Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - RIP Neil Peart
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:13

Poor Geddy and Alex.

Geddy has been doing a pretty extensive signing tour for his massive "Big Beautiful Book of Bass" tome, and he's been repeatedly asked about the possibility of a reunion...and every time, he was wistful and reticent when he answered.

Now it's obvious why. So, so sad.

Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 03:28

What a talent. I've seen them times and they always blew me away with musicianship.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:31

Neil Peart drum solo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 04:34 by LeonidP.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: January 11, 2020 04:35

This one hits hard... RIP Neil

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 11, 2020 05:41

LeonidP

Neil Peart drum solo!

MONSTER!! RIP Mr. Peart

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: January 11, 2020 12:29

Unfortunatly, I've never seen Rush in concert.

RIP Neil Peart

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 11, 2020 14:09

[youtu.be]

From David Letterman drummers week

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2020 14:33

If one can like someone they never met, I liked Neil.

Ironic that one of their biggest songs, "Limelight", was something he avoided.

Very sad...

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 11, 2020 15:12

I was never a huge Rush fan but always admired Neil Peart, Went to see the band in the early 80's purely to see him drum and I was blown away!
RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-11 17:07 by Ket.

Date: January 11, 2020 16:48

LeonidP

Neil Peart drum solo!
One of my favorite solos of Neil's ("Der Trommler")...an incredible composition full of inventiveness, precision, and energy.

I'm so glad I got to see RUSH six times before they disbanded.

Date: January 11, 2020 17:02

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 11, 2020 18:48

Very sad. RIP Neil. He was a great drummer and wrote those amazing Rush lyrics and just listen to 2112 its a masterpiece from beginning to end.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 11, 2020 18:56

SomeTorontoGirl
A lovely clip with Neil appearing on the Rick Mercer Report

What a great clip! What a great drummer. I always thought Neil was very private with not much of a personality. How wrong I was, sorry for doubting you Neil.

RIP. Definitely one of the greatest.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 11, 2020 18:56

nick
Never commented in an RIP topic before. Had to this time.

Me too.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:39

Rush is probably the only rock band where the crowd plays air drums more than air guitar!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 12, 2020 02:48

I'd like to see Geddy and Alex, when they recover from all this, get back together and do what they do best..time will tell (and hopefully heal).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 12, 2020 02:56

Herald Sun / The Age --- 12 January 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:10

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 12, 2020 03:17

Broke the mold, there will be never again as great as mister peart

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 12, 2020 09:37

SomeTorontoGirl
I went digging for this story - of Neil meeting Charlie when Rush played at the SARS concert in 2003.

[ndnation.com]

A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."
He spoke again, smiling, "Hello, I'm Charlie Watts."
"Oh!" I said, taken aback, "Hello." And I shook his hand.
He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"
I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

Geddy e-mailed me later and mentioned that scene:

"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!"

I find it absolutely incredible that a major rock drummer would not recognize Charlie Watts, especially when they were on the same bill that day of the festival. Charlie must have been on a donkey with an American top hat.

Saw Rush once in Buffalo in the 80's, RIP Neil.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 12, 2020 10:28

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 12, 2020 12:20

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl
I went digging for this story - of Neil meeting Charlie when Rush played at the SARS concert in 2003.

[ndnation.com]

A short, older man stepped up to me, sticking out his hand and saying something I couldn't hear. Thinking "Now who's THIS?" I took out one of my ear monitors and said "Sorry, I couldn't hear you."
He asked if we were going on soon, and I said yes, any minute, and he said, with a twinkle, "I'm going to watch you!"
I suppose if I could have felt more pressured, that might have done it, but I was already at maximum intensity - there was no time to think of Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones, watching them on The T.A.M.I Show or Ed Sullivan when I was twelve-and-a-half, hearing Satisfaction snarling down the midway at Lakeside Park, Gimme Shelter at the cinema in London, listening to Charlie's beautiful solo album, Warm and Tender, so many times late at night in Quebec, or any of the other million times Charlie Watts and his band had been part of my life.

"BTW, I will never forget that moment before we went onstage when Charlie Watts came over to shake your hand (at the worst possible moment!) and watching your face go through all the motions of... a. who is this old guy? b. what does he want? c. oh for god's sake it's Charlie Watts!"

I find it absolutely incredible that a major rock drummer would not recognize Charlie Watts, especially when they were on the same bill that day of the festival. Charlie must have been on a donkey with an American top hat.

it looks like Neil was in the "zone" right before going on stage to perform in front of hundreds of thousands of people. much like an athelete which is an apt comparison given the intensity of his drumming style.

Date: January 12, 2020 16:06

This is one of my favorite videos ever.

Neil, Geddy, and Alex let the documentary crew for Beyond the Lighted Stage film them having dinner together. They get progressively tipsier on wine and the conversation gets HILARIOUS.

Absolutely delightful, and shows what true friends these three were. Their band wasn't just a business arrangement for them:

Dinner with Rush

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 12, 2020 20:00

Excellent drummer...
RIP Neil.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 12, 2020 22:07

Amazing lyricist, drummer, Canadian, human.

A very sad week for Canada.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 13, 2020 00:51

crholmstrom
The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl

[ndnation.com]

it looks like Neil was in the "zone" right before going on stage to perform in front of hundreds of thousands of people. much like an athelete which is an apt comparison given the intensity of his drumming style.

You're being quite generous. Were talking about seasoned long time veterans, not wide-eyed rookies. Besides, 98% of the people in the audience are just unseen or a blur. Singers and guitar players are out in front. He was very good at his craft. Drummers could easily make errors nobody would notice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2020 01:45

Neil looks more than thrilled to meet Charlie:

Date: January 13, 2020 01:59

Knowing how much of a perfectionist introvert Neil was, that story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I'm sure the only thing on his mind at the time was the tempos he had to play that afternoon. He hated being fawned over and would actively avoid contact with any fan who did the standard, "You're a GOD, man! I'm you're biggest fan!"

I think the less believable part of the story is Charlie actually wanting to watch Neil. I'd think Charlie would look at Neil as an overly-busy gimmick percussionist.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 13, 2020 02:16

Nice pic - thanks Hairball.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2020 02:18

SomeTorontoGirl
Nice pic - thanks Hairball.

thumbs up

Credit - somewhere on facebook.
Saved it yesterday, but forget which page it came from.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home