Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Grammy's 2020
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2020 00:57

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 28, 2020 01:10

that's an f'in freak show for sure

jb

Re: The Grammy's 2020
Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: January 28, 2020 01:12

rara
DREAMTIME
SHELLEY LAZAR MENTIONED IN MEMORIAN

DREAMTIME can you please stop formatting all your post in such a horrible way.
Thank you. - Everyone.

what is horrible? get a life!

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: January 28, 2020 02:07

keefriffhard4life
wasn't death angel produced or discovered by glam frontman davy vain from the band vain?

Yes.

Re: The Grammy's 2020
Posted by: rara ()
Date: January 28, 2020 02:26

DREAMTIME
rara
DREAMTIME
SHELLEY LAZAR MENTIONED IN MEMORIAN

DREAMTIME can you please stop formatting all your post in such a horrible way.
Thank you. - Everyone.

what is horrible? get a life!

Oh Lawrence, calm down.

Date: January 28, 2020 04:45

swaff
keefriffhard4life
wasn't death angel produced or discovered by glam frontman davy vain from the band vain?

Yes.

winder what that connection is?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2020 15:03

Aerosmith doing Living On The Edge (with a recorded Tyler singing harmony with himself) was probably some kind of 'current culture needs to be addressed' moment that was awful.

Tyler's cursing, eh, what's the point when it's gonna get censored?

Walk This Way was stupid. The bright lights facing the audience/cameras were awful. The mix was horrendous. "Let's get out of here"?

Pathetic.

Date: January 28, 2020 17:03

GasLightStreet
Aerosmith doing Living On The Edge (with a recorded Tyler singing harmony with himself) was probably some kind of 'current culture needs to be addressed' moment that was awful.

Walk This Way was stupid. The bright lights facing the audience/cameras were awful. The mix was horrendous. "Let's get out of here"?

Pathetic.

unless I missed it that was aerosmiths keyboard player singing the harmony not a recording of tyler

Date: January 29, 2020 04:23

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Pathetic.

unless I missed it that was aerosmiths keyboard player singing the harmony not a recording of tyler

They have a keyboard player? They use recordings for vocals on tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 29, 2020 04:33

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Pathetic.

they've had a keyboard player for years. they used to hide him behind the amps but he's out front (sort of) now. much like RHCP on the "stadium arcadium" tour, they had josh klinghoffer playing keyboards & guitar whilst hidden behind the amps. i had people telling me i was full of crap about that but i had full view of him at a show & it came out more in detail the last time john frusciante quit.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 04:59

I'm proud to say that I couldn't name a single popular song recorded since 2000.

Date: January 29, 2020 05:05

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

Pathetic.

i can't comment on every aerosmith tour but i can tell you the 2 times i saw them, 1997 and 2012 (?) , the backing vocals were clearly perry and the keyboard player . maybe they had some sweetening that i missed but i saw the keyboard player singing. i believe both tours i saw it was russ irwin . i know starting in the late 80's to mid 90's there was a guy named thom gimbel doing the keys and backing vocals

Date: January 29, 2020 05:09

Maybe the keyboard player triggers the recorded Tyler backing vocals and mimes along!

Date: January 29, 2020 05:29

GasLightStreet
Maybe the keyboard player triggers the recorded Tyler backing vocals and mimes along!

russ irwin can sing

[www.youtube.com]

even had a minor hit before joining aerosmith

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 29, 2020 05:32

also here is russ doing pink with the band and you see it sounds just like the record and clearly not a tyler pre recorded backing vocal

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 30, 2020 16:03

One thing is for certain - Tyler sings live. That backing dude certainly can hit those Tyler/Steve Perry only range notes. Seems like on the award shows over the years it sounded like 3 or 4 Tylers on stage, hence the recorded backing vocals gripes.

I'm surprised Tyler has never had to go to a hospital from passing out. This song, a pretty damn good version of What It Takes, is a great example. Somehow he can keep singing like he does....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 30, 2020 16:09

GasLightStreet
One thing is for certain - Tyler sings live. That backing dude certainly can hit those Tyler/Steve Perry only range notes. Seems like on the award shows over the years it sounded like 3 or 4 Tylers on stage, hence the recorded backing vocals gripes.

I'm surprised Tyler has never had to go to a hospital from passing out. This song, a pretty damn good version of What It Takes, is a great example. Somehow he can keep singing like he does....

[www.youtube.com]

his doctor has stated tylers vocal chords are thicker than a normal persons and it allows him to be able to continue to sing pretty well even in his 70's. that's a very tough demanding way of singing

Date: January 30, 2020 16:26

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

his doctor has stated tylers vocal chords are thicker than a normal persons and it allows him to be able to continue to sing pretty well even in his 70's. that's a very tough demanding way of singing

I meant his brain, from the exertion, his lungs... seems he would pass out!

You ever tried singing along, yet alone singing the notes, to something like What It Takes? You'll feel like passing out. That ain't any ordinary dude singing that shit.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 30, 2020 16:31

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

You ever tried singing along, yet alone singing the notes, to something like What It Takes? You'll feel like passing out. That ain't any ordinary dude singing that shit.
I've almost passed out singing along to certain singers in the car. I'm NOT a singer at all, but I enjoy belting out songs when I'm alone. If you have no idea what you're doing vocal-wise like me, you can get light-headed screaming along with a guy like Steven Tyler.

