the past. If not for wireless it would be dangerous for musicians to perform in the rain or on a wet stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-28 08:50 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2020 09:12

I find watches irritating when playing guitar, as you need to bent your wrist. I think that's all to it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2020 09:56

Yep ...some watch bracelets can be a bit of a nuisance when playing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 28, 2020 13:24

I think it all goes back to the band's first "tour" of Italy (5-9 April 67) :
after the show the band had a bit of crowd adulation, they reached their arms into the crowd and...

"Hey dago gimme back my watch! Yea I saw you! Bugger!"
After that no more watches onstage... grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 28, 2020 13:35

Time waits for no one, not even watches.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: January 28, 2020 16:09

Seriously?? Watches?? Wow...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 28, 2020 19:00

When I saw the thread I had an different perception of ON ...
I'm not telling shocking news, but Keith in ON a watch (as is Mick), but I don't know about Ronnie.
By the way, aren't watches outdated? Since I have my iPhone with me I don't wear a watch anymore ... a great feeling of (fake) freedom grinning smiley

Date: January 28, 2020 19:03

Reportedly Keith has no cellphone.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2020 19:06

Mathijs
I find watches irritating when playing guitar, as you need to bent your wrist. I think that's all to it.

Mathijs
I agree and also don't wear any rings either

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 28, 2020 19:10

georgie48
When I saw the thread I had an different perception of ON ...
I'm not telling shocking news, but Keith in ON a watch (as is Mick), but I don't know about Ronnie.
By the way, aren't watches outdated? Since I have my iPhone with me I don't wear a watch anymore ... a great feeling of (fake) freedom grinning smiley
A nice watch gives off a look of fashion , where a phone looks like fill in the blank .Any way a watch is worn on the wrist where a phone is usually plastered to someone's face .Quite a difference !

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2020 23:41

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 31 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Date: January 30, 2020 23:44

Posted about that the other day in some other thread. Really amazing and final proof there is no such thing as time travel.

>Reportedly Keith has no cellphone.

I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

jb

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 31, 2020 01:03

Keith is in fact a watch guy !
[www.watchonista.com]

I remember that IWC Chrono well, both he and Ronnie had one I think too (maybe on stage even). At the same time as Roger Hodgson...there was probably someone at IWC who was a fan, clever product placement ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home