Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Your top 3 rare RS stuff?
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 16, 2020 21:34

DandelionPowderman
Is "Sparks Will Fly" the same show as "Miami Dice"?

No, if it's what I have...."Sparks Will Fly" is Giants Stadium 8/14/94 - partial show. Maybe it's just the audio of that VHS/DVD "Live Voodoo Lounge", but not to be confused with the (also partial) "Voodoo Lounge" VHS/DVD of Miami.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: January 17, 2020 15:53

I have only those that are sitting on the fence between field 'rare' and field 'hard to get'
1. Tattoo You [CP35-3032], Japanese 'black triangle' CD in smooth-sided, Patent Pended jewel case and with original 'Golden Price Sticker' (a.k.a. pre-OBI edition).
2. Les Annees Stones [London 5071]. 8-tracks picture disc French only CD promo in card sleeve.
3. Both versions of Still Life [WEA-Atlantic 39113-2] 'target' CD. I.e. the one with MADE IN || WEST GERMANY on the label at 6 o'clock and another with MADE IN WEST || GERMANY BY POLYGRAM. Both in original smooth-sided, Patent Pended jewels.

Date: January 17, 2020 17:05

floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman

No, if it's what I have...."Sparks Will Fly" is Giants Stadium 8/14/94 - partial show. Maybe it's just the audio of that VHS/DVD "Live Voodoo Lounge", but not to be confused with the (also partial) "Voodoo Lounge" VHS/DVD of Miami.

So Keith screwed up both SFTD-solos? smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2020 17:16

Hairball
I have that Voodoo mobile gaslight hanging from the ceiling at my studio, along with a Licks inflatable blimp.

There was a promotional LICKS blimp? That's hilarious.

This VOODOO mobile?

I'm guessing it's the only one that was made.

Date: January 17, 2020 17:18

Hairball
And the tongue shaped vinyl of She Was Hot

I forgot I have that one. I think. I'll have to look one of these days. It may be the 45 but I thought I got the 12".

Date: January 17, 2020 17:21

bitman
Not the rarest thing I own, but a pretty cool display nonetheless.

What is that called? As in, it's not a mobile... just a display?

Date: January 17, 2020 17:29

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
I had a VOODOO LOUNGE desk top cut out and a hanging mobile but they got destroyed.

So...

1. ON THE ROAD by Chet Flippo - a book I will die with.

2. STILL LIFE... import (CD)? I have no idea how I came across it but it's a bit different than the North American release.

3. SPARKS WILL FLY 1994 bootleg. I have SEVENTH OF JULY, which is pretty damn good, but I love the version of Shattered from the 8-14-1994 show so that's why it's tops (and they excellently screw up Street Fighting Man).

What's different about the "Still Life" import? Is it just the packaging or is the actual tracklist different? I have that "Sparks Will Fly" boot and the "Seventh of July" as well. I don't remember the SFM screw up on 8/14/94...I'll have to listen to it again...but I do remember really liking Shattered on that tour.

I won't be able to look at it for a while since I've got things boxed up with my girlfriend moving out and having to rearrange my house but from what I can recall, it seems to have some kind of summary about the US tour, as if it's some kind of radio station copy. The packaging is slightly different in places but that's all that's different.

Date: January 17, 2020 17:30

DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman

HAHA! I wish! SFTD isn't on SPARKS.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 17, 2020 17:33

I like also my Volkswagen Voodoo Lounge collection. Missing some things but think I have most of it.

Date: January 17, 2020 20:55

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage
DandelionPowderman

HAHA! I wish! SFTD isn't on SPARKS.

Ah, ok grinning smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 17, 2020 21:07

I think that IORR display is called a counter top display, sent out to record stores around the time of the album release.

