Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Boxing (Albums Edition): AFTERMATH vs. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS
Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: January 11, 2020 21:35

Uk version of Aftermath is one of their best LPs. Between the Buttons is a hidden treasure

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: January 11, 2020 22:18

What a dumb post . Why do you post one album against the other. Both are beautiful, in their own right . Get a life.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 11, 2020 22:51

Tonstone
What a dumb post . Why do you post one album against the other. Both are beautiful, in their own right . Get a life.

I'm just asking the Stones community which one they like better. It's a fun way to see everyone's personal preference. Maybe it's you that needs to get a life? thumbs up

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: January 11, 2020 22:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-12 11:22 by GeorgV.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 11, 2020 23:04

Itunes sucks and I can't find either of those CDs right now. The albums have their merit but I listen to Let It Bleed. Buy yourself a clue

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:02

I'm used to the US versions. I think AFTERMATH was their first great album and A gets the nod for the better of the 2.

I like BTB's punk attitude combined with the far outness and Dylanesque phrasing but it's probably their weirdest LP, unless, of course, you count TSMR.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 12, 2020 00:14

I think you really had to be there to truly appreciate BTB, moreso than Aftermath. It was a period where everyone was beginning to turn on, to weed, to acid and just to life. It was a pop music period. For me, that record really symbolized something picture yourself in a boat on a river with plasticine porters with looking glass ties. That sort of thing. Hard to explain but it really seemed a lot better back then than it may now. The clichés weren't so cliched back then and we were so much older then, we're younger than that now.

And if that makes no sense, welcome to the circus.

More grounded, I think I loved pretty much every track on the album back when I was 16 years old. Plus it was a really good sounding original record (the UK one anyhow, I think they sent the US subsidiary 20th gen submasters because it never sounded as rich as the uk version), well dampened bass and well rounded highs.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 04:42

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
Brian’s contributions on the English version of BTB seem minimal.And the songs he does contribute to other than Yesterday’sPapers and whose been Sleeping Here are mannered and boring..He contributes more to even Beggars Banquet.For me ,BTB is the Stones worst album of the 1960s.

Organ on She Smiled Sweetly, Banjo on Cool, Calm and Collected, recorder on All Sold Out, harmonica on Who's Been Sleeping Here, organ on Complicated, brass/mellotron on Something Happened To Me Yesterday.

Take away those contributions and you'll find it's not really "minimal" after all smiling smiley
None of those are as good as his playing on Beggars

Date: January 12, 2020 16:29

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
Brian’s contributions on the English version of BTB seem minimal.And the songs he does contribute to other than Yesterday’sPapers and whose been Sleeping Here are mannered and boring..He contributes more to even Beggars Banquet.For me ,BTB is the Stones worst album of the 1960s.

Organ on She Smiled Sweetly, Banjo on Cool, Calm and Collected, recorder on All Sold Out, harmonica on Who's Been Sleeping Here, organ on Complicated, brass/mellotron on Something Happened To Me Yesterday.

Take away those contributions and you'll find it's not really "minimal" after all smiling smiley
None of those are as good as his playing on Beggars

That's just a matter of taste. Personally, I find the organ lovely on SSS. And the stuff on SHTMY is both hilarious and well-played.

It's a different album, with different music. Brian did a good job.

Date: January 12, 2020 18:28

JordyLicks96
Tonstone

I'm just asking the Stones community which one they like better. It's a fun way to see everyone's personal preference. Maybe it's you that needs to get a life? thumbs up

Apologies !!! Jordy my post was dumb.Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 12, 2020 23:02

both highlight the diversity of the band and its ever changing sound and both contain filler, however i choose aftermath as i feel the strongest songs are slightly better than buttons, although i think buttons is underrated and has hidden classics, maybe next week i,ll go for a draw.

Date: January 12, 2020 23:13

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Take away those contributions and you'll find it's not really "minimal" after all smiling smiley[
That's just a matter of taste. Personally, I find the organ lovely on SSS. And the stuff on SHTMY is both hilarious and well-played.

It's a different album, with different music. Brian did a good job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-12 23:16 by Taylor1.

Date: January 12, 2020 23:33

I thought Keith claimed he played organ on SSS.I also read Nietchze playedit.I just think Brian’scontributions to Beggars are better.Also underated.He May have played some guitar on Parachute Woman and SOTE.Plus guitar and mellotron harmonica on JJ Flash

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 13, 2020 00:40

I think what weakens BTB is the track Something Happened To Me...its the last track and is what sometimes leaves the impression that this LP was a laugh. Its not though. That one track is a bit lightweight, that's all. Not nearly as lame as what was to come (On With The Show, anyone?)

jb

Date: January 13, 2020 11:11

Taylor1
I thought Keith claimed he played organ on SSS.I also read Nietchze playedit.I just think Brian’scontributions to Beggars are better.Also underated.He May have played some guitar on Parachute Woman and SOTE.Plus guitar and mellotron harmonica on JJ Flash

Yes, I also was under the assumption that it is Keith on organ; and Bass.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:31

I know the Keith-quote, regarding She Smiled Sweetly. We had this discussion here before, though, and I got arrested big time by His Majesty on this, as he had it straight from the horse's mouth (or as close to it as possible):

«Andrew Loog Oldham told me Brian plays organ on She Smiled Sweetly».

