Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT - RIP Neil Peart
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2020 02:56

keefriff99
Knowing how much of a perfectionist introvert Neil was, that story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I'm sure the only thing on his mind at the time was the tempos he had to play that afternoon. He hated being fawned over and would actively avoid contact with any fan who did the standard, "You're a GOD, man! I'm you're biggest fan!"

I think the less believable part of the story is Charlie actually wanting to watch Neil. I'd think Charlie would look at Neil as an overly-busy gimmick percussionist.

Neil had some jazz chops, too. There's some footage of Neil at a Buddy Rich tribute on youtube. That would be right up in Charlie's wheelhouse.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:11

keefriff99
I'm sure the only thing on his mind at the time was the tempos he had to play that afternoon.

When a friend of mine who went to P.I.T. showed some of the faculty the Rush Drum notations he wanted to learn they were astounded at the intricacies of the material and repeated snap changes in tempo.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:20

!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-13 04:21 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2020 04:32

Original BLACK SABBATH Drummer BILL WARD Pays Tribute To NEIL PEART

Neil Peart

Original BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has paid tribute to Neil Peart, who died on Tuesday (January 7) in Santa Monica, California after a three-year battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer.
The iconic RUSH drummer was 67 years old. Earlier today, Ward took to his social media to write:

"Red Barchetta has become even more potent today after the news of your passing. Red Barchetta is sad today, and fondly reminding my wife and I of times and places long gone, but still sweet in our hearts.
What is left is a life's work to praise, converse about, to be in awe of, knowing the world is a better place for your triumphs. What you did in the moments you had, what you created, lends itself to the richness of life,
and for those who embraced your passion and love, I believe we are better for it. My wife and I respectfully thank you. Our condolences to family members, friends, fellow musicians, and the fans. RIP Neil.

Love, Bill Ward"

Ward previously talked about Peart during an August 2015 episode of his radio show "Rock 50". He said : "He's an absolute must for the student — if there's young students who wanna say, 'Who shall we listen to? Where can we find guidance?' I would always recommend, 'Go and listen to Neil Peart.' What I like about him is I like the way that he pushes his crescendos with the lyric. It makes the lyric even more than what the lyric is; he's marvelous at that. And that's almost like an orchestrational — or is an orchestrational movement. In addition to that, he's a wonderful jazz player, in my opinion. And I don't know how he feels about that; I just love his playing and his technique." He continued: "I think he's one of the most incredible drummers I've ever heard in my life. A beautiful man from a beautiful band."

Peart joined RUSH in 1974. He was considered one of the best rock drummers of all time, alongside John Bonham of LED ZEPPELIN; Keith Moon of THE WHO; and Ginger Baker of CREAM. Peart was also RUSH's primary lyricist, drawing inspiration from everything from sci-fi to Ayn Rand.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 13, 2020 06:13

I feel sad another great artist is gone.Neil was one of the greatest drummers of all time. Thanks brother for all the music, RIP.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 13, 2020 15:26

crholmstrom
keefriff99
Knowing how much of a perfectionist introvert Neil was, that story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I'm sure the only thing on his mind at the time was the tempos he had to play that afternoon. He hated being fawned over and would actively avoid contact with any fan who did the standard, "You're a GOD, man! I'm you're biggest fan!"

I think the less believable part of the story is Charlie actually wanting to watch Neil. I'd think Charlie would look at Neil as an overly-busy gimmick percussionist.

Neil had some jazz chops, too. There's some footage of Neil at a Buddy Rich tribute on youtube. That would be right up in Charlie's wheelhouse.
Neil definitely had a love for jazz and big band swing...he studied with Freddie Gruber and Peter Erskine in the '90s to shore up his jazz chops, and helped organize Buddy Rich tribute concerts and produced two "Burning for Buddy" tribute album.

Neil Peart - Cotton Tail (1994)

Neil himself said he was unhappy with this performance and that it didn't swing enough. I think he was too dialed into the rock world to really "get" swing and jazz, but it was a noble effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-13 15:30 by keefriff99.

Date: January 13, 2020 22:40

I was fortunate to at least get to seem them once.
The musicianship and sound from three Canadian lads... Wow, all I can say is just, Wow....

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: January 13, 2020 22:54

It struck me that RUSH, AC/DC and the Stones all played the SARS concert in 2003...

Since then, AC/DC has lost Malcolm, RUSH has lost Neil, and the Stones will probably be filling stadiums this summer.

I take no pleasure in saying that, as I love all three bands, but it's just another testament to the Stones' insane degree of longevity.

Posted by: harleybla ()
Date: January 13, 2020 23:05

Was lucky enough or old enough to see them in Ottawa for the Moving Pictures tour in 1981 and most of the following tours until Snakes and Arrows tour in 2007.

Test for Echo Tour 1997 was a highlight for me since they played 2112 in its entirety.

What a band, what a show , they were great every time.When Neil would kick into his solo you knew you were in for a treat,he will be missed. RIP Neil

Date: January 14, 2020 02:12

keefriff99
It struck me that RUSH, AC/DC and the Stones all played the SARS concert in 2003...