Date: January 30, 2020 17:51

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

I get that. I meant just the fact his voice is still that good in his early
70's.

you are right though certain songs I try and sing along with I get light headed. the folks on here will tell you its jagger that is defying time and no one close to his age in rock can hold a candle to his vocals at this age

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-30 17:52 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: January 30, 2020 18:07

Mick uses his voice in a very strategic, limited way, and he never engaged in vocal pyrotechnics like, say, Daltrey or Plant.

Nevertheless, the fact that there's no hoarseness, cracking, or strain at his age truly is remarkable, and to still have his falsetto intact is even more remarkable.

Date: January 30, 2020 18:46

keefriff99
Mick uses his voice in a very strategic, limited way, and he never engaged in vocal pyrotechnics like, say, Daltrey or Plant.

Nevertheless, the fact that there's no hoarseness, cracking, or strain at his age truly is remarkable, and to still have his falsetto intact is even more remarkable.

I do agree his voice still sounds fine

Date: January 30, 2020 18:51

All you have to do is listen to Paul McCartney these days to hear how resilient Mick's voice is in comparison.

I'm certainly not slagging Paul, but he sounds pretty rough these days, whereas Mick just keeps on trucking.

Date: January 31, 2020 03:09

keefriff99
All you have to do is listen to Paul McCartney these days to hear how resilient Mick's voice is in comparison.

I'm certainly not slagging Paul, but he sounds pretty rough these days, whereas Mick just keeps on trucking.

It is amazing but everyone is different and comparing McCartney to Jagger is fair, of course: they're a year apart, from the same era, have sung screaming songs etc and have toured for eons etc...

Of course, as noted above by who I can't remember, Mick doesn't exactly go for it these days where as Paul is still belting the shit out of his tunes and it takes a toll.

It makes sense to think that Steven Tyler will have the same thing happen to him - he's done what he does for so long it's amazing he can still talk.

Hell, Ian Astbury sings so hard since 1987 that he's never been able to finish a complete line in a song live!

Could you imagine Steve Perry still touring with Journey and singing those songs with those 18 mile high notes? I have no idea if he can still sing like that, Tyler can, but holy crap that would be astounding.

Date: January 31, 2020 04:33

People don't realize how incredibly difficult it is to be a professional singer at the highest level. The throat and vocal cords are SUCH fragile and temperamental organs, and dozens of things can adversely affect them on a day to day basis.

Then you factor in that vocal cords lose elasticity with age, so singers who use their upper register are at major risk for losing range and sounding awful.

A lot of it comes down to genetics. Guys like Steven Tyler, Glenn Hughes, Dio (RIP), and Sammy Hagar are freaks of nature. For every one of those, there are several singers who have completely lost their range in their 50s or 60s, often through no fault of their own other than not being blessed with the right genes.

I wouldn't even want to hear Steve Perry attempt to sing Journey. He has nothing left to prove. He did a solo album last year...his voice is much raspier and more soulful now, but just listening to him, I don't think there's any way he could recapture what he did in his youth, and that's okay.

Date: January 31, 2020 11:08

<Then you factor in that vocal cords lose elasticity with age, so singers who use their upper register are at major risk for losing range and sounding awful.>

Hence practicing and warming up get even more important with age.

Mick was smart and took the consequences of that as early as in the early 80s. I'm sure Steven did, too, when he sobered up.

However, singers with a high pitched voice, like Steven, has an advantage - as their natural speaking voice cover more ground range-wise. It's easier practicing on getting down tone-wise, than the other way around. Natural hoarseness, like Steven (and Rod Stewart) has also helps a bit, as you can go for the high notes, knowing that you won't be totally off as you'll not hit the "clean", non-vibrating notes anyhow smiling smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 31, 2020 14:07

keefriff99

I'm very sad, but I agree. I also think that Paul has helped to hurt his voice by pretty much back to back touring and during those tours, in many cases, not separating his shows by a few days now and then. Mick has been wiser about preserving his voice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-31 14:09 by steffialicia.

Date: January 31, 2020 14:58

DandelionPowderman

Mick was smart and took the consequences of that as early as in the early 80s. I'm sure Steven did, too, when he sobered up.

However, singers with a high pitched voice, like Steven, has an advantage - as their natural speaking voice cover more ground range-wise. It's easier practicing on getting down tone-wise, than the other way around. Natural hoarseness, like Steven (and Rod Stewart) has also helps a bit, as you can go for the high notes, knowing that you won't be totally off as you'll not hit the "clean", non-vibrating notes anyhow smiling smiley

stevens voice didn't have a super natural raspiness until he started doing a lot of drugs, drinking, etc. it had some but not even close to the way it was by 1978

Date: January 31, 2020 15:06

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

stevens voice didn't have a super natural raspiness until he started doing a lot of drugs, drinking, etc. it had some but not even close to the way it was by 1978

He did have some. Listen to when he reaches for the high notes in Back In The Saddle, for instance.

Date: January 31, 2020 15:33

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman

He did have some. Listen to when he reaches for the high notes in Back In The Saddle, for instance.

yeah he had some but go to pre live 1976 stuff that's out there and when he speaks its not the same as after that. listen even on the studio version of "same old song and dance" when he sings the higher stuff its not as raspy

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home