Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Do you still dig CD's for listening to music?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 22, 2020 19:06

You can't dismiss all CDs as 'crap', just like you can't say all vinyl is 'fantastic'. Early CDs, of both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were indeed crap. Since then I'd put up the new masters, Beatles '09, and the Stones '02, up against any format. (The Stones '02 SACD remasters might be the only time the Stones really got a leg up on the Beatles. It took them another 7 years before they had a comparable product).

It all depended on how much care went into the manufacture. I bought a Buddy Holly collection in the late 80s that blew me away. I don't know if the original 1950s tapes were that good, or the CD producer knew what they were doing. In contrast I remember hearing Sgt. Pepper on CD in the late 80s and it was flat, and full of hiss.

I have MP3's that are great. I've rarely had a problem with them. I have heard vinyl that sounded really good, especially the 180 gram new releases. But I've got Blu Ray Audio CDs that sound like you are there in the studio, or on stage with the band. (Exile on Main Street Blu Ray is incredible, as is Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East).

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 22, 2020 20:17

Spud
Though was never fan of CD for reasons of sound quality , the thing I've always almost hated most about them is those horrible "Jewel cases" they come in .

The few that come in what are essentially mini cardboard album sleeves give off a much friendlier vibe to this old Luddite.
As a matter of fact jewel cases were designed to store CDs. And they provide good protection. I am talking about old-good heavy plastic (and smooth sided) jewels but not about modern Chinese thin plastic crap.

Those digipaks are flimsy and could be easily damaged while mini-vinyl covers are sources of hairlines and scratches (unless you purchase separately special inner plastic sleeve). One tiny pinhole through the label and your fancy platinum SHM-CD mini-vinyl replica is dead.

24FPS
Early CDs, of both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were indeed crap. Since then I'd put up the new masters, Beatles '09, and the Stones '02, up against any format.
This is generalization. If it comes to early CDs of the Rolling Stones every edition - West German London (A/D transfers were allegedly made at MFSL facilities), ABKCO 1986, remasters 2002 have their moments which could be considered as 'the best version'. Do you like utilization of noise reduction and narrowing of stereo on 2002 remasters? There are quite a few spots there. Do you know better stereo version of Aftermath UK other than old London CD?

Sure, some stuff is terrible, especially on ABKCO 1986 set, something is wrong on London set (speed issues for Beggars Banquet and Between the Buttons to name a few) but you can not call everything crap.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 22, 2020 20:22

Spud
...the thing I've always almost hated most about them is those horrible "Jewel cases" they come in .

The few that come in what are essentially mini cardboard album sleeves give off a much friendlier vibe to this old Luddite.

Most of mine are out the jewel cases and or digipaks (except the 2002 Abkco SACD's) For reasons of the CD stuck in the spindle so tight I might crack it and the static keeping the booklet in became annoying. Ironically it was the mini cardboard sleeves of the 1994 Virgin collectors that was the final straw. If you took them out they would scrape the tops and bottoms of those sleeves as you can see on my Black and Blue CD.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: January 23, 2020 00:55

I prefer the jewel cases though, digipacks can easily rip or get damaged, and once they do you're @#$%&! Whereas a broken jewel case can easily be replaced...

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 23, 2020 04:06

Spin them all the time on the old Sony ES player. Still going strong after 28 years

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 23, 2020 05:45

I was listening to CROSSEYED HEART in my truck, not long after I got it, and I had the case on my hood. As usual in Louisiana, I forgot about it, what can't be done today probably won't get done tomorrow, and wandered off to get more beers and laughed at some lizards and inspected various palms and bananas and it rained and I drank more beer and...

I was a bit inclined to order another copy once I saw how wrinkly it got from the rain but I decided, eh, it's part of the experience, it's Keith, no big deal. The CD still works.

