Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones lecture
Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: January 18, 2020 21:55

Once a month a group of friends (couples mostly) get together and one of us presents a topic to the group. Most of the topics are scientific ones (part of the group are scientists). I'm not a scientist and thought about a topic I'd like to talk about - The Stones.
I'm starting to make a PP with links to pictures and short video parts.
I will name the lecture "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name", will start with "Sympathy" and then I will have about 45 minutes to 1 hour to present the Stones. For me the final statement will be that the stones are today part of an establishment that they themselves helped to change.
Any ideas? Had someone done something similar?

Re: Stones lecture
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:12

Love it! Re: social change, you can include references to the ‘Who breaks a butterfly on the wheel?’ article and subsequent interview, and Keith’s quote that when you kick authority in the teeth, use two feet. Will you share your completed project?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:27

Back in school I always meant to do that, but I realized the available timeframe would not even allow for half the samples I wanted to play smoking smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:28

Should be interesting.

Date: January 18, 2020 22:28

SomeTorontoGirl
Love it! Re: social change, you can include references to the ‘Who breaks a butterfly on the wheel?’ article and subsequent interview, and Keith’s quote that when you kick authority in the teeth, use two feet. Will you share your completed project?

Sure!

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: January 18, 2020 23:32

Just show them “Crossfire Hurricane” on DVD.

That film told the same story that you are going to.

From fighting the establishment to becoming the establishment.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 18, 2020 23:35

….don't forget CS Blues …
Stones were starting own label
Decca kicked up they were owed one
more song and CS is what Stones delivered ….HHhaaaa the ultimate goodbye kiss

ROCKMAN

Date: January 19, 2020 00:03

Rockman
….don't forget CS Blues …
Stones were starting own label
Decca kicked up they were owed one
more song and CS is what Stones delivered ….HHhaaaa the ultimate goodbye kiss

Of course, even if it makes harder the point of the establishment - how a band who sent CSB to fulfill the contract agreed to put together some of the last lame live albums (I even don't remember where it was Rock off horribly edited...)?

Date: January 19, 2020 00:07

SirCorto
SomeTorontoGirl

Sure!

I'll try, since the lecture will be in hebrew

Date: January 19, 2020 01:46

(I even don't remember where it was Rock off horribly edited...)?

I'd skip that bit and maybe
talk about all the different sex & chemical
experiments members of The Stones have taken part in ….

oh yeah ….. Live Licks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 19, 2020 02:01

a present day analysis of the lyrics to "Brown Sugar" ought to enliven the proceedings!

jb

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 19, 2020 02:33

Why not narrow the lecture down to a single subject like why Mick Taylor was a superior guitarist to Ronnie Wood?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 06:46 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 19, 2020 03:07

TornAndFried
Why not just narrow the lecture down to a single subject such as why Mick Taylor was the superior guitarist to Ronnie Wood? winking smiley

Instigator! grinning smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 19, 2020 03:13

I'll be interested to see the final (translated) slides.

I don't know if you want to mention that Mick has a three year old...cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 19, 2020 03:45

Not sure if this is relevant but, aside from their recording rise with The Big 4 one of the most important aspects of their career started with forming their own record label with distribution from Atlantic and, in one sense, achieving a status to where they could release their own greatest hits compilation MADE IN THE SHADE released at the beginning of a 2 year world tour that fired them into another atmosphere with their biggest selling studio LP SOME GIRLS, (edit) followed with another number one album EMOTIONAL RESCUE and its conclusion with a well respected TATTOO YOU, their participating in the dawn of MTV (which, for the Stones, really took off with UNDERCOVER in terms of "making" a music video compared to just wearing dumpy clothes and horribly miming) and another 2 year tour that helped change the concert industry and even resulted in a movie.

The entire era is profound in Stones history, in itself a revolution of the band post-ABKCO Records, with band members being a big part of why (opposed to lawyers) and finding a way to survive and thrive and be a part of the change of the industry in regard to hype/promotion and the respect that they created (which they were able to take advantage of in a multitude of ways starting with the STEEL WHEELS tour and ongoing to this day and into the future).

I guess. I mean, it sounds good. It's probably a history that will fade because it's not as big as The Beatles and Elvis blah blah blah but they really did change the face of the concert industry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 19:27 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 19, 2020 04:40

SomeTorontoGirl
TornAndFried
Why not just narrow the lecture down to a single subject such as why Mick Taylor was the superior guitarist to Ronnie Wood? winking smiley

Instigator! grinning smiley

I agree narrow it down. Do Altamont. Your colleagues will be fascinated

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 19, 2020 04:56

On a side note, there have been covers of Stones songs in Yiddish and Hebrew:

[www.israelnationalnews.com]
[hebrewlearningandtech.com]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 19, 2020 07:17

GasLightStreet
Not sure if this is relevant but, aside from their recording rise with The Big 4 one of the most important aspects of their career started with forming their own record label with distribution from Atlantic and, in one sense, achieving a status to where they could release their own greatest hits compilation MADE IN THE SHADE released at the beginning of a 2 year world tour that fired them into another atmosphere with their biggest selling studio LP SOME GIRLS, their longest number one album EMOTIONAL RESCUE and its conclusion with a well respected TATTOO YOU, their participating in the dawn of MTV (which really took off with UNDERCOVER) and another 2 year tour that helped change the concert industry and even resulted in a movie.

