Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Blue plaque crawdaddy club site Richmond
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 11, 2020 17:47

Passed today and new sign “ at this place Fe 24 1863 the Rolling Stones kicked off their career and met the Beatles “ wording not quite right but I’ll upload photo

Re: Blue plaque crawdaddy club site Richmond
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 11, 2020 18:17

EJM
Passed today and new sign “ at this place Fe 24 1863 the Rolling Stones kicked off their career and met the Beatles “ wording not quite right but I’ll upload photo

1863 – I always knew that they are real old but until now I didn't realize that they are that old!

Date: January 11, 2020 18:35

I thought they met the Beatles on the 1792-tour? winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 11, 2020 19:05

Glad an official plaque went up.
When there in '18, had a bit of trouble figuring out which building it was cool smiley

Realize there are strict parameters on the plaques, but do they ever name other things like highways or bridges after people there? (pardon my ignorance ; )
Common here to rename a portion of a highway after someone etc.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 11, 2020 19:27

It's not an "official" plaque placed by English Heritage.
It was installed by Music Heritage London.

[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 11, 2020 20:35

So they didn’t really kick off their career there?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 11, 2020 20:53

DandelionPowderman
I thought they met the Beatles on the 1792-tour? winking smiley

love that!!!

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:11

Another blue plaque: in Tynemouth, a few miles outside Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

A little background. Jimi's manager was Chas Chandler who was the bass player in the Animals (from Newcastle). When Chas brought Jimi to the UK he intoduced him to all manner of English culture including fish and chips.
Whenever I take my daughters to the UK they always want to eat where Hendrix ate. . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 23:12 by ElGeordie.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:49

They don't issue "official" Blue Plaques for venues, only for people (and I think the people have to be dead, so don't wish for any Stones ones just yet!) Anyway, there used to be a sign at No.1 Kew Road describing its history as the Crawdaddy, but the place has changed owners several times and in its current incarnation there hasn't been any proper acknowledgment of its past for some years now. I'll have to have a look next time I'm passing.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:55

No - it’s not at all an official blue plaque but at least a bit more of an acknowledgement than the previous miniscule sign

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:18

They need to put one down at Teddington Locks where the BBC studio is/was, and the river scenes in hard days night were filmed. I went there visiting a friend in the hood and the old guy at the gate said he was there when the Beatles were filming the movie and showed me around some. Kool old guy and I verified his stories with a sound engineer who works there occasionally.

jb

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:38

Looks more like a sticker in the window than an actual plaque.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 12, 2020 01:12

Green Lady
They don't issue "official" Blue Plaques for venues, only for people (and I think the people have to be dead, so don't wish for any Stones ones just yet!) Anyway, there used to be a sign at No.1 Kew Road describing its history as the Crawdaddy, but the place has changed owners several times and in its current incarnation there hasn't been any proper acknowledgment of its past for some years now. I'll have to have a look next time I'm passing.

Yes, the individual concerned has to be dead for at least 20 years.
So, what about Brian Jones: Courtfield Road (no 1), except I think the buildings have changed? Anyway, cannot see Brian getting one!
John Lennon has one at Montagu Square where he famously got busted in 1968. I dont think he lived there very long (Ringo owned the flat). Somehow, getting a plaque for a short term residency doesnt seem quite right.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:42

Deltics
Looks more like a sticker in the window than an actual plaque.

Deltics, that looks as though it is at the rear entrance of the building, not the main Kew Road frontage opposite the station.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2020 12:46

jlowe
Green Lady

So, what about Brian Jones: Courtfield Road (no 1), except I think the buildings have changed? Anyway, cannot see Brian getting one!
John Lennon has one at Montagu Square where he famously got busted in 1968. I dont think he lived there very long (Ringo owned the flat). Somehow, getting a plaque for a short term residency doesnt seem quite right.

I believe its 30. According to what the guy who does the tour of the Beatles childhood homes in Liverpool told me when I was there in 2012 (theres one outside Lennon's house but not outside McCartney's)

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 12, 2020 13:08

Gazza
jlowe
Green Lady

I believe its 30. According to what the guy who does the tour of the Beatles childhood homes in Liverpool told me when I was there in 2012 (theres one outside Lennon's house but not outside McCartney's)

I think the 20 years is quoted on the English heritage website.
I bet John would see some dark comedy in all this: 'they' acknowledge his presence at a house (the London flat) where he got busted...the consequences of which took a great toll years later when he was applying for permanent US residency.
Still, nice to see the childhood homes recognised (and for people to visit via The National Trust).
I wonder what Macca thinks of the lack of a plaque on his home? He is still very competitive.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 12, 2020 17:09

I would imagine he's quite happy that there's no plaque at his home as it means he's still alive.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 20:46

Koen
So they didn’t really kick off their career there?

Well Koen, I'm sure you understand what they mean with "kicked off" cool smiley
Historically the Ealing Jazz Club (and after that the Marquee Club, the latter announcing Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones, including "g"), both playing a major role halfway 1962, should be mentioned before the Crawdaddy Club, but ah, the April 24 "kick off" has Charlie and Bill as full members. No big deal though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2020 22:17

….only seasoned tramps develop blue plaque ….

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home