I got the TALK IS CHEAP reissue. I still get CDs and when it comes to movies/series, as much as I enjoy Amazon and Netflix, having the Blu-ray is so much better (and obviously better than DVD, which I still have quite a few of). So, although my Blu-ray collection is only a handful of whatever, my inclination is to only get what I will watch more than a couple of times.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 23, 2020 06:12

FrogSugar
I prefer the jewel cases though, digipacks can easily rip or get damaged, and once they do you're @#$%&! Whereas a broken jewel case can easily be replaced...

I agree, like the jewel cases. My box of Stones boots, shows, outtakes are all in jewel cases.
Which has an advantage. I can look at front and back covers. .

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 23, 2020 10:25

babyblue
I agree, like the jewel cases. My box of Stones boots, shows, outtakes are all in jewel cases.

My digipacks must be unique then, I can turn them over after looking at the front, so as to then see the back. ;-)

Rod

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 23, 2020 18:35

bitusa2012
babyblue

My digipacks must be unique then, I can turn them over after looking at the front, so as to then see the back. ;-)

Digipack will wear out faster than jewel cases.Jewel cases are better protection.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 23, 2020 19:55

I have plastic sleeves for my digi-paks. Anyone interested they're on eBay. Look for the Japanese sellers.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 29, 2020 02:48

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...huuuuuuuuh...still sounds good to these here ears!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 29, 2020 03:39

The first music I owned in the early 80s was on vinyl and cassette. I continued to buy cassettes religiously until around 1990. Then I transitioned to CDs and replaced all my cassettes with the CD versions. Then I was enticed into buying reissues and deluxe editions. Later I started buying vinyl again. I have purchased records like Exile, SF and SG multiple times in various formats over the years.

My CD inventory is about 1000 strong and I still listen to them as we own one car that has a CD player but no satellite radio. Our other car does not have a CD player.

In the house I either play vinyl or stream.

So to answer the question, yes I still listen to CDs.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: January 29, 2020 07:18

Yep on my disc changer five at a time

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 29, 2020 10:12

FrogSugar

That's certainly true.

And to be fair...CDs can sound OK.

The big problem with CD , and the damage it did to recorded music as a consequence , was due to its not yet being anything like good enough when foisted on us in the early 80s as "pure perfect sound forever".

I think the biggest problem with all formats today is poor decisions and skills in the mastering process.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 29, 2020 10:17

ironbelly
Spud
Though was never fan of CD for reasons of sound quality , the thing I've always almost hated most about them is those horrible "Jewel cases" they come in .

As a matter of fact jewel cases were designed to store CDs. And they provide good protection. I am talking about old-good heavy plastic (and smooth sided) jewels but not about modern Chinese thin plastic crap.

Those digipaks are flimsy and could be easily damaged while mini-vinyl covers are sources of hairlines and scratches (unless you purchase separately special inner plastic sleeve). One tiny pinhole through the label and your fancy platinum SHM-CD mini-vinyl replica is dead.

24FPS
Early CDs, of both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones were indeed crap. Since then I'd put up the new masters, Beatles '09, and the Stones '02, up against any format.
This is generalization. If it comes to early CDs of the Rolling Stones every edition - West German London (A/D transfers were allegedly made at MFSL facilities), ABKCO 1986, remasters 2002 have their moments which could be considered as 'the best version'. Do you like utilization of noise reduction and narrowing of stereo on 2002 remasters? There are quite a few spots there. Do you know better stereo version of Aftermath UK other than old London CD?

Sure, some stuff is terrible, especially on ABKCO 1986 set, something is wrong on London set (speed issues for Beggars Banquet and Between the Buttons to name a few) but you can not call everything crap.

There's always an exception to the rule. Yes, I have the West German pressed CD of their first album, and it's great.

Date: January 29, 2020 15:38

Still searching for the CD player that can play a CD with peanut butter on it.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 29, 2020 15:50

I listen to digital now. (mp3)

I started with vinyl in 1966,
went to CD in 1987, and went digital
in 2012.

