Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The 38 best Rolling Stones songs, chosen by 57 different musicians
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 14, 2020 21:53

Interesting article the Stones linked to on Twitter.
[twitter.com]

Some great quotes in here...Like these from Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters on Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
"I love the format of Bohemian Rhapsody and Stairway To Heaven and Band On The Run – those ‘journey’ songs that go from point A to point B to point C and point D, and end up somewhere completely different to where they started. Can’t You Hear Me Knocking is the Stones’ ‘journey’ song. It’s almost their version of prog rock, if you will. It takes you down this route that you don’t know where it’s going to end. And I’m not sure they did when they were writing it.
I’ve seen the Stones a bunch of times live, and it’s always the same. They start, and it’s like they’re not even sure what song they’re supposed to be playing. But two or three songs in and it’s congealed into something amazing. Then for the next two hours you’re completely enamoured with what’s still the greatest living rock’n’roll band of all time."

[www.loudersound.com]

Re: The 38 best Rolling Stones songs, chosen by 57 different musicians
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 22:06

Very interesting. However, this is curious...Phil Mogg was 10 in 1958. What the hell does this have to do with YGMR?

You Got Me Rocking

Phil Mogg, UFO: I saw the Rolling Stones play with Englebert Humperdinck in Walthamstow in London, but I must stress I was only ten years old. Jagger was in shorts at the time, too. You can’t beat that lyric: ‘I was a butcher cutting up meat/My hands were bloody, I’m dying on my feet’.

When Pete Way [former UFO bassist] was in the band, and I used to ask him to play that one for me all of the time. I love the Stones, but the unfortunate thing with them is that you tend to forget they’re a rock band. There’s so much publicity, gossip and general hoo-hah about them, the fact that they’re an R&B-flavoured group can easily be forgotten. That’s a shame. Put the media circus aside and they’re one of the best white R&B bands this country has ever known

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2020 22:31

…. and Jagger in shorts …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 14, 2020 22:41

A nice read.
Some musicians have a Stones connection
I wouldn´t have expected.

Date: January 14, 2020 23:11

Hardly surprising that Francis Rossi picked a boogie rocker like MR smiling smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 23:58

Thanks, good to read.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 15, 2020 08:46

Thanks, Nice read.

Slash went for “Let it loose” and he loves his stones. I’ve always thought that was one of Jaggers best vocals. The guitars and the Leslie amps just add a nice feel. It’s the sound of a sex hangover grinning smiley

Nice to see Doom & Gloom get a mention
“@#$%& me, the Stones have still got juice in the tank." That was my thought on hearing it also!

I came never understand why “She said yeah” doesn’t make these lists. That song makes me want to break things like a hyper little kid grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 08:48 by Paddy.

Date: January 15, 2020 09:29

Paddy
Thanks, Nice read.

Slash went for “Let it loose” and he loves his stones. I’ve always thought that was one of Jaggers best vocals. The guitars and the Leslie amps just add a nice feel. It’s the sound of a sex hangover grinning smiley

Nice to see Doom & Gloom get a mention
“@#$%& me, the Stones have still got juice in the tank." That was my thought on hearing it also!

I came never understand why “She said yeah” doesn’t make these lists. That song makes me want to break things like a hyper little kid grinning smiley

It's a cannonball of a rocker indeed! However, other bands did it before the Stones did their cover (The Beatles, too, if memory serves). That might be why people won't mention it as their best work?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 15, 2020 10:25

Paddy
Thanks, Nice read.

“She said yeah” .... That song makes me want to break things like a hyper little kid grinning smiley

Me too . Punk before its time.grinning smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2020 14:40

Bitch is the single greatest Keith track ever recorded...the extended version on Sticky Fingers deluxe is everything you need to know about one of rocks best guitarist.....that's the ticket.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:05

I'm surprised Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes went w/ "Tumbling Dice"

Seems a bit "mainstream" for him.

I figured he'd go w/ "Torn & Frayed" (which the BC have covered a few times).

Truth be told, I'm surprised nobody went w/ "T&F"...it's such a good description of bands dragging around playing dumps - which I assume lots of these bands did ("barrooms and smelly bordellos, dressing rooms filled w/ parasites")

"doctor prescribes drugstore supplies, who's gonna help him to kick it?" - that line is more relevant today than when it was written.