Since then, AC/DC has lost Malcolm, RUSH has lost Neil, and the Stones will probably be filling stadiums this summer.

I take no pleasure in saying that, as I love all three bands, but it's just another testament to the Stones' insane degree of longevity.

I've got a feeling the bad boys from down under will be playing your local stadium in not too distant future. Heard a rumour that they will have an original bad boy, Alice Cooper, opening. Make it so!

Date: January 14, 2020 05:12

crholmstrom
keefriff99

I've got a feeling the bad boys from down under will be playing your local stadium in not too distant future. Heard a rumour that they will have an original bad boy, Alice Cooper, opening. Make it so!
Oh I know they'll be back, but without Malcolm it just doesn't feel the same.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:26

keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99

I saw them in 88 in Vancouver when Stevie first replaced Malcolm. No internet so very few people knew at the time! Alice would be awesome opening for AC/DC.

Date: January 14, 2020 15:11

DGA35
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99

I saw them in 88 in Vancouver when Stevie first replaced Malcolm. No internet so very few people knew at the time! Alice would be awesome opening for AC/DC.
Yeah, I've read that Stevie looked so much like Malcolm back then that fans had no clue he was in rehab.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 19, 2020 16:23

Beautiful article from the Toronto Star

[www.thestar.com]

Date: January 19, 2020 17:05

SomeTorontoGirl
Beautiful article from the Toronto Star

[www.thestar.com]

nice article. thanks for the share.

Date: January 20, 2020 01:01

So this dipshit, Sully Erna of the band Godsmack, made some claims about Neil's condition in the months leading up to his death that I don't even want to repeat, but I'll post the article:

Sully Erna on Neil Peart

One of RUSH's closest and oldest friends, Donna Halper, refuted the claims:

Donna Halper refutes Sully Erna's claims about Neil Peart

It just makes me sick to see these guys coming out of the woodwork to insert themselves into such a sad story. Erna had no business sharing those details, and all it did was make people horribly sad. What a dick.

Date: January 20, 2020 01:23

keefriff99
So this dipshit, Sully Erna of the band Godsmack, made some claims about Neil's condition in the months leading up to his death that I don't even want to repeat, but I'll post the article:

Sully Erna on Neil Peart

One of RUSH's closest and oldest friends, Donna Halper, refuted the claims:

Donna Halper refutes Sully Erna's claims about Neil Peart

It just makes me sick to see these guys coming out of the woodwork to insert themselves into such a sad story. Erna had no business sharing those details, and all it did was make people horribly sad. What a dick.

the Gobsmack singer says he's close to Neil's assistant & then admits he only met Neil a few times. anything to get in the news, pretty slimey. a little surprised there's been nothing from the Stones camp about Neil. i know they aren't in the same type of music really but Rush is much respected & reports are they are salt of the earth nice guys. i can't say i've really been a fan for decades but still listen to some songs a little. i was into the prog thing when i was young but punk did that in. recently i tried to listen to some old faves from Yes & Genesis. couldn't do it. 2 guitars, marshall stacks & a cloud of dust i say!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:44

In 2012 I was working for Rush and became friendly with Neil Peart's drum tech, Loren. One afternoon before a show Loren asked if I would do him a favor and polish Neil's drums and hardware while he took care of some other things. He gave me some spray cleaner, a couple of soft cloths and a toothbrush and I worked on it for about 2 hours and don't think I even made it around the whole setup! In contrast, I've helped set up Charlie's kit and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish!

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 14:14 by TornAndFried.

Date: January 20, 2020 01:48

TornAndFried
In 2012 I was working for Rush at and became friendly with Neil's drum tech Loren during the day. He asked if I would do him a favor and polish Neil's drums and hardware while he took care of some other things. He gave me some spray cleaner, soft cloths and a toothbrush and a and I think I worked on it about 2 hours and don't think I made it all around the whole setup. In contrast, I've helped set up Charlie's kit before and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Great story! I've seen Loren interviewed about Neil's kits and he seems like a sweet guy. He must be quite a perfectionist to pass Neil's muster.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 20, 2020 01:54

keefriff99
TornAndFried
In 2012 I was working for Rush at and became friendly with Neil's drum tech Loren during the day. He asked if I would do him a favor and polish Neil's drums and hardware while he took care of some other things. He gave me some spray cleaner, soft cloths and a toothbrush and a and I think I worked on it about 2 hours and don't think I made it all around the whole setup. In contrast, I've helped set up Charlie's kit before and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Great story! I've seen Loren interviewed about Neil's kits and he seems like a sweet guy. He must be quite a perfectionist to pass Neil's muster.

Yes, Loren was a nice guy and definitely a pro when it came to taking care of Neil Peart...not an easy job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 08:32 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 20, 2020 05:02

keefriff99
DGA35
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99

Yeah, I've read that Stevie looked so much like Malcolm back then that fans had no clue he was in rehab.

Yes, small stature, long hair, jeans and t shirt on stage.

OT - RIP Neil Peart
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2020 21:56

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home