Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live Versions: Stones and Other Artists
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:41

As I don’t get out much perhaps you could let me know if there are other artists who depart from the studio version of songs as much as the Stones do in concert. For example, Midnight Rambler is a lot different to the recording on Let It Bleed but is brilliant in its own way. Unfortunately, this approach isn’t always as successful, the live performance being somewhat weaker on certain numbers in my humble opinion.

Re: Live Versions: Stones and Other Artists
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:42

Bob Dylan

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:44

some songs are just produced so well in the studio that a live version is hard to come even close to.

I think of Rocks Off and She's So Cold as prime examples that are limp live compared to the studio versions...whereas Gimme Shelter, Rambler, Miss You, OOC etc. seem to get a new lease life.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:58

Led Zeppelin

The Black Crowes

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:05

Springsteen definitely likes to tinker with his arrangements, and do acoustic renditions of his electric songs and vice versa.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:31

ChrisL
Bob Dylan

thumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:41

Yes Dylan sometimes I’ve been at a Dylan concert when he starts to play something and it takes a minute to work out what song it is even though I may have heard it thousands of times before.

Nate

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:54

David Lee Roth

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2020 22:58

Maindefender
David Lee Roth
>grinning smiley<

More like Cubic Zirconia Dave, amirite?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 17, 2020 00:05

The Doors.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 17, 2020 00:17

Check Live At Leeds by the Who for some different interpretations of their 60s material.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 17, 2020 02:00

The Grateful Dead turn studio "turds" into live gold, and those versions can differ from night to night not just tour to tour. The Dead aren't everyone's cup of tea, but as Bill Graham famously said, "They aren't the best at what they do, they are the only ones who do what they do."

I'll second Dylan as well. He changes the arrangements, sometimes the lyrics ("Tangled Up in Blue") for example, the style -- everything. Sometimes it works brilliantly, other times it's a disaster, but it's not boring!

T@3

Date: January 17, 2020 02:03

Neil Young
Spiritualized

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 17, 2020 09:55

ChrisL
Bob Dylan

Bob took this to whole new levels.

Almost as if playing a cryptic version of "Name That Tune"

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 17, 2020 11:26

Harlem Shuffler
As I don’t get out much perhaps you could let me know if there are other artists who depart from the studio version of songs as much as the Stones do in concert. For example, Midnight Rambler is a lot different to the recording on Let It Bleed but is brilliant in its own way. Unfortunately, this approach isn’t always as successful, the live performance being somewhat weaker on certain numbers in my humble opinion.

well, I don't think the Stones really depart from the studio versions of their songs. Each and every live song is very easy to recognize – even for casual fans

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 17, 2020 12:15

slewan
Harlem Shuffler

well, I don't think the Stones really depart from the studio versions of their songs. Each and every live song is very easy to recognize – even for casual fans

Indeed, and to a greater and greater extent ever since 1989.
Even the guitar solos are attempts at copying the studio versions

Date: January 17, 2020 12:16

slewan
Harlem Shuffler

In the late 60s, 70s and early 80s the live versions were very different to the respective studio versions.

Live With Me (1969), YCAGWYW (1972-1982), Time Is On My Side (1981/82), Satisfaction (1969-1971), Stray Cat Blues (1969-1971) are only some of which they made «road versions» of.

Date: January 17, 2020 12:17

Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

If so, they do a lousy job smoking smiley

PS: I know that Ronnie picks some licks from the studio versions (JJF, GS, IORR etc.), but that's not solos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-17 12:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 17, 2020 12:20

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

PS: I know that Ronnie picks some licks from the studio versions (JJF, GS, IORR etc.), but that's not solos.

No maybe they don't even deserve the "solo stample" , it's all "licks and weaving" now.

But there are many examples of them, especially Ron, trying to copy studio versions, or Mick Taylor live solos of the 70s, Can't You Hear Me Knockin being the prime example

Date: January 17, 2020 12:30

Ronnie respects quite a number of MT's more iconic solos ...and cops them very well for the most part.