I would pay for that, its muy kool.

jb

Posted by: bitman ()
Date: January 17, 2020 23:40

The display is just that, but it is larger than a countertop display. Measures a couple feet tall.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 18, 2020 00:26

my Top 3

1.French first LP on blue label far hardiest to get that the one with black label
(I've only seen it once)

2.Multicolor greek Decca Single

3.A single from Congo

HMN

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: January 18, 2020 02:04

Always a difficult question... but maybe these items:

1. Signed UK Promotional Album RSM.1
2. Test pressing of "Golden B Sides" from 1973. Planned release by Decca but never released.
3. CD.... Japanese Woodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir pressed less than 20 copies

And a few other ones...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: January 18, 2020 15:20

Jan Richards

2. Test pressing of "Golden B Sides" from 1973. Planned release by Decca but never released.

And a few other ones...
Jan, I sincerely believe that there is no such a thing as 'pressed less than 20 copies'. Even for test pressings. This is either an urban legend or marketing trick. I heard it many times with regard to The Greatest 3 [SPCD-1524-26], Voodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir [SPCD-1481] or Terrifying [CSK 1897]. It is not worth to start glass mastering if the pressing run is less than 500 (these are the words from a man from industry). However, I can buy a statement 'less than 20 copies survived after the disc was called off and the pressing run was destroyed'. Still, this looks like a marketing from a dealer winking smiley.

Date: January 18, 2020 17:10

<]. It is not worth to start glass mastering if the pressing run is less than 500>

That was correct 30 years ago, but not today.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: January 18, 2020 17:52

OMG, this is like choosing a favourite child! Loads of interesting answers here... there are just so many dimensions, absolute rarity would make me choose one off unique items but favourite would lead me down another path! Shooting from the hip, 10 of my favourite collection items...

1) 1st Contract - Charlie's favourite item in Exhibitionism
2) IBC Acetate - Yes it's widely circulated content but this is a historic piece
3) April 13th 63 Concert Poster - a cancelled concert but the earliest concert poster I have ever seen
4) Albert Hall 64 Concert Poster - THE best venue in the world with the best band
5) Street Fighting Man Picture Sleeve - So infamous it's a jewel in any collection
6) UK Promotional Album white label unboxed Decca - Is there another one out there or is this the rarest version of one of the all time rare records
7) Ronnie's 1978 diary - pure gold, recording notes, lyrics, ideas, births etc...
8) Andy Warhol Love You Live Polaroid of Mick - Top grade Art
9) Keith drawing of Ronnie on a plane
10) My tour laminates...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 18:02 by mattleeuk.

Date: January 18, 2020 18:47

DandelionPowderman
<]. It is not worth to start glass mastering if the pressing run is less than 500>

Let me remind you that it is 2020 outside and we are talking about the discs from 1989 and 1995, i.e. 25-31 y.o. stuff. winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2020 19:02

I am inclined not to believe only 20 were pressed although just because something is uneconomical doesn't mean to say it didn't or couldn't happen. The Japanese are know for fabulous quality. I don't know anything of them being destroyed but I do know even the highest ranking insiders didn't get these and having spent years collecting I have only had three different copies, two of which I still own. I know where about 7 or 8 are in total. It is certainly genuinely VERY rare on a par with Street Fighting Man (in terms of pure rarity). There is always a fierce debate about the Promotional Albums. It is documented that only 200 UK (RSM1) records were pressed and I have only had 3 regular copies of this. It is often misreported (IMHO) that there are only 200 USA ones too... however there are always a few available at anytime on eBay and other sources where as an RSM1 comes up for sale every few years if you are lucky. I have owned at least 20 RSD1's (the US version) and have 4 or 5 at the moment. It's not a perfect measure but as a very active collector I have a pretty good idea of genuine level of rarity....

ironbelly
Jan Richards

And a few other ones...
Jan, I sincerely believe that there is no such a thing as 'pressed less than 20 copies'. Even for test pressings. This is either an urban legend or marketing trick. I heard it many times with regard to The Greatest 3 [SPCD-1524-26], Voodoo Lounge Tour Souvenir [SPCD-1481] or Terrifying [CSK 1897]. It is not worth to start glass mastering if the pressing run is less than 500 (these are the words from a man from industry). However, I can buy a statement 'less than 20 copies survived after the disc was called off and the pressing run was destroyed'. Still, this looks like a marketing from a dealer winking smiley.

