Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Mick n Keith were ready to replace Charlie if need be for A BIGGER BANG tour
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 23, 2020 14:30

treaclefingers
keefriff99
Rocky Dijon
Sorry, guys. When I look back on 2004 and see Mick and Keith soldiering on with writing and demoing A BIGGER BANG; I never once think if Charlie didn't pull through they would have told Virgin Records, "I'm sorry we can't deliver an album after all" and they would have told Michael Cohl, "I'm sorry, but the huge world tour you put together is off."

Remember what they did when Ronnie needed rehab before BRIDGES TO BABYLON? They brought in Waddy and cut most of the album without him and then when Ronnie was well enough, they let him replace some of Waddy's parts. Had Ronnie not been tour-ready, do you think they would have changed plans at the eleventh hour? Scrapped the album and world tour?

I think it's nice you believe in sentimentality. You probably believe it was Stu's band to the bitter end and they considered him a Rolling Stone even though there are albums where he played no piano at all. He was a sideman. A friend from the start who worked for them in an important capacity and was allowed to sit in when he and they thought it made sense. Fans respond to Keith's sentimental view of Stu. Look honestly at what he contributed after 1965 and you'll see it's precious little. He was surpassed by Nicky, Billy, Mac, and even Chuck as far as recording and touring.

Ronnie would have been gone if he couldn't cut it. No matter what they may say, I don't believe they would have walked away from A BIGGER BANG album-in-progress and the tour Cohl had packaged for them if Charlie couldn't make it.
Again, it's nice so many of you think so. I'm more cynical.
I tend to agree with this assessment. It's not cynical...it's just common sense based on what we know about the Stones an organization.

I concur with this assessment.

But 15 or so years later is a different time. I think anyone, including Ronnie's exit would be the end now.

So I thought I read that Keef enjoyed having Mick Taylor playing with the band again during the 50th and suggested he join fulltime. So if Ronnie could not play would they consider bringing back Mick T, health permitting?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-23 14:32 by oldschool.

Re: Mick n Keith were ready to replace Charlie if need be for A BIGGER BANG tour
Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: January 23, 2020 14:33

I any of the band were too ill or just didn't want to perform anymore I am sure that would be the end. The Stones would never fnd a replace at this stage of there careers I am sure of it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 23, 2020 14:56

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

I hung out with Recille in 1997 or early 98 in New Orleans... a few months later I was at Jazz Fest and there he was, drumming for Bob Dylan. It was supreme - but he'd've never worked with the Stones.

I don't think George even knew Keith then or at least not well. He and Larry Campbell seemed to have started hanging out with Keith at Studio L in Autumn 1999. If I'm remembering right it was with Al Green.

He was friends with Fraboni.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 23, 2020 15:34

Hairball
Charlie was and is indispensable, but I could see them carrying on without Ronnie if they had to - then and now.

They still have Mick Taylor in the background....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 23, 2020 15:58

At the Concert for New York City the Mick-and-Keith-but-no-Charlie line up was introduced as "Mick Jagger." Same as on the DVD box. Not so labile after all.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 23, 2020 17:33

They introduce Mick Jagger and Mick, beaming holds his arm out for Keith to walk up and start "Salt of the Earth." The CD inexplicably reversed the order of the songs they played and censored Mick. It also billed them as "Mick Jagger and Keith Richards."

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 23, 2020 22:39

This story has resulted in yet another completely misleading clickbait headline at the odious Alternative IORR and it's equally contemptible doppelganger S***head Zone.

Date: January 23, 2020 23:57

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 24, 2020 10:13

FlyoverStones
This is not really worth discussing. We will never know the timing of Charlie's diagnosis, treatment and prognosis as it related to the band's contracts and activities. Could it be that they knew he would be ok and needed treatment/recovery and they went ahead and cut the album and made the plans with the assumption he would be alright and ready to tour? We'll never know if it was the opposite either.

And what of Ronnie's lung cancer? It was dealt with quickly and the band rolled on. So here we are guessing again.

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home