And I think he think he gets the balance between that and doing his own thing admirably right.

Date: January 17, 2020 13:14

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

No maybe they don't even deserve the "solo stample" , it's all "licks and weaving" now.

But there are many examples of them, especially Ron, trying to copy studio versions, or Mick Taylor live solos of the 70s, Can't You Hear Me Knockin being the prime example

IMO, he merely picks out some memorable motifs and plays his own solos, maybe with the exception of ADTL (but that solo has changed during the years - he does is without slide sometimes etc.).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 18, 2020 01:59

ive been getting into pink floyd a bit recently and i really dig interstellar overdrive, heard some great live versions all very different from each other and the studio version.

best is live in stockholm 1967.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2020 07:33

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

IMO, he merely picks out some memorable motifs and plays his own solos, maybe with the exception of ADTL (but that solo has changed during the years - he does is without slide sometimes etc.).

IMO, he plays his own versions of the solo's partially because he can't duplicate the Mick Taylor solo's no matter how hard he's tried.
He probably realizes this, and says screw it - I'll just make a mess out of it while making it my own in the process.

Date: January 18, 2020 08:19

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

IMO, he plays his own versions of the solo's partially because he can't duplicate the Mick Taylor solo's no matter how hard he's tried.
He probably realizes this, and says screw it - I'll just make a mess out of it while making it my own in the process.

Indeed, that's my opinion as well. Same procedure as making his "art" or self-tribute-paintings in other words

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 08:44 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 18, 2020 10:37

I can't agree with that .

When you want to hear MT's wonderful solos reproduced verbatim from beginning to end , play the bloody record.

For me at least Ronnie pays them just the right amount of respect.

[And don't forget some of the nonsense that MT himself sometimes played on stage in place of his original tasteful work ]

Date: January 18, 2020 10:43

Erik_Snow
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
slewan
Harlem Shuffler

Indeed, that's my opinion as well. Same procedure as making his "art" or self-tribute-paintings in other words

The exception is ADTL, of course, where he has played the solo note for note in the past. He must have had a stroke of brilliance?

Seriously, none of these solos are difficult to copy for Ronnie. They may not sound the same, but I'm sure he chose not to copy.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 18, 2020 12:26

Songs like Jumping Jack Flash, Midnight Rambler, Brown Sugar work very well live. You got me rocking is much better live than on Voodoo. Bitch and Live with me work well live, so do songs with acoustic guitars. The Stones are a great band live - if they are fit. The mistakes are part of their DNA. Two songs that are brilliant in the Studio are much worse when they are played on the stage: Miss you and Start me up. Maybe they can practice a little to catch the original magic. But it probably is too late for that.

Date: January 18, 2020 14:50

If the Stones typically played clubs and small theatres I think the live sound and arrangements may have evolved quite differently ...

But they play mostly huge Stadia and arenas...which leave a lot more room for running about than they do for subtlety of performance !

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 18, 2020 15:09

J Geils Band

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 18, 2020 15:17

Midnight Rambler every time; it shows that, no matter how much they may have diluted their sound post 1989, they, the Stones, are still the premier band, and head and shoulders above anyone else. Furthermore, Live With Me from 1969 live, through to 1971, 1994, etc evolves excellently.

Other artists that changed their music live, and whom I enjoy, are Bob Dylan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Miles Davis, Neil Young. Neil's versions of Like A Hurricane are, nearly all the time, brilliant, be it on the Weld Tour, with Pearl Jam, with Booker T & The MGs, and Unplugged. Miles doing So What with Coltrane was totally different to Miles barrelling through it at the Plugged Nickel with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter. Likewise, Jerry Lee doing She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye live at the International, 1970, and then live at Hammersmith, 1983, or Third Man more recently, is different but excellent.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1518
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home