Date: January 18, 2020 19:32

ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

Let me remind you that it is 2020 outside and we are talking about the discs from 1989 and 1995, i.e. 25-31 y.o. stuff. winking smiley

I'm aware of that, but you wrote in present tense winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2020 19:35

mattleeuk
I am inclined not to believe only 20 were pressed although just because something is uneconomical doesn't mean to say it didn't or couldn't happen. The Japanese are know for fabulous quality.
Matt, it is not about economy only, but also about internal politic of the company (and dealers). Noone ever heard The Who - Who's Next initial CD because S. Hoffman found the master tape. The 1st run was recalled before it hit the stores and completely destroyed. This is known fact. The same could possibly happen with Tour Souvenir. If it was recalled on the early stage, not too many leaked. But less than 20 copies pressed - is nonsense.

A few years ago people were paying hundreds for Too Great To Make You Wait and these days we have a copy on auction every week from the same seller. He definitively has a box of those and kept it sealed for 30 years.

And believe me, sometime a relatively conventional CD as hard to get as the one we are talking about. How many here have transitional PolyGram-to-PDO pressings of Beggars Banquet [800 084-2]. Those were made in 1986-1987. I am aware of 3 variants and have 2 in hands. Nothing special, just pre-PDO West German blue-and-red London CD packed in with the booklet from the 1st pressing.

Or how many people have this one

Matrix: 820 133-2 02+ MADE IN GERMANY BY PDO (probably 1990-1991)
This is not rare promo, just a regular CD with DECCA but not London label and it was in the stores smiling smiley

PS. Projecting 200 UK (RSM1) and 3 regular copies of this that you own onto 'have only had three different copies, two of which I still own' we can say that the pressing run of Tour Souvenir was of about the same. In 1st approximation winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2020 19:50

DandelionPowderman
ironbelly
DandelionPowderman

I'm aware of that, but you wrote in present tense winking smiley
Even today LBR and clean room are not cheap toys winking smiley And mind booklets, they were not made on glossy color photo paper using regular printer.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2020 20:03

GasLightStreet
Hairball
I have that Voodoo mobile gaslight hanging from the ceiling at my studio, along with a Licks inflatable blimp.

There was a promotional LICKS blimp? That's hilarious.

This VOODOO mobile?

I'm guessing it's the only one that was made.

Yes that's the mobile, and yes there was a Licks blimp!
Not "promotional" per se as it was sold on their website along with bobbleheads, etc., etc., etc., so not something I would consider a "rarity".
The blimp is actually quite nice (apprx. 3 ft long give or take) and somewhat sturdy - it's still inflated with my breath from 2002/03! lol...
I'm 99% sure I have a second one still sealed in package somewhere in the "vaults" as I bought a bunch of stuff during the blowout sales,.

Images found via google search:

Date: January 18, 2020 20:31

The blimps were the coolest merchandise item on that tour and sold out before the end...

They were the must buy item and were quickly changing hands at many times the $20 they original cost.

The Voodoo Lounge mobile is a promotional item sent to record stores for display.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 18, 2020 21:31

The blimp is super cool. I remember seeing the real one flying around Madison Square Garden in 2002, loved that. Unfortunately didn't see it here in Europe 2003. Did anyone? The bobble heads are cool too.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 19, 2020 03:27

Whats the consensus on the Exile on Main Street 7" record box that was available from the official store? I bought one and love it but I doubt its all that rare, although it was certainly aimed at a niche market with 7" singles.

jb

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 19, 2020 13:11

Voodoo lounge set issued by Tower Records, comes in a film can includes: CD, T-Shirt, Postcard, Sticker and a watch in miniature wooden guitar case. Limited to 1000 copies and I have a copy with the original receipt still inside.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 14:02 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 19, 2020 13:12

Original draftsman’s pencil drawn top copy (not the carbon backing sheet). Ariel view of the lighting set up for the lotus stage from the 75 TOTA. Dated March 1975 for Estimate only, client Rolling Stones, Jules Fisher associates NYC.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 14:34 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: January 19, 2020 15:10

Here are my top items:

1. Picture and pass of my meet & greet with the band
2. Fully signed 2003 tour program
3. 1975 entourage pins
4. 1972 tour press kit
5. 1982 tour itinerary
6. The Pleasure of pain promo CD
7. Steel Wheels coin set
8. 1969 backstage pass pin
9. 1971 backstage pass pin
10. No Security road case tour crew gift

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 19, 2020 15:20

henrik87
Here are my top items:
1. Picture and pass of my meet & greet with the band
2. Fully signed 2003 tour program

Nice...where and when??

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home