Brian on organ on SSS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-13 11:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 13, 2020 14:49

JordyLicks96
Tonstone

It appears to be obvious that Tonstone missed the other one.

Date: January 14, 2020 00:26

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
Tonstone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-14 05:41 by Tonstone.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: January 14, 2020 00:47

buttons was as bad as tsmr

here's one way to think about it

RUBBER SOUL - DEC 67
AFTERMATH - APR 66
aftermath was a reasonable response to rubber soul; not as good as rubber soul but pretty damn good and at least in the conversation.

REVOLVER - AUG 66
BETWEEN THE BUTTONS - JAN 67
here's where the band really begin to pale in comparison to their rivals. buttons is maybe 1/8th as important as revolver in the history of rock/pop.

SGT PEPPER - MAY 67
TSMR - DEC 67
nuff said

THE BEATLES - NOV 68
BEGGARS BANQUET - DEC 68
much more like the aftermath/rubber soul debate. the beatles is probably better, more influential, but beggars is certainly a worthy competitor.

ABBEY ROAD - SEPT 69
LET IT BLEED - DEC 69
very possibly a victory for the stones! abbey road is flawless and HUGE commercially but you can certainly make the argument that bleed is more momentous and of its time and just plain good.

all that being said, buttons is not even in the same league as aftermath, imho.

of course EVERYTHING in this post is ridiculously subjective and completely unverifiable! (except for the fact that it is mostly correct ...)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2020 01:14

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: January 14, 2020 01:37

i always figgered u for a paulie man rockee

Date: January 14, 2020 01:39

This would have been a better Between the Buttons: Lets Spend the Night Together/ Yesterday’s Papers/SSS/Sitting on a Fence/My Obession/Ruby Tuesday/Back Street Girl/Who’s Been Sleeping Here/Miss Amanda Jones /connection/and the finale ,Have You Seen Your Mother Baby

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 02:00

its the old beatles always better than the stones argument again.

my opinion is peppers is overrated, buttons is underrated, satanic is underrated and better than peppers, pik floyds piper at the gates of dawn has psychedelic stuff on it that blows the beatles away, and if you like your music, intense, more aggresive, soulfull and emotional then the stones is always better than beatles.

havent we all decided that stones are better than the beatles, my conclusion is the beatles could have released ba ba black sheep and it would be considered better than anyone else.

its lazy journalism and been going on for decades, the narrative is the beatles were the best band ever, the most innovative and influencial. i think they are the most overrated and have gotten away with recording some crap, love me do, yellow submarine, obla di obla da, get back are not good songs, they would be dissed if anyone else released them.

satanic majesties, between the buttons, aftermath would be considered classics if the beatles released them, the beatles were always treated differently to everyone else, so they always won the popularity conntest. cos they were the good guys and the stones were not the good guys, and were hounded for that reason. if were talking music only, stones are the best ever.

Date: January 14, 2020 02:38

i always figgered u for a paulie man rockee

Heck Laz if I was strapped in
the 'lectric chair on the edge
of a cliff I'd most likely go for Lennon …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2020 06:08

I've learned to appreciate and enjoy buttons67's anti-Beatles propaganda posts- the absurdity makes me smile every time I read them!

Date: January 14, 2020 06:29

…. Yeah but its the same
when Laz works so hard ta belt The Stones ……..
Surely theres a Beatles site where he can play skippy amongst friends

ROCKMAN

Date: January 14, 2020 15:41

Tonstone
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
Tonstone

Tonstone, did it occur to you at all that I hadn't read your response yet?

You don't look for sunspots or jump off bridges, do ya?

Date: January 14, 2020 21:35

Why they released BTB and Flowers the same year is strange.Had they added Let’s Spend the Night Together ,Ruby Tuesday,Sitting on a Fence,HaveYouSeen Your Mother Baby to the UKVersion of BTB, and removed Please go aHome All sold Out and Cool Calm Collected they would have had a top 7Stone’s Album

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 14, 2020 21:56

1.UK Aftermath
2.UK Between the Buttons
3.US Aftermath
4.US Between the Buttons

This is my least favorite period of the band, when they were more poppy...but the UK versions are slightly less poppy (without things like Ruby Tuesday, etc.) so the UK versions are slightly better. Still, I generally skip from '64-'65 straight to Jumping Jack Flash.

Date: January 14, 2020 22:37

GasLightStreet
Tonstone
GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
Tonstone

Tonstone, did it occur to you at all that I hadn't read your response yet?

No offense intended.Probably not my best time to respond to posts.Please don't be offensive until you realise what people are going through. I won't be Jumping of Bridges, But Sunspots would be a nice.

You don't look for sunspots or jump off bridges, do ya?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home