Date: January 29, 2020 16:00

Chacho

in 2012.

Uh, CD is digital.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: January 29, 2020 16:20

GasLightStreet
Chacho

in 2012.

Uh, CD is digital.

UHHH, I WILL REWORD MY POST FOR YOU!:
=====================================

went to CD in 1987, and went to mp3
in 2012.
=====================================
ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW?!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 29, 2020 16:36

Though cassettes were the most advantageous way to carry music around - it fit in one's shirt or pants pocket, the CD is still my preferred way, due to how quick one can replay a track or search out another one, or just repeat the entire album. I get irritated with download only ep's and songs that leave holes in my collection - there are a lot of Marley songs like this - not from Bob, but from his kids and now grandkids. There aren't even promo cd's to be had of some of these ep's, so if I don't buy the digital version, then I have no hard copy version, and I do like having the hard copy. I have over 3,000 CDs, though currently they are all packed away because my 2nd wife doesn't want any of it in our condo. It is all clutter to her and she doesn't understand my need to buy anything physical - same with Blu-Rays of movies. She is a complete streamer. I still enjoy the purchase and reading thru the booklets.

Date: January 29, 2020 16:39

GasLightStreet
Still searching for the CD player that can play a CD with peanut butter on it.

Don't think you'll find one ...

But I believe Audio Technica market a good electronic Peanut Butter Removal Trantliment .

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: January 29, 2020 21:49

I buy every Stones/Solo album on both CD & Vinyl (& multiple versions of each usually - Coloured /Black Vinyl - CDs - EU/USA/NZ/Japan etc). I never play the vinyl so 90% of them that have been purchased this century are still sealed and will remain so (and yes I know lots of you wont understand that - but I'm a collector, and that's what I do smiling smiley)

I play the CDs daily and don't download any music and dread the day that it may become the only option. Long live all physical formats!!

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2020 02:28

rcfoxy
I buy every Stones/Solo album on both CD & Vinyl (& multiple versions of each usually - Coloured /Black Vinyl - CDs - EU/USA/NZ/Japan etc). I never play the vinyl so 90% of them that have been purchased this century are still sealed and will remain so (and yes I know lots of you wont understand that - but I'm a collector, and that's what I do smiling smiley)

I play the CDs daily and don't download any music and dread the day that it may become the only option. Long live all physical formats!!

oh good, there is another amongst us.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 30, 2020 02:53

more and more, that's what I do, buy physical product from Amazon, download the mp3 immediately and listen to that. By the time the vinyl or cd arrives, its basically obsolete so onto the shelf it goes, still sealed.

Check my post about the Rolex watch with all the paperwork from the seventies. That's all our hopes.

jb

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 31, 2020 23:48

I use Apple Music for everything I listen to, with the exception of bootlegs and more obscure or local releases that aren't available on the service. Gave away my turntable, receiver, speakers and 300 disc CD player, about 300 vinyl records and about as many CDs. Streaming thru two Apple HomePods, saying something like 'Hey Siri, play The Rolling Stones album, Black and Blue' is all I do now 90% of the time. The sound is not audiophile quality, but after a lifetime of loud shows, my ears likely could not pick up the highest highs anyway.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: February 1, 2020 01:28

After buying just a few 45s in the early 80s when I first started caring about music, I came on board as the CD format started and have stayed with it until this day. I also prefer the jewel case and will go out of my way to buy an import CD in that format if it is not available here. Long live the physical format.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 1, 2020 03:42

I did Japan versions of Rarities and Keith's Eileen single to avoid the Digipak.

Date: February 1, 2020 10:15

I'm just a nostalgic dinosaur I suppose.

My favourite CDs in my possession are those in little boxed Bob Dylan anthology that I once received as a present.

They're black cd's, stamped with fake grooves on the label side to look like miniature '60s vintage CBS LPs, in their separate little "album sleeves" . smiling smiley

[They sound pretty good too... which did rather surprise me ]

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home