The entire era is profound in Stones history, in itself a revolution of the band post-ABKCO Records, with band members being a big part of why (opposed to lawyers) and finding a way to survive and thrive and be a part of the change of the industry in regard to hype/promotion and the respect that they created (which they were able to take advantage of in a multitude of ways starting with the STEEL WHEELS tour and ongoing to this day and into the future).

I guess. I mean, it sounds good. It's probably a history that will fade because it's not as big as The Beatles and Elvis blah blah blah but they really did change the face of the concert industry.

Not as big as Beatles and Elvis ? can’t see that. I think the Stones’ impact is far and wide just like them Beatles and EP, with the added benefit that The Rolling Stones actually love playing live, obviously !

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: January 19, 2020 10:07

jbwelda
a present day analysis of the lyrics to "Brown Sugar" ought to enliven the proceedings!

jb

That's covered quite well in this book:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

syrel

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 19, 2020 12:07

SirCorto
Once a month a group of friends (couples mostly) get together and one of us presents a topic to the group. Most of the topics are scientific ones (part of the group are scientists). I'm not a scientist and thought about a topic I'd like to talk about - The Stones.
I'm starting to make a PP with links to pictures and short video parts.
I will name the lecture "Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name", will start with "Sympathy" and then I will have about 45 minutes to 1 hour to present the Stones. For me the final statement will be that the stones are today part of an establishment that they themselves helped to change.
Any ideas? Had someone done something similar?

Another angle would be to analyse the music. Their roots clearly in the blues, especially electrically amplified blues, but also in rock n roll (Wyman was at first mocked for liking Jerry Lee Lewis, but later they learnt to appreciate it), country, and during the years adding other styles (reggae, funk, ...)
Also, the special relationship of the band with "rhythm". In modern popular music, it's rare the the guitar player marks the rhythm. The whole triangle Keith - Charlie - Bill, rhythm-wise is interesting. I think there is a quote from Wyman somewhere how he sees that combination. You could also show that clip of the Stones live in 1982 in Wimbledeon, when they start up She's So Cold and it all falls apart. Sometimes a good way to analyse something is when it cracks open (a bit like opening a classical watch). Of course, in blues music (or flamenco, by the way) and in African music, having a string instrument (mostly guitar) marking the rhythm is very common. Hence, there's another way the Stones' approach can be related to the blues.
Then there are various other issues: like non-standard tuning of the guitar (open G mainly), the issue of harmonica-playing (Brian and Mick), the role of producers (especially Jimmy Miller), Charlie Watts and his affinity with jazz, the difference in bass-playing of Wyman vs Keith, M. Taylor, R. Wood and Darryl Jones etc...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 12:09 by matxil.

Date: January 19, 2020 22:43

Let the scientist's know Ronnie
use ta take a Bunsen Burner to parties
so he could smoke Cocaine ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 19, 2020 23:53

Nobody lectures the Stones.

Date: January 20, 2020 00:06

We piss anywhere, man.
......………......... Brian Jones 1965

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2020 00:26

The trials and tribulations of making the new album would be interesting (including the Blue and Lonesome detour), though there's still no conclusion.
Sort of a cliff hanger that will have them begging for part two on the subject, and with any luck you'll be able to tell it before the decade's over.

Date: January 20, 2020 01:36

…. cant believe you didn't
mention the bit about how they
lost their way an careered into Brick Walmart ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2020 06:48

I thought the Blue and Lonesome detour insinuated that - if it weren't for hitting the wall there'd be no Blue and Lonesome.
Maybe they'll hit another wall (if they haven't already) and release another covers album. Like I said, the story has no conclusion yet - it's a true cliff hanger.

Date: January 28, 2020 14:53

Is there any video where (Mick?) in the sixties says that they don't know for how long the will be playing? Barely remember something but couldn't find it

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 28, 2020 15:43

SirCorto
Is there any video where (Mick?) in the sixties says that they don't know for how long the will be playing? Barely remember something but couldn't find it

i dont have the video, but a Rolling Stone interviewer got Jagger talking about the Stones and whether or not they were breaking up, at the time the Beatles had just broken up..

and Jagger said ( paraphrasing here) 'naw, we're not breaking up. and if we did, we wouldnt be as bitchy as them.'
grinning smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 28, 2020 16:06

jbwelda

jb

I actually did my 10,000 word University dissertation on Brown Sugar!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 28, 2020 19:07

I gave a talk at the Cheltenham science festival on the changing face of cancers through the lens of 60s rockers

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home