That being said: "Gimme Shelter" is their best song.....but, "Sympathy" is the best Rn'R song of all time, if you get my point.

Slash is too cool...I never woulda thought he'd go w/ "Let it Loose"

.....oh...and MR is their best live tune, followed by PIB...esp. in Latin America.

IMO.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:09

stickyfingers101

"doctor prescribes drugstore supplies, who's gonna help him to kick it?" - that line is more relevant today than when it was written.

Good line yourself, SF101.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:15

ChrisL
stickyfingers101

Good line yourself, SF101.
Absolutely.

Date: January 15, 2020 16:16

stickyfingers101

Truth be told, I'm surprised nobody went w/ "T&F"...it's such a good description of bands dragging around playing dumps - which I assume lots of these bands did ("barrooms and smelly bordellos, dressing rooms filled w/ parasites")

That being said: "Gimme Shelter" is their best song.....but, "Sympathy" is the best Rn'R song of all time, if you get my point.

.....oh...and MR is their best live tune, followed by PIB...esp. in Latin America.

IMO.

Rich is a musician, and TD is the perfect recording (one of, perhaps, three that the Stones ever made, imo). I suspect that is «clouding» his judgement, too smiling smiley

But I'm with you. It was a surprising choice.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:30

Reading what other musicians hae to say about the Stones is a reliable headscratcher

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:40

DandelionPowderman

TD is the perfect recording (one of, perhaps, three that the Stones ever made, imo).

Just curious, Dandy, what are the other two, iyo?

Date: January 15, 2020 16:41

"you can't beat that lyric about the butcher cutting his meat"

Date: January 15, 2020 16:45

"i love the format of those journey songs without a format"

Date: January 15, 2020 16:58

"The background music is so rythmic, but the vocal... he just sings normal. I was never too much into the Stones until recently, but they did want me to join them in the 70s. I just hung up and didn't call them back because I didn't have their number of course" dude what

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: January 15, 2020 17:17

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking lists like this seriously when obvious typos are made.

"Mary" Clayton?

"Under Cover of the Night?''

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 15, 2020 17:19

DandelionPowderman
stickyfingers101

IMO.

Rich is a musician, and TD is the perfect recording (one of, perhaps, three that the Stones ever made, imo). I suspect that is «clouding» his judgement, too smiling smiley

But I'm with you. It was a surprising choice.

I think I'd like TD more if they didn't play it every night...I like the tune, but playing it every show adds that "overkill" factor that songs like HTW, MR and PIB don't have....for me, at least.

Date: January 15, 2020 17:29

ChrisL
DandelionPowderman

TD is the perfect recording (one of, perhaps, three that the Stones ever made, imo).

I'm thinking recordings, where everything just clicks sonically.

I'd say Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice and perhaps Gimme Shelter are songs in that category.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 15, 2020 17:33

stickyfingers101

Why? I hear a lot of TD in "Jealous Again"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 15, 2020 18:03

Paddy

Got me curious to hear/see it played live. After finding this rendition.. I don't recall ever seeing Keith wear eye-glasses before live.
Great song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2020 22:39

Larry Williams was like the
Keith Richards of R&B …. Bad Boy indeed ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2020 02:05

How someone thinks You Got Me Rocking is a best Stones song shows that there are huge imbalances in the world.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:22

There’s always one on the fringe

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:55

Good to see such a wide selection from every era. Even Doom and Gloom...underrated that one. YGMR though is one they've tried to make a latter day standard but it just doesn't stick.

OOC and SOM are far better. Even SSMC or DB off ABB are better carriers of the torch.

Date: January 16, 2020 04:10

DandelionPowderman
ChrisL
DandelionPowderman

I'm thinking recordings, where everything just clicks sonically.

I'd say Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice and perhaps Gimme Shelter are songs in that category.

She's So Cold is a brilliant recording.

Date: January 16, 2020 04:11

loog droog
stickyfingers101

Why? I hear a lot of TD in "Jealous Again"

I remember thinking that when I first heard Jealous Again - this is just Tumbling Dice. At least they lifted from a great one.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home